• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Necro hype !

Let's just hope they won't make something that will end-up mandatory in dungeons, that's something that should be looked at in the base class.

As far as skins are concerned, sword and hood ? or pauldrons ?
That's actually a funny thought. If any of these elite specs end up having a, say, 5% DPS increase over base specs for the same class in whatever turns out to be the optimal party combination (and unless they make these specs narrow I can see this happening when there are 5 slots for 18 specializations among the 9 classes, and so a number of different combinations and synergies to consider), then we'll immediately hear a cry of P2W.

Retro

That's actually a funny thought. If any of these elite specs end up having a, say, 5% DPS increase over base specs for the same class in whatever turns out to be the optimal party combination (and unless they make these specs narrow I can see this happening when there are 5 slots for 18 specializations among the 9 classes, and so a number of different combinations and synergies to consider), then we'll immediately hear a cry of P2W.

I would agree except that this is an expansion, and power creep is pretty much an unspoken bullet point. If they were unlocked via the gem store, then absolutely, but something about an expansion makes it okay even if gamers should object to power creep in any form.

Having said that, I agree with your earlier post comparing Elite Specializations to the release of new Magic: The Gathering expansions. The new stuff will seem incredibly powerful at first and there will be a big shift towards it, until people learn what's actually good and what sounds good (remember when people were flipping tables over Stone Heart?) and the meta settles a bit. I can remember when Ice Age came out and everyone was creaming their undies for cards like Jester's Cap and such, but eventually people sorted things out and realized these super powerful cards are situational or not as incredible as they sound.

Semi-related tangent:
For folks who haven't been through an MMO expansion before, it's going to be an interesting experience and I'm kind of curious to see how they'll react to the whole noisy affair. As a general rule, there will be a class that everyone perceives as the "winner," it will see a huge uptick in play and become the "Flavor of the Month." Every other class will be angry about it and demand radical buffs or nerfs (usually nerfs, MMO players are careful not to let their jealousy show).

ArenaNet can take their usual route and let the meta settle on it's own and then work things out from the data in their own time... or they can take the Blizzard route, overreact to the vocal minority and Kneejerk Nerf that shit back into oblivion (anyone who played around WotLK will remember the one week Paladins were everywhere in force and then suddenly the red- pink-headed stepchild again.)

Once things sink in a bit, maybe after some minor tweaks, things will settle back down again... at least I hope. I haven't bought an expansion since Cataclysm and stuff like Reddit and Twitter hadn't quite taken off at that point and enabled so much bile to flow so quickly over so much of the community. I don't envy anyone on the profession design or community teams, that's for damn sure. Lucky for us, we'll probably all be too busy having fun to notice (and if I do, I'll make it a point to avoid importing Reddit / Official Forum drama here).

Proven

I would agree except that this is an expansion, and power creep is pretty much an unspoken bullet point. If they were unlocked via the gem store, then absolutely, but something about an expansion makes it okay even if gamers should object to power creep in any form.

That's a good point. Besides the fact that there will always be a few that pop up on the official forums and will complain, they shouldn't even be the vocal enough minority and get drowned out.

Retro

That's a good point. Besides the fact that there will always be a few that pop up on the official forums and will complain, they shouldn't even be the vocal enough minority and get drowned out.

Well, the reason they're able to create so much noise is that there's nothing else to drown them out; the majority of people are okay with what they have and/or are too busy playing to complain. Almost no one goes to the official forums to be positive (and when they do, they get called white knights or fanboys and that's the end of that.) For some people, when they get curbstomped in PVP or WvW their first reaction isn't to figure out what they did wrong or try to get better, it's to hit the forums and write about how unbalanced the game is and how much so-and-so class needs to be nerfed; that's just how some people tick. At least with GW2 we shouldn't need to worry too much about PVE since no one is stealing roles from each other (for example, when WotLK hit all of the other tanks were complaining that Death Knights were better than they were.) We can just enjoy all of our new toys and figure out how we're going to mesh them with each other.

In theory. Drama Llamas are a nuisance species, after all.

I don't think so. I think it sends a message like: "hey. buy our new shit or you can't keep up".

And I loved in Guild Wars 1 how the expansions didnt gave an unfair advantage. Yes, the meta changed, but it changed all the time. There wasn't any 5% increased flat out damage for Ritualists and Assassins and all the new skills when Factions came out.
It was a great product and people didn't need to be baited into buying it. It's horizontal benefits of choice spoke for it.

I am buying the expansion (of course) but I would be very sad if elite specializations are more powerful than base professions. To me the entire prospect of this is that Elite specs can make it feel like that there are 18 classes running instead of 9.
If that is not the case then everything remains the same, only classes have their icon and name swapped out for some new mechanics.

It would be a missed opportunity, and a gating for new players. It always sucks when you are coming to a new game and you have to buy these obligatory expansions because the power creep is gated. I am not interested in only seeing Druids running around in meta. If Rangers suck and you are gimping yourself unless you go Druid with -%5 damage flat out. That would really, really suck.
And it doesn't really make sense. They are making expansion that cuts off so much of the bullshit. no stat increase, no gear treadmills, no level cap increase, no massive wasted soon-to-be-desolate-land-mass. Why would they do all this to enforce a horizontal playstyle, only to add new specs that are more powerful than the old ones?

Meta @ As in, the new things will be everywhere in the beginning is of course expected. People dont know how to deal with the new skills, tactics and people need time to beat the synergy of the new specs. But that's not flat out more powerful. That's just learning to play with the new tools. I am fine with seeing all the new elite specs dominate. Changing meta is fun. It shows an organic and lively community that can 1up each other.
I just hope they won't favor elite specs over base. Elite specs are supposed to be more tools in the toolbox, not your class ascended to super sayan IMO!

But I might be unreasonable. I dunno!

Retro

I don't think so. I think it sends a message like: "hey. buy our new shit or you can't keep up".

And I loved in Guild Wars 1 how the expansions didnt gave an unfair advantage. Yes, the meta changed, but it changed all the time. There wasn't any 5% increased flat out damage for Ritualists and Assassins and all the new skills when Factions came out.
It was a great product and people didn't need to be baited into buying it. It's horizontal benefits of choice spoke for it.

Well, we were talking about how people would claim that the expansion is Pay-2-Win because the Elite Specs will be perceived as more powerful when it's just that everyone will be playing with these new options and it will take some time for people to figure out how to counter them. Together those two things give the impression that the Elite Specs are 'better' when in fact it's just the fallout of substantial additions.

You're gonna see the Elite specs everywhere, and you're going to see Revenants everywhere, but that doesn't mean they're any better than what's already in the game. Just different and new. Eventually things will even out, and if they don't I'm sure ArenaNet will take their time and make careful changes to nudge things back towards the middle.

I just hope they won't favor elite specs over base. Elite specs are supposed to be more tools in the toolbox, not your class ascended to super sayan IMO!

Nope, I'm in 100% agreement with you here, they should be horizontal upgrades only. And with the lack of a new gear tier or level cap being such an important part of the expansion, I think they're aware how they have to keep Elite Specs under control. But that doesn't mean you won't see them everywhere and it doesn't mean there won't be a lot of complaints from people who don't understand how things work.

Morokh

Elite specs are supposed to be more tools in the toolbox, not your class ascended to super sayan IMO!

I totally agree with this and that's why i'm a little bit concerned when specifically for the Necro everyone puts their hopes for the lack of party utility in this new specialization.

The change in party utility should come from the base class, (and we have no sign of that yet) and after the specialization might build and/or expand on it, shouldn't be the other way around.

Nope, I'm in 100% agreement with you here, they should be horizontal upgrades only. And with the lack of a new gear tier or level cap being such an important part of the expansion, I think they're aware how they have to keep Elite Specs under control. But that doesn't mean you won't see them everywhere and it doesn't mean there won't be a lot of complaints from people who don't understand how things work.

Anet has always been a big proponent of horizontal progression in guild wars. After 10 years of playing their games, I don't see them changing this. You, of course, correct that everyone and their dog will be scrambling to use elite specs.

spiritfox

I totally agree with this and that's why i'm a little bit concerned when specifically for the Necro everyone puts their hopes for the lack of party utility in this new specialization.

The change in party utility should come from the base class, (and we have no sign of that yet) and after the specialization might build and/or expand on it, shouldn't be the other way around.

Given the changes to base Guardian that was shown in the last few weeks, I highly doubt base Necro will escape unchanged.

Well, we were talking about how people would claim that the expansion is Pay-2-Win because the Elite Specs will be perceived as more powerful when it's just that everyone will be playing with these new options and it will take some time for people to figure out how to counter them. Together those two things give the impression that the Elite Specs are 'better' when in fact it's just the fallout of substantial additions.

You're gonna see the Elite specs everywhere, and you're going to see Revenants everywhere, but that doesn't mean they're any better than what's already in the game. Just different and new. Eventually things will even out, and if they don't I'm sure ArenaNet will take their time and make careful changes to nudge things back towards the middle.

Well that is perfectly fine, and I agree with that. The cool thing is that we don't only get a new class, but all the specializations, so I feel like there is the chance for a lot of new stuff that will look different.
I have two Warriors and two Rangers for lvl 80, just for this purpose:) So one can remain stationary and one can go for the elite spec. I am sorta worried that I should have done it with Necro instead hehe.

Did anybody notice that in both chrono and dragonhunter promo videos, we didn't see any new armors? Do you guys think this is a sign of that they are not going to add new elite-specced armors? like, there won't be any "dragonhunter" looking armors? But that might be too much.

Retro

Did anybody notice that in both chrono and dragonhunter promo videos, we didn't see any new armors? Do you guys think this is a sign of that they are not going to add new elite-specced armors? like, there won't be any "dragonhunter" looking armors? But that might be too much.

There were new armor pieces in both: the Mesmer shoulder and Guardian gauntlets. Part of the unlock process for Elite Specializations is a new, exclusive armor piece and weapon skin (Guardian unlocks a bow, Mesmer a shield).

I'm thinking Necro will be a hood, based on the art. And a greatsword, obviously.

Explored Snowden Drifts for a few hours.

Vilnia Shadowsong has a neat little room I've never really appreciated before.

n0ilxHN.jpg

eGwYxlu.jpg

There's also a quaggan at Lashoosh who sings a couple of songs I've never heard before.

http://a.pomf.se/hwgiof.webm
http://a.pomf.se/hdgjal.webm

Ashodin

There were new armor pieces in both: the Mesmer shoulder and Guardian gauntlets. Part of the unlock process for Elite Specializations is a new, exclusive armor piece and weapon skin (Guardian unlocks a bow, Mesmer a shield).

I'm thinking Necro will be a hood, based on the art. And a greatsword, obviously.
Ripped off man. Hood looks baller.

Something I noticed a few days ago: when you shoot a pistol, you can hear the bullet shell hitting the ground. Based on what surface you're standing on (e.g. wood/stone/metal/sand etc), it sounds different, JUST LIKE REAL LIFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdOpLXC5cLU

I know this isn't groundbreaking for modern games or anything but I thought it was great

Zeroth

Starting to think the reason HoT was announced so early was so that they could commit all resources to it and justify the current content lull. The lack of updates is something given we were used to semi regular content.

Starting to think the reason HoT was announced so early was so that they could commit all resources to it and justify the current content lull. The lack of updates is something given we were used to semi regular content.

Right now this game is so boring all am doing is my dailies and killing teq, they need to give us a price already..

aember

I hit Lv74 this morning and also for the first time tried to do the first dungeon with some random people. It went by smoother than I expected!

I've also got some cool looking gear, but I'm super excited for the heavy human T3 cultural armor, it's probably the coolest set I've seen in the game.

Still need to properly find time to try the fractals though, I keep getting my hopes up and then stuff comes along and says "nah, you've got other stuff to do."

leng jai

I hit Lv74 this morning and also for the first time tried to do the first dungeon with some random people. It went by smoother than I expected!

I've also got some cool looking gear, but I'm super excited for the heavy human T3 cultural armor, it's probably the coolest set I've seen in the game.

Still need to properly find time to try the fractals though, I keep getting my hopes up and then stuff comes along and says "nah, you've got other stuff to do."

Are you UltimateIke's double account?

Levyne

Banned
Even though I haven't really played necro other than to get two gifts of exploration after crafting one up to 80, that was still a very interesting read. Thanks for posting

Well, the reason they're able to create so much noise is that there's nothing else to drown them out; the majority of people are okay with what they have and/or are too busy playing to complain. Almost no one goes to the official forums to be positive (and when they do, they get called white knights or fanboys and that's the end of that.) For some people, when they get curbstomped in PVP or WvW their first reaction isn't to figure out what they did wrong or try to get better, it's to hit the forums and write about how unbalanced the game is and how much so-and-so class needs to be nerfed; that's just how some people tick. At least with GW2 we shouldn't need to worry too much about PVE since no one is stealing roles from each other (for example, when WotLK hit all of the other tanks were complaining that Death Knights were better than they were.) We can just enjoy all of our new toys and figure out how we're going to mesh them with each other.

In theory. Drama Llamas are a nuisance species, after all.
DKs still are the best tanks. Heck, a team comprised of nothing but tank spec DKs beat the hardest current raid boss.

Proven

A lot of people are set on "Banshee" being the Necro elite spec name, but that seems kind of unlikely.
I don't think it will either. Still, whatever we get it will likely be a set of utilities powered by Life Force, unless they add a mechanic on the level of Alacrity for the Chronomancer.

It actually makes me wonder if I should look towards the Revenant for inspiration...

Retro

Reminder for folks who haven't logged in today; Rox's quiver and Belinda's greatsword (the Katana skin) are both in the Gem store today. That can't possibly be a coincidence with the Guardian and Necro reveals. Those both show up pretty rarely so if you've been wanting to get them this is your chance.

Ashodin

Reminder for folks who haven't logged in today; Rox's quiver and Belinda's greatsword (the Katana skin) are both in the Gem store today. That can't possibly be a coincidence with the Guardian and Necro reveals. Those both show up pretty rarely so if you've been wanting to get them this is your chance.

Got a new build rocking Belinda's Greatsword already son

Retro

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...ts_earning_report_1q_15_stable_sales_for_gw2/
NCsoft published the earnings report for 1Q 15. The announcement of HoT and the frequent sales created more interest in the game. Therefore we see a slight increase in the sales for the first quarter;
  • GW2 sales: 20 bln kr Won after 19,3 bln in 4Q 14
  • sharp declines in sales for L1 and Wildstar
  • higher sales for B&S fueled by B&S Taiwan
Conference Call:
  • GW2 sales are classified as solid and strong
  • progression of expansion development goes on smoothly
  • they mentioned the currently running invitations for beta tests
  • global market of games tends toward free-to-play
Bkv05M6.jpg
For what it's worth, 20 billion Won is the equivalent of $18,290,800 USD. The "excluding royalty" bit makes me think the total is much higher and this is after ArenaNet takes their cut.

In other news, Lineage 1 is still a g'damn immortal beast and Wildstar is on an express elevator to hell.

zulux21

is there a reason why the cost of gold to gems is skyrocketing these last few weeks?

a month ago it was 57 gold for 400 , and each week since it has gone up by like 5. earlier today it was 77 for 400.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...ts_earning_report_1q_15_stable_sales_for_gw2/

For what it's worth, 20 billion Won is the equivalent of $18,290,800 USD. The "excluding royalty" bit makes me think the total is much higher and this is after ArenaNet takes their cut.

In other news, Lineage 1 is still a g'damn immortal beast and Wildstar is on an express elevator to hell.

I am surprised Aion is doing so well. It's doing really well. Hell if you go to their official forums I reckon there is more activity there than i TERA. But I sometimes forget that Aion has WoW level system requirements!

As for Belindas greatsword, I am sitting waiting for tha_shamans leaked versions of it, in Dagger and One-handed sword formats. Where are they?
And where is the glowing "Bankai" ascended version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom