• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus XBLA/PSN |OT| [NA PSN version is dated for 12/4]

Busaiku

They published it in America though. And didn't Arcana Heart 3 take a shitload of time to go from Arcade to home consoles despite having lifeless backgrounds, blurry sprites and the the grace of a run of the mill Doujin fighter?

If that game had shitty netcode, that thing would have nobody playing it. I rather play Blazblue than Arcana. At least there's fun to be had with Tager.

But that's my point, the game wasn't designed with netplay in mind, I highly doubt Examu cares about the home market at all, yet ArcSys made it work.
They were just lazy with this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
GGs Onemic. I gotta say that apart from a couple dips, the netcode wasn't as shit as usual.

Vice

Who are some of the easier chatcters in the game to learn? I play Capcom fighters abd generally pick characters who can put up barriers( Rose, Urien, Nova) if that helps.

Rhapsody

Banned
Who are some of the easier chatcters in the game to learn? I play Capcom fighters abd generally pick characters who can put up barriers( Rose, Urien, Nova) if that helps.

Sol, Ky, and Potemkin are the easiest. Sol or Ky don't have barrier of that sort. Potemkin does but he is a grappler. Eddie has a move to deflect things, but it's not something he really uses (and he's difficult to learn). GG does have a lot of characters that stick things on screen to restrict their movement like Testament if that's your kind of thing. And while it's not what you're exactly asking for, Jam has a parry while Baiken utilizes moves as meterless alpha counters.

You can probably ask more questions on the thread Jotamide made since that's going to be the more updated one. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526059

Got AC+ like two days ago along with a friend and I'm floored by how bad the netcode is. It's like going back to 2007. Other than that, the game is a blast. I'm really really digging Anji and Baiken again. It is great to have this game playable in my house.
I like Baiken. Her midstage game is fun using her stupid easy meterless guard cancels and tatami mats. Her corner damage is excellent without needing FRCs too. I also like Anji a lot right now since he works well even with GG's horrible netcode thanks to the butterflies and overhead game he can get going. Kinda wish his FRCs were friendlier like those that Baiken has.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got AC+ like two days ago along with a friend and I'm floored by how bad the netcode is. It's like going back to 2007.

Try 2003. The netcode was ripped straight of X-box Live's #Reload port. :lol into crying.gif

TheSeks

Has there been any news regarding a European PS3 release? Been waiting for so long to play this. :(

There hasn't been an announcement for the +R patch on PS3/360 either, so I wouldn't count on it.

TheSeks

Isn't the game region locked? Pretty sure that's the reason I am still waiting for a EU release.

By store, yeah. The game itself shouldn't be? I know Onemic got it off Japan months before North America got it.

gutabo

So I've been playing this game for two days now at a friend'splace. I've tried to check some info about specific stuf(like the venom-ky matchup) but seems like the game is dead almost in every forum and dustloop.com has no data about this anywhere. Youtube isn't helping either. Do you guys know where I can find stuff about the game or is everyone now trying to only talk about +R? Thanks in advance!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been playing this game for two days now at a friend'splace. I've tried to check some info about specific stuf(like the venom-ky matchup) but seems like the game is dead almost in every forum and dustloop.com has no data about this anywhere. Youtube isn't helping either. Do you guys know where I can find stuff about the game or is everyone now trying to only talk about +R? Thanks in advance!

Huh?

Thanks, I've seen that, I specifically mentioned the venom-ky matchup.

"Venom does everything Ky does, but better."

- local Venom player who plays Venom

Just remember that Venom's
  • range game is better
  • mixups are better
  • blockstrings are better
  • 6P is comparable

gutabo

"Venom does everything Ky does, but better."

- local Venom player who plays Venom

Just remember that Venom's
  • range game is better
  • mixups are better
  • blockstrings are better
  • 6P is comparable

Thanks! The thing I've noticed is that I as Venom have to respect Ky a lot more while applying presure because he has vapor thrust and I have... dead angle attack? Also I'm rusty as hell and my friend has been playing as a madman for the last year. Once I'm cornered I'm done and I can't yet react to his high/low "mixup"(blockstring into stun dipper, greed sever or 5D). Also my friend's tv has some lag so instant block and slashback are not an option yet. And he has these air D setups and jump into whiffed kick into crossup(or not) dash slash.

Essay

The thing I've noticed is that I as Venom have to respect Ky a lot more while applying presure because he has vapor thrust and I have... dead angle attack?

Don't respect Ky's DP too much now. You should be able to make it wiff over you for a full combo with Venom's 2D, so try to work that into your pressure and meaties. It's easily safe-jumped too, so adjust your oki until you've at least put some fear in the Ky player.

Once I'm cornered I'm done and I can't yet react to his high/low "mixup"(blockstring into stun dipper, greed sever or 5D). Also my friend's tv has some lag so instant block and slashback are not an option yet.
Ky's definitely one of the characters you wind up just blocking low, and reacting to his relatively slow overheads. Keep at it, study their startup animations, and I bet when you play on a lagless TV you'll react to highs consistently. All you'd then have to worry about is his throw game, ambiguous crossups and the fact he can hide his dust behind a charged shot! ;D

Do you guys know where I can find stuff about the game or is everyone now trying to only talk about +R?

Yeah, we're pretty far into +R at this point at my local area meetups. Hell, I even bought a PS3 for it. I'm having to hold back from discussing +R Venom and Ky this very second (but if anyone wants to take it to the +R thread, I'll bite).

gutabo

Don't respect Ky's DP too much now. You should be able to make it wiff over you for a full combo with Venom's 2D, so try to work that into your pressure and meaties. It's easily safe-jumped too, so adjust your oki until you've at least put some fear in the Ky player.
Now THIS is what I was talking about. Thank you so much! So I'll have to condition him into not doing vapor thrust first, then rush the hell outta him. Yeah I know about safe jumps(I've made hella videos about them in SF4) but I didn't really think about using them here, thanks for that too.

Ky's definitely one of the characters you wind up just blocking low, and reacting to his relatively slow overheads. Keep at it, study their startup animations, and I bet when you play on a lagless TV you'll react to highs consistently. All you'd then have to worry about is his throw game, ambiguous crossups and the fact he can hide his dust behind a charged shot! ;D
Yeah I didn't know some stuff, like his standing kick being a low. Will do and of course I'll have to get some of the rust off!

Yeah, we're pretty far into +R at this point at my local area meetups. Hell, I even bought a PS3 for it. I'm having to hold back from discussing +R Venom and Ky this very second (but if anyone wants to take it to the +R thread, I'll bite).
Interesting, is +R already available anywhere besides the arcade and Vita versions? Also I was trying to learn potekmin's FRC timing after a potemkin buster but it seems like in +R he will go back to how he was before(without FRC after a PB). Any other tips regarding Venom and his +R changes? Like, I was also thinking about learning his 6P, 6H into S carcass ride but since they are changing the knockdown properties of 6H(and taking them into 6P) it might work against me because I could be practicing other stuff?
Thank you very much in advance!

On second thought, if you have +R "migration tips" not only about venom but also about testament, potemkin or johnny I would be very grateful :D

Essay

Interesting, is +R already available anywhere besides the arcade and Vita versions? Also I was trying to learn potekmin's FRC timing after a potemkin buster but it seems like in +R he will go back to how he was before(without FRC after a PB). Any other tips regarding Venom and his +R changes? Like, I was also thinking about learning his 6P, 6H into S carcass ride but since they are changing the knockdown properties of 6H(and taking them into 6P) it might work against me because I could be practicing other stuff?
Thank you very much in advance!
Yeah, Venom strikes me as a bit of a rough transition. I originally picked him up as an alt in AC because I realized I could consistently do 6P-6H-Carcass Raid, but when I saw the changes list, I backed down. If you can do the Dubious Curve combos, it's probably not as big of a deal, but I'm ass at DP's in this game.

6H no longer ground-bouncing doesn't just hurt in combos, but also in block strings where you'd normally stick it out to catch half-screen jump-outs with full combos. My local (former) Venom player also complained about not being able to use the teleport as an evasive tool anymore due to increased start-up, but the recovery was at least reduced so it's better for mixups.

The new FB.Stinger Aim is godlike though, and I can't undersell the utility of the new formations. Overall, I'd say that he's as strong as he ever was in what he does well (transitioning into pressure from zoning), which is what really decides his matchups.

On second thought, if you have +R "migration tips" not only about venom but also about testament, potemkin or johnny I would be very grateful :D
Testament has been turned on his head. Forward EXE Beast is no longer a pseudo-reversal, and his main damage loop is gone. His combos look way more interesting as a result, but I haven't really looked into what they're actually like to perform. The new EXE Beasts kind of act like Dizzy's fish bite (except you control the timing of the bite) and can lead to left/right mixups with his new teleport. FB.Curse is amazing too (homes in, lasts a long time, unblockable, but crouchable). Generally, he just seems more "Testamenty" in this version, so just make sure you're used to managing his traps. Everything else seems so different.

Potemkin has to work a little harder now. My understanding is that the new Slidehead relies on a much more situational FRC follow-up combo, and, yeah, midscreen Potbuster doesn't get a follow-up against the majority of the cast. Corner Potbusters, however.... Those hurt. Every hit he lands right now transitions easily back into his strong oki mixup game, and that's where he really shines in this version, IMO. Coming from AC, his fundamentals will carry over, but you'll have to figure out new combos.

As for Johnny? I believe he just got new, awesome things that do nothing but make AC Johnny players' lives easier. He's still a pretty challenging character to play, don't get me wrong, but his payout for landing a hit has only improved. Mash that up-coin and make it rain!

Essay

Any news on Bridget? I heard he didn't really change much, just got some QOL stuff

That's a good way to describe it from what I've seen. Being able to stop the yo-yo callback by hitting heavy a second time seems like a pretty convenient buff. (Just keep in mind that you still have to wait for the initial callback animation to end before you can stop it, unless you held the button to delay the startup.) Otherwise... the forcebreak Roger punches and buzzsaw seem good. (?) Don't really know enough about the character to really comment, and didn't notice the one Bridget player I've met change much between versions.

Astarte

That's a good way to describe it from what I've seen. Being able to stop the yo-yo callback by hitting heavy a second time seems like a pretty convenient buff. (Just keep in mind that you still have to wait for the initial callback animation to end before you can stop it, unless you held the button to delay the startup.) Otherwise... the forcebreak Roger punches and buzzsaw seem good. (?) Don't really know enough about the character to really comment, and didn't notice the one Bridget player I've met change much between versions.

QkwWmIW.gif

Holy shit this news thanks dude

gutabo

Yeah, Venom strikes me as a bit of a rough transition. I originally picked him up as an alt in AC because I realized I could consistently do 6P-6H-Carcass Raid, but when I saw the changes list, I backed down. If you can do the Dubious Curve combos, it's probably not as big of a deal, but I'm ass at DP's in this game.

6H no longer ground-bouncing doesn't just hurt in combos, but also in block strings where you'd normally stick it out to catch half-screen jump-outs with full combos. My local (former) Venom player also complained about not being able to use the teleport as an evasive tool anymore due to increased start-up, but the recovery was at least reduced so it's better for mixups.

The new FB.Stinger Aim is godlike though, and I can't undersell the utility of the new formations. Overall, I'd say that he's as strong as he ever was in what he does well (transitioning into pressure from zoning), which is what really decides his matchups.

Testament has been turned on his head. Forward EXE Beast is no longer a pseudo-reversal, and his main damage loop is gone. His combos look way more interesting as a result, but I haven't really looked into what they're actually like to perform. The new EXE Beasts kind of act like Dizzy's fish bite (except you control the timing of the bite) and can lead to left/right mixups with his new teleport. FB.Curse is amazing too (homes in, lasts a long time, unblockable, but crouchable). Generally, he just seems more "Testamenty" in this version, so just make sure you're used to managing his traps. Everything else seems so different.

Potemkin has to work a little harder now. My understanding is that the new Slidehead relies on a much more situational FRC follow-up combo, and, yeah, midscreen Potbuster doesn't get a follow-up against the majority of the cast. Corner Potbusters, however.... Those hurt. Every hit he lands right now transitions easily back into his strong oki mixup game, and that's where he really shines in this version, IMO. Coming from AC, his fundamentals will carry over, but you'll have to figure out new combos.

As for Johnny? I believe he just got new, awesome things that do nothing but make AC Johnny players' lives easier. He's still a pretty challenging character to play, don't get me wrong, but his payout for landing a hit has only improved. Mash that up-coin and make it rain!

Thank you SO much! I stopped playing GG after Isuka so I'm still adapting to the AC+ changes. Of course, some stuff like potemkin buster losing its FRC I actually like more than how it's in AC+.

Your Ky tips did wonders, I actually improved A LOT on that matchup(even came up with some safe jump setups like sweep cancelled into ball summon, jump forward HS) and even my potemkin and testament were giving my friend trouble... but then he picked Faust and everything went to hell. Any Faust tips? Thanks in advance!

Essay

Any Faust tips? Thanks in advance!
In general? I think you have to look at him as a character with great screen control, and an unpredictable approach, but a weaker defence that banks on him slipping out of your pressure with his low-profile crawl, high-profile karate chop force break, and initially-invincible 5D. (That's two "poor-man's reversal" that you need to block high if they catch you by surprise.) Expect 6H, his half-screen overhead, at all times and learn to stand block it. Worry a bit about his propeller command throw, but know that it's not a normal throw... you can burst it, and might even want to in the corner. Try not to walk into his 4/5th-of-the-screen scalpel-pull attack. Block the flower in pogo stance low or eat a full combo. If he hits you with his treasure chest overdrive, hit one of the attack buttons (not Dust), and if he selects the same one, it hurts him instead.

Finally, study all his items and learn how they act. (They're all pretty straight-forward once you've seen them. Just understand that if he throws a meter-building candy bar, he can't throw any more items until one of you picks it up.) He can't chose his items, but he can plan an approach around them, especially if you give him space to item-toss. He'll usually want to hold you off until he has something on the screen you'll have to deal with. You're mostly going to want to just get in on him, or control the screen in a way that he won't feel comfortable summoning items.

Watch the Guilty Bits episode on him to get into his head too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9XS40ZAkhU

Keasar

So I got the game from the US PSN recently, but all I am getting is the 1.00 version, not the 1.01 version with +R, nor do I get any prompt upon booting it up that a update is available. So I guess that the US PS3 version still have yet to receive the patch?

Essay

Before the end of the year is what the high-heel on twitter said.

It's out on US XBL though! (Canadian XBL, however....)

Keasar

Well, darn. Hope that they release it soon, me and a coworker wanna get our Guilty Gear going in the office before Xrd is released (which should be about 2-3 years to Europe).

Top Bottom