• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

rashbeep

Banned
So I just got back from vacation visiting relatives. I was talking to my uncle about how I'm learning to play guitar and bass. Since he makes most of his living off playing bass/tuba, he let me have a go at his bass.

Its a 5 string Warwick, of which I forget which model, but its really nice. I think I like it better than my
dads
fender jaguar bass that I play. It was pretty easy getting used to the other string. At least more so than when I starting playing a 7 string guitar.

That's a WW Thumb, and it is a very high quality bass. I miss the hell out of mine :(

I mean, I'm doing this more for myself than anything. The impressing girls part will be a healthy side effect.

I just want something that isn't too loud and fits well for my Trump sized hands.

Fuck it I'll go Dreadnought.

Armadilo

Banned
You went with the Rogue RA-090? How do you like it? Did you get it setup?

It's not ideal but it works. You might want to try it first before dropping $200 on an electric. Is yours an electric acoustic or pure acoustic? Mine is just an acoustic so I got this magnetic pickup and you just need a coupler to connect that to the rocksmith cable. It ends up being really long but it works perfectly. The only problems I have are since there is no cutout in my guitar hitting frets 16+ can be tricky, and bends are hard and some songs demand them. I hear some songs require a 21st or 22nd fret which my guitar doesn't have but I haven't run across them yet. If you want to try it with your acoustic and have any questions let me know.

Got it from GAF secret Santa, no setup yet because I'm still trying to figure out where to get it done, only seem to be getting a $50 for a guitar setup on price estimates

I just want something that isn't too loud and fits well for my Trump sized hands.

Serious answer: you can find all manner of acoustic guitars with all manner of neck sizes; body size has no direct bearing on neck size— but manufacturers more commonly pair the neck widths favoured for some styles to bodies matching those styles.

You may also find that a small neck isn't actually what you want, but you are going to need experience you don't have to know that.

If you don't want it too loud, get a smaller bodied instrument and enjoy.

PS: go to the gym; if you aren't already attractive the guitar isn't going to help.

No, an "electric" is just my badass cool way of saying "electric guitar".

Really?

Got it from GAF secret Santa

Nice! How is the learning going so far?

Kalamari

Alright homies I'm a complete noob so you will help me out :D

I'm looking at a Yamaha FG800 (if there are better choices for a noob let me know) and I was wondering if I should go with a Dreadnought or a Concert? Are there huge differences? I only plan to play to impress friends/girls and for my own personal amusement.

I have an FG800, and I kinda wish I had gone for a bit pricier guitar due to the fact that the frets aren't very level on cheaper guitars, which means more work to get a good setup. When you go to check the guitar out, ask how level the frets are and if the guitar has been setup or not.

The more level your frets, the easier it will be to impress the girls. If you're stuck with unlevel frets you might only impress girls at the renaissance fair.

Also, I would go concert over a dreadnought.

Fuck it dude

I'm gonna save up and get a Cordoba GK studio

Go big or go home

It's the sweetest sounding thing I done ever heard for about 700

Fuck it dude

I'm gonna save up and get a Cordoba GK studio

Go big or go home

It's the sweetest sounding thing I done ever heard for about 700

Go for it man! Sometimes the guitar has your name on it - you play it and there's an instant connection. The pick of destiny! (well in your case you will likely be doing fingerstyle)

Some more pics - my other guitars were in the studio...

Breedlove Stage D25 - http://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/stage-d25-sre

I was hella lucky to get this guy in an end of season sale - it's a lot of guitar for 350 bucks, especially with a great hard case. Records and plays really well!

Squier Custom II Tele with Duncan P90s - another great bargain guitar (90 bucks!). Sounds quite different from my other two tele's, really like this one.

Amps:-
Studio amps - Vox AC30, Blackstar Stage HT60 & Peavey Renown

Other studio snaps...
Drums

Mix alcove...32 inch LCD on the wall for Cubase Mix Console

DAW Rack - API A2D, UA 4-710D, Motu AVB Monitor 8

MCU -

Hopefully all the rack and mix stuff will be moving into a new 'control room' after my garage is converted - the current studio ill just be a live room with amps and drums.

Can't wait to get started on it!

Most of my writing and messing about happens in the house though:-

Board into Digitech GSP1101 into Cubase in second DAW (just move the USB dongle between rooms when using a different place)
or into Orange Micro Terror stack for low volume messing around (although the Micro Terror goes feckin loud!!!)

Dope thread. I actually finally upgraded my electric 'cause I got a good deal on Black Friday. Now the proud owner of a Vintage V6M24 (picture on the left):
ilFRSmt.jpg

Holy crap! How did I miss this post?!! I bought the exact same V6M24 in the same Laguna Blue color (post #315) on Black Friday as well! LOL!

I just saw a V6M24 Ventura Green (with small dings) sell on eBay for $175(!!!!!!!). So pissed I missed it, I wouldn't mind another color - especially at that price!

I have that exact same Breedlove guitar, it's fantastic. Though do your strings sit pretty high off the fretboard? Thinking about getting them lowered. Makes it way harder than it needs to be.

Action is perfect for me on mine, but then I prefer action on an acoustic to be a bit higher than electric - depends on what you prefer I guess. It plays nice either way!!

It's not too much of a task to sand down the saddle to lower the action a bit tho

Armadilo

Banned
Serious answer: you can find all manner of acoustic guitars with all manner of neck sizes; body size has no direct bearing on neck size— but manufacturers more commonly pair the neck widths favoured for some styles to bodies matching those styles.

You may also find that a small neck isn't actually what you want, but you are going to need experience you don't have to know that.

If you don't want it too loud, get a smaller bodied instrument and enjoy.

PS: go to the gym; if you aren't already attractive the guitar isn't going to help.

Really?

Nice! How is the learning going so far?
Downloaded Yousician app, kinda like a game but youtube vids also

Iorv3th

Got it from GAF secret Santa, no setup yet because I'm still trying to figure out where to get it done, only seem to be getting a $50 for a guitar setup on price estimates

You went with the Rogue RA-090? How do you like it? Did you get it setup?

It's not ideal but it works. You might want to try it first before dropping $200 on an electric. Is yours an electric acoustic or pure acoustic? Mine is just an acoustic so I got this magnetic pickup and you just need a coupler to connect that to the rocksmith cable. It ends up being really long but it works perfectly. The only problems I have are since there is no cutout in my guitar hitting frets 16+ can be tricky, and bends are hard and some songs demand them. I hear some songs require a 21st or 22nd fret which my guitar doesn't have but I haven't run across them yet. If you want to try it with your acoustic and have any questions let me know.

They updated Rocksmith 2014 so you can play acoustic and just use a USB microphone as the pickup. Not sure how well it works but that is an option now.

Wag

Help me pick an electric in the $200 range.

I was thinking used Les Paul Studio for $200. Used Les Paul 100 can be had for $150.

I saw a used Hamer Californian 2 for $110.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This will mostly be mostly for Blues/Classic R&B/Soul.

Help me pick an electric in the $200 range.

I was thinking used Les Paul Studio for $200. Used Les Paul 100 can be had for $150.

I saw a used Hamer Californian 2 for $110.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This will mostly be mostly for Blues/Classic R&B/Soul.

The Fender Squier is probably the most popular in that price range and for good reason - it's the easiest guitar to upgrade and mod to personalize and make them even better. I'm also a fan of ESP LTD when it comes to budget guitars. The neck and wood on the ESPs are solid and they don't cheap out on the guitar's "bones" so they're nice upgradable guitars as well. The Epiphone Studio and 100s are definitely nice choices as well - Guitar Center sells a buttload of them so you find many used on the market. I feel like the Strat style is better for Classic R&B/Soul more that than Les Paul style, but it really just comes down to what guitar speaks to you. If I had $200 to burn I would hunt for a nice used Ibanez RG350DX but that's more of a rock/metal guitar. Oh yeah and don't fall for the budget Mitchells that Guitar Center has been pushing, just bad. *shudder*

Wag

The Fender Squier is probably the most popular in that price range and for good reason - it's the easiest guitar to upgrade and mod to personalize and make them even better. I'm also a fan of ESP LTD when it comes to budget guitars. The neck and wood on the ESPs are solid and they don't cheap out on the guitar's "bones" so they're nice upgradable guitars as well. The Epiphone Studio and 100s are definitely nice choices as well - Guitar Center sells a buttload of them so you find many used on the market. I feel like the Strat style is better for Classic R&B/Soul more that than Les Paul style, but it really just comes down to what guitar speaks to you. If I had $200 to burn I would hunt for a nice used Ibanez RG350DX but that's more of a rock/metal guitar. Oh yeah and don't fall for the budget Mitchells that Guitar Center has been pushing, just bad. *shudder*

I had a used Strat years ago but I sold it. The Les Paul's are really heavy, the Strats not so much. I have a bad back so a lighter guitar would probably be better.

What model of the Squier is good that's in my price range? There are a shitload of used Strats on Guitar Center's website. If I could get a used one for $70 and then modify it when I'm ready I'd be fine with that.

I'm basically buying one to use with Rocksmith. I play acoustic for the most part.

gonna get my current guitar setup tomorrow for $75 including new strings

sound good?

Sounds a bit high. This is what Guitar Center charges for nylon string setup:

NON-STANDARD SETUP $59.99
This 22-point setup on instruments other than a standard six-string guitar or bass, such as guitars with a locking tremolo system, classical guitars and 12-string guitars, includes adjusting the truss rod, nut, saddles, action and intonation so the instrument sounds and plays its best for the player, cleaning and polishing the instrument, as well as a restring. A set of select strings is included with this service.

Maybe they do more?

I had a used Strat years ago but I sold it. The Les Paul's are really heavy, the Strats not so much. I have a bad back so a lighter guitar would probably be better.

What model of the Squier is good that's in my price range?

I would definitely look into used for Squiers. Many nice affordable used ones out there. Don't buy the Bullets though, that's the super low-end Strat
Yeah the Les Pauls are heavy. Have you considered the Epiphone SG? They are very light.

Note that $200 actually can go a long way in the used guitar market. You can get a sweet axe if you look hard enough. People are always selling their guitars, cuz they quit, can't make rent, need it for drugs, etc. But $200 is very limiting in the new market and kind of puts you in the Starter guitar pack category.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap! How did I miss this post?!! I bought the exact same V6M24 in the same Laguna Blue color (post #315) on Black Friday as well! LOL!

I just saw a V6M24 Ventura Green (with small dings) sell on eBay for $175(!!!!!!!). So pissed I missed it, I wouldn't mind another color - especially at that price!

Oh man, that's awesome! If you bought it on Reverb from a store in IL too then we've got complete guitar twins, haha. Seriously, what are the chances?

Out of curiosity how'd you hear about the V6M24? A video review of the guitar popped up in my suggested videos on YT (and I'm pretty sure there's only 2 on the internet, heh)... then I had do a lot of poking around online to find any info about the brand (seriously, worst name ever lol).

I'm really impressed with its hardware considering the price, the chance to grab another one for $175 is pretty crazy. I'd have been tempted to jump on that too for sure. :p

Sounds a bit high. This is what Guitar Center charges for nylon string setup:

Maybe they do more?

isn't guitar center known for lousy service and poor quality?

i considered it before, i'd like to know what others here think >.>

the place that charges $75 also gets you your guitar back within a couple hours vs. a couple days at guitar center

EVOL 100%

Just thought I'd post this for people looking for a practice amp:

Blackstar ID Core 10

Been playing with this for the last 2 days and it's probably the best sounding small amp I've ever had. Sounds like you're playing through a tube amp even at low volumes, very punchy and it's got pretty smooth distorted sounds in comparison to other amps within the same price range. You can use three effects at one time and can even use the included USB cord to record/play along with stuff on headphones.

Very happy so far. I'm a returning guitar player, recently decided to get back into it.

I'm actually going to get a Blackstar ID:60 TVP later on. It's good to hear that they sound good.

I'm looking for a way to get good heavy distorted tones plugged straight into the computer.. is that even possible? Been trying on and off for years with various pieces of software and never found a solution that wasn't buzzy, muddy or overprocessed.

Guitar Rig sounds pretty much like everything else. Cleans are easy to produce.. distortion is really difficult though.

Out of the stuff I tried (Amplitude, Guitar Rig and Logic), the amp sim of Logic actually sounded the best to me. Guitar Rig sounded like shit, it goes from being anemic to brickwalled mud.

Not sure how much distortion you use though. My idea of heavy distortion is setting a RAT on 11 o'clock. Can't you use the Blackstar to record directly though?

Local music shop adjusted my guitar for $35. Took a few days but did a great job.

Yeah I usually pay about $35. My place is super fast, though. They can get shit done same day if you drop it off first thing in the morning. They also worked miracles on my J45 that had some major fret issues for like $75.

Oh man, that's awesome! If you bought it on Reverb from a store in IL too then we've got complete guitar twins, haha. Seriously, what are the chances?

Out of curiosity how'd you hear about the V6M24? A video review of the guitar popped up in my suggested videos on YT (and I'm pretty sure there's only 2 on the internet, heh)... then I had do a lot of poking around online to find any info about the brand (seriously, worst name ever lol).

I'm really impressed with its hardware considering the price, the chance to grab another one for $175 is pretty crazy. I'd have been tempted to jump on that too for sure. :p

I actually bought it from xyzguitars.com but I was looking at them on Reverb as well. Both had great deals on Black Friday but I went with xyz cuz they're local and I figured I'd get it quicker. I first saw the V6M24 on this "33 best budget guitars" list and that flashy Daytona Yellow immediately caught my eye. When I saw the 3 color choices on that sexy body I was immediately hooked! And yeah I saw that same youtube video with the screaming pickups and I was like YES! TAKE MY MONEY!
It also took me down the whole Vintage/Wilkinson (yes and their crappy name!) rabbit hole cuz I never heard of them before. It seems like what we see here in the US is very limited. Over in the UK they have like Flying Vs and Destroyers!

I struggled with the V6M24 at first. My bridge pickup was installed slanted for one, so I fixed that. Then I had to learn how to string that weird Wilkinson EZ-Lock tuner with the 2 holes! Then my tremelo arm kept popping at a weird spot and wouldn't stay in tune. I narrowed it down to the tremolo claw and replaced that with a beefy Fender type claw and now it's all good! I hear Vintage's Vietnam factory is hit or miss - sometimes you can get one that needs some work, other times not (I've even heard of frets not being filed and such). Overall though, I'm very pleased with the guitar. The color is just smokin' and it's a lot of fun to play. I actually really like the Wilkinson pickups and probably gonna keep them in there.

I cannot stress enough that people should try buying from Craigslist, if possible. Granted I live in the DC metro area so I have a larger region to choose from (though this means I sometimes have to drive from Maryland to Virginia, which I hate doing), but I have to constantly stop myself from buying guitars that people are selling cheap because their kid never played it and they want it out of the house. Make ridiculous lowball offers on items that have been listed for a while; if they reject your offer wish them luck nicely and tell them to keep you in mind if it doesn't sell. There's always another guitar around the bend. Or amp, or pedal, etc.

Xun

i power 9 pedals with a single one spot into a power strip taped to my board

probably a bad idea but i've doing it for over a year and no problems at all, and im running an ehx memory man with hazarai and a boss dd-500 together

61PutYFWwAL._SL1000_.jpg

I picked up one of these for $50. I only have a overdrive and wah pedal.

Do make sure what you get has the right power outputs. You can get power bricks that are all 9v or some with 12v and 18v. It depends on your pedals. Hard to find ones with multiple 12v and 18v outputs or they're expensive.
Thanks for the input guys! I much appreciate it.

I cannot stress enough that people should try buying from Craigslist, if possible. Granted I live in the DC metro area so I have a larger region to choose from (though this means I sometimes have to drive from Maryland to Virginia, which I hate doing), but I have to constantly stop myself from buying guitars that people are selling cheap because their kid never played it and they want it out of the house. Make ridiculous lowball offers on items that have been listed for a while; if they reject your offer wish them luck nicely and tell them to keep you in mind if it doesn't sell. There's always another guitar around the bend. Or amp, or pedal, etc.

Oh definitely. I check craigslist everyday. I bought a pristine $400 bass last month for $80 the other day, cuz the guy "quit music". He also gave me his $80 Korg tuner and $45 Road Runner gig bag! Another good place I've been checking these days is the new Facebook Marketplace (works on mobile only), lots of guitars on there as well (local pawn shops like to list on there). Recently I've been checking shopgoodwill auctions as as well. Lots of instruments on there too.

My only guitar/Craigslist-y experience was swapping a Epi Valve Jr. head for a Tele neck. Have been tempted to sell the semi-valuable guitar I have that I don't play a lot, but can't bring myself to.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/SG-G400-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112707400.gc

How's this? Used G400 in great condition for $200. Blurry picture tho.

Fine? Like it better than white? (the sticker on the white one shouldn't be too hard to get off, the finish is plastic and will tolerate a variety of solvents).

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Learned Tears in Heaven yesterday. Man, what a fun song to play, and I love playing sad songs. I thought it would be too hard for me to play but nope. Feels good man. All this fuckin practice I've been putting in these last 5 years is really starting to pay off.

Wag

My only guitar/Craigslist-y experience was swapping a Epi Valve Jr. head for a Tele neck. Have been tempted to sell the semi-valuable guitar I have that I don't play a lot, but can't bring myself to.

Fine? Like it better than white? (the sticker on the white one shouldn't be too hard to get off, the finish is plastic and will tolerate a variety of solvents).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/SG-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112636166.gc

Here's another one. The problem with Guitar Center's website is that they don't label their products correctly. I have no idea what model of SG that is. Anyone help me out?

Surfinn

Learned Tears in Heaven yesterday. Man, what a fun song to play, and I love playing sad songs. I thought it would be too hard for me to play but nope. Feels good man. All this fuckin practice I've been putting in these last 5 years is really starting to pay off.

Nice, that's a great song.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/Standard-Stratocaster-Special-Run-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

So this one is interesting. It's a modified Standard Strat, special run (no gloss), with Duncan pickups (I called that Guitar Center) for $199.

It's a nice looking guitar. Is this a good deal?

"Special Run" lo! That's not a Fender body at all, not even a Showmaster. That's a Frankenstein guitar with a Fender (Indonesian) Standard neck. Jeez, Guitar Center. Kinda looks cool though, but I wouldn't buy a Frankenstein blind without first playing it.

Top Bottom