• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

MiniDitka

It might be nice, but like teruterubozu I don't think it's a Squier (aside from the neck).

I love this in concept, but I wish it came with a three-way switch and a tone control (if just for one pickup if you couldn't come up with a good single cap value).

I just use a EQ pedal/amp settings to adjust tone .I've owned most of the big name brands(Fender, Gibson, ESP, PRS, EVH/Peavey to name a few)and this is honestly my favorite to play.

I love my 2005 Squier 51, but I don't think I'd pay $200 for one (or, that cost should include pickup upgrades that people typically make). They crop up on Reverb, eBay and Craigslist often enough for cheaper. The original Squier 51 was a bomba that got blown out for $79, and it became a very popular modding platform. I put a GFS gold-foil pickup in the neck, but I really like the stock humbucker. I'd prefer a traditional 3-way switch, but that's because I can't remember which direction of the knob does what. I don't really miss the tone knob.

Wag

Yuck, unless it's a fantastic player I would stay away

I got the message. I was in my local Music Go Round today and I played an Epiphone SG. Loved it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/SG-1966-G400-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112813754.gc

Saw this G400 1966 (reissue) for $169. It's in fair condition but the clerk says it's fine, just a few scratches/dings. It's one step up from the standard SG and it's $10 less than what they wanted locally. I think I'm going to buy it. If it looks too beat up when I get to my local Guitar Center I'll just get a refund.

I got the message. I was in my local Music Go Round today and I played an Epiphone SG. Loved it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/SG-1966-G400-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112813754.gc

Saw this G400 1966 (reissue) for $169. It's in fair condition but the clerk says it's fine, just a few scratches/dings. It's one step up from the standard SG and it's $10 less than what they wanted locally. I think I'm going to buy it. If it looks too beat up when I get to my local Guitar Center I'll just get a refund.

That is an excellent choice and a super find! I think you'll be more than happy!

Wag

That is an excellent choice and a super find! I think you'll be more than happy!

Yeah, it did look like a good deal. I don't know what the difference is between a standard G400 and the 1966 Reissue, but at that price I guess it doesn't matter much. I think it's just cosmetic.

I got it for ~$200 shipped -7% through Topcashback. Plus GC is running a promo so I'll get $30 in "GC Cash". If I like the guitar I'll use it on a bag. $160 for this guitar, shipped, is a steal.

I had it shipped to my local store directly so if it has a problem I'll just get a refund on the spot.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I actually bought it from xyzguitars.com but I was looking at them on Reverb as well. Both had great deals on Black Friday but I went with xyz cuz they're local and I figured I'd get it quicker. I first saw the V6M24 on this "33 best budget guitars" list and that flashy Daytona Yellow immediately caught my eye. When I saw the 3 color choices on that sexy body I was immediately hooked! And yeah I saw that same youtube video with the screaming pickups and I was like YES! TAKE MY MONEY!
It also took me down the whole Vintage/Wilkinson (yes and their crappy name!) rabbit hole cuz I never heard of them before. It seems like what we see here in the US is very limited. Over in the UK they have like Flying Vs and Destroyers!

I struggled with the V6M24 at first. My bridge pickup was installed slanted for one, so I fixed that. Then I had to learn how to string that weird Wilkinson EZ-Lock tuner with the 2 holes! Then my tremelo arm kept popping at a weird spot and wouldn't stay in tune. I narrowed it down to the tremolo claw and replaced that with a beefy Fender type claw and now it's all good! I hear Vintage's Vietnam factory is hit or miss - sometimes you can get one that needs some work, other times not (I've even heard of frets not being filed and such). Overall though, I'm very pleased with the guitar. The color is just smokin' and it's a lot of fun to play. I actually really like the Wilkinson pickups and probably gonna keep them in there.

Cool, wish somewhere more local to me carried the brand. It sucks that setup out of the factory is a gamble and you had a couple of issues with your particular guitar, but at least they're fixed and now you get to enjoy playing the thing. :D

I got lucky with mine - no issues with any of the hardware/electronics, just had to adjust the action a little and then it was good to go. Honestly even if I had to do more setup I'd still be happy with the purchase; it's an astonishing amount of guitar for the money.

I can see why some people might find the colors too bright, but I'm with you - I love all 3 of the finishes (though I wanted the Daytona Yellow as my first choice) and really dig how they look on the body and on the painted headstock. Crazy eye-catching finishes, everything about the looks is super appealing to me.

And yup, that's the video that sold me on the guitar! Tom Quayle's a beast. Reading about how all Vintage's models play and sound like much more expensive guitars for a fraction for the price has me jealous of the folks in the UK. Though I think it'd be extremely dangerous on my wallet if they were more readily available here in the States, hehe. Don't have a Les Paul style guitar yet so I'm kinda eyeing that gold-top V100, hmmm...

I really think Vintage would make a killing if they had better marketing/distribution outside of their home country, but it's also kind of neat having an instrument from a brand that's basically unknown in the US. Gives me a lot to talk about when people see the instrument. :p

Wag

The more I look at the G400 I ordered, the more I think it's not a 1966 Reissue. The 1966 Edition has the pick guard on both sides. The standard G400 doesn't- in the picture it's only on one side.

It doesn't really matter, for that price it's a good deal. I just wish they'd label their products correctly.

Checked out a guitar shop a few towns over. Was hoping to test out an ASAT Deluxe but they didn't have any.

I messed around with a Charvel DS1 Desolation with the Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They had it tagged at $350. I offered $300 for it and they threw in a hardshell case.

QOyj6C4.jpg

saizo

Hey guys. Just recently picked up an epiphone standard as my first guitar.got one used for 300 in great condition. Been messing around with rocksmith and was just wondering if there are any major drawbacks with using that as my primary tutor for playing.

I've put in 25 hours in the last 2 weeks and just wanna make sure I'm not sinking my time into something in the wrong way.

It's worth noting I've been improving pretty steadily.

ELCgF1V.jpg

Ibanez Grand Auditorium acoustic and my '09 Ibanez Prestige S5470.

Amp isn't that bad for $180 bucks, but it's not that great either!

Edit: the days of half stacks are over when you live in cheap apts.

Hey guys. Just recently picked up an epiphone standard as my first guitar.got one used for 300 in great condition. Been messing around with rocksmith and was just wondering if there are any major drawbacks with using that as my primary tutor for playing.

I've put in 25 hours in the last 2 weeks and just wanna make sure I'm not sinking my time into something in the wrong way.

I think Rocksmith is just fine to learn from

It's fine for the start, but you gotta ween yourself off it. I notice a lot of Rocksmith-developed players become stiff players, very robotic and no dynamics. Just play the notes kind of guitar player with no concept of musicality. Especially those videos that show kids development and progress, the end result isn't so hot. At some point you have to make the transition to "hearing" the notes, not just seeing and reacting. Sure, it's great for learning finger position and timing, but the game does nothing to develop the ear - which is the most important training in becoming a solid musician. By 6-7 months of playing, you should be able to hear some simple songs and figure it out by ear, but I think Rocksmith discourages that kind of rounded development because the player relies too much on sight.

It's fine for the start, but you gotta ween yourself off it. I notice a lot of Rocksmith-developed players become stiff players, very robotic and no dynamics. Just play the notes kind of guitar player with no concept of musicality. Especially those videos that show kids development and progress, the end result isn't so hot. At some point you have to make the transition to "hearing" the notes, not just seeing and reacting.

Agree 100% - although it's easy for me to say having played for 25 years!

I think it's fine to use but would complement it with other things - especially playing with other musicicans if at all possible, developing an ear is something that comes with time and playing with other folks.

If you can't play with other people, try messing about with basic audio software - play along to metronome / basic beats, try recording a cover or playing ur own parts - as an aside, being able to put together basic drum beats in a DAW or drum machine can REALLY help with the rythym side, a LOT.

Cool, wish somewhere more local to me carried the brand. It sucks that setup out of the factory is a gamble and you had a couple of issues with your particular guitar, but at least they're fixed and now you get to enjoy playing the thing. :D

I got lucky with mine - no issues with any of the hardware/electronics, just had to adjust the action a little and then it was good to go. Honestly even if I had to do more setup I'd still be happy with the purchase; it's an astonishing amount of guitar for the money.

I can see why some people might find the colors too bright, but I'm with you - I love all 3 of the finishes (though I wanted the Daytona Yellow as my first choice) and really dig how they look on the body and on the painted headstock. Crazy eye-catching finishes, everything about the looks is super appealing to me.

And yup, that's the video that sold me on the guitar! Tom Quayle's a beast. Reading about how all Vintage's models play and sound like much more expensive guitars for a fraction for the price has me jealous of the folks in the UK. Though I think it'd be extremely dangerous on my wallet if they were more readily available here in the States, hehe. Don't have a Les Paul style guitar yet so I'm kinda eyeing that gold-top V100, hmmm...

I really think Vintage would make a killing if they had better marketing/distribution outside of their home country, but it's also kind of neat having an instrument from a brand that's basically unknown in the US. Gives me a lot to talk about when people see the instrument. :p

There is also a wood grain finish V6M24 that they made for a contest - a one off. They should include that one too, cuz it would sell really well. Vintage seems to be gaining a lot of traction in the US lately. They've even been mentioned in this thread a few times.

Oh & BTW, thanks for subbing to my YT channel ;) I plan to put up more vids with the V6M24!

NEO0MJ

Man, I still struggle getting some chords right. My fingers keep touching the other strings. Any tips other than repeating it slowly until you get it right? How often should I switch my hand's position so I don't get too comfortable wit a certain grip?

Any thoughts on the lower end Martin's with HPL? Would be cool to get a solid wood model, but I can't justify the cost. Just looking for an upgrade over my cheapo acoustic. Entry level crappo, to entry level primo is maybe(?) the best I can do. There are a ton of righty guitars I'd be happy with, but am severely limited due to being a lefty.

I'm leaning towards this one: Martin GPCX1AE, or maybe a GPCPA5 if I can find one.

It's difficult because it is nearly impossible to testdrive lefty guitars. Online, sight unseen, is the best I can do -- but I'm not loving that idea.

I prefer cutaways, and smaller than dreadnought. The Taylor 114 or 214 felt nice (when held upside down that is), but I maybe like the Martin sound a bit more. Breedlove might also be an option.

NEO0MJ

Any thoughts on the lower end Martin's with HPL? Would be cool to get a solid wood model, but I can't justify the cost. Just looking for an upgrade over my cheapo acoustic. Entry level crappo, to entry level primo is maybe(?) the best I can do. There are a ton of righty guitars I'd be happy with, but am severely limited due to being a lefty.

Another cursed brethren! Wish I could help you but truth is I don't know much about acoustics.

Another cursed brethren! Wish I could help you but truth is I don't know much about acoustics.
Cheers! I've definitely found electrics to be easier to shop for.

Man, I still struggle getting some chords right. My fingers keep touching the other strings. Any tips other than repeating it slowly until you get it right? How often should I switch my hand's position so I don't get too comfortable wit a certain grip?

Practice, certainly-- but I also keep this at work as a desk toy.

https://www.amazon.com/Prohands-Gripmaster-Strengthening-5-0-Pound-Tension/dp/B000UMFT22/

It works each finger individually, and has helped me improve. Practicing daily scales as quickly as I am able, while staying accurate, really jumps your skill up fast too.

Wag

Cheers! I've definitely found electrics to be easier to shop for.

Practice, certainly-- but I also keep this at work as a desk toy.

https://www.amazon.com/Prohands-Gripmaster-Strengthening-5-0-Pound-Tension/dp/B000UMFT22/

It works each finger individually, and has helped me improve. Practicing daily scales as quickly as I am able, while staying accurate, really jumps your skill up fast too.

I tend to question how much these "grip strengthener" devices work- or at least improve your playing. I owned one and didn't see any difference. Personally I think they're a waste of money- just practice.

What's wrong with getting comfortable? It should be getting comfortable. Just strive to play those chords clean. Stop and adjust your fretting hand until you can sound it cleanly. It'll come.

Any thoughts on the lower end Martin's with HPL?

If you're looking for solid wood then you're going to need to step away from the big-name brands. Have you tried any of the Godin-family stuff (Seagull, Simon & Patrick)?

I was going to poo-poo the Martin HPL guitars based on what I've played in stores, but the truth is that I'm incredibly picky about acoustic guitars and if I don't love one it might as well be a bag of dogshit. In general I don't qualify why I don't like any particular guitar before putting it down, so I wish this were more helpful.

I tend to question how much these "grip strengthener" devices work- or at least improve your playing. I owned one and didn't see any difference. Personally I think they're a waste of money- just practice.

Practice is definitely best, don't get me wrong. I'm not as consistent of a player as I would like to be. I work too much, and sometimes I have extended stints where I don't play much at all. I've found that the grip thing helps me maintain strength for bar chords, or quickly train back up to where I used to be. (And maybe that's also a sign that my current crappy acoustic needs a hardcore setup or to just be thrown in the trash). For your everyday player, it probably won't make you better.

NEO0MJ

Looks like I'll have to do more research on that grip strengthener or wait for more insight from other players here.

What's wrong with getting comfortable? It should be getting comfortable. Just strive to play those chords clean. Stop and adjust your fretting hand until you can sound it cleanly. It'll come.

If I remember right regardless of what you're trying to learn repeating the exact same thing as is multiple times isn't as helpful as it may seem as it''s mostly short term memorization and you'd be better off mixing it up even if you feel you''re progressing slower.

Is there any software out there that will "listen" to what you're playing and create a tab? That seems like a thing that should exist. I've lost count of how many times I've been doodling around on my guitar and stumbled across something that sounded cool only to have it disappear into the ether because I was too lazy to write it down.

Similarly, what's the easiest option for recording practice sessions? I'm kind of dreading hearing myself play, but I think that's a critical component to figuring out what needs work.

If you're looking for solid wood then you're going to need to step away from the big-name brands. Have you tried any of the Godin-family stuff (Seagull, Simon & Patrick)?

I was going to poo-poo the Martin HPL guitars based on what I've played in stores, but the truth is that I'm incredibly picky about acoustic guitars and if I don't love one it might as well be a bag of dogshit. In general I don't qualify why I don't like any particular guitar before putting it down, so I wish this were more helpful.

Not necessarily looking for solid wood. I definitely appreciate the sound, but the playability/sound improvements for double/triple the price hasn't quite tipped my value scale. Maybe when the kid is out of daycare.

The Godin brands have been on my radar, but if nobody stocks them, it falls right off -- which has been the case. Cutaway is important to me, and if it's too obscure I have no way of banging on similar upside-down righty models in stores.

Wag

Is there any software out there that will "listen" to what you're playing and create a tab? That seems like a thing that should exist. I've lost count of how many times I've been doodling around on my guitar and stumbled across something that sounded cool only to have it disappear into the ether because I was too lazy to write it down.

Similarly, what's the easiest option for recording practice sessions? I'm kind of dreading hearing myself play, but I think that's a critical component to figuring out what needs work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tabify.writer&hl=it

I think some of the 3rd party software that uses the Rocksmith realtone cable should be able to do it (don't quote me on this).

Surfinn

Audacity is pretty good for just recording and playing back. I've used it years ago and was pretty satisfied.

If I remember right regardless of what you're trying to learn repeating the exact same thing as is multiple times isn't as helpful as it may seem as it''s mostly short term memorization and you'd be better off mixing it up even if you feel you''re progressing slower.

I don't understand this in the context of changing your grip to avoid getting comfortable. You will need to get comfortable with the grips required to play the pieces you wish to play or figure out alternate arrangements. Getting comfortable with a grip to play the chords in the pieces you are learning now doesn't preclude you from learning new things later.

FWIW I didn't use a grip strengthener though my instructor in the early/mid '90s had one and recommended it. I do do finger loosening dexterity exercises

Is there any software out there that will "listen" to what you're playing and create a tab? That seems like a thing that should exist.

Capo for Mac lets you tab out an input audio file— you just click on the tablature sheet and it runs through all the different places to fret that note. It will also automatically find chords in the harmonies it hears.

NEO0MJ

I don't understand this in the context of changing your grip to avoid getting comfortable. You will need to get comfortable with the grips required to play the pieces you wish to play or figure out alternate arrangements. Getting comfortable with a grip to play the chords in the pieces you are learning now doesn't preclude you from learning new things later.

What I meant was more along the lines of playing the D chord on the third fret for a bit and then switching to the fifth and then the seventh so I have to readjust all my fingers instead of holding it for a few minutes in the same spot.

What I meant was more along the lines of playing the D chord on the third fret for a bit and then switching to the fifth and then the seventh so I have to readjust all my fingers instead of holding it for a few minutes in the same spot.

Oh. Yeah. Dunno if that helps specifically with muscle memory for cleaning hitting each of those chords, but learning the fretboard enough to pull it off is very useful.

Wag

I never learned how to use a pick when playing the acoustic- I just play with my hands, it feels more comfortable.

When my electric arrives should I start using a pick? Some really good blues players (Freddie King, Albert Collins, etc) play without them (or thumb pick/index finger pick, etc).

Wag

Only if you want to. I mostly play with my fingers.

I fooled around with a thumb pick for a little while. I could probably learn to use that and an index finger pick. I have a big thumb so finding the right size thumb pick is difficult.

When I first picked up the electric I was shocked at how much easier it was to play than my acoustic.

Considering a new 7 or 9 string to add to my collection, though probably 7. I'm so very out of the loop now though since I just play for passion and not performing at all. Any good options without breaking the bank? I'm pretty specific on brands with Jackson and Ibanez taking the top two spots for me and I know Ibanez at least will have a decent range, but I'm also considering older models.

I've thought about selling my AER amp to fund it, but then I've no semi-acoustic amps and that thing sings some of my favorites out like a monster. It holds a special place in my heart since it's the amp Erik Mongrain used for Air Tap and as evidenced in that song it's built in phase and reverb is some of the best out there in a small amp. I'm not sure I could ditch the amp just for playing that song even since it's such a joy. Ugh, decisions. I don't want to have to sell gear really but it would give me a lot more room to play with.

I fooled around with a thumb pick for a little while. I could probably learn to use that and an index finger pick. I have a big thumb so finding the right size thumb pick is difficult.

I used a thumb pick as a kid because I first learned finger style and would just drop the pick into the sound hole. I cannot stand using fingerpicks; I know they're supposed to be great with resophonic guitars and banjos and Freddie King used them on his electrics— but they're not for me.

Wag

I used a thumb pick as a kid because I first learned finger style and would just drop the pick into the sound hole. I cannot stand using fingerpicks; I know they're supposed to be great with resophonic guitars and banjos and Freddie King used them on his electrics— but they're not for me.

Yeah, but Freddie just used a thumb and index finger pick. Albert Collins used no pick at all. I've been playing acoustic for 30yrs with no pick- I'll have to fool around on electric and figure out what's best for me.

Now I have to pick up a practice amp (I can't find mine). I have a bad back so it can't be too heavy (I live on the 3rd floor). A headphone jack would probably be helpful too.

Guy on craigslist is selling a Fender Frontman 65r for $50. A great deal but it's 32lbs and I don't think I can carry it up the steps (yes, my back is quite bad).

I think I'm going to pick up a used Mustang I V2 for ~$70 shipped. It's only 17lbs and I'll get another $10 in Guitar Center money. But I just noticed something:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/GC-Bucks.gc?icid=407543

They give out their "GC Bucks" for this promo on 3/15 and you only have until 3/22 to use it. What a scam. I already have $40 coming to me from the guitar I purchased. I suspect they'll jack up the prices for that week.

NEO0MJ

God damn it, I accidentally switched the G & D strings when restringing my guitar and only noticed when stretching them. Had to open my last pack of strings to fix it. Going to need to restock now.

blackjaw

God damn it, I accidentally switched the G & D strings when restringing my guitar and only noticed when stretching them. Had to open my last pack of strings to fix it. Going to need to restock now.

Wait, why not just switch them??

Are you taking all strings off to change instead of 1 or two at a time? I hope you're occasionally doing some sort of setup if so (intonation, etc).

NEO0MJ

Wait, why not just switch them?

Unfortunately because of how the tuning pegs are positioned on the headstock you'll have to vary the length of the strings too much and I cut them a little too short to reuse. I only noticed after I finished most of the work.

And I took them all out at once but I didn't do any sort of setup. Still, it wasn't that long ago that I took it to a shop to have it set up.

Help me pick an electric in the $200 range.

I was thinking used Les Paul Studio for $200. Used Les Paul 100 can be had for $150.

I saw a used Hamer Californian 2 for $110.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This will mostly be mostly for Blues/Classic R&B/Soul.

If you are still looking try Agile guitars. They have been around for awhile. I bought an LP style AL-2000 black with gold hardware when I first started. The site hasn't changed in the last 15 years but they've pretty much got a copy of every guitar out there.

Mine lasted until I got rid of it. It was setup out of the box and was a pretty good player. They used to get great budget guitar reviews. Do some research and see if they are still good quality. You would definitely be better off getting a new one of these as opposed to anything Squier that's not Vintage Modified.

One other decent cheap brand is Cort. They are out of the same factory as a lot of big name guitars (or they used to be). I've had two X series and loved them both.

Wag

If you are still looking try Agile guitars. They have been around for awhile. I bought an LP style AL-2000 black with gold hardware when I first started. The site hasn't changed in the last 15 years but they've pretty much got a copy of every guitar out there.

Mine lasted until I got rid of it. It was setup out of the box and was a pretty good player. They used to get great budget guitar reviews. Do some research and see if they are still good quality. You would definitely be better off getting a new one of these as opposed to anything Squier that's not Vintage Modified.

One other decent cheap brand is Cort. They are out of the same factory as a lot of big name guitars (or they used to be). I've had two X series and loved them both.

Thanks. I posted that I bought a guitar- a used Epiphone G400 for $200.

RevenWolf

Anyone here play a Tokai? I got a couple of recommendations recently for the Japanese made models in particular.

Also just got recommended a "Harlem" electric guitar in the style of a les Paul. Currently going for $385AUD but a quick google search does not turn up any results which is very disconcerting.

EVOL 100%

Been playing with my Stang/Jag hybrid with humbuckers (it came a week ago), and holy moly, I had no idea that I'd like humbuckers so much.

Maybe it's because the set I'm using is low output and is pretty bright (SD Antiquities), but it sounds perfectly balanced, compared to Jag pickups which have scooped mids. They sound great when playing gigantic chords or lingering single notes all with some reverb. I was having some real trouble in getting my Jag sit in the mix more subtly, but these humbuckers are working like a blanket to the mix, warming things up considerably

There are things that my Jag does better, obviously, but I think I now officially like humbuckers too.

Anyone here play a Tokai? I got a couple of recommendations recently for the Japanese made models in particular.

I ended up with a Greco from '82 instead, but here's my saved E-Bay search from when I was hunting for a Japanese guitar. Here's the small but very useful Tokai Forum, and My Les Paul.com has a subforum for Japanese (and other) knockoffs if you're after a Les Paul.

Stay away from "Canadian Tokais" which were sold for a while in the mid-'00s from a Canadian site, claiming to be Tokais but weren't. Known in some circles as Fakais. They were still decent, Korean-made instruments similar to Rondo's Agile.

RevenWolf

I ended up with a Greco from '82 instead, but here's my saved E-Bay search from when I was hunting for a Japanese guitar. Here's the small but very useful Tokai Forum, and My Les Paul.com has a subforum for Japanese (and other) knockoffs if you're after a Les Paul.

Stay away from "Canadian Tokais" which were sold for a while in the mid-'00s from a Canadian site, claiming to be Tokais but weren't. Known in some circles as Fakais. They were still decent, Korean-made instruments similar to Rondo's Agile.

Cool thanks for the help!

I've got a Tokai LS48 (pic a few pages back) which is made in China and happens to be one of my best guitars - a lot of bang for the buck!!

I've got a Tokai LS48 (pic a few pages back) which is made in China and happens to be one of my best guitars - a lot of bang for the buck!!

Yeah, Tokai does make their lower priced models in China— the comment about the Fakais wasn't a slight against non-Japanese guitars, just a buyer-beware about guitars purported to be Tokai that aren't.

My Fender Japan Stratocaster was possibly made by Tokai (though also could have been Dyna, like my Greco). Bought it new from Ishibashi before Fender put a moratorium on exporting new ones (may have been lifted?). Ishibashi was a great experience despite the first Strat getting lost in the mail.

Top Bottom