• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Played about two hours of GHTV last night. Holy cow do I like that game mechanic. I wish Rock Band could do something similar...

One thing that annoys me about it though: when you get to the ranking at the end, there needs to be a way to tell if someone is on regular, advanced or expert. I was getting 98% and getting fifth while people are at 86% and getting second. So frustrating without knowing what level they are.

Love the guitar but really struggle with Advanced because I need more practice on the setup. Plus the chord middle + note left is just brutal for me to do sight reading. Need to get my fingers used to it.

Not sure I'll love it enough to keep it but it made a great first impression. It's like the opposite of my RB4 experience though I bet I stick with RB4 in the long run.

Does GHTV not support 5.1 audio? Because the rest of the game does, but when I go to GHTV I suddenly only hear sound coming from the front speakers.

Yaari

Played about two hours of GHTV last night. Holy cow do I like that game mechanic. I wish Rock Band could do something similar...

One thing that annoys me about it though: when you get to the ranking at the end, there needs to be a way to tell if someone is on regular, advanced or expert. I was getting 98% and getting fifth while people are at 86% and getting second. So frustrating without knowing what level they are.

Love the guitar but really struggle with Advanced because I need more practice on the setup. Plus the chord middle + note left is just brutal for me to do sight reading. Need to get my fingers used to it.

Not sure I'll love it enough to keep it but it made a great first impression. It's like the opposite of my RB4 experience though I bet I stick with RB4 in the long run.

Yeah it really is a good change from the RB gameplay. I like it a lot. But RB will win for me because I like playing songs I recognize, which does not happen all too often with GHLive unfortunately. I'm still happy I have the game though. It did not cost too much either.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hadnt played in a few days, switched to advanced because normal is boring even if youre shit. I was doing ok, then I got to a metal hour and lost the will to live :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The way GH Live works makes me scared to try advanced, if only because I don't want to place low on the rankings and earn half the coins I normally would. I kind of wish it didn't have this grinding crap.

Deft Beck

I gave Guitar Hero Live a shot at one of the Gamestop kiosks and had fun. I was always a Rock Band person but the new controller impressed me.

Sometimes I think it's on me
Sometimes I think it's the calibration
Sometimes I think it's a faulty strum bar

But I never know which one it actually is. This sucks.

I agree, at the end it should tell you what difficulty everyone is playing on and also what powerup everyone is using (I would guess 90% of people are using bombs anyway since they don't cost any coins.)

The way GH Live works makes me scared to try advanced, if only because I don't want to place low on the rankings and earn half the coins I normally would. I kind of wish it didn't have this grinding crap.
As far as I can tell you earn coins either way. Ranking up doesn't really do anything since you're always going to be playing with people of the same level.

I keep getting kicked out of songs after 10 minutes of having the guitar connected by an error that says the connection has dropped :( Not sure what causes it but it's making the game unplayable, and I don't want to have to remove/insert the dongle after every single song to avoid it...

Can't find any fixes online so I'll be looking for a replacement, I guess :<

I keep getting kicked out of songs after 10 minutes of having the guitar connected by an error that says the connection has dropped :( Not sure what causes it but it's making the game unplayable, and I don't want to have to remove/insert the dongle after every single song to avoid it...

Can't find any fixes online so I'll be looking for a replacement, I guess :<
I've heard other Bluetooth devices nearby can cause issues.

Just switched to advanced and am not playing great but the game is so much more fun in spite of this.

I'm not really noticing a big change in my rankings or coins to be honest. Probably around 20-30 fewer coins maybe? Nothing significant and since I don't really know how they're calculated I wouldn't put all down to the difficulty. Rankings are basically the same though, since playing slightly worse on a higher difficulty is still worth around the same points in the end.

Fuck guitar solos though.

Yeah it really is a good change from the RB gameplay. I like it a lot. But RB will win for me because I like playing songs I recognize, which does not happen all too often with GHLive unfortunately. I'm still happy I have the game though. It did not cost too much either.
I can understand wanting to play songs I recognize but I also love being introduced to new songs which GHTV does perfectly. So it is a hard line to walk. That's why I wish Rock Band would steal the GHTV idea but still allow you to buy songs so you can play the ones you like. It's like each is doing one piece really right but the combo would be the best of both worlds.

You're right about the cost being reasonable too. I got the game and guitar for $90 which is only $10 more than what I will spend on Rock Band 4 to use my old instruments (I would cry tears of joy if they can figure out how to map the new Guitar Hero Live guitar to Rock Band 4). So I'll probably keep it for GHTV and the challenge of learning this new way of rocking. My wife made a good point that it has been a long time since I felt challenged with a game and this is definitely a challenge!

hadnt played in a few days, switched to advanced because normal is boring even if youre shit. I was doing ok, then I got to a metal hour and lost the will to live :(
lol yeah I played in normal and was bored then played Advanced and was murdered. I think I need more time practicing the songs on disc so I can improve and "unlearn what I have learned" with Rock Band.
I never noticed my coins changing when scoring lower. It was only status and even that wasn't too bad. Plus it was so much more fun on advanced over normal.
I gave Guitar Hero Live a shot at one of the Gamestop kiosks and had fun. I was always a Rock Band person but the new controller impressed me.
The new controller is phenomenal. I wish they would manufacture a similar one for Rock Band because it is so much better than the Rock Band guitar. Or, better yet, Harmonix map the GH Live controller to RB4.

Honestly, I think I'm only going to use play tokens to play songs required to access premium shows.

I've had no real motivation to play songs I want on demand.

The jump from advance to expert is huge. I can practically %100 every advance song but when it comes to some expert songs it just doesnt click. Loving the difficulty though

Isn't the connection between the guitar and USB receiver Bluetooth, though?

I guess I can't be completely certain of that. The FCC report for the Wii U dongle lists the same Operating Frequency Range of 2402-2479MHz for all of the different dongles listed, as well as the guitar. This is actually pretty interesting as there is only 1 application for the guitar, which leads me to believe that ALL of the guitars are the same and the only difference is firmware.

This makes sense too since Activision was saying around E3 that any guitar would work on the mobile version of the game. I'm guessing that they hadn't figured out how they were going to monetize GH:L on iOS, and after that they made the decision to actually sell a guitar bundle for mobile just like for consoles. It actually seems that the app might completely bypass the need to unlock the full game via IAP if the user is playing with a guitar controller. This presents a loophole to getting the game for free if you already own the game on another platform, so they put something in the firmware of the mobile specific guitar so that the app would only allow the mobile specific guitar to connect.

sneaky77

Honestly, I think I'm only going to use play tokens to play songs required to access premium shows.

I've had no real motivation to play songs I want on demand.
Yea, I've just enjoying turning onto a channel and play for longer than I thought I would to whatever comes on

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ranking doesn't affect your coins, it affects your status.
That's what I meant. At first place I seem to earn 150-190 coins, but if I start a song in the middle and score last place, it's like 75 coins?

Since they're so hard to come by unless you grind, losing out on 50% of your coins seems like a big sacrifice just to play the game on a harder difficulty.

I just got to level 20 and I feel like I can keep up with a lot of songs on Expert already. But I wonder why they make players hit the cap that early.

sneaky77

That's what I meant. At first place I seem to earn 150-190 coins, but if I start a song in the middle and score last place, it's like 75 coins?

Since they're so hard to come by unless you grind, losing out on 50% of your coins seems like a big sacrifice just to play the game on a harder difficulty.
I much rather enjoy playing it than worry about the coins, they seem to accumulate regardless anyway

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I much rather enjoy playing it than worry about the coins, they seem to accumulate regardless anyway
Yeah, but earning fewer coins makes you even less competitive in the scoreboard stuff. Particularly since you need to buy all those guitar upgrades and then spend money on power ups.

Btw, to get the trophy which requires you to FC 4 songs on Expert within GH Live you can 'simply' FC the same song 4 times. That counts.

For the 1000 note streak in GHTV try FC'ing Cry of Achilles by Alter Bridge on REGULAR (~1020 notes). That should make it quite easy.

Ok I'm ready for more songs. If I hear White Denim one more time...

Just kidding, love that trippy video with the weird animated Howdy Doody guys!

Just spent about 3 hours streaming this game and chatting with friends. They enjoyed the concert I gave them (lol) and I enjoyed finding new songs. GHTV is so so awesome. What a great way to spend this Saturday night.

Made the jump to Expert tonight. Damn. Sometimes I feel like:

tumblr_m5qxfbySTi1qcqnq5o4_500.gif

...but other times I feel like:

Such a great game. Haven't played all 200 songs yet but I want more!

Almost every session I play throws Breaking the Law at me, which is way too simple and boring to play for me.

Just hit level 17, guitar level 9. I'm completely ignoring the "more Hero Power sections" upgrades for now and am playing with the difficulty increase power because chart readability goes down the toilet with HP activated.

The grind is starting to feel like a chore to me now.

Hazaku

Finally moved onto expert! Albeit the 4 intensity songs at best.

God I fucking love playing Float On in these games haha.

Rion1

Neo Member
According To You is the biggest troll in the game. Simple power chords for most of the song, and then one of the most horrifically complex solos in the game follows and you watch your placing go down in a heartbeat

This game is really neat, I'm at the point where I can at least three star songs on Expert. My fave part of playing on expert is when the heavy strumming sections come and the rankings just SINK for everyone not playing the higher difficulties due to the note frequencies being huge but the challenge bein relatively low

Has Acti/Freestyle talked at all about their support plans for new tracks? If they could drip feed what we have to look forward to I'll be pretty happy

There is some truly horrific shit in this game isn't there? I used to like metal and stuff when I was a kid and my mum was always like "IT'S JUST NOISE" and I would defend the fuck out of it. Now I listen to this stuff and I'm like oh my God it's just fucking noise.

It's not at all fun to play, either, just feels like a million random prompts coming far too quickly to react to - which I realise is just me being shit but that's the kind of time when GHTV fails, because it's too hard to sightread that stuff. Like I haven't played a single fun guitar solo since I got the game. I'm sure glad channel 2 exists, haha.

Oh, and I'm getting seriously pissed off at the "choose your power" thing at the start of every fucking song. Often I'll let one song play and wait for the next one, but then when I start to play the next one I miss the first ten notes because the game just takes my first press, removes the highway, and asks me what power I want to use. Fuck's sake.

There is some truly horrific shit in this game isn't there? I used to like metal and stuff when I was a kid and my mum was always like "IT'S JUST NOISE" and I would defend the fuck out of it. Now I listen to this stuff and I'm like oh my God it's just fucking noise.

It's not at all fun to play, either, just feels like a million random prompts coming far too quickly to react to - which I realise is just me being shit but that's the kind of time when GHTV fails, because it's too hard to sightread that stuff. Like I haven't played a single fun guitar solo since I got the game. I'm sure glad channel 2 exists, haha.

Oh, and I'm getting seriously pissed off at the "choose your power" thing at the start of every fucking song. Often I'll let one song play and wait for the next one, but then when I start to play the next one I miss the first ten notes because the game just takes my first press, removes the highway, and asks me what power I want to use. Fuck's sake.
Really? I thought the power thing always went away before the first note.

Anyway I agree with you about the metal. There is one song called Architect or something that is literally one man screaming for 5 minutes. I felt like my ears were bleeding.

Really? I thought the power thing always went away before the first note.

They do, but if you join a song half way through they do come up. And when I skip the song before it decides that I'm joining half way through when I start to play the next one, so when I try and hit the first not it just brings up that stupid menu instead. It's very frustrating.

Silly question but is there anything I can do to stop my guitar from squeaking? It sounds like one of those little toy dogs that does back flips when I play. Very loud and very distracting but it still functions. I am afraid to mess with it and make it quiet and broken.

Four Year Strong's track is probably one of my favourite charts to play lol

Finally came in the mail for WiiU, it seems like its taking me way to long to get use to the buttons. Pretty fun, crowd looks so weird to songs like berzerk

Smarty86

Does anyone else have problems with the trophy for all sets in live mode completed as "awesome"? All sets show "awesome" for me, but the trophy doesn't pop. Will try to play all songs awesome and see if that helps...

Does anyone else have problems with the trophy for all sets in live mode completed as "awesome"? All sets show "awesome" for me, but the trophy doesn't pop. Will try to play all songs awesome and see if that helps...
No it popped for me as soon as I did it. You don't need all songs for awesome, just each set. Double check that you really do have all of them marked as awesome before you play every song again.

I still haven't actually played Live mode beyond the tutorial
I love the Live sets, I wish there were more. =(

I love the Live sets, I wish there were more. =(

Yeah I played some today and they are excellent. The crowd singing along to Elbow as I was "on stage" playing it gave me goosebumps.

Just wasn't bothering with the Live aspect because it feels like a waste of time when I could be in TV. Since I've done them and the Premium shows are ending today though there was no need to hang around in the channels waiting for one of the songs to pop up to unlock them, so hit Live for a bit.

Top Bottom