• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
I started having issues with my guitar today. Downstrumming won't register most of the time. I had random missed notes before but now it happens on almost every note.

GeekMarty

I started having issues with my guitar today. Downstrumming won't register most of the time. I had random missed notes before but now it happens on almost every note.
Though it probably isn't true for everyone, this seems to be a dongle interference problem most of the time.
Try restarting your console and re-pair the dongle to your guitar.

I still don't understand the fuzz with GHTV. A new kind of MT. Now the tendency is that this kind is worst than DLC'S for armor o meaningless crap?

Cosmetic stuff doesn't affect the people who don't want it.

What's the fuzz? People can't play the way they want.

It's fine if you just enjoy playing whatever on the channels, and it's fine if people don't.

Smarty86

Though it probably isn't true for everyone, this seems to be a dongle interference problem most of the time.
Try restarting your console and re-pair the dongle to your guitar.

I already played several hours with 2 guitars and I also think there are major interference issues. I am playing on PS4 and maybe the distance between the two USB slots is too small. Reconnecting doesn't really help since the missing note parts seem to be pretty random and not guitar specific. I will try to get a USB cable to seperate the two dongles and try if this helps. Did anyone try this yet?
It is so annoying to duell someone and then randomly missing notes where you are 100% sure you hit them. In SP it all seems to be fine though.
I wonder why they didn't test this. I mean the PS4 setup is always the same, right? So it should be easy to plugin two dongles and play. Must be business men getting greedy again. Saving additional 0,0001 cents per dongle/controller.

I didn't have huge expectations for GHL, but I'm honestly shocked and surprised at how fun GHTV turned out to be. The song selection seems diverse enough and it's easy to get into the "one more song" groove. I can see how the play token stuff ruins the game for people who want to grind a song, but I can deal with this system.

My brain needed some serious retraining on Advanced, but after a couple of days I've been scoring 90%+ and beating people on most songs (a couple of upgrades probably help). I can handle chords, but fast runs alternating between black and white still make me flail hopelessly.

I haven't used the powerups at all because I heavily dislike consumable items. Maybe after I've purchased all the guitar upgrades I'll dabble with them and see how sustainable they are with the in-game credits.

Potential improvements:
- Show the song intensity when it starts.
- Maybe I missed it, but I can't see how many play tokens I have when it asks me if I want to use one?
- It would be nice to see upcoming songs on a channel. The website would be enough.

edit: Oh, and a variable scroll speed setting. It's strange why music games haven't copied this from Beatmania. Rock Band is getting "variable breackneck speed" which should be along those lines. Hopefully it's customizable.

Orcastar

Maybe it's bugged for me then. You're supposed to receive more coins for logging in the more consecutive days you've logged in, but for some reason I just receive the day one bonus every time, as if it's always the first day I log in.

I'm experiencing the same issue. Been playing every day since Friday and I've only ever gotten the day one bonus.

It's on Live, but yes, it's the single version.

I don't think I'd ever listened to the single version before this. It really feels butchered. But I suppose it's to be expected if GHTV is the primary focus. I'm guessing that song selection went first and they took the 40-odd live setlist from there.

HvySky

Keep meaning to finish Live, but am always dragged back into TV every single time I boot up the game. Playing through channels is so damn addictiing!

Also recently made the move up to expert. Feeling pretty confident so far; I haven't come close to playing every song in the game, so I'm sure whatever's in the metal genre will handily kick my ass, but I'm gaining 4s and 5s in the songs I have played. The only issue I'm still having is switching three note bar chords. Whenever they come up my hand is just all, "Oh my GOD we can't move that way what are you even DOING."

Z3M0G

Can someone break down the play-per-pay ratio, of how many credits you earn after playing a song, or 5 songs, compared to how many credits it costs to replay a favorite song from GHTV?

GHTV takes an absurd amount of bandwidth. From my bandwidth monitor:

Downstream: 6-15mbps
Upstream 0.2-0.4mbps

I should track it for an hour to see how much it uses, but that might put it at nearly 5GB/hour if it averages that.

Yup... I was worried about this...

Fine for me, since I have no cap, but this is a party game that you may take to a friend's house... and this mode would be the mode of choice during party play, so you may eat their data without realizing it...

Moff

I originally didn't want to support this game because of the way the deal with microtransactions, but gamestop gave me the game + guitar for 10 measly bucks and 2 old ass 3ds games so I thought I will give it a try.

good things first:
I really like the way they implemented the live videos, I can't wait to do that in VR.

now to stuff I did not like:
- the career mode is not motivating, not at all.
in previous installments I had to unlock higher difficulties progressively.
this motivated me to master all the songs in the career mode.
this would have been great here as well, especially because I liked the live videos.
but there is no progression. you can't even fail a song. you play everything once and that's it, after that it's quickplay for the songs you like/are interested in. this basically destroys career mode save for the very first time playing it. it's bad game design.

- the guitar:
I would not say it's necessarily bad, it's different, which is something I always welcome.
it's certainly not easier, it takes a lot of practice and it will fuck you up good.

but I remember the moment I truly fell in love with GH1, it was the moment I was able to use the orange button. the movement with the hand was what made feel like holding a guitar. and apparently, many players were not able to do that so they changed it.
it's a shame, honestly. again, not saying it's bad per se, but I just don't feel it anymore.
if there is a future for plastic guitar games, I'd really like one with 2x5 buttons.

- the online mode:
now, this is something I hated when I first read about it. but just like the guitar, I actually think it's a great concept. it just doesn't work for me.
first of all, I felt there was a huge difference in quality when it came to the notes, this might just be a feeling but I think the actual songs on the game were done much more carefully than the ones in the online mode, those felt rushed.
now this is great for people who only play this casually to hit some notes, paly random songs on their video clips, it's actually a cool idea.
but is this really what guitar hero is about? not to me at least. I want to master songs. online mode does not give me that opportunity.

so all in all, I feel it's a game that is not made for people who loved the first GHs, that doesn't mean it's bad, but it's certainly not for me.

Z3M0G

good things first:
I really like the way they implemented the live videos, I can't wait to do that in VR.

Is this confirmed to be coming? How will it work? Will you be able to look around freely and see the audience and your band members around you? Would be interesting if it can be done... you won't be able to walk around the stage, though, since they are not 3D models.

I wonder where the note board will exist... will it float in a set location in 3D space? Perhaps over the audience? Or will it be locked into your HUD and always in the center of your view no matter where you are looking (similar to how it displays now in the scripted video).

So yah, has it been stated this will have VR support??

Yaari

I received the game today. I really love the gameplay. Not having to slide my hand and use my pinky is much better for me.

And it is really difficult to stop playing GHTV once you are into it.

Theres so few songs I actually recognize though. Too bad really. Hopefully more recognizable content is added soon.

zert

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but which microphone do you guys recommend to buy? (Wii U) version. Thanks!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So no one knows if there's a song listing anywhere online or in the game for the GHTV blocks?

GHTV is fine, but I really just want to know what block to look for to play the song I want without having to pay for it, especially if you need the in game cash to buy upgrades and can't buy any song tokens.

So no one knows if there's a song listing anywhere online or in the game for the GHTV blocks?

GHTV is fine, but I really just want to know what block to look for to play the song I want without having to pay for it, especially if you need the in game cash to buy upgrades and can't buy any song tokens.
So wait, why can't you use your play tokens? Just don't want to? I have like 30 I'm sitting on, they come hard and fast at least in the beginning.

Edit: oh you just don't want to? Sorry can't help you =/

Smarty86

Okay, i am lvl 14 now and recognize that your play tokens will be gone pretty fast. The problem is the high amount of coins you will have to spend on guitar upgrades. You will not be able to buy plays with your coins for a pretty long time until you have upgraded your guitar fully. But that will take a lot of time. There are four categories to upgrade. The first upgrade in every category costs 6000 coins, the second 9000 IIRC. So thats 15k x 4 = 60k just for the first two of four upgrades. If you play well you can earn about 200 coins per song. So thats at least 60k/200 = 300 songs you have to play for that and i don't know yet what the other upgrades do cost, but it will certainly be more. So be sure to save enough play tokens, because you won't earn a lot of them when you reach higher levels. At least until your guitar is fully upgraded, which will take ages. And even after that you might be forced to buy hero powers for coins, which will reduce the rate you earn plays further.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So wait, why can't you use your play tokens? Just don't want to? I have like 30 I'm sitting on, they come hard and fast at least in the beginning.

Edit: oh you just don't want to? Sorry can't help you =/
Yeah, I have a few, but assuming they keep adding new premium sets, they'll run out sooner rather than later.

This is how they're getting you to spend money, because I am actually considering buying the stupid all day pass just to grind through as many songs as possible to prepare for the upcoming premium set lists. lol

And yeah, it looks like you'd be stupid to spend coins on plays when you have to grind for upgrades.

The fact that GHTV and GH Live are two separate things is kind of bad as well, because although I want to 5 star all the songs in GH Live, I feel like I'm "wasting" time because I'm not earning coins... it's a strange disincentive for one half of the game.

The postal service dropped it off today. I didn't hear them knock -- nor did I hear FedEx when they came -- but they both just dropped the packages off at my door. Thankfully it wasn't raining and I'm not close to anyone else (nor do I have neighbours who'd steal).

I saw the most played GHTV songs and the list included most of my favourites: Disturbed, koRn, and the other heavier songs.

Looking forward to playing it soon. Hopefully this weekend.

Okay, i am lvl 14 now and recognize that your play tokens will be gone pretty fast. The problem is the high amount of coins you will have to spend on guitar upgrades. You will not be able to buy plays with your coins for a pretty long time until you have upgraded your guitar fully. But that will take a lot of time. There are four categories to upgrade. The first upgrade in every category costs 6000 coins, the second 9000 IIRC. So thats 15k x 4 = 60k just for the first two of four upgrades. If you play well you can earn about 200 coins per song. So thats at least 60k/200 = 300 songs you have to play for that and i don't know yet what the other upgrades do cost, but it will certainly be more. So be sure to save enough play tokens, because you won't earn a lot of them when you reach higher levels. At least until your guitar is fully upgraded, which will take ages. And even after that you might be forced to buy hero powers for coins, which will reduce the rate you earn plays further.

I would argue at least that "more power-up sections" is a waste of money, because the power-up they give you unlimited uses of isn't actually worth any points, so the only way to make use of that guitar upgrade is to keep spending coins on power-ups on top of the cost of the upgrade.

I'm not sure it'll take a huuuuuuge amount of time to upgrade everything once they get the daily log-in bonuses working either. 1,800 coins per day for nothing will go a fair way alongside your game time.

Smarty86

I would argue at least that "more power-up sections" is a waste of money, because the power-up they give you unlimited uses of isn't actually worth any points, so the only way to make use of that guitar upgrade is to keep spending coins on power-ups on top of the cost of the upgrade.

I'm not sure it'll take a huuuuuuge amount of time to upgrade everything once they get the daily log-in bonuses working either. 1,800 coins per day for nothing will go a fair way alongside your game time.

Yes, i agree. We will see in the long run how hard the grind will be. At the moment i just don't know the amount of coins you have pay for full upgrades. This was just a rough estimation. Guess we will have to talk about this in a few weeks/months again.

Yeah, I have a few, but assuming they keep adding new premium sets, they'll run out sooner rather than later.

This is how they're getting you to spend money, because I am actually considering buying the stupid all day pass just to grind through as many songs as possible to prepare for the upcoming premium set lists. lol

And yeah, it looks like you'd be stupid to spend coins on plays when you have to grind for upgrades.

The fact that GHTV and GH Live are two separate things is kind of bad as well, because although I want to 5 star all the songs in GH Live, I feel like I'm "wasting" time because I'm not earning coins... it's a strange disincentive for one half of the game.
I'll agree with you on this, I don't see why you can't earn coins in Live. Oh well.

I really wish they would fix the daily login bug. Every day I play I should be getting 1000+ coins just for logging on.

I really think they should explain better how the scoring works in leaderboards.

As others said, I sometimes do terrible and end up first, and other times I 100% and end up 4th.

The only "constant" thing I notice is you always play with people of similar GHTV level. So I guess they assume you have the same coin pool to spend on guitar upgrades? What about difficulty? Surely there's enough players online so GHTV leadboards can be grouped by difficulty? And then maybe by upgrades in use and so on.

I also don't like the random amount of coins awarded in GHTV. Same thing as above - sometimes I finish first with 100% and get 165 coins.... next song I do terrible and out of top 3, and somehow get 195

I really think they should explain better how the scoring works in leaderboards.

As others said, I sometimes do terrible and end up first, and other times I 100% and end up 4th.

The only "constant" thing I notice is you always play with people of similar GHTV level. So I guess they assume you have the same coin pool to spend on guitar upgrades? What about difficulty?

Surely there's enough players online so GHTV can be grouped by difficulty? And then maybe by upgrades in use and so on.

I also don't like the random amount of coins awarded in GHTV. Same thing as above - sometimes I finish first with 100% and get 165 coins.... next song I do terrible and out of top 3, and somehow get 195
In GHTV there can be a huge variability in the leaderboards due to different difficulties, powerups, and guitar upgrades. I don't know why they did it that way but they did.

I wonder if coin count has more to do with how many notes are in the song.

Status is directly linked to position, but I think coins might be linked to other things as well, like streaks, strong starts/finishes, FC, length of song, amount of notes you miss, etc.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the fact that the censor songs is beyond sad to me.

i like the game but damn... they are trying hard to cock it up

SFenton

OT title really should have been |OT| Destiny Hero.

I'm level 13 on guitar now, with a level 7 instrument. Getting the instrument to max level is gonna take a long while.

It helps that I'm decimating every group I'm in on GHTV.

From reading a quick post on Reddit (in regards to a song list for the GHTV channels), someone said they pull from a list of songs so when a channel shows up, it could be a number of songs from that genre.

If you go to the song catalog and sort by Indie, for example, then the list of songs that were sorted have a chance to appear whenever and Indie channel comes. (This is my guess)

In the GHTV Premium section, there is an Indie Rock Blockbusters setlist, and in order to play that setlist, you need to pay hero cash OR play 3 specific songs (Under the Pressure, Are You Gonna Be My Girl and A-Punk) and get 3 stars on them. I know some of us would rather have a chance at playing these songs during a channel that way we don't have to use a token (That's how it works, right? Someone here mentioned that I believe).

Looking at the upcoming channels, there's an Indie block at 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm (est). Maybe there's a chance one of these songs will be played? Be aware that Are You Gonna Be My Girl, even though it's in that Indie setlist, is actually Rock but the other 2 are indie. So maybe the other 2 can show up during those times and maybe you can catch the other song during a Rock block? Just a thought.

Just for the hell of it, I decided to write down the songs that appeared in channels:

Channel 1:

Top Picks - 6pm

6:00 - The Final Episode (Let’s change the channel) - Asking Alexandria
6:05 - Girls & Boys - Good Charlotte
6:10 - Eyes of a Stranger - Queensryche
6:15 - Cult of Personality - Living Colour
6:20 - I Fought the Law - The Clash
6:25 - Cowboys from Hell - Pantera

Rock Top Hits - 6:30pm

6:30 - Drive - Incubus
6:35 - Don’t Be Cruel - Cheap Trick
6:40 - Tighten Up - The Black Keys
6:45 - No Shows - Gerard Way

Channel 2:

Indie Uncovered - 5:30

5:45 - Time to Pretend - MGMT
5:50 - City - Spring King
5:55 - Rollercoaster - Bleachers

Pure Blockbusters - 6pm

6:00 - It’s Real - Real Estate
6:05 - Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
6:10 - Don’t Let Me Be Lonely
6:15 - Shark Attack
6:20 - I wanna dance but i don’t know how - the skaters
Valentine’s Day - david bowie
6:25 - american idiot - green day

GHTV: POP - 6:30pm

6:30pm - You know I’m no good - Amy Winehouse
6:35pm - We Are Done - The Madden Brothers
6:40pm - Let Her Go - Passenger
6:45pm - Somebody to You - The Vamps

I'll check tomorrow around the same time just to make sure it is indeed a random set of songs that are getting pulled from list.

Times may vary a little since song lengths differ but for the most part, there should be 6 songs during that half an hour.

Wait, how does the premium section work? I played one and I don't think it took any coins away or anything. At least it didn't tell me I was spending anything.

Wait, how does the premium section work? I played one and I don't think it took any coins away or anything. At least it didn't tell me I was spending anything.

Free shows that require you to complete challenges like three starring whatever song. If you beat the challenge ages ago it still count too.

You can also use Hero Cash to get in immediately.

The Avenged Sevenfold thing is open to everyone for free. Other shows you have to spend Hero Cash (real world money) or complete certain songs to unlock.

Top Bottom