• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

.hacked

question for anyone with xbox one version, am I the only one with performance issues? Frame rate all over the place really messes with the flow of the game. Worse in GTV, in Live mode only stutters a little bit.

question for anyone with xbox one version, am I the only one with performance issues? Frame rate all over the place really messes with the flow of the game. Worse in GTV, in Live mode only stutters a little bit.

Now that you mention it, I had issues the first couple days (even in Live mode random songs would crawl for a few seconds, which is so weird considering it's not even streaming), but after that, everything's been fine. Forgot I even had those issues.

Use Me by Hinder epitomizes the absolute worst of 2000s hard rock, and combined with an absolute dick of a chart it happily sits as my least favourite song in the game.

Storm360

Calibration in this game is garbage... hopefully there will be a patch that changes to the rock band style calibration because this doesn't seem to want to work at all

From reading a quick post on Reddit (in regards to a song list for the GHTV channels), someone said they pull from a list of songs so when a channel shows up, it could be a number of songs from that genre.

If you go to the song catalog and sort by Indie, for example, then the list of songs that were sorted have a chance to appear whenever and Indie channel comes. (This is my guess)

In the GHTV Premium section, there is an Indie Rock Blockbusters setlist, and in order to play that setlist, you need to pay hero cash OR play 3 specific songs (Under the Pressure, Are You Gonna Be My Girl and A-Punk) and get 3 stars on them. I know some of us would rather have a chance at playing these songs during a channel that way we don't have to use a token (That's how it works, right? Someone here mentioned that I believe).

Looking at the upcoming channels, there's an Indie block at 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm (est). Maybe there's a chance one of these songs will be played? Be aware that Are You Gonna Be My Girl, even though it's in that Indie setlist, is actually Rock but the other 2 are indie. So maybe the other 2 can show up during those times and maybe you can catch the other song during a Rock block? Just a thought.

Just for the hell of it, I decided to write down the songs that appeared in channels:

Channel 1:

Top Picks - 6pm

6:00 - The Final Episode (Let’s change the channel) - Asking Alexandria
6:05 - Girls & Boys - Good Charlotte
6:10 - Eyes of a Stranger - Queensryche
6:15 - Cult of Personality - Living Colour
6:20 - I Fought the Law - The Clash
6:25 - Cowboys from Hell - Pantera

Rock Top Hits - 6:30pm

6:30 - Drive - Incubus
6:35 - Don’t Be Cruel - Cheap Trick
6:40 - Tighten Up - The Black Keys
6:45 - No Shows - Gerard Way

Channel 2:

Indie Uncovered - 5:30

5:45 - Time to Pretend - MGMT
5:50 - City - Spring King
5:55 - Rollercoaster - Bleachers

Pure Blockbusters - 6pm

6:00 - It’s Real - Real Estate
6:05 - Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
6:10 - Don’t Let Me Be Lonely
6:15 - Shark Attack
6:20 - I wanna dance but i don’t know how - the skaters
Valentine’s Day - david bowie
6:25 - american idiot - green day

GHTV: POP - 6:30pm

6:30pm - You know I’m no good - Amy Winehouse
6:35pm - We Are Done - The Madden Brothers
6:40pm - Let Her Go - Passenger
6:45pm - Somebody to You - The Vamps

I'll check tomorrow around the same time just to make sure it is indeed a random set of songs that are getting pulled from list.

Times may vary a little since song lengths differ but for the most part, there should be 6 songs during that half an hour.

There are three songs in each 15 minute block. It wouldn't surprise me if each song had two "partners" so all three show up together, it would be the easiest way to ensure that each show always lasts exactly half an hour

Firehead

Calibration in this game is garbage... hopefully there will be a patch that changes to the rock band style calibration because this doesn't seem to want to work at all

Yeah, it's driving me nuts. I just can't find a sweet spot with their sliding bell. Would be really nice if they'd give us the option to manually input the offsets.

Even tried the option to let the game auto-calibrate itself during play, but that didn't seem to help much either; it just isn't consistent with keeping the lag in check.

Storm360

Yeah, it's driving me nuts. I just can't find a sweet spot with their sliding bell. Would be really nice if they'd give us the option to manually input the offsets.

Even tried the option to let the game auto-calibrate itself during play, but that didn't seem to help much either; it just isn't consistent with keeping the lag in check.

Auto Calibrate seems to work for one song for me then goes back to being unplayable, the cowbell system really sucks

Smarty86

Auto Calibrate seems to work for one song for me then goes back to being unplayable, the cowbell system really sucks

I don't have problems after trial and error calibrating with the "cowbell" system. I have no problems on advanced so far. But i believe there are some songs where the notes are just off, because at some passages it really seems like i play right to the sound but it doesnt fit the notes or vice versa. At 99% of the time it seems so fit, it's just some small parts.

gar3

I went into the Bandwidth Usage portion of the System Menu on Xbox One after playing GH TV for five hours last night. I did not exit Channel One except to try out three Premium Channels during the third hour:

1.44GB [6pm - 6:59pm E.S.T.]
1.45GB [7pm - 7:59pm E.S.T.]
1.15GB [8pm - 8:59pm E.S.T.]
1.86GB [9pm - 9:59pm E.S.T.]
1.76GB [10pm - 10:59pm E.S.T.]

I hope those numbers help others who are wondering about the game in relationship to their ISP's download caps.
I can easily do this again if more data is desired.

I wish there was a way to turn the guitar track up a little bit so I could hear it better than everything else.

Haha, I wish I could turn it down so the vocals were the right volume in comparison so all the songs I like stop sounding weird.

I'll agree with you on this, I don't see why you can't earn coins in Live. Oh well.

I really wish they would fix the daily login bug. Every day I play I should be getting 1000+ coins just for logging on.

I'm wondering if the coin bonus is actually working, but the display isn't. I logged in today and didn't get any notification at all but I'm sure I have way more coins than I had yesterday, so I wonder if I am getting the day 5 bonus even though it's telling me I'm getting the day 1 one still. I'll have to check tomorrow.

I'm wondering if the coin bonus is actually working, but the display isn't. I logged in today and didn't get any notification at all but I'm sure I have way more coins than I had yesterday, so I wonder if I am getting the day 5 bonus even though it's telling me I'm getting the day 1 one still. I'll have to check tomorrow.
Interesting, you may be right. I'll try to pay attention tonight. It seems like it turns over around 8pm here (EST).

Okay, i am lvl 14 now and recognize that your play tokens will be gone pretty fast. The problem is the high amount of coins you will have to spend on guitar upgrades. You will not be able to buy plays with your coins for a pretty long time until you have upgraded your guitar fully. But that will take a lot of time. There are four categories to upgrade. The first upgrade in every category costs 6000 coins, the second 9000 IIRC. So thats 15k x 4 = 60k just for the first two of four upgrades. If you play well you can earn about 200 coins per song. So thats at least 60k/200 = 300 songs you have to play for that and i don't know yet what the other upgrades do cost, but it will certainly be more. So be sure to save enough play tokens, because you won't earn a lot of them when you reach higher levels. At least until your guitar is fully upgraded, which will take ages. And even after that you might be forced to buy hero powers for coins, which will reduce the rate you earn plays further.

Final upgrade is 15k, so a FULLY upgraded guitar is 120,000 coins.I still think you could do just as well with 90,000 though unless you're buying power-ups, and if you've got coins to waste on that then you're probably not scraping around for them. If the daily coin bonus works, you could hit 90,000 in one month by playing one show a day, or thereabouts. Actually probably quicker because you'd get a bunch of bonuses for levelling up too.

Hah, I ended up getting $60 worth of Hero Cash (20,700) due to an issue I had redeeming my code for Wii U. Ended up being given 3 different codes to try when their redemption page wasn't working, and just tried today and all 3 codes worked. I was really mad about the whole thing but can't complain now.

Don't know what I'm going to spend the HC on though, since I mostly just play GHTV channels. Looks like I could buy 400 plays, but eh. I think I'll just hold on to it in case they add more things to spend HC on. Really wish I could buy guitar upgrades this way, lol.

I swear my calibration just died after the first day.

I played nearly the entirety of Live without any problems and now it's fucking shit.

antitrop

I swear my calibration just died after the first day.

I played nearly the entirety of Live without any problems and now it's fucking shit.

Changing calibration from day to day has always been my Guitar Hero way. I have never found a "sweet spot" in any of the games ever.

I'm finally able to play on Advanced comfortably now. I hoping to be playing on Expert by next week.

I'm playing on PS4, but really wanted it on Wii U. I chose not to buy it for Nintendo's console because the NX is around the corner, and I was looking for a title that would last for quite a bit.

I always seem to have calibration issues in every single Guitar Hero. Rock Band I always calibrated once and that was it.

GH Live probably has the worst calibration set up I've ever seen in any of these music games.

Changing calibration from day to day has always been my Guitar Hero way. I have never found a "sweet spot" in any of the games ever.

Jup I had the same issue two days ago. Could not hit a single note...
Now it seems to work again.

Weird. Hopefully they change the rubbish calibration system to something a bit more effective and easier to do without guessing.

Getting into the groove with expert now. Still need to use Advanced for some of the crazier stuff like Halestorm and the entire Blackout Conspiracy set, but something like Club Foot is solid.

fernoca

I'm finally able to play on Advanced comfortably now. I hoping to be playing on Expert by next week.

I'm playing on PS4, but really wanted it on Wii U. I chose not to buy it for Nintendo's console because the NX is around the corner, and I was looking for a title that would last for quite a bit.
Playing it on Wii U. Outside the possibility of the guitar not working on a possible release in NX, if it makes it by the end of 2016 as the earliest; that means I still can play this for a year. :p

Of course that will also depend on the plans for future games (like a new one next year). At least with no DLC, there's no worries of something not ecporting.

Free Halloween player card in the store:

GnGLsdd.png

They also said there were 2 new highways and 8 new player cards.

GnGLsdd.png

Schedule PST:

Thursday, October 29 – 7:00PM

Friday, October 30 – 3:00AM, 11:00AM, 9:00PM

Saturday, October 31 – 3:00AM, 9:00AM, 3:00PM, 8:30PM

Sunday, November 1 – 12:30AM, 07:30AM, 11:30AM

Effect

I went into the Bandwidth Usage portion of the System Menu on Xbox One after playing GH TV for five hours last night. I did not exit Channel One except to try out three Premium Channels during the third hour:

1.44GB [6pm - 6:59pm E.S.T.]
1.45GB [7pm - 7:59pm E.S.T.]
1.15GB [8pm - 8:59pm E.S.T.]
1.86GB [9pm - 9:59pm E.S.T.]
1.76GB [10pm - 10:59pm E.S.T.]

I hope those numbers help others who are wondering about the game in relationship to their ISP's download caps.
I can easily do this again if more data is desired.

That's a lot and it's going to be add up fast if anyone decides they like this game enough to play it everyday for long sessions. My ISP recently switched over to an overall data cap. Before there was a limit but it was only for peak time usage. Outside of that you could use as much as you wanted. For example if I were to say use GHTV every day for a few hours each evening I could possibly burn through half or come close to half of my monthly cap going by those numbers.I'm not at my ISP's lowest tier either. A single game able to do that is troublesome.

Is there an option to disable the music video that goes with these songs? I would assume that's what's eating up the bandwidth. Any option to just have the song come in with a generic background?

T.O.P

Banned
Last night was supposed to go like

- Tune in GH for a quick go through the Rock playlist at 9.00
- Finish Halo 5 campaign and throw in some MP as well

Ended up playing 3 and 1/2 hours of GHLive, i went to bed that i litterally couldn't feel my left hand :lol

...still sucks that the in game volume is way too low, i need to crank it up to 50 on my sound system, where any other game gets way too loud at 25 :(((

Free shows that require you to complete challenges like three starring whatever song. If you beat the challenge ages ago it still count too.

You can also use Hero Cash to get in immediately.

Is it? I did the GH Classics one once, came back a few days later and had to 5* Limelight, Modern Day Cowboy and Don't Be Cruel. And two of those I used play tokens to play. Of course, I've also been experiencing the bug where I only get Day 1's prizes when I log in as well. I've missed out on a looooot of coins.

Do any of the other power ups have infinite use as well, or is it just the bomb? I'd at least hope that the 2x score does as well.

GnGLsdd.png

I saw a Kraken highway for some amount of coins. Anyone know what the other one is?

Is it? I did the GH Classics one once, came back a few days later and had to 5* Limelight, Modern Day Cowboy and Don't Be Cruel. And two of those I used play tokens to play. Of course, I've also been experiencing the bug where I only get Day 1's prizes when I log in as well. I've missed out on a looooot of coins.

Do any of the other power ups have infinite use as well, or is it just the bomb? I'd at least hope that the 2x score does as well.
Sadly only the bomb is free to use, everything else you have to pay coins to restock. It's real dumb.

deoee

Jup, the GHLive Syndrom is real...

"just gonna play one short set of 30 minutes"
Start gama
"Fuck it was 3 hours..."
AU7Amsc.gif

Edit:

I wish the bomb was NOT the default hero power.. it's by far the most annoying and lamest of the ones you can have. Why not make the standard 2x multi default ...? :-(

Kyonashi

Anyone have a comprehensive list of what is expected to be added soon?

From browsing the thread I can see:
  • GH3 channel
  • Weezer premium show
  • Rivals mode
  • 70 new GHTV songs

It's alright, same as Rock Band Blitz really. Prices don't seem too bad either, unless they increase. 240 for 10 Dial Downs is only two GHTV songs.
But at a certain point you're just trading coins for status (assuming powerups are helping you win.). I'd rather save my coins to buy upgrades.

The best thing about the bomb is activating it right at the end of the song; I like to pretend I'm setting my guitar on fire like Jimi Hendrix.

Looks like it's definitely the day one bonus we're getting. Got 600 coins when I logged in today. Getting skanked out of 1,200 coins every day!
Yeah I tried to watch for it last night and I was definitely not getting 1000+ coins.

I wonder if FSG is aware of this bug and has any plans on making good on this.

antitrop

I got the Trophy for logging into GHTV 10 days in a row and I've barely got shit for "login bonuses", haha.

It would be nice if they just dumped a shitload of coins on there, but they're not going to do that. I think the only day the login bonuses were working correctly was day 1.

j-wood

Is there a way to change how hammer/pull off notes light up? It is impossible to tell when those notes exist on a power up note. Dunno how they didn't catch that. The made them the same color...

sneaky77

Is there a way to change how hammer/pull off notes light up? It is impossible to tell when those notes exist on a power up note. Dunno how they didn't catch that. The made them the same color...
I guess technically the hammer on note has a glowing spot below it but yea its impossible to see

It's alright, same as Rock Band Blitz really. Prices don't seem too bad either, unless they increase. 240 for 10 Dial Downs is only two GHTV songs.

The difference with Blitz is that you get double points for new songs and coins are spent entirely on power ups, nothing else. And that's still before Rock Band World offering tons of coins for playing a few songs.

It's still a stupid system, but it's handled better in Blitz.

The difference with Blitz is that you get double points for new songs and coins are spent entirely on power ups, nothing else. And that's still before Rock Band World offering tons of coins for playing a few songs.

I had a lot more of a problem with Blitz than this. In this the power-ups could realistically pay for themselves in many cases. Buy 10 whatevers for 300 coins and they'll last two-plus songs which will earn you enough coins to buy 10 more. Plus daily log-in bonuses means that power-ups will be pretty easy to obtain once you've finished with the upgrades. Even with more expensive powers you'd probably be able to play a good few hours each day before coins even start to become an issue, if they ever do.

There will be "down time," for sure, but it seems there'll be a lot less here than there was in Blitz where coins were not nearly as easy to come by as you imply. That, and Blitz was a totally useless waste-of-time game without power-ups, whereas GHL is still fun to play whether you've got those perks or not - which helps.

FyreWulff

Blitz is interesting. A game that has F2P mechanics (powerups that cost coins per play), but no F2P purchases. It didn't even post a single thing to your FB wall after you linked it.

Top Bottom