• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

This arrives tomorrow.

2imaljb.jpg

Martin OM-18 Golden Era.

Puddles

Banned
Just bought one of these last night:

0b56f46fe104bba3881bfdb96b0d-1-3.jpg

The thing is amazing. It has a 9-volt powered acoustic simulator pickup built into the guitar, and when you play that together with the regular pickups, it's the best, fullest clean sound I've ever heard out of an electric. I was playing this at an open-mic/jam session last night, and I did a pretty mean blues jam that sounded great without any other instruments except a drummer.

The thing is also light as hell. It seriously weighs half of what my strat does.

agrajag

Banned
How much did you get it for, Puddles?

edit: trolling aside, Parkers are very nice guitars. Would love to get one some day.

Puddles

Banned
Got it for about $400 used. Well worth it. It retails for about $700, I think. Definitely a lower-end Parker though. Most of their lineup is in the several-thousands-of-dollars range.

I have a Parker Fly Deluxe. Those cost $2800.

They don't hold their value AT ALL. I got mine for $1050 used. They're nice guitars but you can't swap the pickups out in them and it isn't the best shape if you're a girl. Really light though.

2u6gqd4.jpg

agrajag

Banned
Pilgor said:
I've added a Fender P-Bass, an Xotic BB+, and a Hermida Zendrive since.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/adamrogo/photo-3.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/adamrogo/photo-1.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/adamrogo/photo-2.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/adamrogo/photo-4.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
drool

Hey, I was thinking of getting either an Ibanez RGR321EX or an RGA42 (hardtail metal machines). The first one mentioned is basswood with passive pickups, the latter is mahogany archtop with active pickups. Does anyone have any experience with either or can offer any general advice? I've never used active pickups before...

RGR321EX:

rgr3.jpg

rgr1.jpg

RGA42:

rga42bk_04.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
Hey, I was thinking of getting either an Ibanez RGR321EX or an RGA42 (hardtail metal machines). The first one mentioned is basswood with passive pickups, the latter is mahogany archtop with active pickups. Does anyone have any experience with either or can offer any general advice? I've never used active pickups before...

I installed active EMG pickups in my mahogany Ibanez S series, and I have passives in my mahogany Ibanez RG and I've also had a basswood RG with passives.

The mahogany + active combo gives a very thick tone, heaps of sustain, great definition for riffin and stuff but the full mahogany RG shape isn't exactly a 'light' guitar. For an RG shape I prefer the basswood as it means I can play longer for better. The active + basswood isn't my favourite combo, but the active + thin S body is a terrific combo.

Out of those two guitars, if it's your first guitar purchase I'd be tempted to go with the basswood + passive combo for a few reasons...

The guitar is lighter so you can play for longer and get better
The pickups don't require battery changes so you never get caught out with a dead guitar

On the other hand, if you already have another guitar that fits that bill then go with the mahogany + active combo and you'll get that fat metal tone with no effort.

Puddles

Banned
The weight of the guitar really makes a difference to you guys?

If it's getting tiring, just sit down and put it in your lap for awhile.

Pilgor

Yes, I have people over to play or record often.

Keep in mind that active pickups will sound the same in any guitar they are put in, barring scale length. Wood types will hardly matter when dealing with active pickups. They essentially are a normal pickup, with a tuned preamp to give a unique sound to that particular pickup, whereas a passive pickup will send the raw pickup signal straight to the amp, which is influenced by not only scale length, but also wood and construction. Of course every passive is different as well, as they too will vary based on magnet type and windings.

I have a set of EMG's in my Gibson Explorer (A big slab of mahogany) and it sounds no different than any other 24.75" scale guitar with EMG's.

That said, they do sound good for certain tones, though they are aimed at metal. That can be said for most actives.

I have passives in the rest of my guitars. I find a good passive pickup to have better dynamic range and clarity than any active I have tried, and they can be made to have about equal the output to an active.

Fusebox said:
I installed active EMG pickups in my mahogany Ibanez S series, and I have passives in my mahogany Ibanez RG and I've also had a basswood RG with passives.

The mahogany + active combo gives a very thick tone, heaps of sustain, great definition for riffin and stuff but the full mahogany RG shape isn't exactly a 'light' guitar. For an RG shape I prefer the basswood as it means I can play longer for better. The active + basswood isn't my favourite combo, but the active + thin S body is a terrific combo.

Out of those two guitars, if it's your first guitar purchase I'd be tempted to go with the basswood + passive combo for a few reasons...

The guitar is lighter so you can play for longer and get better
The pickups don't require battery changes so you never get caught out with a dead guitar

On the other hand, if you already have another guitar that fits that bill then go with the mahogany + active combo and you'll get that fat metal tone with no effort.

Thank you for the advice, I don't have an electric at the moment but I'm not a beginner...weight isn't really an issue for me as I'm a home player only, this also negates the battery dying issue. I'm still undecided though, reviews I've read on the RGA42 claim that the pickups are sterile and devoid of personality, I suppose they are easily swapped for some EMGs though.

BTW, I've owned a couple of Ibanez RGs and found the passive + basswood combo to be a bit trebly and shrill for my tastes, do you find that this is the case also? Although the best tone I ever got was when I had an '89 RG550 with PAF Pro pickups :D

Thanks again.

Dilly

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
Thank you for the advice, I don't have an electric at the moment but I'm not a beginner...weight isn't really an issue for me as I'm a home player only, this also negates the battery dying issue. I'm still undecided though, reviews I've read on the RGA42 claim that the pickups are sterile and devoid of personality, I suppose they are easily swapped for some EMGs though.

BTW, I've owned a couple of Ibanez RGs and found the passive + basswood combo to be a bit trebly and shrill for my tastes, do you find that this is the case also? Although the best tone I ever got was when I had an '89 RG550 with PAF Pro pickups :D

Thanks again.

So which one did you choose?

I narrowed down my choice to the same guitars as you mentioned. However, I don't intend to play metal on it, just rock (Queens of the stone age, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, that kind of stuff).

I already have a Squier strat so I want a guitar with a fixed bridge. Which one do you guys recommend? I suppose everything sounds better than a cheap Squier anyway.

Damaged

DieNgamers said:
I have one, too. The raw sound you get out of this thing is sooo great for heavy blues stuff!

Yep, really nice sounding pedal. Its a bit of an oddity tho as ones from different factorys / era's can sound very different. For example the old russian Big Muff I have sounds great on a Bass guitar for a nice subtle fuzz but doesnt sound as good on a regular guitar, but the American big muff I have sounds terrible with a bass no matter what setting :lol

Damaged said:
Yep, really nice sounding pedal. Its a bit of an oddity tho as ones from different factorys / era's can sound very different. For example the old russian Big Muff I have sounds great on a Bass guitar for a nice subtle fuzz but doesnt sound as good on a regular guitar, but the American big muff I have sounds terrible with a bass no matter what setting :lol
I haven't even tested mine with the bass because I still don't have a bass amp after owning a nice leftie squier for half a year now. :lol Do you have recommendations for a good but affordable bass amp ca 300€?

Damaged

DieNgamers said:
I haven't even tested mine with the bass because I still don't have a bass amp after owning a nice leftie squier for half a year now. :lol Do you have recommendations for a good but affordable bass amp ca 300€?

Been a while since ive looked at bass amps but I always used to like the Hartke Kickback range, nice simple and fairly versatile amp. Did them in a 12" and a 15", not sure what the price is but they always used to be about the £300-400 range.

Edit: looks like the range name has changed but this was the sort of thing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hartke-A100-100-Watt-Bass-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-/350235416162?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item518ba85662

BobDylan

So my brother came home today from his dads house and gave me a charvel guitar for free. apparently it once belonged to his friend but the guitar has been sitting at his house for over 6 years. I dont really know much about charvel guitars so I am hoping you guys could help me identify what the model is and if there is a way I can find out the year of it. Here it is below
DSCN0481.jpg

and while im here ill post a couple of my other guitars

fender dreadought that I got a little over a year ago. I love it

DSCN0482.jpg

and here is my electric epiphone SG that I got about 3 years ago

DSCN0483.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Puddles said:
The weight of the guitar really makes a difference to you guys?

If it's getting tiring, just sit down and put it in your lap for awhile.

Of course the weight makes a difference. Different weight/density = different tone for a start, even the weight distribution between the headstock and body makes a large impact on my playing style.

If it's getting tiring, just pick up a lighter guitar and keep playing.

BobDylan

Fusebox said:
Of course the weight makes a difference. Different weight/density = different tone for a start, even the weight distribution between the headstock and body makes a large impact on my playing style.

If it's getting tiring, just pick up a lighter guitar and keep playing.

I agree with you
the neck weight of my SG is a lot heavier than the charvel I got today. there is an obvious difference in the style.

owlbeak

GAF - I currently own an Epiphone/Gibson Les Paul from ~1998-99., complete with a hardshell case/furry lining haha. I am wanting to trade it in for an acoustic at some place like Guitar Center (my only option). How much do you think I'd get for that + a Fender Frontman 25R 12" Amp? Any estimates? And if so, I just want an acoustic that sounds halfway decent.

I recall saving all my money the first summer I had a job when I was 16 to buy this thing. I think the retail at the time was ~$900, and I'm sure it's not worth even close to that now. Maybe $200 at most.

Tips/Recommendations would be appreciated.

Formless

You guys have some nice gear.

Any products/tips on how to clean the guitar? I've got a string cleaning cloth but the body of my guitar is an arm-print magnet, and the neck is beginning to look very dirty. Anything specific I should use or is it ok to just wipe it off with a watered up cloth

J-Rzez

Formless said:
You guys have some nice gear.

Any products/tips on how to clean the guitar? I've got a string cleaning cloth but the body of my guitar is an arm-print magnet, and the neck is beginning to look very dirty. Anything specific I should use or is it ok to just wipe it off with a watered up cloth

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/

Their No 1 Carnauba wax is pretty good. I'm sure their other products are fine too. I won't use a wet cloth anymore, especially pending on the finish. Some of them require to be handled like an automobile's finish these days.

Fugu

thejagvs9.jpg

OLD picture, will post a new one later. The bridge pickup has since been swapped with a Seymour Duncan with a little more output. I absolutely love this guitar.

Fusebox

Banned
Random snaps...

Got myself another classic Iby for the collection. Mid-90's RG550, super wizard neck, original edge trem with an Evo at the bridge and a Paf Pro at the neck.

4813571983_3531731526.jpg

Also got the iRig adaptor and app for shreddin on the go:

irig.jpg

And I had a mate over for a jam the other day, took a snap of the pedal chain:

4814187940_4db4c4cc52_b.jpg

Medalion

Banned
fender_600_front.jpg

Not my picture, but I did just buy a Fender champion 600 tube amp. It's 5watts and is tubed, has a volume knob that goes from 1-12,, two output jacks one for low output, one for highoutput, and a speaker connector at the back. Pretty simplistic tube practice amp I would say. It's not the VOX one I wanted, but I figure they are about the same. I bought it around under $150 canadian before taxes.

Fusebox

Banned
I was keen to get one of those but when I tried it I found the cleans weren't clean enough and the crunch wasn't very pleasing to my ears. How does it sound paired with your Tele?

Medalion

Banned
Fusebox said:
I was keen to get one of those but when I tried it I found the cleans weren't clean enough and the crunch wasn't very pleasing to my ears. How does it sound paired with your Tele?
I play with a Fender Fat Strat, it so far, I cannot hear enough beneficial difference from my solid state amps vs this, but mainly because I haven't "cranked it" yet... I am playing it straight up to the amp with no pedals yet, but I may add a reverb pedal next, and I already have a compressor pedal too before I pass judgement for sure.

Fusebox

Banned
I can help with that question by getting off my fat arse and recording those Zoom clips I promised you about 6 months ago.

NGAMER9

whitehawk said:
Let me ask some guitar players in here a question.
I've owned multiple Zoom pedals, they are fantastic, built super sturdy and they have some nice effects. The interface takes a while to get used to though, but once you do it's a fantastic pedal.

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah I've been leaning towards the Zoom for a while, but my cheap self won't let me buy it without trying it :lol I've rented the Boss, but I can't find any place in Toronto that has a Zoom available.
Fusebox said:
I can help with that question by getting off my fat arse and recording those Zoom clips I promised you about 6 months ago.
lol that would be cool :lol

Medalion

Banned
whitehawk said:
Yeah I've been leaning towards the Zoom for a while, but my cheap self won't let me buy it without trying it :lol I've rented the Boss, but I can't find any place in Toronto that has a Zoom available.lol that would be cool :lol
Whenever I am questioning buying new music equipment but too lazy to try in the music store, I just do research on youtube at various videos... usually I am just as confused if not moreso afterwards, but it's entertaining :lol

whitehawk

Banned
Medalion said:
Whenever I am questioning buying new music equipment but too lazy to try in the music store, I just do research on youtube at various videos... usually I am just as confused if not moreso afterwards, but it's entertaining :lol
This is exactly me. Some youtube videos show off some amazings sounds, while others are not so impressive. I don't know which ones to trust. :lol

If it sounds anything like this when I record it, It's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtTfkDNewYg

Fugu said:
I plan for this to be my next guitar. I haven't decided if I like the signature model or the generic one better, though.

I think the J Mascis Jazzies are discontinued. My first mod to the guitar is to replace the bridge pick-up with a wide range humbucker Jazzmaster --> Jazzblaster :D

Top Bottom