• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Breaker - Unofficial Thread / Impression Thread - Gunpla fans unite!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
JQ5hEcS.png

Hey there folks. Decided to make an "unofficial" OT / Impression thread for the newly release Gundam Breaker game on the PS3.

Will be updating this thread as I go along here, but feel free to ask any general questions in the mean time as I work on editing this initial post.

What Is Gundam Breaker?
Its a Gundam Frankenstein simulator basically. Most of the excitement / amusement comes out of collecting parts / weapons and making your own freakshow of a mobile suit.

The title is a single / 4 player co-op action game, where you take control of some of the more famous Mobile Suits from the Gundam universe. The catch is with this title you are controlling a plastic model and getting new mobile suits / weapons consists of capturing parts which are dropped at random when you defeat enemies during in game missions.

New items / full mobile suit kits can also be purchased from the in game store when you advance in the single player story.

Dont kill me if this is incorrect, but checking a JP wiki it seems like there are currently 134 confirmed Mobile Suits in the game.
http://gb-wiki.net/mobil/list

BASIC GAMEPLAY
The game is separated into 2 categories, Single player which initially gives the player a run through the basics with a tutorial mission. From there you progress through the various missions which you go at solo or with AI partners. Objectives can vary from destroy all enemies / Objectives, Defend a point, Boss Battle etc. In each of the stages it seems that there is a rare part to be obtained and will be displayed within the mission briefing and marked with a ??? until its found by the player.

The combat in this game is mainly melee based as the default attack button is linked to 2 different melee attacks based on the weapon equipped. Ranged weapon attacks can be performed with holding down the L1 button + Square or Triangle. Depending on your optional item equipped you may also have ranged or melee attacks.

The type of attacks performed varies depending on the type of weapon equipped or parts. Also it seems the more you use a certain weapon type you will unlock different EX Skills for it. EX Skills are basically special attacks / actions which can help assist in combat or supportive roles such as party healing.

How Does Customization Work?
Customization in this game for the most part is fairly straight forward. You play through missions gain Parts / Money and EXP for your OS level which is required to equip stronger parts / weapons. Building parts after missions in the customization menu raises your Builder Level which is required for building stronger parts / weapons.

*Note about Builder Level - It only seems to go up when you build a new part. So building the same parts over and over again does not raise the EXP bar.

Your mobile suit is made up of the basic parts below.
  • Head
  • Body
  • Arms
  • Legs
  • Backpack (Some have abilities that can be equipped in the Options setting)
  • Shield
  • Weapon (Melee)
  • Weapon (Ranged)
  • Options (Defensive / Offensive items - Limited in use)
  • EX-Acts (Defensive / Offensive skills - Recharge over time)
  • Modules (Items that boost your units stats)

These parts / weapons come with a 10 star ranking. 0 being the lowest and 10 the highest. The higher the rating the better the stats of the said parts. You can tell the general rarity of said parts by the color of the parts kit acquired. (Am not exactly sure how the rating color scheme goes yet)

Capacity is the numerical rating which governs what you are able to equip. Each part / weapon has a "equip cost" and if your unit goes over capacity you are unable to equip said part / weapon. Capacity maximum changes also depending on the parts equipped. Generally higher ranking parts allow for higher capacity rating.

Refer to the image below for a general idea of what the stats mean in your customization menu.

1. Units Life Points
  2. Kinetic Damage Defense (Bullet, Shell, Missile etc.)
  3. Beam Damage Defense
  4. Shield Durability (Will be destroyed for mission duration if goes over threshold)
  5. Close Range Attack Power
  6. Ranged Attack Power
  7. Capacity
  8. Equip Cost (Of selected part in the customization menu)
  9. OS Level (Stronger Parts / Weapons require a higher OS level.)

In the customization menu you can also color each equipped part any way you want. Usually parts are broken down into 4 or less color sections. Custom colors can be loaded / saved in free slots within the coloring menu. Besides the color there are also "Patterns" which can be purchased at the player shop. The patterns available so far are as follows.

Splinter Camouflage
Digital Camouflage
Military Camouflage (Basically Woodland Pattern)

There are default decals that can be switched on or off, which basically adds a little extra detail, such as unit number / emblem etc. But these are pre-made and MS specific so its not something you can custom make.

Besides the coloring you also have extra visual settings such as, Gloss, Air Brush, Chipping, Grime, Grime on feet / legs, which can be adjusted by sliders.

DEFAULT CONTROLS
0x10TuL.png

SCREENSHOTS
Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_001.jpg
Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_002.jpg

Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_005.jpg
Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_006.jpg

Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_007.jpg
Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_046.jpg

Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_045.jpg
Gundam-Breaker_Fami-Shot_01-04_047.jpg

VIDEOS
Promo Video (Japanese)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojvqHUqORg

BETA Footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXedEP-1WNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcSk8DQ14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsFQ342s2kw

Customization Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VpDynVruLg8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xaLg4Qqxk

USER CREATIONS
3fTBnW4.png
XzeVcw2.png
fS93s3W.png
Zc0zs5x.png
7tGkI1s.png
0YYdyAF.png
0YYdyAF.png
F2dwrfb.png
gQmjxWs.png
7G2Hcic.png
b7A7zxg.png
8hh0Q0L.png
AxJHs1V.png
V3IOuTW.png
3PJ5cSl.png
IlWJbtR.png
4uCLhk9.png
l64PUmS.png
fYhZmox.png
aA5Ylvf.png
6L6G4xM.png
udYvm5M.png

Beth Cyra

Awesome thread. I've been meaning to look into the game, probably won't buy it until it hits BEST price. Is Wing Gundam Ver Ka selectable?

Parakeetman

Awesome thread. I've been meaning to look into the game, probably won't buy it until it hits BEST price. Is Wing Gundam Ver Ka selectable?

Ive seen the Wing Gundam in the game. Its the Wing Zero is what I ran into for one of the battles.

Am still pretty early in the game itself. Will also try to update the thread with whatever info I can find about exisiting MSes in the game from Japanese Wikis.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'll gladly hear the impressions for the full version.
Was planning on getting it, but the beta was pretty boring. Supposedly a lot was fixed for the full version, but reading the Amazon.jp reviews which stated that it's a boring game which is fun only if you like collecting mech parts, doesn't have that many Gundam models in it etc. made me go with Toukiden instead.

Parakeetman

I'll gladly hear the impressions for the full version.
Was planning on getting it, but the beta was pretty boring. Supposedly a lot was fixed for the full version, but reading the Amazon.jp reviews which stated that it's a boring game which is fun only if you like collecting mech parts, doesn't have that many Gundam models in it etc. made me go with Toukiden instead.

Yeah for the most part the combat can be pretty easy. Its interesting since this game focuses a lot more on melee combat, where ranged takes a bit of a backseat as how its the secondary attack mode in the game.

Basically as you said its a parts collecting game and how you progress in the story. A bit of a letdown that you cant customize your units stats wise with ACE points similar to the Gundam Battle Chronicle game on the PSP. You really do need to hunt down better parts / weapons to be able to progress as the enemies do get stronger and the starting items dont really hold up as well against them.

Though there are different ranks for the same part which is displayed by the stars over the parts / weapons. Higher the stars the better the stats. Still though wish there was more customization as with stats points to further boost functionality of your own unit.

As simplistic as it is, as one who used to build gundam models and do my own custom ones in the past really am finding this highly amusing. For those who are looking for more deep combat might get turned off to it. While it appears to be a bit of a button masher, there is some skill involved with surviving esp with the later stages and having to get used to blocking, dodging and making sure you keep the enemy in a combo and off from counter attacking you. Part of that plays into what you have equipped as the skills can change depending on parts / weapons used.

Am sure it will be pretty fun playing with others though!

For me am just amusing myself making some god tier GM as thats my favorite mobile suit series in the universe lol

Parakeetman

The limited roster is an impediment.

One of the more amusing comments on amazon was the step dodge is OP. Which basically hes right. Since you can pretty much dodge your way through a ton of stuff since it seems to grant limited invincibility during the animation. Also your shield defense goes active if you have one on also and are hit during the vulnerable frames. So really does make things a lot easier with that.

Also a personal concern and the concern of a lot of other folks is that BanNam is going to flood this game with DLC for other units. Since they are one of Japans worst companies for "greedy" DLC practices. The drop rate up item DLC from launch already has people concerned as is.

Still thought with all that aside am enjoying the game for what it is. Since even if it feels like they designed it to be easier than other Gundam titles, like the PSP ones for example its still a pretty good action game. Its more amusing if you limit yourself, rather than trying to go all out with the most powerful stuff. At least thats what Im doing currently haha

Wubby

I'm interested but no way am I paying full price for this one (¥7980). Reviews on Amazon.jp look like it's pretty meh. I'll wait till I can pick it up for ¥2000 or it's free on Japan PS+.

Parakeetman

I'm interested but no way am I paying full price for this one (¥7980). Reviews on Amazon.jp look like it's pretty meh. I'll wait till I can pick it up for ¥2000 or it's free on Japan PS+.

Id take it with a grain of salt. Since amazon reviews is also infamous for 2ch trolls going apeshit on. The game itself isnt bad, its not like its a buggy mess anyways. So I think its just more folks had weird expectations about the game more than anything else.

Also people need to stop quoting the suggested retail prices, since rarely the game actually goes for those. Unless its a store that wants to shutter itself. Game is generally going for around 6500.

Laughing so hard at that miniskirted-with-heels Gundam

I think the name on the official developers page where the users uploads was posted went along the lines of "Sexy Leg Gundam" or something. Let me see if I can find the actual name, hang on. Damn it got pushed off the page. The display goes only back 10 pages and if anything gets pushed off past that its gone. Found a couple of other amusing ones though!

ucsAlPk.png
vXVwmjG.png
qXm8SVZ.png
qs0LGWf.png
m2Ffz1M.png
dNYhHX9.png
XTbRuRU.png
4Cm1nG6.png
ONeoS6b.png

Was laughing my ass off at the first one on the left of the last row.

The images am getting them from here.
http://pgdp.channel.or.jp/breaker_top.php
Though you need to register an account before it lets you look past the first page in the upload gallery.

That's funny. I was out of town for the few days this thread was actually active. Been playing the game for an hour or so a day since it came out. Really enjoying it.

Parakeetman

Its by far not a bad game at all. Interesting concept and the gameplay mechanics work. I need to look at the 攻略 sites again since by now would imagine they have an accurate count of how many MSes / parts are in the game.

One thing I did find interesting was how they made the combat focus more on melee attacks than ranged. Where most other gundam games its been the other way around. Though the ranged skills are pretty cool, for the most part its about getting in close and doing the combos to pull off the big damage, then finishing it off with a ranged skill.

What always drives me crazy with the special units is trying to kill them before they can pull in their lost parts. That way I get more potential drops per each part disconnected after defeating said target.

Parakeetman

skip leg day?

I should log back into the site and see what other monstrosities have popped up lol

*downloaded a bunch of new creation pics so will put them up here in a bit. Need to re-sort through them and then UL it to imgur.

Wow, look at this fun Gundam game that will never make it overseas. :(

As soon as I saw the thread title, I ached, "Well, this'll never leave Asia." Game sounds neat. Would love to make my own crazy robot with cool colors and junk. Yeah, I could import it, but man, those import prices can be deadly.

:|

Parakeetman

As soon as I saw the thread title, I ached, "Well, this'll never leave Asia." Game sounds neat. Would love to make my own crazy robot with cool colors and junk. Yeah, I could import it, but man, those import prices can be deadly.

:|

On amazon japan its already dropped down to around 5,000 JPY. The shipping part on the other hand Id imagine is the expensive bit depending on ones location.

*moar picture time
vwYmVbI.png
w1ls9bw.png
pro3uoc.png
92o5ZsY.png
A8HNyWP.png
JqK1Zdh.png
UwZMGVg.png
tdxiKdY.png
kGjhX4F.png
vGLCecx.png
SDORQXx.png
bglPdRq.png
hbXipyW.png
KUGXR4j.png

The game reminds me of a basic Phantasy Star Online with kitbashing, to be honest.

I'm at level 28 with 62/70 missions complete. Should wrap it up in the next day or two and then I'll be waiting for the free update that's in the work.s

meppi

Been playing this game non-stop for the past 5 days now.
Really loving it. Especially now that I found a setup that is really clicking with me.
At first I always went with a beam saber, but now I've been playing with a two handed sword. Guess it the samurai like moveset that is really up my alley.
Got a good arms combo that gets me lock-on missiles as an option. (Jim III GUNDAM ZZ)
As well as Spectral Shot, "Dead End Buster" for a big vertical swords slash that does massive damage and Armor Repair 3 for EX-Acts.

The game was pretty fun from the start, but I have to say once you hit the level 30 stages and up, it becomes really crazy and an utter joy to play. :D
So much mayhem! So far this is my GOTY, which is something I certainly wasn't expecting.
To bad we'll probably never see a western release as it would be a lot easier in English, especially for the more complicated settings and combinations which I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on. At least the more nuanced stuff.
Not to mention spending 5 seconds reading what everything is called instead of getting it on first glimpse. But oh well. I'm just happy I was able to play this game. :)

From Gematsu:

Gundam Breaker will launch for PS Vita in Japan on October 31 for 6,980 yen, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

The magazine confirms new Mobile Suits for the PS Vita version, including: Turn A Gundam, ZZ Gundam, Gundam X, Dreissen, Destiny Gundam, and Crossbone Gundam X-1.

On the same day the PS Vita version is released, the already launched PlayStation 3 version will receive a free, large scale update.

The long rumored update for the PS3 version will probably add the mobile suits and new missions.

The impression almost makes me think Custom Robo: Gundam Style.

Almost.

Nope. Basic gameplay of Phantasy Star Online. Run around attack enemies (normal and strong attacks, both ranged and melee) with three other players while collecting loot. Go from area to area until you take on the boss. Once you're done with the mission, you can modify your mobile suit with the parts you acquired. Rinse and repeat.

Ultratech

Nope. Basic gameplay of Phantasy Star Online. Run around attack enemies (normal and strong attacks, both ranged and melee) with three other players while collecting loot. Go from area to area until you take on the boss. Once you're done with the mission, you can modify your mobile suit with the parts you acquired. Rinse and repeat.

Welp, that sounds good too!

Parakeetman

I am sooo going to make my ultimate version of Zaku!

HYPEEEEEEE

Yep the game indeed is good for doing stuff like that.

Though was a little let down that it didnt keep mechanics from the gundam PSP games, where you could customize the stats of your MSes. Making favorites more useful instead of having to constantly move up to the next better parts set for more HP / DEF and such.

Parakeetman

Nice!

VITA version is also available for sale too from today for those who were holding out for the handheld!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This ain't coming to the west, right? :(
I need to get around learning moonrune.

Parakeetman

The PS3 version got all the new content that the Vita version has. I got Crossbone's cloak last night.

Oh nice! Man I need to get back in the action, but am currently playing like 3 other games at once. lol

Was almost tempted to double dip for the downloadable version on the VITA too.

This ain't coming to the west, right? :(
I need to get around learning moonrune.

You should assume that the only Gundam titles that we'll see in the West are Musou games. Everything else is stuck in Japan, and you'd be fine playing Gundam Breaker right now.

mujun

I really love this game. I'm at about level 55 at the moment.

It does get a bit too grindy and hard, though, for my tastes anyway.

You don't really get much in the way of good parts from about level 40 or so but the enemies/stages keep getting tougher and tougher.

The combat feels really nice and fluid. My only gripe is the lock on and how it makes getting around difficult at times. I know I can switch it off but in the heat of battle it can be tough.

Parakeetman

I really love this game. I'm at about level 55 at the moment.

It does get a bit too grindy and hard, though, for my tastes anyway.

You don't really get much in the way of good parts from about level 40 or so but the enemies/stages keep getting tougher and tougher.

The combat feels really nice and fluid. My only gripe is the lock on and how it makes getting around difficult at times. I know I can switch it off but in the heat of battle it can be tough.

I always was obsessed with knocking off as many parts from a boss as possible, then killing it before it has the chance to put them back on. Get a lot more parts that way!

I should go sell my PS3 version and get the Vita DL one instead, since got my Vita TV now dont really need the PS3 disc version anymore.

mujun

I always was obsessed with knocking off as many parts from a boss as possible, then killing it before it has the chance to put them back on. Get a lot more parts that way!

I should go sell my PS3 version and get the Vita DL one instead, since got my Vita TV now dont really need the PS3 disc version anymore.

I didn't realize you can do that. I might find a boss in an earlier level and practice. No way I can do it in the higher levels as I find it hard enough just to beat them.

Thanks for the tip!

But then.. no online on the Vita version?

Thats ok its not like I usually play online anyways lol.

With how many Gundam fans GAF has am surprised not more folks bought the game though.

Was gonna grab it for my Vita since I've been on that more lately. Seriously though, no online?

Hopefully it'd pick up more now with Gundam Build Fighters out.

Parakeetman

Was gonna grab it for my Vita since I've been on that more lately. Seriously though, no online?

Am not sure exactly? Ill go look at the HP now and edit this post.

Ok the HP is pretty useless. Ok nevermind what I said previously. A more recent siliconera article from October says that there is no online play for the Vita unfortunately. Seriously what the hell is it with all these great Vita games not having Online play? The GungHo guys managed to do it with Ragnarok Odyssey Ace so dont see why the others cant.

Sony really needs to get on the devs about adding a proper online feature to the games. Since AdHoc party is buggy as fuck from what I keep hearing. I still remember when I tried to use it, it literally didnt work. Forgot what game it was for, but this was when the thing first came out.

You know if they wanted folks to double dip since it supports local wifi cross play and all that, plus how save data can go back and forth they should have dropped the price of the damned game a bit. Since its pretty high on the Vita. Where the PS3 one has dropped to the mid 3000 range. Amazon has it for 3500 around there. So wtf Bandai.

I dont even know where my PS3 version went now that I think about it. Must have stuck it in a box with a bunch of my other packed up stuff. D:

Yeah.. I was wrong.
Vita DOES have online.
It has single player, local ad-hoc, online and options to transfer your save to the cloud.

The cloud stuff particularly works wonderfully.
I even played an online session on Vita the other night, works great too.

What a game.. loving it, played the other night until my battery ran out :)

Top Bottom