• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgious

Banned
Turn A is my favorite, but I suppose that's still the tail end of the '90s. Unicorn is pretty good.

Awesome, thanks. And yes, I totally forgot about the OP. It's absolutely incredible

I saw you ask this in IRC, but I didn't remember to respond.

The MS IGLOO OVAs are pretty solid, if you can put up with the CG. Unicorn is pretty well animated, but it isn't done and won't be for quite some time. Everything else in that time frame has a really mixed reception, and I don't really know enough about those shows to comment on them.

Ah never heard of some of those..thanks for the tip. I'll get looking into the first few episodes

But what's the point of watching it if season 2 is bad (considering they leave a lot of question at the end of S1)?

Anyways, my opinion is to start with the original (or the 3 movie compilation if you want to save time) to get a good idea on the universe. After that watch 8th ms team, G Gundam and Turn A.

There are movie compilations of the original Gundam?

Georgious

Banned
On the 3rd episode of 08th MS Team now, and it's much more tame than Gundam Wing. Seems like its strictly from the Ensign's point of view, and the mobile suits are very remedial/low powered, essentially walking tanks.

It's only 12 episodes long so I'll definitely stick it out, but it seems very low key for sure.

I recall enjoying the change of pace in 08th MS Team, even if it kinda proved how impractical mobile suits would be as real combat weapons.

The series also has my favorite fight sequence out of all the Gundam series I've seen.

Georgious

Banned
I recall enjoying the change of pace in 08th MS Team, even if it kinda proved how impractical mobile suits would be as real combat weapons.

The series also has my favorite fight sequence out of all the Gundam series I've seen.

I'm up to ep 5 and I'm losing steam fast. I'm excited for this scene you speak of though

Georgious

Banned
08th MS Team is awesome. Turn in your Gundam-card now.

I wanted to like it, but I'm just not enjoying the pace, the characters, or even the action and Gundam design at all. If it had 2/3 of those things I'd still be good, but I'm really having a hard time understanding the love for 08th. Granted I've only watched the first 4 episodes. Why do you like it so much?

Seed is next whenever I finish 08th

Enron

Banned
I wanted to like it, but I'm just not enjoying the pace, the characters, or even the action and Gundam design at all. If it had 2/3 of those things I'd still be good, but I'm really having a hard time understanding the love for 08th. Granted I've only watched the first 4 episodes. Why do you like it so much?

boothisman.gif

I don't know if you should watch Seed. I watched it for the first time last month and came away disappointed. Well, actually, Seed was pretty good, but Seed Destiny wasn't. Too many characters that you just plain hate. Some of their mindsets make no sense and tick you off. Way too many recycled frames. And a rushed ending that even a bonus episode couldn't fix. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I really can't say that I hate Destiny, because it did manage to keep me interested and in suspense, but when it was over, I was a little disappointed with how the final 10ish episodes played out. I'd recommend watching 00, but you're welcome to check out Seed at your own risk.

Also, I really need to see 8th MS and Wing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
- Characters all have their quirks, but none of them are too exaggerated in typical anime fashion.
- No Newtypes taking out 100 suits by themselves in prototype gundams.
- A protagonist that isn't a pacifistic little twerp.
- Cute love story and good use of drama.
- People generally being manly.

Georgious

Banned
- Characters all have their quirks, but none of them are too exaggerated in typical anime fashion.
- A protagonist that isn't a pacifistic little twerp.
- Cute love story and good use of drama.
- People generally being manly.

Those are some good reasons - but the biggest con for me is

That is my FAVORITE thing in Gundam (having only seen Wing thus far) and coupled with the awesome suit designs and constant upgrading, was pretty much the only reason I was really into the series.

Haha yeah this has been said, but not a single person explained why 08th has any love (except for that one fight that I'm now looking forward to)

08th MS Team's quality is a little exaggerated, but a big part of the appeal (for me at least) is that it shows the suits and weaponry used in a more realistic light; they're shown to be more like proper vehicles than giant suits of armor. That aspect of it, combined with the (generally) older cast and its more restrained depiction of war makes it one of my faves. If none of those things are really doing it for you, then the fight scene some posters mentioned might not be worth it for you either.

I didn't know we we counting shows during the '90s; I though "post-'90s" meant 2000-now, actually. In that case, you might want to check out G Gundam (with its crazy-ass action) or Gundam X (which was handled by some of the same showrunners as Wing).

And not to be a buzzkill or anything, but there's a thread in OT for the franchise in general where you can shoot the breeze about all this stuff. It's probably a better place to discuss the shows outright.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I didn't know 08 was that popular. It's the only Gundam series I've bothered to watch.

More of a
Macross
fan.

Georgious

Banned
08th MS Team's quality is a little exaggerated, but a big part of the appeal (for me at least) is that it shows the suits and weaponry used in a more realistic light; they're shown to be more like proper vehicles than giant suits of armor. That aspect of it, combined with the (generally) older cast and its more restrained depiction of war makes it one of my faves. If none of those things are really doing it for you, then the fight scene some posters mentioned might not be worth it for you either.

I didn't know we we counting shows during the '90s; I though "post-'90s" meant 2000-now, actually. In that case, you might want to check out G Gundam (with its crazy-ass action) or Gundam X (which was handled by some of the same showrunners as Wing).

And not to be a buzzkill or anything, but there's a thread in OT for the franchise in general where you can shoot the breeze about all this stuff. It's probably a better place to discuss the shows outright.

Awesome - much appreciated analysis. I think you hit the nail on the head about 08th, and unfortunately that wasn't really what I was looking for. I'll 100% check out G Gundam and X!

I didn't know 08 was that popular. It's the only Gundam series I've bothered to watch.

More of a
Macross
fan.

Same here, actually, but sometimes a Newtype here and there is fine too

So, what's the deal with the OG Victory suit being a 1000 point unit? Is that a reference to it practically being made of ceramic in the show?

And is there any in game footage of Full Boost out yet? I heard that there were loke tests going on, but Namco Bandai can be weird about recording stuff like that.

I really don't care for Wing. I like a lot of the non-UC shows, but I'm a Universal Century fan. 08th MS Team is nice in that it's not full of Newtypes and depicts things in a more "realistic" fashion, if you can call a show about giant humanoid robots fighting each other "realistic."

No shame in loving Macross. I love it, even found Frontier to be a lot of fun.

NEO0MJ

So, what's the deal with the OG Victory suit being a 1000 point unit? Is that a reference to it practically being made of ceramic in the show?

Don't know about the show, but I do know it was a 1000 unit in GVG Next. And besides, Unit cost dosen't really have to do much with how strong the Unit is in the show.

MechaX

The original Victory was actually pretty crappy in the actual show. It pretty much gets outclassed like immediately (it takes like 5 to 7 episodes for the Zaku II equivalent of the series to give Uso a pretty big thrashing) and it being more of a limited production suit as opposed to super powerful prototype didn't help things.

Shouta

Well, it's not all that strong of a unit for one thing and Usso shoots the parts as an attack int he show as I recall so yeah, kinda expendable.

Jubern

I don't know if you should watch Seed. I watched it for the first time last month and came away disappointed. Well, actually, Seed was pretty good, but Seed Destiny wasn't. Too many characters that you just plain hate. Some of their mindsets make no sense and tick you off. Way too many recycled frames. And a rushed ending that even a bonus episode couldn't fix. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I really can't say that I hate Destiny, because it did manage to keep me interested and in suspense, but when it was over, I was a little disappointed with how the final 10ish episodes played out. I'd recommend watching 00, but you're welcome to check out Seed at your own risk.

Also, I really need to see 8th MS and Wing.

Gotcha, will keep this in mind if I ever make it to seed.)

I really don't know about skipping Seed because of Destiny...
Despite the
horrible
flaws of the sequel, Seed by itself is really good. I know a lot of people who used it a starting point (me included).

I really don't know about skipping Seed because of Destiny...
Despite the
horrible
flaws of the sequel, Seed by itself is really good. I know a lot of people who used it a starting point (me included).
I would take very good with a rather large hill of salt. Even if it's not as bad as it's successor it is still a deeply flawed series. Definitely best to leave it as one of the few last things you might consider watching. And even then I would say don't waste your time when you could be reading the Astray manga or doing something else entirely.

I haven't actually read the Astray manga but any time it is mentioned it's always in context of Mobil Suits doing kung fu, ridiculous mobile suit variants and all kinds of shounen nosense.

And it's not like there is anything worthwhile to know about the SEED universe other than space whales.

Jubern

That's actually something I totally disagree with. The SEED universe is interesting IMO, and I think that while it's a travesty that it eventually got boiled down to Kira&co antics, its background is more interesting that a lot of other AUs. Rewatching the series and reading the booklets that came with the DVDs gives a lot of nice info, and get you to wonder how they eventually managed to screw up all of that work...
Morosawa? Moneyhats? Both?

Astray is precisely a nice part of that background and goes over some interesting bits (Orb, George Glenn, some Earth Federation shenanigans...), but reading it without watching SEED first (or along) would be a total waste.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Good games Pon and everyone else. Don't listen to the lies being spread about my Sazabi > my Nu.

Georgious

Banned
I promise I'll get in the IRC channel more one I figure out which suits I like to use and get into at least the 4th tier of Mission Mode. I'm LOVING some of those insane Gundam X suits...very unique.

Edit: Finally introduced to the infamous Gouf Custom in 08th. I actually got excited for the first time in this entire series.

Georgious

Banned
I really need to set up a jap PSN account. I feel like I am missing out on all these DLC suits! >.<

For $10 a suit...it's a bit rough. There are already 60 very unique suits on the disk, so I think I'm going to stay away from than yen conversion rate.

Edit: Just finished 08th. I'm sorry, but that was really atrocious. The end of the series actually made me laugh:
Explosion -- 2 seconds later -- Narration: "the war ended right after" - CREDITS
Also, the extra 12th episode was absolutely inconsequential. Almost a childrens cartoon in relation to the rest of the series.

In retrospect the realism of the Gundam in actual wartime was kind of interesting, but definitely not what I was looking for.

Onto the next! G Gundam in full effect in between Extreme VS Missions :)

Hagi

Decided to drop my Vita preorder and get this instead. Can't wait to rock some F-91, should hopefully have it by tuesday.

Decided to drop my Vita preorder and get this instead. Can't wait to rock some F-91, should hopefully have it by tuesday.

Excellent choice! Definitely hit up the IRC (Espernet #gafgundam) and drop your name in the PSN list in the OP. We pretty much play daily so there's always games going on with gaf.

Can't wait to have you on board!

Come back and play with us already! We miss you. =(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Don't listen to the lies being spread about my Sazabi > my Nu.

ooa5Q.jpg

MechaX

Well that was fun messing around with different suits yesterday. Really taking a liking to HA and Gundam. =)

Thinking about HA and missile spam, I do kinda wish that a Valkyrie fighter was playable in this game for some reason, just so I could spam the entire screen with missiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom