• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gungnir |OT| The War to End All Wars

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hey, he is buying the games! In this generation that's a great thing!

IIRC Frequency is a girl (correct me if I'm wrong)...

That said, didn't realize this was coming out so soon, I always pegged it as a July release for some reason. Another game to get before it becomes rare.

M-PG71C

So, lets be real. What is the likelihood of this becoming rare? I want to pick it up but a little later, however I don't need this going OOP and I want to own a physical version so PSN is out.

johnsmith

remember me
So, lets be real. What is the likelihood of this becoming rare? I want to pick it up but a little later, however I don't need this going OOP and I want to own a physical version so PSN is out.
You can easily find all the other dept heaven games on psp used for less than $10, so I really doubt this will be rare. And in the off chance it is, there will probably be a reprint.

Rarutos

Amazon just charged me, and my status says they're shipping soon. I really shouldn't have gotten this because I don't have a lot of money nowadays but I can't say no to new PSP RPGs! ;_;

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Definitely looking forward to this, Shinichi Ito's Dept. Heaven episodes have been great so far.

7threst

Although I am hyped because of this being a Sting game, I have no idea what to expect. I hope is just a pleasant surprise as Knights in the Nightmare was. The screens really remind me of KitN, chaotic and weird, but attractive at the same time.

I know next to nothing about this particular title, but Riviera, Yggdra Union and Knights in the Nightmare are all among my favorite portable games ever, so I am in. Amazon is shipping mine sometime this week.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Fooled? Don't you mean 'schooled'? Sting games are awesome! :)

It seems there's a fanbase for these games, but I tried several of them (Baroque, Riviera, Evolution, Knights in the Nightmare, Yggdra Union) and I found them all to be some of the worst games I ever played. I consider "Sting" a big warning label now.

gunstarhero

Loved Yggdra Union.

Purchased Knights into Nightmare...and im just not "getting it". Every time I wrapped my head around it, I run into a game-breaker that resets my whole understanding of the game. Frustrating.

Because of that, I'm on the fence right now with Gundnir... I love SRPGs like Tactics Ogre (my favorite PSP game of all time), FF Tactics, Shining Force, etc - but I don't want another "Niightmare" situation. :(

Convince me. :)

IIRC Frequency is a girl (correct me if I'm wrong)...

That said, didn't realize this was coming out so soon, I always pegged it as a July release for some reason. Another game to get before it becomes rare.

OH. If that's the case, many appologies!

I fucking HATE sting games. Those guys make systems just way too complicated.

I'm testing this out, although it seems they work, which is the sign that a system is not "too complicated".

7threst

It seems there's a fanbase for these games, but I tried several of them (Baroque, Riviera, Evolution, Knights in the Nightmare, Yggdra Union) and I found them all to be some of the worst games I ever played. I consider "Sting" a big warning label now.

Yeah, too each their own of course. For me, these games together with the Megaten games are my most favourite within the RPG genre. But I can see that it is really a 'hate it or love it' kind of thing :)

B.K.

I just picked up my copy from Gamestop. I didn't think I was ever going to get it. The guy working said they only got two copies of it and he couldn't find my copy that I preordered months ago. He started to give me the gutted display copy and I said I didn't want it. I wanted my sealed copy I preordered. He looked for about ten minutes and finally found it. I probably came off as a bit of an asshole, but I don't care. The whole reason I preordered was so I could get a new, sealed copy. If he couldn't find it, I was just going to tell him to cancel my order and give me my money back.

7threst

I just picked up my copy from Gamestop. I didn't think I was ever going to get it. The guy working said they only got two copies of it and he couldn't find my copy that I preordered months ago. He started to give me the gutted display copy and I said I didn't want it. I wanted my sealed copy I preordered. He looked for about ten minutes and finally found it. I probably came off as a bit of an asshole, but I don't care. The whole reason I preordered was so I could get a new, sealed copy. If he couldn't find it, I was just going to tell him to cancel my order and give me my money back.

What? You're not an asshole! You pre-ordered the game and then he wanted to give you a display copy. Fuck that shit, you had every right to be angry.

Ah hell, didn't realize this was out. I want to play it, but using my PSP is always such a chore and remotejoy is a pain in the ass that just stops working all the time :/

Kaibutsu

Ah that sucks, was wondering why it didn't show up when i searched on the vita. I went ahead and just ordered a physical copy. The reason I was going to go digital was to play on the vita and I guess I could just buy a digital copy now and play it on my psp until it's compatible with the vita but I really rather have a physical copy with the book & case.

Eusis

I thought I would've been pushing too hard ragging on SCEA over and over about their pitiful PSP support on Vita... but if I had continued to sound like a broken record in here I would've probably warned someone away. :/

Keep this in mind: carefully read the wording of the press releases! Or just try to buy all future PSP games directly on the Vita, because if it's not going to work there then they really screwed up.

Ah that sucks, was wondering why it didn't show up when i searched on the vita. I went ahead and just ordered a physical copy. The reason I was going to go digital was to play on the vita and I guess I could just buy a digital copy now and play it on my psp until it's compatible with the vita but I really rather have a physical copy with the book & case.
I've had similar thoughts. When I was more optimistic about support I wanted to stop getting physical copies of games that'll be on PSN in favor of digital ones, but Hakuoki set off alarm bells, along with the fact they took forever to ADD more PSP games (while ignoring the one that came out with the Vita's early launch). If this is what I can expect I'll probably stick with physical copies anyway, at the least I'll do that for Growlanser and (presumably) P2: Eternal Punishment.

Lain

There's still hope. A PEGI rating for the game was given this afternoon.

That's nice. Since I was going to buy it digital to play on Vita, not having to switch accounts and all the memcard switching bullshit as well would make everything better. I'll wait and see I guess.

I've had similar thoughts. When I was more optimistic about support I wanted to stop getting physical copies of games that'll be on PSN in favor of digital ones, but Hakuoki set off alarm bells, along with the fact they took forever to ADD more PSP games (while ignoring the one that came out with the Vita's early launch). If this is what I can expect I'll probably stick with physical copies anyway, at the least I'll do that for Growlanser and (presumably) P2: Eternal Punishment.

acceptable to me: vita psp umd incompatibility
sorta acceptable to me: not all psp umd games on psn
unacceptable to me: absence of any psn psp/ps1 games on vita store. anything short of full psn psp/ps1 compatibility is fucked. 'game by game' is fucked. message to sony: get your friggin' shit together...

TimeKillr

Yeah I'm super disappointed it doesn't support the Vita.

My PSP and my Go are out of commission, tucked away in boxes. I wanted to play Gungnir. I wanted to buy it.

If it doesn't work on the Vita? No sale. Sorry, Atlus :(

Eusis

acceptable to me: vita psp umd incompatibility
sorta acceptable to me: not all psp umd games on psn
unacceptable to me: absence of any psn psp/ps1 games on vita store. anything short of full psn psp/ps1 compatibility is fucked. 'game by game' is fucked. message to sony: get your friggin' shit together...
I can accept if they're ironing out games, or clarifying some rights issues, but they should either make it a priority to get NEW games supported immediately, or at least reliably (like, monthly, initially at least) update the list of supported games. They updated the list of supported games a grand total of ONCE so far, which excluded Hakuoki and (somewhat more understandably) the new MLB game, and the system's been out 4 months. It's even worse if it's literally a matter of flipping a switch or just the need to do some basic QA to ensure, yes, it works, because that is the sort of stuff that should've been sorted out ahead of time for new games.

I can accept if they're ironing out games, or clarifying some rights issues, but they should either make it a priority to get NEW games supported immediately, or at least reliably (like, monthly, initially at least) update the list of supported games. They updated the list of supported games a grand total of ONCE so far, which excluded Hakuoki and (somewhat more understandably) the new MLB game, and the system's been out 4 months. It's even worse if it's literally a matter of flipping a switch or just the need to do some basic QA to ensure, yes, it works, because that is the sort of stuff that should've been sorted out ahead of time for new games.

until they offer vita owners a reasonable explanation (such as rights issues), i'm going with that. pure lack of interest. the give-away being for me the 'download on ps3 / transfer to vita' thing - how else to explain how this can actually sometimes work?...

Eusis

until they offer vita owners a reasonable explanation (such as rights issues), i'm going with that. pure lack of interest. the give-away being for me the 'download on ps3 / transfer to vita' thing - how else to explain how this can actually sometimes work?...
It probably is a bit of both, but SCEA (and some third parties) just don't care enough to get this sorted out like it should be unlike in Japan and seemingly Europe.

Top Bottom