• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gungnir |OT| The War to End All Wars

Why do Sting games have at least 30 lines of text on screen at all times? ALL IN DIFFERENT FONTS?!

Man, I love it! It's just nutty.

NOW TALKING...

Oh btw, anyone else go ahead and start on Advanced? It gets pretty intense, had to restart a couple battles and fine tune my strategy. I like how they make you think and plan ahead. Beats are crucial! I had to change up the equipment on my units because they lacked a single panel weapon and couldn't initiate them. It made a huge difference.

Emitan

OkJkJ.png

Don't you?

icecream

Public Health Threat
No Vita compatability yet is disappointing. Guess the PSPgo will have to do until it's updated.

Can saves transfer between the two platorms?

Ricker

I'm still mulling this one over, is the story pretty solid?

Only played the intro on advanced but just from that I can tell it's going to be awesome...my only gripe is that there is a lot of text and UI stuff on screen during the battles ;) , but yeah everything else looks awesome...I even had a choice to make in the intro that might affect something later on(hopefully in a good way)but some of my teamates disagreed...lots of things that level up depending on usage,specials etc...

Emitan

I hope this is playable on Vita by the time I buy one. I want to know what this looks like on something other than a scratched up PSP-1000 screen.

Picked up my physical copy today, last one in the store.

Now it goes into the dreaded backlog. I've barely even made a dent in the Dept. Heaven series yet, so I won't be getting to this one for a long time. Still excited to support PSP RPGs in North America. :D

Emitan

I'm really getting into this. Pulling me in in a way Final Fantasy Tactics never did. I'm happy to finally find another SRPG I like that's not Fire Emblem.

Someday when I finally crawl my way out of Xenoblade's shadow I should give this a shot. How are the Dept. Heaven vets finding this stacks up to the rest of the series?

i still adore knights in the nightmare, but as a more "traditional" offering, this is sting's best yet. it's essentally final fantasy tactics: ostentatious edition. story is a solid aping of matsuno's work, the challenge curve/rewards are (so far) spot on, and the classs/weapons system is a good mashup of riviera and tactics ogre. thumbs way, way up. played it until 4am, which almost NEVER happens with me these days.

gate777

The battle where (Scene 4)
you had to defeat Prierre took a lot out of me. The next battle kicks my ass (Rodriguez). The fucker just stands there and his troops kick my butt. They do almost 2x the damage I do to them. I'm playing on adventurous and I'm not new to SRPG but this game is hard

Any general tips for this game? More specifically, ho do I use the ally boost thing where you can attack with 2 or more party members at once? The manual and in game tutorial doesn't explain it very well.

if you are not using scramble time, U R DOIN IT RONG. it is the ONLY thing worth spending tactics points on. also, ALWAYS take the ace that reduces wait times for the most classes, ALWAYS.

boost is a crap shoot. it requires having specific classes in specific places to the executing party member. i don't usually bother unless i'm cleaning up a high hp boss or its convenient (melee or close range boost from the heavies). i'd rather save the tactics points for scramble.

This game is crack. I've started getting ahold of Scrambling and Beats now, plus the layout of my characters gear situation.

The dialogue is Radiant Historia Redux, so many world-weary young folk with this devil-may-care fatalism and caged hope written so well.

The UI should be a trainwreck yet it works. Somehow, someway, it works. Somewhere a designer is looking at these screens with abject horror, but it works!

Ricker

This game is crack. I've started getting ahold of Scrambling and Beats now, plus the layout of my characters gear situation.

The dialogue is Radiant Historia Redux, so many world-weary young folk with this devil-may-care fatalism and caged hope written so well.

The UI should be a trainwreck yet it works. Somehow, someway, it works. Somewhere a designer is looking at these screens with abject horror, but it works!

Yes,surprisingly,it really does and gets awesomer(;)as you get use to it...and yes the game is great...took me a while but I finally defeated the whole Pierre portion(on advanced) and moved on but now they say 3 of the initial guy I had(I was rather found of that Archer)died...I think it's impossible to have no one die in one of the Pierre section right? because I will try and have no one die from now on or I will restart...all SRPG fans should grab this,it's awesome.

Yes,surprisingly,it really does and gets awesomer(;)as you get use to it...and yes the game is great...took me a while but I finally defeated the whole Pierre portion(on advanced) and moved on but now they say 3 of the initial guy I had(I was rather found of that Archer)died...I think it's impossible to have no one die in one of the Pierre section right? because I will try and have no one die from now on or I will restart...all SRPG fans should grab this,it's awesome.

That was plot-related.

Now Battle 10. YE. FUCKING. GODS. Wiegraf/Belius Redux confirmed. There is no room for error, and the damage flying around is murder, as spreading out to avoid the cannon leaves you vulnerable to OTHER problems (frontliners getting deep dicked on every attacking enemy's turn.

Which begins to show off a quirk of SPRGs that feature assist actions that I find annoying: the AI LIVES off them, and can since they outnumber you 3-to-1 usually, so they can keep Tactics up but still bust Beats out constantly via swarm tactics. What makes this game dangerous is that the enemies are not mediocre fodder compared to most SRPGs, they are built and built well. Dangerous. I find guys just getting globaled, I burn precious Tactics to Scramble and save them, then I have little to do this with subsequent saving situations. It is BRUTAL.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Loving this game so far, but one thing that always annoys me on these games:

When the character portrait looks like an old man, when the on screen character looks like a kid. Seriously, if the guy up close has a beard/goatee.. can't you put one on the other avatar of him?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Fun game...

..but too much use of the
unwinnable fight crap
early in the game.

Save money and weapons you don't need for mercs (especially doubles, as these dumbfuck mercs dont use what you hire them with for some damn reason). Rolling with a 44 Brute when everyone's 22ish is helpful to say the least.

Fun game...

..but too much use of the
unwinnable fight crap
early in the game.

Great place to level and skill up in a game that really doesn't have it.

eternalb

When the character portrait looks like an old man, when the on screen character looks like a kid. Seriously, if the guy up close has a beard/goatee.. can't you put one on the other avatar of him?

Noticed that too, though really I think it may have been in one instance.

Overall, really loved the game though, very much a mini FF tactics. Always got a guilty pleasure when I would "ring out" an annoying enemy.

Here's my full review...if anyone cares :)
http://gamefanmag.com/viewpoint/review-gungnir

So I finished Riviera a while back and I want to get the Dept Heaven games out of the way before this comes out.

Is the accepted order Riviera->Yggdra Union->Knights in the Nightmare? I know they are (very) loosely tied so it doesn't particularly matter, but I'd prefer to do it right. I have the PSP KitN w/Yggdra so I'd like to know which to play first..

eternalb

So I finished Riviera a while back and I want to get the Dept Heaven games out of the way before this comes out.

Is the accepted order Riviera->Yggdra Union->Knights in the Nightmare? I know they are (very) loosely tied so it doesn't particularly matter, but I'd prefer to do it right. I have the PSP KitN w/Yggdra so I'd like to know which to play first..

That be the best order to play them, if you want to follow the Chapter orders...but honestly other than minor things, I've had no luck in really connecting the games to each other.

Maybe you will though if you play them back to back to back to back :)

Top Bottom