• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GunValkyrie was made for masochists

Jesus Christ Monkeyballs. I just finished that level where you have to jump to the top of the sphere while that weird recording is playing in the background. Took me 45 minutes to get to the top, and added 15 new strings of curse words to my vocabulary along the way. The level wouldn't have been that bad if not for the horrid controls -- who the fuck has you press in on the thumbsticks to boost? Evil Sega employees bent on the destruction of mankind, that's who!
I'm debating now whether or not to finish the game if it gets any worse. [/rant]

YOU'RE JUST NOT SKILLED ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THE DEPTH AND BEAUTY OF THIS MASTERPIECE'S CONTROLS.

Yeeeah, I got to maybe the 3rd or 4th level.

Gattsu25

Banned
who the fuck has you press in the thumbsticks to boost? lazy ass developers that decided that by crippling the control scheme beyond repair they can fool the h4rdc0r3 g4m3r into overlooking that the game itself is terribly repetitive and drab compared to others in the genre and have them solely concentrate on the controls and wear the fact that they beat GunValkyrie around as a badge of honor while thinking that every person that disliked the game is teh weaksauce despite the fact that there are people out there that were able to beat the game, realize that it was a poorly designed piece of shit, and not act like a flailing retard thinking their dick just grew a few ounces

3rdman

Eventually it'll become second nature...Its a great game and one that REWARDS those who take the time to master the controls.

Gattsu25

Banned
The music was the only aspect of GV I felt was above average :\ The level Prince of Space is talking about being my favorite. Not all GV fans are dicks, that's true...i'm just going on past threads about this game which all turned into 'you suck at the game' circlejerks :b

I just don't really get the appeal here. I mean, I spent 20 minutes in one level jumping up and down a shaft shooting at enemies. Wowee. Does it get any better?

rastex

Banned
I say this every time someone bitches about GV.

COME UP WITH A BETTER CONTROL SCHEME THAT ALLOWS ALL THE SAME FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT!!! Until you can do that, SHUT UP!

Gattsu25

Banned
rastex said:

COME UP WITH A BETTER CONTROL SCHEME THAT ALLOWS ALL THE SAME FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT!!! Until you can do that, SHUT UP!

quickie themes...haven't played the game in months so my memory on it's controls is foggy...tell me if i got something wrong

*take boosting from the Left Click and move it to the A button which does NOTHING anyway
*X,Y,B are your weapon select buttons - change one to a boost button and map the other two to weapon switch buttons
*rip off the ZoE scheme
*rip off the ZoE2 scheme

Teddman

Didn't this game originally use a combination of the lightgun and controller on Dreamcast? No wonder the controls ended up so screwy...

Seth C

A few things...

It's not that hard.
The control was done as well as it could have been.
It's not that hard.

anim_meth.gif
anim_meth.gif
I know my coordination is adversely affected when I'm tired and stoned.
anim_meth.gif
anim_meth.gif

anim_meth.gif
This little feller here, however, lookes tweaked out, and sorta like he's smoking glue. It's probably something one would see in a Beastie Boy video.

This gif's just one of the weirdest that I'll somhow remember three years from now. Don't ask me why I can remember the smallest weird and non-consequential things, but I do. ... and I remember that GunBalkyrie looks awesome. It's one that I don't have yet, but that I shall soon. Since it's one of the first titles on the box, it reminds me of the game AX for TurboGraphix16 when that system was released. I'd stand in WalMart for the longest time playing the display unit....

JMPovoa

Metroid Prime is much better and more varied than Gun Valkyrie. But the later has its own merits. Non stop action and interesting, deep gameplay (if at times frustrating)

lordmrw

I honestly believe they could have mapped out the controls better, and they should have. There are other games more complex than that that have better button mapping, so there was no reason for it.

SaitoH

Normally I have no problem adapting to control schemes, but frustration outweighed fun and I stopped playing around level 5. I've picked it up twice in the last year and a half to try again and gave up quickly. I have far too many games in the queue that are actually fun to play.

^w^

rastex

Banned
lordmrw said:
I honestly believe they could have mapped out the controls better, and they should have. There are other games more complex than that that have better button mapping, so there was no reason for it.

Then come up with a better one. You can't.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
yeah, people causually say, "boost should have been A" but forget about the right stick click in.

I think it was Che in his EGM review paragraph that said, "you're supposed to click in the sticks... as if they're a button" while complaining about the controls. It was one of the dumber things I've read in a game mag.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i admit, i struggled with the controls till the last stage, where your really forced to learn them. but once i did learn them, the game took on a whole new form, and became soooo much better. and no, there really isnt a better way to have it control and allow you to do the things you do in this game...

Finished it last night. The controls were still frustrating, but not so much as they were at the beginning of the game. I must say the final boss battle was one of the most intense I've ever fought -- I literally finished him off with barely a sliver of life. That, combined with the last 3 levels, were actually quite fun. Not bad, but could've REALLY been better.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
that's impossible... you have to click in the analogue sticks - IMPOSSIBLE!!!

wipeout364

Love this game. Too bad about the slow down on the final boss ( I think it was the final boss). Its too bad it bombed so bad I would have liked a sequel. (Along with Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon, and Shenmue -> Poor Sega :(

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
levious said:
yeah, people causually say, "boost should have been A" but forget about the right stick click in.

I think it was Che in his EGM review paragraph that said, "you're supposed to click in the sticks... as if they're a button" while complaining about the controls. It was one of the dumber things I've read in a game mag.

hey, if you like buttons that move in analog fashion and are one inch tall, good for you.

i don't -- and it was my review -- so fuck off.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

Gattsu25

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
who the fuck has you press in the thumbsticks to boost? lazy ass developers that decided that by crippling the control scheme beyond repair they can fool the h4rdc0r3 g4m3r into overlooking that the game itself is terribly repetitive and drab compared to others in the genre and have them solely concentrate on the controls and wear the fact that they beat GunValkyrie around as a badge of honor while thinking that every person that disliked the game is teh weaksauce despite the fact that there are people out there that were able to beat the game, realize that it was a poorly designed piece of shit, and not act like a flailing retard thinking their dick just grew a few ounces

[...]

Not all GV fans are dicks, that's true...i'm just going on past threads about this game which all turned into 'you suck at the game' circlejerks :b

levious said:
that's impossible... you have to click in the analogue sticks - IMPOSSIBLE!!!

keep kicking ass, chespace

aerofx

This game wins in the shit controls department.. even beating out Metroid Prime. Although pulling off some of the boosting/hover moves was pretty satisfying.

wipeout364

I thought the controls were tricky, that said the game really opened up once you learned them. I really felt like I was getting better as the game progressed and the better you became at boosting the cooler the game got. Of course almost everyone I know didn't like the controls so I guess you can't please everyone, but they pleased me.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I thought the controls were fine, but the game was so MIND-NUMBINGLY BORING that it really detracted from the whole experience. ;p

nitewulf

rastex said:

copy the ZOE control scheme A, Y for up and down, left analog for strafing and forward/back. left trigger to shoot main weapon, right for boost. right analog to control camera or weapon. X to jump. B to make a 180 degree turn.

there, its a much better control scheme.

GV is a very bad game, which is a shame, because graphically its fantastic.

miyuru

euphonism

\Eu"pho*nism\, n. An agreeable combination of sounds; euphony.

Example:

3rdman said:
Eventually it'll become second nature...Its a great game and one that REWARDS those who take the time to master the controls.

rastex

Banned
nitewulf said:
copy the ZOE control scheme A, Y for up and down, left analog for strafing and forward/back. left trigger to shoot main weapon, right for boost. right analog to control camera or weapon. X to jump. B to make a 180 degree turn.

there, its a much better control scheme.

GV is a very bad game, which is a shame, because graphically its fantastic.

How do you change your weapons? And you have to take your thumb OFF the pad buttons (which you look up and down with) to look left and right... wouldn't allow as much freedom. Nice try though.

nitewulf

i never really got the 3 buttons for 3 weapons deal either, why not just use one button? PDO has 3 form changes in one button and at times the game calls for split second form change, and yet it works perfectly!

ok, here it is.
on ground, left analog for moving back/forth, and side to side.
on air, left analog for moving up and down, side to side.
left trigger weapon, right trigger boost at all times.
right analog camera control at all times.
right analog click in to center camera.
1 face button to switch weapons.
1 to jump.
1 to turn 180 degrees.

and you are still left with one more face button to use for something else.

nitewulf

you wouldnt! try to see it from my POV. you're thinking the game is fine the way it is, which it just isnt, its retarded! you can do everything they allowed you to do, with my controls implemented.

on ground, enemy to your left?
boost and move back, boost and move left and it will be in front of you.

on air enemy to your left while platforming?
LEAVE PLATFORM.
STAY ON AIR AND PERFORM SAME MANUEVER!!
and then slowly get back to platform, oh yeah, holding jump would allow you to hover, if i was designing the game.

FightyF

Banned
Then come up with a better one. You can't.

Ok, that's it. I'm gonna go through the game again, and find a better control scheme and post it here. Perpare* to weep!

*misspelled on purpose

Gattsu25

Banned
rastex, I think the problem here is that you are defending the controls without having played the competition. you think GV's controls are fine the way they are without playing games like ZoE2 that allow you to do what GV lets you, and MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more (especially near the end of the game) all the while remaining very fun, and still allowing a lot of room for very skilled players to shine above less skilled ones

inpHilltr8r, you're right...I think that's a huge issue

SaitoH

wipeout364 said:
I thought the controls were tricky, that said the game really opened up once you learned them. I really felt like I was getting better as the game progressed and the better you became at boosting the cooler the game got. Of course almost everyone I know didn't like the controls so I guess you can't please everyone, but they pleased me.

I can confirm that he is indeed a video game masochist of the highest order.

=P

Top Bottom