• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Pimp A Butterfly tracklist

1. Wesley's Theory
2. For Free? (Interlude)
3. King Kunta
4. Institutionalized
5. These Walls
6. u
7. Alright
8. For Sale? (Interlude)
9. Momma
10. Hood Politics
11. How Much A Dollar Cost
12. Complexion
13. The Blacker The Berry
14. You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said)
15. i
16. Mortal Man

No features in that so it's a little sus. Seems accurate based on various leaks/insider info.

Reports are saying it was sent out to streaming sites to prevent leaks. The features will be shown later.

TDE's promotion is TRASH. You would think they had some grand plan to release stuff, based on their secrecy. Instead they revealed the cover randomly past midnight, dropped a track list with no features...why?

Maybe we get everything tomorrow when the Rolling Stone article goes up.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't understand the world anymore. A world where thin blondes* are no longer considered attractive is a world I no longer want to live in.

*Must be old enough to buy me beer when I'm too drunk to walk to the piggly wiggly

RBK

Banned
brehs just listened to Boy Meets World for the first time today
this album...
lawd.png

The Ecology is growing on me even the production is pretty dated.

I'll give this a listen sometime soon.

DominoKid

Reports are saying it was sent out to streaming sites to prevent leaks. The features will be shown later.

TDE's promotion is TRASH. You would think they had some grand plan to release stuff, based on their secrecy. Instead they revealed the cover randomly past midnight, dropped a track list with no features...why?

Maybe we get everything tomorrow when the Rolling Stone article goes up.

This rollout tells me 2 things

1) this isnt the album they (especially interscope) wanted him to make.
2) they know kendrick isnt as big as his numbers would suggest and they are very worried aboit the viability of this record

Courage

2) they know kendrick isnt as big as his numbers would suggest and they are very worried aboit the viability of this record

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the case. I can almost guarantee you none of these songs will blow up like Swimming Pools, Poetic Justice, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe. i is probably the closest thing we got to a hit.

CoolOff

To Pimp A Butterfly tracklist

1. Wesley's Theory
2. For Free? (Interlude)
3. King Kunta
4. Institutionalized
5. These Walls
6. u
7. Alright
8. For Sale? (Interlude)
9. Momma
10. Hood Politics
11. How Much A Dollar Cost
12. Complexion
13. The Blacker The Berry
14. You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said)
15. i
16. Mortal Man

No features in that so it's a little sus. Seems accurate based on various leaks/insider info.

No It's Alive? :(

phanphare

Banned

makes sense. also the untitled track from the colbert report could have been hinting at this.

(What the white man say?)
A piece of mines
That's what the white man wanted when I rhyme
Telling me that he selling me just for $10.99
I go platinum from rapping, I do the company fine
What if I compromise? He said it don't even matter
Make a million or more, you living better than average
You losing your core following, gaining it all
Put a price on my talent, I hit the bank and withdraw

I guess $14.99 doesn't flow so well haha

IrishNinja

irish hasnt heard group home? im actually shocked.

hold on, revoking his hood pass now...

every few months ya'll catch me slippin, this is one of those times fam

it's a bad look but for real? i'm happy to be put onto new shit...like, i was all over that black moon shit but knew less of buckshot/boot camp clik stuff before kams put on a clinic a while back, that's what im here for

All of North Ireland is a hood though.

2REAL

never been to northern ireland but totally going next time im out there

IrishNinja

WW if i was out there you'd hear me going to more shows with 36, haha

i stay in MIA/vice city fam - please believe, as one of the only half-gingers out here, i pull latinas/carribean/etc way better outchea than the CAC's back in the homeland

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm learning so much today.

But questions remain. 36: Redheads. Are they as common in the motherland as I have been lead to believe?

I'm learning so much today.

But questions remain. 36: Redheads. Are they as common in the motherland as I have been lead to believe?
Nah. When I see a redhead I sometimes look twice, not used to seeing them too often so the stereotype is pretty wrong. The pale skin though, having minimal sunny weather will do that to a nation.

We are an island of drunks however.

Esch

Banned
I love how Livin' Proof is always, always, prefaced with "rapping is kinda
AXF010F.png
...", lol

Hey, if people are willing to sit through an album full of Royce Da 5'9" in 2014 with a flabby and done DJ Premier...

Might as well listen to prime preem if you're going to concede rap quality lol
ydfQOUY.png

TDE handles everything except distribution
and payola
. I don't think TDE knows how to handle this release, which is the biggest of the label's history. It goes back to the contradiction I've talked about. TDE acts like Kendrick is a big superstar yet manages him like an independent artist. They want him to be mainstream yet allow him to foster a rather anti-social persona unless he's selling a record. Like Cole, he disappears when he's not promoting a record or touring. I just don't think you can be a superstar in rap like that.

People keep comparing this to Nas' situation with Illmatic/It Was Written but I'm starting to think Radiohead makes more sense. Ok Computer put Radiohead on the cusp of U2-esque super-stardom, the world was theirs...but instead of giving people what they wanted they went left. Kid A sold less but obviously was a big record that #shifted music (according to music journalists/nerds, not me). I don't think Kendrick is going to shift anything but I think this will be a successful leftward turn while also turning off fans who wanted another GKMC sonically; just as Radiohead turned off people who wanted another The Bends/OK Computer. And if hip hop eventually does go in a more instrumental direction in ten years, he'll get credit.

Another thing: I think Kendrick suspects his fortunes are about to change. The RS article notes he went through a bout of depression, and he's still dealing with it. I think him finally deciding to reject fame freed him to do this record; he'll be fine no matter what happens, vs if he tried to go the Drake route and failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom