• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been listening to Pinata for the first time the past couple days....sooooo goooood. wow, can't belive I missed this. I've had 'Harold's' on repeat like all day. Gibbs is so fucking smooth

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
GKMC is the best rap album released in the last 5 years. So far TPAB sounds like the unholy musical demon spawn of lupe, common, kanye, and a bunch of white people with guilt issues who all dated Badu. I really really really want to give it a fair chance to impress me but it just feels flat so far. It's convinced of it's own brilliance which makes whatever quality it does have feel harder to accept. Kendrick has always had a voice that could border on grating, but the production on here is so spastic at times, it really accentuates the "man on toilet with the fireball shits" sound of his voice. It sways from a straining "jesus takes this lava flow from my anus now!" yell to a tired "is it all out of me yet?" mumble.
I really really hope it grows on me and I end up loving it as much as GKMC, and I wont label is as poor until I give it a fair shake...but man so far so so so sad.

DominoKid

that Badussy warped his mind. seems like he got that Common level mindwarp where he may not have actually fucked but just being in the general vicinity of her ruined him.

Fjordson

I've been listening to Pinata for the first time the past couple days....sooooo goooood. wow, can't belive I missed this. I've had 'Harold's' on repeat like all day. Gibbs is so fucking smooth
Such a dope album. Been revisiting it lately and it's still my favourite from last year. Madlib's set of beats was basically flawless and Gibbs was on point.

Also been revisiting If You're Reading This It's Too Late over the past two days. I know I'm probably in a small minority here, but I think it's my favourite release of '15 so far. Still don't feel the need to skip any tracks the whole way through.

DominoKid

Such a dope album. Been revisiting it lately and it's still my favourite from last year. Madlib's set of beats was basically flawless and Gibbs was on point.

Also been revisiting If You're Reading This It's Too Late over the past two days. I know I'm probably in a small minority here, but I think it's my favourite release of '15 so far. Still don't feel the need to skip any tracks the whole way through.

Its easliy my favorite project of the year so far. Drake killed that shit. Tape gets constant play.

GKMC v TPAB is a interesting conversation/debate I'm not yet ready to have. The preliminary views that come to mind: I think TPAB's high moments are not only better than GKMC's but perhaps better than most rap albums in recent memory. I would argue the production tops GKMC as well.

All that being said right now I'd counter that by noting GKMC is more consistent start to finish; there are really only two low points on the album, Backseat Freestyle and Real; plus Backseat Freestyle has grown on me. The low points on TPAB are frustrating to me because I feel like they could be easily fixed. Kendrick wastes one of his best verses at the end of Momma and it's executed way too weirdly for me. I also think Institutionalized is messy (but not bad), despite so much promise.

That's the thing about TPAB. The mis-steps are moreso parts of songs than entire songs.

Fjordson

Its easliy my favorite project of the year so far. Drake killed that shit. Tape gets constant play.
yup

jewdrizzyt4ua4.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
GKMC v TPAB is a interesting conversation/debate I'm not yet ready to have. The preliminary views that come to mind: I think TPAB's high moments are not only better than GKMC's but perhaps better than most rap albums in recent memory. I would argue the production tops GKMC as well.

All that being said right now I'd counter that by noting GKMC is more consistent start to finish; there are really only two low points on the album, Backseat Freestyle and Real; plus Backseat Freestyle has grown on me. The low points on TPAB are frustrating to me because I feel like they could be easily fixed. Kendrick wastes one of his best verses at the end of Momma and it's executed way too weirdly for me. I also think Institutionalized is messy (but not bad), despite so much promise.

That's the thing about TPAB. The mis-steps are moreso parts of songs than entire songs.

I would counter that the overall "plot" of GKMC was what really made it unique and that the three song chain of TAofPP, Money Trees, and Poetic justice is better than any 3 songs on TPAB save for Blacker the Berry and "The Cost". TPAB is lacking in that cohesiveness and it shows.

Also Bitch don't kil my vibe as a phrase was a great enough song to become a popular culture meme which TPAB has nothing on. Now I know Kendrick wished to be more afrocentric (and less mainstream....because sure why not) on this this album and songs like "Complexion" and "Aint gotta a lie" achieve this but then songs like "for Free, King Kunta, and institutionalized are just bad.... Also lets ignore the sexual imagery in these walls because that doesn't fit at all with the afrocentric theme (even though its a good song). Meanwhile GKMC had no bad songs and as a complete project was better in just above every way.

siddx

Only weak song on GKMC is Real, and even then the only terrible part of it is the hook, which is wretched. Other than that it's a first track to last track masterpiece to me.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Just know there's potentially 3-5 weak tracks if I include the bonuses.

Would like to think Hood Politics/HMADC/Complexion/TBtB is just as good as a 4 song sequence as those 3 GKMC tracks.

I'm not a fan of Hood Politics but I will admit that from "HMADA -> You Ain't Got to Lie" was the high point of the album for me. Though it wasn't as nice as the 3 song sequence I mentioned on GKMC it was nice. Also Potentially weak isn't the same as bad which can be used to describe some songs on TPAB and I'm not including the bonus tracks in my critique....

Only weak song on GKMC is Real, and even then the only terrible part of it is the hook, which is wretched. Other than that it's a first track to last track masterpiece to me.

This is how I feel about GKMC as well

I never liked Backstreet Freestyle, Poetic Justice, or Real. Now or Never either because there's way too much early 2000s gloss on that, but I dunno if we're judging bonus tracks.

The tracks I don't like on TPAB are worse though, no question, and it's not as consistent overall. My favorite track on TPAB is better than anything on GKMC though, and I think the production is stronger- or maybe "more interesting" is a better way to put it. Very mixed bag for me.

Drake tape is dope for sure. Wouldn't put it above his last two albums though

As for kendrick, lyrical content of this album is so good and the second half is better than gkmc for me

But this snooze worthy Jazz fusion production isn't helping matters. It will probably make it a real smooth listen years from now for me but atm I kind of wish everything sounded like blacker the berry and how much a dollar cost and less like...everything else

Dre needed to kick out thundercat and bless these with his own touches

RBK

Banned
Also Potentially weak isn't the same as bad which can be used to describe some songs on TPAB and I'm not including the bonus tracks in my critique....

I don't think Kendrick particularly has a "bad" song, especially when listening to them in context to the overall album. As individual tracks, there's going to be tracks stronger than others. Plus don't think this latest album has any bonus tracks.

Just to be more specific: Backstreet Freestyle, Poetic Justice, Real, Compton, and Now or Never are the "weaker" tracks.

Already stated multiple times I think TPaB does a much better job with individual tracks than GKMC as well.

I don't think Kendrick particularly has a "bad" song, especially when listening to them in context to the overall album. As individual tracks, there's going to be tracks stronger than others. Plus don't think this latest album has any bonus tracks.

Just to be more specific: Backstreet Freestyle, Poetic Justice, Real, Compton, and Now or Never are the "weaker" tracks.

Already stated multiple times I think TPaB does a much better job with individual tracks than GKMC as well.

There's a deluxe edition from Best Buy coming, I assume it'll have some extra tracks

overcast

this isn't an album for gkmc fans. this isn't an album for kendrick lamar fans. this is an album for kendrick lamar.
What else was it supposed to be? Kendrick shouldn't be boxed in to make music for a certain person, he should make what he wants. As a fan I'm more than happy with the result of him making an "album for Kendrick Lamar".

Same expectation I have for my other favorites honestly.
There's a deluxe edition from Best Buy coming, I assume it'll have some extra tracks
Fucking hell, I ordered it from Amazon today. If you can, post when you figure it out. Might return it to Amazon if this is the case.

IrishNinja

why didn't this dude get stomped out? Ugh

stan drizzy's throwaways while shitting on actually interesting albums brehs

2nd half of backseat freestyle is bobcat goldthwait rapping

haha true but that's not the only track duckworth does that on to be fair

If y'all triple dipped for real hip-hop, Killer Mike would be platinum.

#thinkaboutit
#BooBoo

#levels

King Kunta is my shit. It's sonically incredible.
I tried to give "u" another shot, but its too overwrought for my taste. Besides that misfire, "i" and the strange interludes, I fucks with everything else. What Nas tried and failed to do with the Nigger album, I think Kdot pulls off pretty convincingly.

siddx

I spent the last three hours listening to TPAB and I'm starting to warm to it.
King Kunta, Institutionalized (except the first minute), These Walls is a great stretch. U suffers from that garbage first half but gets great second half. Alright is great, one of the standouts. Momma isn't bad but it's kind of boring. Hood politics takes too long to get going but once it does is fucking dank. How much a dollar cost is another stand out. Complexion has a really interesting beat that I kinda dig but I don't see it having much staying power with me. You ain't gotta lie is pretty solid. I still sucks. Mortal Man is a great ending track, the last 7 minutes are unnecessary nonsense though.

Really the only dead spots on the album are the for free bullshit, Wesley's theory which is just a sonic mess, the first minute of institutionalized is terrible, the first half of U, and that concentrated cornball emission called i.
Chop all that shit away and I'd be calling it an B+/A- album.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I spent the last three hours listening to TPAB and I'm starting to warm to it.
King Kunta, Institutionalized (except the first minute), These Walls is a great stretch. U suffers from that garbage first half but gets great second half. Alright is great, one of the standouts. Momma isn't bad but it's kind of boring. Hood politics takes too long to get going but once it does is fucking dank. How much a dollar cost is another stand out. Complexion has a really interesting beat that I kinda dig but I don't see it having much staying power with me. You ain't gotta lie is pretty solid. I still sucks. Mortal Man is a great ending track, the last 7 minutes are unnecessary nonsense though.

Really the only dead spots on the album are the for free bullshit, Wesley's theory which is just a sonic mess, the first minute of institutionalized is terrible, the first half of U, and that concentrated cornball emission called i.
Chop all that shit away and I'd be calling it an B+/A- album.

This is close to where I am at. Tracks I actually don't think suck: King Kunta, Alright, the second half o U, Hood Politics, Momma, How Much, Blacker the Berry, and Mortal Man.

These Walls is alright, but I've cut the first useless 30 seconds off the front in iTunes.

Institutionalized, U and For Sale are undecided for me.

Wesley, For Free, You Ain't Got to Lie and the first nonsense half of U are garbage tracks. If these had been cut and he had fewer yes men surrounding him telling him that every song needed a skit or interlude of "deep" shit that a freshman poli sci major would cringe at, then the album could be considered great.

As it is now, it's alright. Even though it's an incredible mess of an album with no real direction, when he cuts the bullshit and raps, it's still very entertaining. Still, I spun Section 80 and GKMC about 5 times a day after release, this album feels more like homework.

Poetic justice and good kid are fucking abortions of songs. Always get a skip when o play gkmc.

The new album is cool. I've listened once and was feeling it. Needs a few listens before I make my mind up.

It's hilarious watching people flip flop from not liking it to "it's growing on me". It's like some of ya'll want to like it more than you ever will.

I won't listen to Earl. OF has always been garbage to me.

Cuban link 2 is defo worth a listen Nibel, get on that.

Yet another Rae album (fila) that hes trying too hard with the tracklist and art. Outside of Cuban link his solos are always bad. I liked some cuts off Shoalin vs wu tang but he could've made something cool with that concept.

Instead Rae gives us a super generic album. Looks to be doing the same. Rocky and 2chainz features? Cmon chef, stop trying for that mainstream appeal that's forever out of your grasp in this age.

Eos

GKMC is a 10/10 and poetic justice is the worst song on the album for me, it isn't weak, but I just don't like the song. Backseat Freestyle is also goat. Can't rate TPAB yet.

I wonder what direction kendrick's gonna go in for his 3rd.

I would counter that the overall "plot" of GKMC was what really made it unique and that the three song chain of TAofPP, Money Trees, and Poetic justice is better than any 3 songs on TPAB save for Blacker the Berry and "The Cost". TPAB is lacking in that cohesiveness and it shows.

Also Bitch don't kil my vibe as a phrase was a great enough song to become a popular culture meme which TPAB has nothing on. Now I know Kendrick wished to be more afrocentric (and less mainstream....because sure why not) on this this album and songs like "Complexion" and "Aint gotta a lie" achieve this but then songs like "for Free, King Kunta, and institutionalized are just bad.... Also lets ignore the sexual imagery in these walls because that doesn't fit at all with the afrocentric theme (even though its a good song). Meanwhile GKMC had no bad songs and as a complete project was better in just above every way.
Eh These Walls fits the album concept perfectly, and features a conceptual double entendre. It's not just a sex song, it's pretty clearly also rooted in the caterpillar/cocoon imagery of the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom