• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
so going by Kanye's tweets it's probably safe to assume the album version of All Day is gonna be different/more energetic

dat Kendrick influence

well they took the time to release the live version on his main Vevo account and the official video snippets also sound more intense so i think that's a safe assumption
and also a good move

FZZ

Banned
so going by Kanye's tweets it's probably safe to assume the album version of All Day is gonna be different/more energetic

dat Kendrick influence

Just saw

If he does that then holy shit this is a new Kanye. I feel like this is something he would never have pulled with Yeezus and Black Skinhead.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
it's not like everyone on the web called all day out for lacking the energy of its debut. punch...is that you?

hlgwN8K.png

Is Cuban Linx 2 worth listening to

Yup. Production of that album is incredible and holds up a half dozen years later. House of Flying Daggers is the last great Wu song, Sonny's Missing is short and sweet Pete Rock goodness, Black Mozart and the New Wu might be the last truly great RZA tracks (how the mighty have fallen) 10 Bricks is one of the hottest Dilla tracks ever, and Surgical Gloves is standout Alchemist material.
I read hiphop gaf slandering this album a few weeks back and I couldnt even bring myself to comment on that whackness.

Cheddahz

Banned
For Free to King Kunta might be the worst transition I've ever seen, but after listening to To Pimp A Butterfly, I like it more than GKMC

Nibel

Yup. Production of that album is incredible and holds up a half dozen years later. House of Flying Daggers is the last great Wu song, Sonny's Missing is short and sweet Pete Rock goodness, Black Mozart and the New Wu might be the last truly great RZA tracks (how the mighty have fallen) 10 Bricks is one of the hottest Dilla tracks ever, and Surgical Gloves is standout Alchemist material.
I read hiphop gaf slandering this album a few weeks back and I couldnt even bring myself to comment on that whackness.

Aight, will do - thanks for your opinion b

The more I listen to Mortal Man and digest the lyrics, the more brilliant it becomes - what a great way to finish an album

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

dat Kendrick influence
What? If anything his tweets indicate he's happy with All Day as is, the exact opposite.

IrishNinja

Is Cuban Linx 2 worth listening to

fuck yes
to roughly quote esh, it's pretty good by what he points out is post 2000's Wu standards, absolutely worth hearing

I give a fuck cod.

came to post this too fam

P4K bout to give this weedplate a 9.4 when it's closer to a 4.9.

his white girl fanbase (what little he had) is about to plummet. played some of it for folks on my lunch break and this one white chick was like "this is too black...er bleak. same thing i guess."

yes tell me more of your opinions girl
EpE5m1q.png

the olds will love it because it "transcends" rap. pops bought it off itunes as soon as he saw George Clinton was on it

haha damn
that last bit about your old man jumping on for clinton made me happy though, you ever play him bop gun & the remix of let me ride in the day?

My thoughts on the Kendrick album that I posted in the Kendrick thread...

Listening to this album, due to the real Funk/Jazz feel of the album, i feel like he basically did what his mom asked him to do on the previous album on the song "Real"...

But look, you take that music business serious, and put out something me and your dad can step to. Shit, you know we from Chicago, you know that's what we do

and this as well, due to the Powerful messages throughout the album and uplifting songs such as "I"

But when you do make it, give back with your words of encouragement, and that's the best way to give back. To your city...

just my thoughts anyways.

mortal man is amazing. This is a really good album. Kendrick has transcended typical hiphop albums with this as this is so much more than your normal hiphop record.

DominoKid

haha damn
that last bit about your old man jumping on for clinton made me happy though, you ever play him bop gun & the remix of let me ride in the day?

nah i've never heard it but i'm sure he has. im not into PFunk like that despite how hard he tried to put me on.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Combat Jack explains the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money lawsuit. This is really worth a watch for everyone, very good detail. Holy shit Birdman is a fucking villain. It's a short video but in case people can't watch:

- Wayne renegotiated his deal in 2005 (for higher royalties), 2006 (higher advances for agreeing to do duet albums with Birdman), 2009 (Cash Money agrees to pay $8 million advances, and $2 more million upon completion of each of his subsequent albums), in addition to many other renegotiations
- Carter V was submitted last September, Cash Money has only paid $2 million of the $10 million they owe.
- Cash Money initially (2003) agreed to own 51% of Young Money, with Wayne owning 49%. Wayne alleges Cash Money actually did not give him any copyright and when Birdman set the label up they cut out Wayne completely.
- Wayne and Birdman extend the Young Money venture in anticipation of Drake blowing up, agree to give Wayne a 1/3 of the profits off of Drake. Wayne got nothing from Drake.
- Wayne has been denied the monthly royalties they agreed upon when they extended the Young Money venture.
- Wayne wants to end his & YM's relationship with Cash Money, and to have all of both of those copyrights restored

Combat Jack stresses that this is only Wayne's perspective (as he is the one suing).

Holy shit.

I mean if Wayne has legal documentation of this he should win most of this. Probably not the initial YM copy right claim..... Its Crazy that they agreed to pay him 10 million per album for the rest of his contract.

JohnDoe

Banned
his white girl fanbase (what little he had) is about to plummet. played some of it for folks on my lunch break and this one white chick was like "this is too black...er bleak. same thing i guess."

yes tell me more of your opinions girl
EpE5m1q.png

the olds will love it because it "transcends" rap. pops bought it off itunes as soon as he saw George Clinton was on it

damn son

RPS37

quoting TKAM
this guy
the last line of the album is creepy too
in a good way if that makes sense
yea this album is good
also the interview reminds me of the Mickey Factz - Mickey MauSe mixtape, specifically the Memoirs of Entry songs
...not that anyone besides me listened to that tape lol

shit lol
Mickey MauSe is the shit.

kamspy

to pimp a butterfly so good it got kampsy to post in the other thread
i think that speaks for itself haha

It's that good.

People who never lived with cassette tapes might not get this album. This is one of those albums you can just leave in the tape deck and pick up wherever you left off.

I haven't had a rap boner this hard in a long time. This shit is magical.

This is that second half of The Chronic vibey type stuff. Fine wine.

HiiiLife

This dick ain't fuh reeeeee.

Had this album on loop since this morning. Still ain't tired of it.

Definitely a grower for me compared to GKMC, which grabbed my ears first listen.

What? If anything his tweets indicate he's happy with All Day as is, the exact opposite.

I think it's a pretty good sign he'll change it I remember him changing Runaway the one he released on GOOD Friday's didn't have elements of the live version. Then he added the elements (crazy sample chop in beginng the sample of ladies and gentlemen) on the album version.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's kind of awesome to see Kanye cosign Kendrick so openly. When it was Zane Lowe or whoever that asked him about Kendrick initially I wasn't entirely convinced even though he said Kendrick was one of the voices of the future, I think Kanye was caught off guard with that question.

I guess the All Day credit makes a bit more sense now, though I'm hoping it's just whatever the second song is that they mushed together onto the single version.

It's kind of awesome to see Kanye cosign Kendrick so openly. When it was Zane Lowe or whoever that asked him about Kendrick initially I wasn't entirely convinced even though he said Kendrick was one of the voices of the future, I think Kanye was caught off guard with that question.

yea pretty cool to see for sure

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Album only leaked like 5 seconds ago, definitely needs at least a week or two before making any kind of real judgement on it. I thought the opener was really musically jarring though, just sounds like a complete mess. I found my enjoyment swaying back and forth the whole time and I ended with a negative overall view of the album but I am determined to give it time before I settle on an opinion.

welp, for what it's worth; tpab ultimately misses the mark as a result of its ambition. seems like it's trying to be three different albums and all things to all people. as a result, it feels extremely messy and inconsistent. the highs are high (mortal man, blacker the berry, hood politics), but the lows are some of the lowest in 2015 thus far (for free, king kunta, institutionalized). could have easily been 11 songs and would be a much better album -- shouldn't take three songs to get me interested in listening. this isn't an album for gkmc fans. this isn't an album for kendrick lamar fans. this is an album for kendrick lamar.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
lol I actually thought King Kunta was the initial standout for me. Sounds like a DJ Quik beat. This is gonna be one of those albums that nobody agrees on, even if they both like it, it will be for different reasons.

As Far as I'm concerned BTB & How much a dollar cost are the standouts, Hood Politics, Mortal Man & Alright are okay.

I find Mortal Man to be pretty cheesy, even if well done.

There was a NY Times article a few weeks ago about how Kendrick barely made contact with Kanye during the tour, didn't talk to media or the various backstage celebs, etc. Sounds like they got into the studio for Kanye's album, and probably talked a bit, but overall it seems like they crossed paths at the wrong time. If Kendrick was recording GKMC while meeting Kanye I'd imagine they'd do more shit together.

Not to mention Kanye saying "jazz is dead" last year.

we were all clowning on punch but just wait
to pimp a butterfly is actually next level viral marketing for harper lee's next book
even if the album goes royal oak in sales first week they'll get paid from book sales
we all got played
#factsonly

RBK

Banned
King Kunta really isn't a lyrical song but it's an enjoyable listen. One of the standouts on the album.

Only weak songs I would say is Institutionalized and Wesley's Theory. Undecided on These Walls as well.

Alright is dope as fuck. Kendrick goes off and the added horns really adds another dimension to the beat; I remember Pharrell playing that beat w/the hook last year at a DJ session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom