• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
not even summoning the specter of Wale is gonna save me, I see; I was hoping it would galvanize yall to my side, like a states rights argument in the south. Aite, yall are right I'm wrong.

Esch

Banned
RBK stay re-writing history lol.

Esch: That's a good argument. Still...would you honestly say he is apart of the mainstream zeitgeist? Dude just feels like a lightskin, more popular Wale to me. If Wale sold 800k records no one would really care...and I feel the same about Cole. Even with his formulaic radio hits he feels like he's on the outside looking in.

I don't mean to belittle the man.

Like i said he's his own thing mostly. Dude just runs by himself, but that doesn't mean hes not loved in his own way and won't have a legacy. He took the everyman sorta bland beta rapper thing to its pinnacle . My position here is probably bolstered by the fact that i know some rabid, ReconYodaesque Cole stanleys in real life.

Tokubetsu

Like i said he's his own thing mostly. Dude just runs by himself, but that doesn't mean hes not loved in his own way and won't have a legacy. He took the everyman sorta bland beta rapper thing to its pinnacle . My position here is probably bolstered by the fact that i know some rabid, ReconYodaesque Cole stanleys in real life.

Yeah Cole's biggest advantage is that there really isn't anyone in the same lane as him. Childish Gambino is the only one who comes close imo, but even he is still more far left than cole.

J.Cole is the "I'm bisexual but not really, it was just the one time" of rappers.

I went on Facebook today and found several of the rappers and producers I follow talking about the new Kendrick Lamar album, so I decided to put my silly animosity for the rapper aside and give it a listen. It is swell.

tumblr_mhwh1anHMY1qa7gyjo1_250.gif

I'd still feel weird downloading one of his albums though.

studyguy

How embarrassing would it be for Wayne if this came out before TC5?

Thugger is such a troll lmao

I mean which one would more people pick up either way. How many are really looking forward to Carter V atm, last I head it was like 500k projected when it was supposed to release...

DominoKid

Must suck. I know one and damn near everytime he brings up Cole I have to stifle my laughter. Cole aint sitting at the big boy table even if his numbers should put him there

CoolOff

After listening to GKMC and TPAB, I think the first few songs on TPAB are weak (I didn't really start liking the album until "Alright"), but once "Alright" comes on, it becomes a masterpiece. I still think that GKMC is a better album that's put together, but I like "Alright" and everything afterwards much more than I liked GKMC altogether, but the first few songs on TPAB bring it down for me

"Alright" through "Mortal Man" > GKMC >>>>>>>>> "Wesley's Theory" through "u"

Exactly how I feel. I like These Walls tho.

I went on Facebook today and found several of the rappers and producers I follow talking about the new Kendrick Lamar album, so I decided to put my silly animosity for the rapper aside and give it a listen. It is swell.

tumblr_mhwh1anHMY1qa7gyjo1_250.gif

I'd still feel weird downloading one of his albums though.

What was your beef with him breh

Esch

Banned
Must suck. I know one and damn near everytime he brings up Cole I have to stifle my laughter. Cole aint sitting at the big boy table even if his numbers should put him there
it's funny imo. They're like why don't you like him, he's so real, he's such a good rapper. Much like wale stanleys, they just don't get it.

Nibel

I'm not a nut hugger like that. It's not a perfect album so I can't give it a perfect rating. However I feel like just a few changes could have made it near perfect, if not outright perfect.

Maybe 10 doesn't need to mean perfect; what does it mean anyway

I don't see how drake takes any sort of risks creatively. Could you give me an enzo list please?

What material has Aubrey put out that's fundamentally "riskier" than what Pharcyde and Slum Village were doing years earlier? Dude has a really good ear for music and his hook game is on point. Motherfucker cant put out a single without the hook turning into a cultural meme, Jay was at that level in the early 2000s. So I applaud that. But creative risks? What?

what are your issues with the tape?

I'm warming up to King Kunta but I still wish the track developed more cleanly. It's a cool track, not saying I dislike it.

Institutionalized is poorly executed to me. The beat is dope and some of Kendrick's parts are fine, but others are ehh. And I really dislike Anna Wise on this track. Snoop is great on the track though.

Momma is an amazing beat, it sounds like Dilla to me. It should be a top tier track but is lowered by the puzzling outro. That's the verse Kendrick did on SNL in November, it's an amazing verse...but it completely wasted here IMO.

For Sale is ok but also feels like it could have been better. It's an interlude but I'd count it more as a "song" than For Free (which I actually like).

-----
I don't think any of the tracks are bad. For Free is a poetry slam. I understand why people dislike it, even those who are familiar with poetry slams. It reminds me of Kanye's Def Jam Poetry performance, which is what you'd expect from that stuff. Exaggerated delivery, pauses and starts for dramatic effect, humor, etc. That's what makes slam poetry entertaining.

What material has Aubrey put out that's fundamentally "riskier" than what Pharcyde and Slum Village were doing years earlier? Dude has a really good ear for music and his hook game is on point. Motherfucker cant put out a single without the hook turning into a cultural meme, Jay was at that level in the early 2000s. So I applaud that. But creative risks? What?
Why did you quote me and what are you saying.

TPAB probably stays at around a 7 for me. Too many moments of corn and overreach, and the esch scale rating drops heavy in the first half of the album; lots of misses until Alright then it gets a little better song by song.

At least a strong 8.5 for me. Maybe 9.
Definitely pleased after listening to it with headphones.

Cole is in his own lane now, I'm sure he's content.
Still waiting for that Cole produced Kendrick album

One of the biggest tracks this year

that's a cool cover

What was the last record?

1989 maybe? (complete guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom