• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

Montresor

So the creator of freaking Minecraft is on h3h3's side and has donated $8000. God bless Ethan and Hila hahah. They are going to come out of this okay.

Tubie

SoFlo donating would be amazing

Rofl that would be incredible.

I doubt this Bold Guy will be able to pay his lawyer for the whole process, unless he makes way more money than I think he does from his shitty parkour and fake talking to girls videos.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
SoFlo donating would be amazing

I WON'T LIE

GkKK3da.png

THIS IS DEFINITELY ME WHEN I DONATE TO PROTECT FREE USE
OnMX5vG.png
wwKW5Ve.png

Stopped watching H3H3 vids after that hypocritical Leafy rant but I hope he comes out on the good side of this bs lawsuit - glad to see people helping him out

Razorskin

----- ------
You think Gamer Gear guy and that Dentist will back Matt Hoss with funding for his legal case?

Shit, what if Papa John's gets involved?

I haven't really heard of h3h3 much before but it sounds like this lawsuit could have major negative implications on content creation if passed so it's nice to see internet personalities putting aside their differences to combat this moron.

I just watched a bunch of these"BoldGuy" videos and now my brain is bleeding. Most of the viewership must be coming from some sort of morbid curiosity.

Aurongel

This doesn't sound like the type of case that will make it to trial so I'm not sure how I feel about donating to their legal fund.

Aiii

So not worth it
This doesn't sound like the type of case that will make it to trial so I'm not sure how I feel about donating to their legal fund.

They're setting it up in a fund for Fair Use cases, so even if it doesn't go to this, the lawyers will use it in future cases, which will no doubt pop-up.

I'm a fan of H3h3 but I just think this is all in all a terrible situation.

They made fun of a guy and his channel with their "soft" sense of human. Yea I enjoy watching their videos but I'm not going to lie if I was a content creator and a bigger Youtuber makes a video about me and I just don't have the thick skin I will probably get pissed and embarrassed.

I think Ethan knew he is always walking on a thin line and the fact that they were willing to talk behind closed doors (drawing up paperwork) tells me that they were going to settle and pay the guy's attorney fee before the dude was vindictive and made a strike on their channel.

At the end of the day this guy is in his legal rights to go after them and content creators supporting Ethan isn't a selfless act. Content creators want Ethan to deal with this situation and succeed so that they can benefit from a positive ruling on fair use. This isn't bad but I'm tired of seeing all the "Thanks" tweets and putting these people on pedestals, they are just looking out for themselves and getting easy PR.

To a certain point you have to look at things from the other guy's point of view. Understand where he is coming from even if you disagree with his action--which I disagree with him striking their video.

Fair use laws need to be looked at with multiple lenses. Is it a simple ruling if you are bashing someone (despite the soft language and the humor I enjoy from Ethan it is still bashing) and you have a large following that will go and harass that person [even more so now]? Does Ethan have a personal responsibility to inform his viewers not to attack someone? Are negative comments like "this is cringy" "wtf" harassment when you can track, with Youtube analytics, when the negative comments started coming in after someone made a video.

Fair use laws need to be looked at with multiple lenses. Is it a simple ruling if you are bashing someone (despite the soft language and the humor I enjoy from Ethan it is still bashing) and you have a large following that will go and harass that person [even more so now].

That has absolutely nothing to do with fair use. The argument that "they encouraged people to harass me" is completely different from "they infringed on my copyright".

I subscribe to them, but can barely make it through a video. They really aren't "that funny". Kind of take Great Show's sense of humor and comment on videos. I have no idea how they got so far with this. Joh Tron uses the same (he was first I know) style but is much better quality.

They made fun of a guy and his channel with their "soft" sense of human. Yea I enjoy watching their videos but I'm not going to lie if I was a content creator and a bigger Youtuber makes a video about me and I just don't have the thick skin I will probably get pissed and embarrassed.

I think Ethan knew he is always walking on a thin line and the fact that they were willing to talk behind closed doors (drawing up paperwork) tells me that they were going to settle and pay the guy's attorney fee before the dude was vindictive and made a strike on their channel.

At the end of the day this guy is in his legal rights to go after them and content creators supporting Ethan isn't a selfless act. Content creators want Ethan to deal with this situation and succeed so that they can benefit from a positive ruling on fair use. This isn't bad but I'm tired of seeing all the "Thanks" tweets and putting these people on pedestals, they are just looking out for themselves and getting easy PR.

To a certain point you have to look at things from the other guy's point of view. Understand where he is coming from even if you disagree with his action--which I disagree with him striking their video.

Fair use laws need to be looked at with multiple lenses. Is it a simple ruling if you are bashing someone (despite the soft language and the humor I enjoy from Ethan it is still bashing) and you have a large following that will go and harass that person [even more so now]? Does Ethan have a personal responsibility to inform his viewers not to attack someone? Are negative comments like "this is cringy" "wtf" harassment when you can track, with Youtube analytics, when the negative comments started coming in after someone made a video.

What?

That has absolutely nothing to do with fair use. The argument that "they encouraged people to harass me" is completely different from "they infringed on my copyright".

Is it fair use for Beyonce to use a sound clip of a anchor that bashed her as the opening to her concert?

Beyonce's tried to pay for the use of that sound clip, the anchor declined. Beyonce isn't using that sound clip.

I'm not arguing what is or is not fair use. I just think this situation is more complex than what Ethan's fans believe.

Is it fair use for Beyonce to use a sound clip of a anchor that bashed her as the opening to her concert?

Exactly as much fair use as it is for her to use a sound clip on an anchor that praised her. Whether the material you use is portrayed in a positive or negative light doesn't have any bearing on whether it's copyright infringement.

You as a content creator and human being have a right to get pissed and embarrassed. That doesn't mean you are free from criticism or light jabs. Or jabs at all, unless they are direct attacks (like "go fuck up this guy in real life").

If you watch his video, they weren't going to pay shit because it'd set a terrible precedent. You can complain about the "easy PR", but this is big for both H3 and other Youtuber's livelihoods. They all know it. We all know it. Hell, if you watch one of the videos above you, a lawyer actually says Bold Guy might not be paying shit, while Ethan and Hila are spending money to establish a blockage against this shit. Like, their own money is coming out of that.

If "bashing" were an issue, things like The Onion wouldn't exists. That's not the issue here. Hurt feelings aren't going to win you a case unless they are directly involved within your livelihood, like libel, and even then you'd have to prove that within the spectrum of your defense. Good luck doing that when the video of said criticisms is not only light, but promoting his channel.

The real issue here is using content that is not yours and how far you can go with it. Whatever feelings Bold Guy caught don't matter.

Exactly as much fair use as it is for her to use a sound clip on an anchor that praised her. Whether the material you use is portrayed in a positive or negative light doesn't have any bearing on whether it's copyright infringement.

It seems that Beyonce with her flock of lawyers, money, and managers didn't agree with this statement. Once again I'm not arguing if it is fair use or not, I just think it is an extremely complicated issue that is not as simple as people think it is.

And context will dictate so much. I do not think this is the best example for Youtubers and fans to get behind when wanting to push fair use laws because the jury and judge will look at the situation in every angle like I attempted to do. And what will happen if they rule against this? Will the ruling, if not in favor of H3H3, be an example of what is fair use and just create a larger uphill battle for content creators to criticize other media?

I think there have been some great opportunities for fair use laws to be won with Youtubers, I don't think this is one of those great opportunities; it is an opportunity but one that seems too up in the air for me to feel secure about winning.

You as a content creator and human being have a right to get pissed and embarrassed. That doesn't mean you are free from criticism or light jabs. Or jabs at all, unless they are direct attacks (like "go fuck up this guy in real life").

If you watch his video, they weren't going to pay shit because it'd set a terrible precedent. You can complain about the "easy PR", but this is big for both H3 and other Youtuber's livelihoods. They all know it. We all know it. Hell, if you watch one of the videos above you, a lawyer actually says Bold Guy might not be paying shit, while Ethan and Hila are spending money to establish a blockage against this shit. Like, their own money is coming out of that.

If "bashing" were an issue, things like The Onion wouldn't exists. That's not the issue here. Hurt feelings aren't going to win you a case unless they are directly involved within your livelihood, like libel, and even then you'd have to prove that within the spectrum of your defense. Good luck doing that when the video of said criticisms is not only light, but promoting his channel.

The real issue here is using content that is not yours and how far you can go with it. Whatever feelings Bold Guy caught don't matter.

You can argue that his feelings won't play a role into it but how can you say for certain that it will not be discussed between the jury.

I want to make it clear that we do not have opposing thoughts on this matter; I am questioning if your average Joe interprets fair use and Youtube the same way we, on this tech forum, do; and I am trying to show the point of view of someone that is empathizing with Bold Guy.

This is a personal problem and should work on it.

PsychBat!

Banned
And context will dictate so much. I do not think this is the best example for Youtubers and fans to get behind when wanting to push fair use laws because the jury and judge will look at the situation in every angle like I attempted to do. And what will happen if they rule against this? Will the ruling, if not in favor of H3H3, be an example of what is fair use and just create a larger uphill battle for content creators to criticize other media?

I think there have been some great opportunities for fair use laws to be won with Youtubers, I don't think this is one of those great opportunities; it is an opportunity but one that seems too up in the air for me to feel secure about winning.

You seem to be missing a few posts where we already realized this @the bolded. And no, this is a great opportunity, it was bound to happen and Google nor YouTube were willing to do anything about it at this point in time.

Einchy

If Ethan and Hila don't fight this, it sets a terrible precedent for exertion artists to go after Youtube for fair use.

Just read Bold Guys' claims, he claims that their sub count doubled because of him. He's not only going after the money made off that video but also the money they make through their patreon.

You make it sound, Darryl, like it's okay for this guy to go after them for making fun of him. This is also more proof why this court case is even more important, are people going to start suing because people made fun of them in a video?

This whole thing would affect countless Youtubers, that's why they're all donating, this is a huge deal for not just E&H but for the whole Youtube community.

You seem to be missing a few posts where we already realized this @the bolded. And no, this is a great opportunity, it was bound to happen and Google nor YouTube were willing to do anything about it at this point in time.

Do you mind sharing with me the missed points on my end?

And I agree this was bound to happen.

If Ethan and Hila don't fight this, it sets a terrible precedent for exertion artists to go after Youtube for fair use.

Just read Bold Guys' claims, he claims that their sub count doubled because of him. He's not only going after the money made off that video but also the money they make through their patreon.

You make it sound, Darryl, like it's okay for this guy to go after them for making fun of him. This is also more proof why this court case is even more important, are people going to start suing because people made fun of them in a video? And I gave a reasonable point of view of someone empathizing with Bold Guy based on what has happened.

This whole thing would affect countless Youtubers, that's why they're all donating, this is a huge deal for not just E&H but for the whole Youtube community.

It's not okay at all for him to go after them and I disagree with everything he has done. I put most of the fault on Google and Youtube for not protecting content creators. This court case is extremely important because content creators are not safe. But consistently I have begged the question of "What if this isn't ruled in the way we all want?"

And I mentioned that these Youtubers are donating because it affects them, that this is not a selfless act this is conscious. Of course I will support someone if their efforts benefit me.

My disapproval is with praising these Youtubers as if this is a type of charity rather than them understanding that they have ALL OF THEIR skin in this.

And despite the court case making complete sense to us I've experience expecting a ruling on a case time after time only for it to be the opposite ruling---being black and all/

PsychBat!

Banned
Do you mind sharing with me the missed points on my end?

And I agree this was bound to happen.

Not points, but posts. We know the terrible precedents and consequences should your theoretical questions are proven to be right. Such as if the jury deciding in favor of Matt Hoss and not Ethan and Hila Klein.

Einchy

It's not okay at all for him to go after them and I disagree with everything he has done. I put most of the fault on Google and Youtube for not protecting content creators. This court case is extremely important because content creators are not safe. But consistently I have begged the question of "What if this isn't ruled in the way we all want?" And I mentioned that these Youtubers are donating because it affects them, that this is not a selfless act this is conscious. Of course I will support someone if their efforts benefit me; I mentioned my disapproval of praising these Youtubers as if this is a type of charity rather than them understanding that they have ALL OF THEIR skin in this.

Some of those Youtubers have even expressed WHY they're donating, it's not a secret that some of them did it to protect the youtube community, they said so themselves when donating.

Even Leafy donated and everyone knows he's doing it so there's not a new status quo where Youtubers are being exhorted and suid left and right for all of their money.

You seem to think it's a bad idea to take this to court and not settle but if they settled, it still sets another bad precedent.

Is it a shit sitatuon all around? Yeah, it is, but E&H shouldn't roll over and let Bold Guy steal their money. Not just for them personally but for the whole of Youtube.

Top Bottom