• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

PsychBat!

Banned
tumblr_o7u4d205Bw1sc27euo1_1280.png

Maedhros

Even Joe Dick-pic Salads is with them... I'll be damned,

This reaction is freaking great, Subbed to many new channels these days because of it.

I'm not going to lie, my 5 minutes of Matt Hoss research makes him come off as a narcissistic douchebag that has the skin thinner than Trump's.

More research is needed? Or accurate?

JayDub

Does Hila have some sort of speech impediment? Surprised that a channel dedicated to making fun of others would feature her talking in any capacity.

Maximo

Does Hila have some sort of speech impediment? Surprised that a channel dedicated to making fun of others would feature her talking in any capacity.

Shes not a native English speaker dude..
Wiki also: "Hila is extremely camera shy, but has made progress on battling it."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, just caught up with all the new drama.

I'm not a huge fan of H3H3, but he seems like good people, and this lawsuit is absolute horseshit on every level. Was certainly enough to earn them a subscribe.

What I find kinda surprising though, is that if this will cost $100k for the entire trial for H3H3, then it'll also be the same for the Bold Douche. Surprised he has that kinda scratch laying around with only 170k subscribers.

edit: Look at this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqIg4d5MeBM

So utterly cringey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCQz5DXngOw

Oh hey, that's CSUN. (Also cringey)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The Kleins have a fan base of more than two million subscribers between their two channels, and in three years have published more than 300 comedy videos, which they say bring in revenue along with almost $6,000 a month in crowd-funded donations.

So they make roughly $72k/yr. with 2 million subscribers? That's...not as much as I figured they would. :/

Aiii

So not worth it
So they make roughly $72k/yr. with 2 million subscribers? That's...not as much as I figured they would. :/

They make 72k from donations, that doesn't account for what YouTube pays them out of the partner program and what they make from the views themselves.

There's definitely a few people who've gotten rich off Youtube, but I think more often than not people vastly over-estimate how much money popular personalities make off the site.

that's just patreon, we don't know how much they make on youtube, they said they get enough to live without patreon, so i assume it's around double that.

There's definitely a few people who've gotten rich off Youtube, but I think more often than not people vastly over-estimate how much money popular personalities make off the site.

i wouldn't say that because you get a ton of opportunities if you are popular on youtube, you have millions of viewers under the age of 25, that's an audience advertisers dream of.

I'm not a fan of H3H3 but I applaud them for being so open about this and I hope they succeed. But the trick is to get some changes made on YouTube regarding fair use. YouTube can't be allowed to just stick their head in the sand and pretend that this is only a legal battle between two channels, the problem is way bigger than that. Then hopefully channels (both big and small *please*) won't have to be in constant fear of these ridiculous copyright claims.

Also, sorry if this has been addressed already, but I thought YouTube had a program to help big channels fight their fair use lawsuits. Did H3H3 not qualify for that program or something? I know Jim Sterling is in it and he's way smaller than them, so are the channels that get that protection hand picked?

Starviper

Glad to see H3H3's defense fund has surpassed it's original goal so quickly. FUPA's for all; and hopefully better rules on YouTube for Copyright.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm not a fan of H3H3 but I applaud them for being so open about this and I hope they succeed. But the trick is to get some changes made on YouTube regarding fair use. YouTube can't be allowed to just stick their head in the sand and pretend that this is only a legal battle between two channels, the problem is way bigger than that. Then hopefully channels (both big and small *please*) won't have to be in constant fear of these ridiculous copyright claims.

Also, sorry if this has been addressed already, but I thought YouTube had a program to help big channels fight their fair use lawsuits. Did H3H3 not qualify for that program or something? I know Jim Sterling is in it and he's way smaller than them, so are the channels that get that protection hand picked?

The email they got from YouTube basically said they did all they could do and that they were on their own if it came to a trial. I don't think there's any clear indication of what YouTube looks at before defending people.

edit: also, I was under the impression Jim had hired his own lawyer, did Google appoint him one or something?

Froli

that's just patreon, we don't know how much they make on youtube, they said they get enough to live without patreon, so i assume it's around double that.

Sungha Jung made an AMA and answered that question regarding views and rough estimate how much he earns per video

[–]jarjack 43 points 4 days ago

how much money do you make from youtube views?

[–]Sungha_Jung 87 points 4 days ago

Roughly $1-5k. Some videos get 50k views, while others get 1M.

The email they got from YouTube basically said they did all they could do and that they were on their own if it came to a trial. I don't think there's any clear indication of what YouTube looks at before defending people.

edit: also, I was under the impression Jim had hired his own lawyer, did Google appoint him one or something?

No, the lawsuit against Jim right now has nothing to do with fair use because the lawsuit only claims defamation, loss of revenue and other stuff (also it's mostly about an article he wrote, not a video), so the YouTube "Fair Use Protection Program" didn't kick in. He did have to hire his own lawyer.

I've rewatched Jim's video about the program and I can't understand why H3H3 wouldn't qualify for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-UgOXP82UI It's supposed to give up to $1,000,000 in legal protection. Again, unless it's by invitation only which could very well be the case. Or maybe YouTube has to deem individual videos as protected, but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Apt101

I'm happy they're going to have their legal fees paid for, and it will end up a wash for the plaintiff regardless. It must be an immense weight off their shoulders. Devoting the leftover funds to others that may need it is classy.

Top Bottom