• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ha - how dare you count out the GBA. It will sell more than the DS and PSP!

UFC PRIDE

If these numbers hold true and the DS is $180 and PSP upwards of $300 - I guaran-damn-tee it will outsell BOTH of the systems. I can't believe so many people are counting out the GBA, a system that is STILL the highest selling in the world - and I'm sure when June NPD comes out will be higher than the PS2 with the classic NES series. Things the GBA still has going for it, upon the launch of both systems:

- Price: It should be significantly cheaper than either system - and really cheaper if Nintendo decides to drop the price.

- Classic: More NES Classic game should be coming, and June's NPD should show that ld school is a big seller.

- Big hits: Yes there's still many big hits - and the drug known as Pokemon has been yet to be released here, which wil once again sell millions for Nintendo, with ANOTHER one coming to Japan this year. And there still remains Zelda, Mario Pinball, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, among many others.

The Game Boy Advance is far from a pushover, and its price compared to other handhelds will become a great advantage - especially if games are also upwards of $50.

Given that the PSP won't be out until 2005, it will be interesting.

On launch the PSP could sell more on a monthly basis. When you get close to the holidays, the DS will have been out for a year and the GBA may be day old bread with limited appeal. Especially if the DS drops enough in price.

When the GBA came out the GBColor just died completely despite a significant price difference. After a year, who knows?

I do expect the GBA to have another stellar Christmas this year, though.

UFC PRIDE

The GBA and GBC were similar in price though, both $100 and under. Your talking about systems that could be 3-5 times as much as GBA when all said and done. GBA is much more liekly to have the price drop to $70 or $80 - plus has a ton more kiler games than GBC ever had - even just on its FUTURE release list right now.

Alcibiades

sonycowboy said:
Given that the PSP won't be out until 2005, it will be interesting.

On launch the PSP could sell more on a monthly basis. When you get close to the holidays, the DS will have been out for a year and the GBA may be day old bread with limited appeal. Especially if the DS drops enough in price.

When the GBA came out the GBColor just died completely despite a significant price difference. After a year, who knows?

I do expect the GBA to have another stellar Christmas this year, though.

$129 GBA vs. $69 GBC

is very different from

$99 SP. (maybe even $79) vs. $199 DS/PSP...

jarrod

Banned
GBA launched at $79.99 in the US. That was the MSRP (dropped from an announced $89.99 before release). GBC & GBP both launched at the same price iirc.... the original GB and GBA SP launched at $99.99 though.

Alcibiades

woops...

well, then it even make my point more clear

$99 GBA vs. $69 GBC

is very different from

$99 SP vs. $199 DS/PSP

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
not in the long term. the software's already drying up, and gba wouldn't be the first dominant console to peter out when the next generation arrived. i'd love to see the gba beat out the ridiculous ds and redundant psp. but i don't expect to.

edit: i don't mean that psp or ds will ultimately exceed the gba's userbase; just that the gba will suffer from the arrival of new portables.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Actually GBC had quite a few significant releases in the year after GBA's launch. Zelda Oracle of Ages/Season, Dragon Warrior III, Dragon Warrior Monsters II, Shantae, RE Gaiden, Lufia TLR, Pokemon Crystal and Hamtaro to name a few.

Alcibiades

jarrod said:
Actually GBC had quite a few significant releases in the year after GBA's launch. Zelda Oracle of Ages/Season, Dragon Warrior III, Dragon Warrior Monsters II, Shantae, RE Gaiden, Lufia TLR, Pokemon Crystal and Hamtaro to name a few.

Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons were released in May '01, dude, the month right before the release of GBA...

jarrod

Banned
efralope said:
Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons were released in May '01, dude, the month right before the release of GBA...
Eh, close enough. Playing GBC software on GBA was something Nintendo encouraged and marketed initially also. I remember DW3 coming out with a big fat "compatible with GBA" logo on it. I suspect DS/GBA will go similarly.

UFC PRIDE

Well we'll see - because Nintendo has said GBA and DS are two different beasts. People said 'Why, the DS plays GBA games' - and the only reason for this is price. I don't recall the GBC selling well before the GBA release - and I sure as hell didn't see it outselling EVERY OTHER CONSOLE like the GBA is.

bionic77

GBASP > DS, PSP, GC, PS2, and XBOX

I hope the DS and PSP both flop big time so handheld stays true and 2D. I could care less about the PSP, I can play all of those games on the PS2 or on the PS3 with better graphics. SP is the only game in town if you want to get kickass original 2D content. The DS looks too gimmicky for my tastes and again it is 3D so SP wins again.

yeah, the GBA launched at $99.99 MSRP.. tho i too got mine on sale for $89.99 .. i forgot what store, but it was when i was in Atlanta in August that year...

Top Bottom