• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 1

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Question. Are all incarnations of Half-Life available on some form or another on the PC? And if so, are they all wrapped up in one or two bundles? Thanks in advance. I'm considering getting into Half-Life, and would love to just be able to go and purchase one or two bundles and have them all in one neat package.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Yes there are multiple Half Life bundles that include some or all of the expansions (and Counter Stike).

I just want to add that Valve plans on releasing a Source updated version of the original game at some point. I've heard some say that it will be available with the game (akin to CounterStrike source) and others say that it will take quite a while for it to come out on Steam.

epmode

buy the cheapest version of half-life you can find (just make sure it still has a cd key. ie unopened.)

once you have a valid cd key, download steam, enter the key, and every major half-life mod and expansion is free for download.

alternatively, you can just buy half-life through steam.

Mejilan

But it'd be nice to have them on disc too, right? I suppose a good plan, for me, would be to get the most robust bundle available from eb or gs or amazon, and then Steam it up to speed, right?

Thank you.

epmode

Mejilan said:
But it'd be nice to have them on disc too, right? I suppose a good plan, for me, would be to get the most robust bundle available from eb or gs or amazon, and then Steam it up to speed, right?

Thank you.
one nice thing about steam is that each game/mod is stored on your hard drive as a single cache file. easily burned to cd. and if you ever lose the disc, you can just download the game again. if you remember your steam login and password, you won't ever need your cd key again.

Yusaku

Heh, I dusted off my 1998 HL 1 CD and tried to register it on Steam, only to find out some warez kid already generated my key or something. So I mailed Valve my jewel case to reset the key, not so much because I wanted to play HL1, just to piss off the douchebag who stole my key.

Mejilan

So, as far as offiicial expansions go:

Half-Life
Opposing Force
Team Fortress Classic
Team Fortress 1.5
Counter Strike
Counter Strike: Condition Zero
Blue Shift

Is that about it?

epmode

there's also day of defeat, riccochet, codename gordon and deatchmatch classic.

blue shift (the expansion with the hi-def pack) is not compatible with steam, and likely won't be integrated until after half-life 2 is released.

Yusaku

Codename Gordon is a totally sepereate game, it doesn't require HL1 at all. You can just register Steam with no HL key and download it.

Mejilan

Half-life PS2. New game, or a port? Any good? Team Fortress 2 ever come out? Last update on their website is like 3 years old... :eek:

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mejilan said:
Port? Then unnecessary if I get the PC version. Thanks.

It does have coop, but I would assume there is a mod out there for PC

epmode

Mejilan said:
Team Fortress 2 ever come out?
sadly, no. valve has been very stingy with tf2 information, and we almost certainly won't hear anything about it until after half-life 2 is released.

and yes, there is a co-op mod for half-life: sven co-op

Mejilan

Picked up CS Condition Zero as well. Installed it, but won't show up in my games list on Steam. Any reason for that? The CD Key field on the jewel case is blank, and I can't find a key in any of the documentation. Was purchased brand new from Amazon.com, btw.

Top Bottom