• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wake up and smell the ashes. Half-Life: Alyx is on 66% discount right now, just in time for the imminent PSVR2 support (for PC)

Hudo

The worst thing about Half-Life Alyx is that ends at exactly the same point where Epsiode 2 ended. So the Half-Life story timeline never moved forward beyond that.

Kupfer

Is it worth buying the psvr2 adapter, a bluetooth adapter and the game to play it on my 1070ti?

Three

Oh good question.

I wonder if anyone has examined the system load of PSVR2, compared to alternatives. The encoding used to transmit the video makes all the difference in the world -- when I was on an underpowered / baseline system playing Alyx years ago, the Oculus Link (direct connection) had a such a high drag on my system that the game was unplayable. But by switching to the super fast encoding of Virtual Desktop, it was a night and day difference.

So it's very possible that the PSVR2's adapter will bump up the system requirements of games dramatically if it isn't efficient.
There is no video encoding requirement on PSVR2, it's a direct HDMI connection to the adapter. Only Meta Quest requires it because it has no real video port.

hlm666

Is it worth buying the psvr2 adapter, a bluetooth adapter and the game to play it on my 1070ti?
Well you should be able to get it going at a viable level, as for is it worth jumping through those hoops I can't answer. I will say that once you played Alyx the problem is you can't get any other games at a comparable quality, there are alot of really good mods though as per my previous post.

Kupfer

Well you should be able to get it going at a viable level, as for is it worth jumping through those hoops I can't answer. I will say that once you played Alyx the problem is you can't get any other games at a comparable quality, there are alot of really good mods though as per my previous post.

I think that's too much effort & cost for me because I actually don't have enough power for the whole range of VR games, Alyx looks partly choppy in the video.
Maybe when I get a new PC at some point; in 10 years or so I'll pick up Alyx as a "retro" game then

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I'd be ordering the adapter to play it already but my PC is shit and I don't think it makes sense to play the game at this quality or framerate

JCK75

I'm going to pay attention to how well PSVR2 performs on PC.. my Girlfriends Son wants VR for Christmas this year and being he has a gaming PC and a PS5 it may be the perfect choice.

Top Bottom