• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People with VR motion sickness - have you found ways to manage?

I feel like I'm missing out on something I really want to get into, but don't want it to be for not if I get sick. Just looking for some opinions if anything can be done.
Play for 10 minutes every day, then turn it off. Don't wait until you start feeling sick because then it's too late.

Increase to 15, 20, etc etc. The only way to get over it is gradual, repeated exposure - there's no trick to it.

Karak

Bonine or other none blood-brain barrier over-the-counter med. Works amazing.
All other things from ginger to gum, didn't ever work neither did sitting through it and getting more accustomed as I got sick too fast. But with Bonine, I was able to play long enough to then get acclimatized. Sadly there are people who will never get accustomed to it even with small bursts. We got to work with VR companies making games and many times no specific thing worked across groups other than meds(as that makes some sense). And even with that sometimes they never could play without them.

Also yes fan can help some for SURE as discomfort can make things even worse.

Last edited:

Crayon

Some people will never get over it but I think most would by gentle conditioning. Play stationary games for short bursts and get used to playing vr without getting sick.

I had a little of it when I started, went almost completely away now. But there is the occasional game that suddenly gets me.

And don't be afraid of teleporting. I don't even get motion sick and I use it when available. Makes more sense to me. I can do everything physical in my limited play space, except "walk over there". So just skip that part. Also, snap turning is good as mostly you want to turn naturally. Both of these things are unfortunately associated with motion sickness and seen as compromises but not for me.

Chronos24

For me personally (I should note that motion sickness is bad for me) the worst thing was this...trying to play Resident evil 7 on psvr1 at the time i tried the teleport thing and it sucked. Then, I tried fluid motion but kept the camera sensitivity super low thinking if I turn slow it won't be bad. That actually made it worse for me and it literally made me sick. Finally I said fuck it and turned the camera sensitivity to 10 and it was like night and day. Could play hours without any discomfort at all!! Since then I've gotten the psvr2 and played so many other VR games sinc and I've never had another problem. Granted that's me, but I DID find a way to play without discomfort.

Top Bottom