• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a SteamBox to play Half Life 3 on Tv?

Would you?

• Total voters

nkarafo

Half-Life is not as important as it was 15 years ago. Is Valve even the same company it was when they made HL2? Are there even a handful of devs who worked on HL2 still active or in the company?

The hype has died a long time ago. Nobody cares anymore plus the expectations of the old fans are probably too unrealistic to be satisfied.

Majukun

steamboxes are the stupidest concept in the industry thus far after the OUYA

also if i wanna play on tv, i can just hook my laptop to the Tv

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Half-Life is not as important as it was 15 years ago. Is Valve even the same company it was when they made HL2? Are there even a handful of devs who worked on HL2 still active or in the company?

The hype has died a long time ago. Nobody cares anymore plus the expectations of the old fans are probably too unrealistic to be satisfied.
I think anyone who's played HL: Alyx thinks HL3 is possible and is moderately hyped about it.

Steambox failed, and it will fail again if Valve ever decides to make another one. The Steam deck is a success because it's portable. It offers PC gamers functionality they can't get from a desktop PC or even a laptop. A Steambox would do no such thing, it'd just be a shittier PC.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The framing of the question is bad. If it said "Would you as a non-PC owner buy a Steambox for HL3?", that'd be fine, but as you phrased it everyone thinks you mean HL3 would be exclusive to such a device. If that's what you actually meant? It's needlessly inflammatory because that's not how Valve operates. kneecapping what could have been a good topic right out of the gate and yes, everyone noticed the passive aggressive poke at the Xbox.

Anyway... Would I buy a Steambox? Nah, I have a great PC. However, I know plenty of friends that would buy one to their kids or for themselves in a heartbeat. I think there's a demand for a console form factor PC with basic expansion capability for one additional NVME and one 2.5/3.5" HD.
PCs like the atom or the universe is mostly empty space anyway.
Poking fun at Xbox isn't as fun as it used to be. Considering the current state of the market, I mentioned Xbox's name to point out that this might be the best time for Valve. There are many Pc gamers loves to play with their consoles sometimes as well, and I don't think it's a bad idea for them to put a console in their living rooms where they can play the same library instead of PS5 or Xbox, which are moving away from exclusive games. Portability is a huge plus too. The Steam Deck can't fulfill the same role because playing games at 30 FPS with 720p/FSR balanced isn't the same as playing at 60 FPS in 1080p/4K. Cramming that much power into such a small device would likely cause overheating issues too.

Half-Life 3 could perhaps be used as bait to attract console players who haven't played Half-Life on PC. It may not be considered as important as it once was, but the impact of Alyx is evident. Halo Infinite was chosen as the game of the year here, fueled by the hype generated by Halo fans, so I believe the hype created by Half-Life fans will be much more effective.

30% of voters so far are expecting such a device. Let's not forget that most people here didn't want the PS Portal either.

DAHGAMING

I will play it on the next Xbox as it will be a Xbox/PC hybrid to max out the power and be the best place to play the upcoming smash hit from Valve, Half Life 3 , finish the fight.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
which has gotten a taste of the console world with the Steam Deck, could enter the Steam Box business

facepalm_deja_q.jpg

Steam Deck is, gladly, nothing to do with console and Steam machines were already a thing, gladly, of the past.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I expect to drive floating cars when HL3 launches and by that time my apple mac ear will be powerfull enough to compute a VR bubble around my body

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
If I can run about as Gordon duel wielding Black Mesa's gravity gun and Aperture Science's portal gun, shooting radiators through portals I'll play it on the Ouya.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
No, i have zero trust in Valve. They are just greedy corporation
What's the alternative? Diy console? Valve is one of the best companies at what they do. A little bit of greed is essential for corporations to survive. It's a business in the end.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
We're the ones who know best why a steam console would be a huge advancement
And why would that be? I have my PC plugged to my TV and don't see the reason for a Steam console at all.

PC is about freedom and options, and I can imagine an hypotetical pre-made, branded PC lacking on some of those options.

ElFenomeno

If that would be the only way to play it...probably yes. Then sell it.
The game would also have to be a non VR game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
facepalm_deja_q.jpg

Steam Deck is, gladly, nothing to do with console and Steam machines were already a thing, gladly, of the past.
I would say "you realize a lot has changed since then?" But I can already see that the answer is clearly No.

There already is a version of Steam machine known as Bazzite and Chimera that runs a PC.

It's fucking amazing, but is limited to AMD. It works incredibly well for turning a PC high end PC into a console.

There is DEFINITELY a market for it.

I for one, cannot wait to get rid of WIndows completely.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I would say "you realize a lot has changed since then?" But I can already see that the answer is clearly No.

There already is a version of Steam machine known as Bazzite and Chimera that runs a PC.

It's fucking amazing, but is limited to AMD. It works incredibly well for turning a PC high end PC into a console.

There is DEFINITELY a market for it.

I for one, cannot wait to get rid of WIndows completely.
Bazzite and Chimera are OSs, not Steam machines.

HogIsland

And why would that be? I have my PC plugged to my TV and don't see the reason for a Steam console at all.

PC is about freedom and options, and I can imagine an hypotetical pre-made, branded PC lacking on some of those options.
#1 desktop GPUs don't support HDMI-CEC
#2 turning on a PC via a gamepad mostly doesn't work
#3 theres no low power state for downloading game/system updates

A steam console isn't taking away your option to have a worse experience so I don't get the argument.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Depends on what a Steambox is? Is it a console that I can play all games from Steam (except Playstation and Xbox I assume?) that costs £500 or less?

Sure. Maybe? I'd need more information, but it sounds promising.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Most of steams *advancements* in the last 5-10 years are making a PC-based console viable. Steam Input, Big Picture Mode, proton/SteamOS, video recording, etc.
Nothing of those advancements was anything to do with console or not. Video recording??? Rly???

LordOfChaos

1) HL3 isn't happening, I've killed the hope in my heart

2) Steam boxes aren't strategically important for Valve, if anything it would be a VR exclusive like Alyx again. They tried boxes before and largely failed, the Deck was more successful for it being able to do something different, run your PC games portably. Steam Deck exclusive makes no sense either as that runs Steam games which are largely PC games.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

#1 desktop GPUs don't support HDMI-CEC
#2 turning on a PC via a gamepad mostly doesn't work
#3 theres no low power state for downloading game/system updates
I'd rather have all the options a normal PC gives me over such insignificant things as those.

A steam console isn't taking away your option to have a worse experience so I don't get the argument.
"A worse experience"? Lol, ok dude.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I can connect my Steam Deck to my TV using the Genki covert dock I bought for my Switch. I currently see no need for a Steam box. If valve released one I might consider it but not because of HL3.

StereoVsn

I have a SteamBox hooked up to my TV already. It’s called a PC. I even have an SSD with Linux in there so I can dual boot.

So no, I don’t need another box for HL3. Now, let’s talk about Steam Deck 2 with RDNA4 instead!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Try to wrap your mind around the idea that people like to buy set top boxes to play videogames in their living room without a lot of PC hassles/troubleshooting.
Still not a "guaranteed" worse experience.

Last edited:

Parazels

We don't even have Half Life 1 (!) on the modern consoles, and only very obsolete Half Life 2.
At first Valve should refresh the old games.

We don't even have Half Life 1 (!) on the modern consoles, and only very obsolete Half Life 2.
At first Valve should refresh the old games.
They should definitely do HD remasters or remakes and see how well received they are. And if they do well, they should make the third one. One of their biggest excuses is that it's just been too long since HL2 came out for them to make HL3. That didn't stop them from making Alyx on VR.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
Nobody is going to buy a steambox. We had steamboxes and they failed. Idk why we need a thread every day about this.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Nobody is going to buy a steambox. We had steamboxes and they failed. Idk why we need a thread every day about this.

They failed because there were so many of them and in different configurations. Additionally, Steam OS wasn't convincing enough in those years. It wouldn't be surprising for them to try again at a time when linux game support is at its peak. If they release 1 or 2 (base+pro?) Valve-supported products like the Steam Deck, we will see a different picture. The fact that there's a new discussion about it every day could also suggest there is demand in the market.

LMAO the same people saying "Half Life 3 is not important anymore" were the same people begging Valve to put HL:A on PSVR2. Quite simply put... Playstation fanboys say every single game series that isn't on Playstation isn't important anymore because they're butthurt these games aren't focused on their platform "pie_tears_joy:

As for the question of the topic... of course not.. because everyone already owns PCs.. which connect to TVs just fine. All the best selling games, and surprise hits of the past couple years have been primarily PC games. There's no need to buy Steam Machines.. however it's impressive that such an amount of people would. Just shows you how awesome Steam and Valve are. B)

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It will be powerful, offer out-of-the-box stable performance, be small-sized, easy to transfer, and have a strong library... just for 800-1000 dollars(or 500-600 for base version)?

Imagine if it took Xbox's position and sold 50 to 60 million units.

You’re not selling 60 million of those at $1000 prices

Top Bottom