• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2: Episode Three speculation

MNC

Frenck said:
HL2 is pretty much a stand alone game. Most of the questions you probably have about HL2's plot aren't answered by the first HL. It could have been a new IP if Valve hadn't used the HL name and some familiar characters. Some fans tried to connect the dots but that has a bit of a fanfiction ring to it.
Episode Two especially is pointing back towards Half Life 1 alot.

Frenck

Banned
MNC said:
Episode Two especially is pointing back towards Half Life 1 alot.

I really like that. Valve should bring back some classic weapons too. HL2's arsenal is just boring in comparison to the first game. I want mines, alien critters and funny laser guns.

Sciz

Oh hey, this thread. I still need to get around to posting my Ep. 2 shots. :lol

And this could mean late 2009, given the parameters, but early 2010 is probably more likely. :(

Frenck said:
I really like that. Valve should bring back some classic weapons too. HL2's arsenal is just boring in comparison to the first game. I want mines, alien critters and funny laser guns.
I agree. I'm really getting bored of HL2's combat when it comes to shooting guns. I hope they'll spice things up with better ai and more variety.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think it won't be this gen. Much like how Half-Life 2 was mindblowing when unveiled in 2003 using techniques later available on 2005-2006 consoles, I believe the reason we have seen nothing is that they are building it to be truly next gen. The HL2 engine is very dated now and Valve is no longer seen as the graphics pioneer it once was.

I believe this will change in a year.

Blizzard

Banned
But having it be revealed that Gordon was actually mute this entire time, and giving him a chance to communicate with some people who speak sign language? Personally, I think that would be brilliant.

What do you guys think?
I think that it would be kind of silly for Gordon to be a brilliant scientist who wasn't smart enough to think of writing notes on a pad and handing them to people in order to communicate, if say, he hadn't yet learned sign language in HL2.

ArjanN

What do you guys think?

I'm sure that sign language thing was more because Valve is big on accessebility options. (Half-Life 2 has a seperate closed caption option for the subtitles etc)

Gordon being a mute seems more like a retcon.

From the NPC reactions it's implied that Gordon does speak but the player just doesn't hear it.

I think it won't be this gen. Much like how Half-Life 2 was mindblowing when unveiled in 2003 using techniques later available on 2005-2006 consoles, I believe the reason we have seen nothing is that they are building it to be truly next gen. The HL2 engine is very dated now and Valve is no longer seen as the graphics pioneer it once was.

I believe this will change in a year.

Doubtful IMO.
A big reason for the success of Valve games is that, like Blizzard games, they run on very moderate PCs, which means that audience is much bigger. It's much more likely they've just been busy focusing on their other games with HL being more on the backburner.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's really intriguing since clearly the HL team has been doing something for the last 5 years. I don't think they have been assigned to other games on any larger scale. Like for any 5+ years project, that means they probably had at least one false start. Starting to do an Episode 3 and canning it. But even going by the most pessimistic scenario, HL3 must have been in full dev for a minimum of 2 years already. Given a 2013 release it will have a solid 4-5 years of development. Should be amazing.

Blizzard

Banned
Also...anyone who read "The Final Hours of Portal 2", you'll remember how they talked about "F-Stop", that apparently had some really intriguing gameplay ideas that they were originally going to put into "Portal 2-Without-Portals". He specifically mentions that he can't talk about the F-Stop gameplay mechanics, since Valve was going to use them in a future game. I'm really curious as to what it was, and if it will come into play in HL3.

I thought that the designer who came up with F-Stop gameplay ideas got mad at Valve and quit (one of the very few people who have quit Valve)?

Oreoleo

I thought that the designer who came up with F-Stop gameplay ideas got mad at Valve and quit (one of the very few people who have quit Valve)?

I think you are confusing that for Kim Swift, who was one of the people who came up with Narbacular Drop. She left Valve after they removed some of the more advanced/twitch mechanics from Portal 2 that she had been working on, IIRC.

Sciz

Oh hey, this thread. I still need to get around to posting my Ep. 2 shots. :lol

And this could mean late 2009, given the parameters, but early 2010 is probably more likely. :(

I have to laugh at the naivete of my younger self, because it's the only way to avoid crying.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Finish out HL2 with Episode 3, and then make a proper Half-Life 3. By that I mean, GMan once again has Gordon showing up in another conflict, which doesn't revolve around the Combine.

It is really strange to think we got Half-Life 2, Source Engine, and Steam in less time than it took to get three HL2 Episodes out. Portal has at least been a worthy way to bide time.

ArjanN

Can you give an example? I can't think of any instances where it's implied that Gordon said anything.

concerned174.jpg

Also, I think a lot of the scenes where someone is talking at you don't really make much sense if Gordon was just standing there stonefaced. He'd look like a complete sociopath.

Originally he was clearly just a silent protagonist which became a little weird in HL2 because there was much more interaction with NPCs. Valve then played off that when Alyx says stuff like "Man of few words, aren't you?".

I wouldn't be a huge retcon but it's pretty clear he wasn't supposed to be a mute from the start. It's kind of like saying Gordon has telekinetic powers because he can control the steering wheel of his car without using his hands.

gabbo

concerned174.jpg

Also, I think a lot of the scenes where someone is talking at you don't really make much sense if Gordon was just standing there stonefaced. He'd look like a complete sociopath.

Originally he was clearly just a silent protagonist which became a little weird in HL2 because there was much more interaction with NPCs. Valve then played off that when Alyx says stuff like "Man of few words, aren't you?".

I wouldn't be a huge retcon but it's pretty clear he wasn't supposed to be a mute from the start. It's kind of like saying Gordon has telekinetic powers because he can control the steering wheel of his car without using his hands.

If they need to, they could probably pawn it off as a side effect of stasis. He was there for a good chunk of time between games. There are of course those (idle thumbs) who suggest that Gordon is a sociopath. I've never cared about his lack of speaking really. I was doing enough of it aloud while playing.

akira28

Damn me for spending so much time on the first few pages and getting excited without looking at the post dates... "Episode 3 in 6 months? HELL YEAH...wait...2010..but this is...NO"

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Gordon has some extremely expressive eyebrows.

Top Bottom