• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 = GOTY.

Andy787

Banned
It is truth.

Discuss.

tadakichi.jpg
tadakichi.jpg
tadakichi.jpg
tadakichi.jpg
tadakichi.jpg
tadakichi.jpg
tadakichi.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reasonably sure Half life 2 is being discussed already. ON THIS VERY FORUM.

Lhadatt

Teh Andy is right. The first half-hour had more atmosphere, detail and storytelling than I've encountered so far in Halo 2 (a few hours in) or any other game I've played this year. Given that there's got to be someone who's finished it by now and we've not heard any outcry, I think proclaiming GOTY is a safe bet.

DSN2K

DopeyFish said:
Halo 2 is goty. Half-Life 2 is great, but not Halo 2 great.

after playing both I dont agree, Halo 2's multiplayer might be good but its single player has nothing on Half Life 2. NOTHING.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh wow physics! graphics! pretty! :eek:

I forgot... we aren't supposed to choose the best game of the year on the best mix of everything... but physics and graphics!

I'm still waiting for my health to go below 50 o_O

sscrew

Half Life 2 is without doubt GOTY. I loved Halo 2, but the story wasnt anywhere near what Half Life 2 is.... within 10minutes i was hooked to HL2, and if it wasnt for work, i'd be there playing it at this very moment...

Bebpo said:
1st Vehicle level in HL2 >> All the time spent in vehicles in all of H2.
You have got to be kidding. THe first few minutes when you are ramming guys and flying over jumps and such was a blast, but after the 4th time of having to hop out and take out some of the lackluster AI grunts just so I could open a damn I was begining to get tired of it.

Don't even get me started on the buggy.. worst waste of time ever.

TheDuce22

Banned
What is it with all this is all backlash from the fact that Halo was rated higher by Ign and gamespot. They are both great games, get over it.

segasonic said:
There are grunts in HL2? GOTY!
:lol
No, I guess i should specify considering the two games we are contrasting. I meant the Combine soldiers. They have the intelligence of Grunts though.. Storm your position when you are well defended with a shotgun! Weee! Only now are they starting to toss an occasional gernade to flush me out.

Seriously.. they line up to be shot. So far the most I've had to work my brain while facing these guys is, hm.. should I bother with the ammo or use the gravity gun to fling things at them?

The puzzels are nice, definately using the Havok engine well for those, but they seem to be a little too often. Maybe I'm just expecting more action... It just seems like right when the action is getting good everything comes to a screeching halt for me to load the next scene, or I have to solve some random puzzel that involves moving boxes.

I will admit though, the magnetic crane thing rocked hardcore.

Don't get me wrong, I would easily say GOTY for the PC, but unless the later stages ramp up with difficulty and such, its not GOTY Overall. I don't know what is, but I would not put this in the top running.

Lhadatt

Andy787 said:
This is correct.
Of course it's correct. You doubt my powah?

Halo 2 is an overcooked turkey, stuffed with inspiration and genius -- which makes it a frustrating mess. The multiplay is nicely implemented, but seems more UT-ish (not a bad thing overall, but I'm not fond of UT right now). I want the Halo 1 style back. :( As for the single-player... It's OK, but it seems to be an above-average story with "OMFG THIS IS SO COOL" moments where the developer geekasmed, but it lacks polish. Point: the texture popup. I can stand a bit of loading if the final product looks coherant and not something I'd expect from a game that hasn't had 3+ years to sort itself out.

HL2 > Halo 2, end of story.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Mercury said:
You have got to be kidding. THe first few minutes when you are ramming guys and flying over jumps and such was a blast, but after the 4th time of having to hop out and take out some of the lackluster AI grunts just so I could open a damn I was begining to get tired of it.

It's the variety that made it so great. You have
powersliding through corners, taking ramps, dodging mines and bullet, cruising through city blocks, getting off and doing puzzles, getting off and doing intense on-foot action vs. people, turret guns, helicopters. Then you having mowing down enemies, and taking on a boss.
Seriously the vehicle sections in H2 were fun but they weren't that interesting. Drive next to a base/group of enemies/ship and take it out drive forward a little more and repeat, repeat again, etc...Whereas the first vehicle section in HL2 was able to throw enough fresh ideas at you to keep an almost
2 hour
chase scene exciting...that's quite an amazing feat IMO and was the most fun I've had in any vehicle sequence in any game to date.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DSN2K said:
after playing both I dont agree, Halo 2's multiplayer might be good but its single player has nothing on Half Life 2. NOTHING.

Never thought I'd ever use this GAF-ism, but...

IAWTP

Bebpo said:
IWhereas the first vehicle section in HL2 was able to throw enough fresh ideas at you to keep an almost
2 hour
chase scene exciting...that's quite an amazing feat IMO and was the most fun I've had in any vehicle sequence in any game to date.

I guess my problem was with the spoiler. But I guess that is just a matter of taste. Like I said, I enjoyed it to begin with, but for me, it got old. The variety was played out after two rounds of : Drive over this jump, dodge these mines, slam these guys, now get out and open this dam. It was the same process minus the little battle at the end which was also a joke in terms of AI. (Sit still and let the thing come to you seems to work far to well in this game.)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I would much rather be driving a Warthog through the highway tunnels of Earth.

FartOfWar

Banned
DopeyFish said:
oh wow physics! graphics! pretty! :eek:

I forgot... we aren't supposed to choose the best game of the year on the best mix of everything... but physics and graphics!

You've shown your hand. Scooter hasn't played HL 2.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So far each area just gets better and better. Ravenholm may be one of the most gruesome levels I've seen in a game. Car goes up, car comes DOWN. :lol

Wait for the black poison headcrabs.

Funniest part for me so far:

See a sniper laser, pick up a grenade. Can't can't an angle to shoot him, so I throw a grenade up into the window. One second later... "Oh shit!"

ManaByte

Gold Member
Game of the decade. Nothing else comes close to Half Life 2. I bought it via Steam and was in Best Buy today and saw Vampire and Metroid Prime 2, both games I want to play badly, but I couldn't bring myself to pick them up just yet as the perfection of Half-Life 2 shouldn't be interrupted at the moment. :) It is going to be hell putting aside MGS3 until I finish HL2.

Kuroyume

Banned
Game of the decade... LOL The stupid thing was released today (right?) and without even finishing the game it's already the game of the decade. LOL

DSN2K said:
I've come to that conclusion as well, HALO fanboys have every reason to worry.

Mooreberg said:
See a sniper laser, pick up a grenade. Can't can't an angle to shoot him, so I throw a grenade up into the window. One second later... "Oh shit!"

Agreed, sort of. It was cool the first time, but after getting sniped by the following sniper and seeing the exact same situation play out I realized just how scripted it was. Kind of lost some of it charm then.

Also, when you do make it to the next sniper you realize that you just can't see him. It's a black window, there was never any chance for you to shoot him. I would have at least liked to have had the opportunity instead of being forced to follow the games scripted path.

This is the first game that since I was a kid I've gone back and played sequences I've already beaten, just because they kick so much ass. I'm in the middle of Ravenholm right now, but I find myself going back to see things like Dog and the intro...its just so well done.

GOTY. Easily. Nothing touches it. The GS score had me underestimating how great this game would be...

Yeah I agree with everyone, the game freaking rox. The gunfights are very intense. The music is great, all the physics puzzles I have encountered so far rock. Awesome frame rate, the atmosphere is great.

GOTY easily

firex

hell no, at least on hard the AI is really good. Even better than the original HL (which has better AI than either halo game).

firex said:
hell no, at least on hard the AI is really good. Even better than the original HL (which has better AI than either halo game).

I'll have to try it on Hard, but on Normal? There is just no way that you can think Halo 2's AI is not above HL2 AI. I'll report back later with it on Hard, but call me skeptical.

border

People who proclaimed HL2 to be GOTY before they even played it continue to call it GOTY after having played it.

Wow. The surprises never stop.

firex

at least on hard, even the headcrab zombies flank me and work cooperatively. combine soldiers are just as good as HL's grunt AI, but the open areas don't always let them do the same tricks the grunts did in HL.

firex

sorry, but HL's grunts act smarter than any of the covenant in either halo game. HL2's combine soldiers and the new stuff like manhacks, gunships, the choppers and so on act even smarter than HL's grunts. the only AI that isn't as good is the friendly AI, which isn't nearly as bad as HL's friendlies and much more like other soldiers in call of duty.

firex said:
sorry, but HL's grunts act smarter than any of the covenant in either halo game. HL2's combine soldiers and the new stuff like manhacks, gunships, the choppers and so on act even smarter than HL's grunts. the only AI that isn't as good is the friendly AI, which isn't nearly as bad as HL's friendlies and much more like other soldiers in call of duty.

:lol

Top Bottom