• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 Retail :(

Bregor

An internet connection is part of the minimum system requirements. If your PC doesn't have an internet connection, it doesn't meet the requirements. End of story.

(And lets be realistic, how many people will have a PC with a good enough CPU and vid card, but no internet connection?)

The need for an internet connection and the lack of a manual have both been known about for weeks now, so if it comes as a surprise to you, you haven't been paying attention.

snapty00

Banned
Bregor said:
The need for an internet connection and the lack of a manual have both been known about for weeks now, so if it comes as a surprise to you, you haven't been paying attention.
I'm sorry if we don't all eat, breathe, and live Half-Life 2 24/7.

Mr_Furious said:
MOTHERFUCKER!!?!??#!?$?$!?$?!?!$?!$?!$

I'm not online at home and haven't been for a while so no sale for me!

JEEZUSFUCKINKRIST, VALVE AND THEIR FUCKING BULLSHIT! FUCK THEM AND THEIR FUCKING HALF-LIFE2 AND THEIR FUCKING STEAM!!#$!##!!!#!$!$!$!!#!#

Yes, I'm just a little pissed I won't be able to play HL2 now, incase you didn't notice!
WELL THAT ABOUT WRAPS IT UP FOR VALVE!

Oni Jazar

You buy me a fucking modem. Valve was quite successful using the "middleman" in the past so why try to fuck them here. It is possible for companies to have a good relationship with their publishers. Valve is saying 'fuck you' to me for not registering through Steam, an online service, to play an offline game.

You can't see the benefits of eliminating the publisher from a producer/consumer relationship? I don't see how you can call them evil greedy bastards when they're sticking their neck waaay out on the line for a delivery system like this. Most any other development house would get annihilated for even thinking of something like this. I think it's brave and risky and I think it will eventually be the future of game distribution.

If you have any kind of half way decent computer you should have either a modem or NIC port. All you have to do is activate it ONCE and you can play offline as many times as you want.

Not only that but you should be able to go to any computer with internet access, get steam and you can play HL2 on that machine as well.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Bregor said:
(And lets be realistic, how many people will have a PC with a good enough CPU and vid card, but no internet connection?)

I don't know. But I do know that there's already one person on this forum (ie. on a gaming forum on the internet) who's in that situation, so I imagine there'll be quite a lot of people.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Oni Jazar said:
You can't see the benefits of eliminating the publisher from a producer/consumer relationship? I don't see how you can call them evil greedy bastards when they're sticking their neck waaay out on the line for a delivery system like this. Most any other development house would get annihilated for even thinking of something like this. I think it's brave and risky and I think it will eventually be the future of game distributing.

If you have any kind of half way decent computer you should have either a modem or NIC port. All you have to do is activate it ONCE and you can play offline as many times as you want.

Not only that but you should be able to go to any computer with internet access, get steam and you can play HL2 on that machine as well.

Maybe I'm missing something, I haven't been following that closely, but what does steam and the non-boxed version have to do with buying the retail version and playing without having to be online? Why can't there be both?

epmode

avoiding this game because you don't like the way valve does business is insanity. if it was any other game, i might sympathize.. but it's half-life 2, for god's sake.
Mama Smurf said:
Maybe I'm missing something, I haven't been following that closely, but what does steam and the non-boxed version have to do with buying the retail version and playing without having to be online? Why can't there be both?
i don't understand this either. hl2 will be cracked within days of release, even with this online authentication.. why punish the few people without internet access?

Seth C

Bregor said:
An internet connection is part of the minimum system requirements. If your PC doesn't have an internet connection, it doesn't meet the requirements. End of story.

Well, I certainly haven't been paying attention, and for good reason. I absolutely do not care about this game.

Bregor

epmode said:
avoiding this game because you don't like the way valve does business is insanity. if it was any other game, and i might sympathize.. but it's half-life 2, for god's sake.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't want to play, they don't have to.

Oni Jazar

Mama Smurf said:

Biggest reason I would say is to prevent piracy.

Well, I certainly haven't been paying attention, and for good reason. I absolutely do not care about this game.

Then why are you here?

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I really don't mind what Valve is doing with Half Life 2. They're giving us all a nice break with the Silver Package and I think we should all be pretty pleased with it, it's a great deal. I think that's what I'll be purchasing, since I don't really need a Half Life 2 box lying around my house anyway.

And yah, PC games truly do rock

Hell, steam is a pretty good invention by Valve. By controlling how people install and play their games, they can really limit piracy, something that was rampant with the first Half Life and Counter-Strike. I won't lie, I too am a man guilty of pirating Counter-Strike once before, and it was easy as sin. Not anymore though...

Vieo

I don't mind having to activate it like the way you do with WindowsXP, but if I buy the retail version, bring it home, pop it in and find myself having to download some 20MB+ file right out the box or not being able to play singleplayer offline, I'm never bothering with Valve again unless they decide to drop that Steam bs. I'm on dial-up here and I've got no options for broadband access.

Mike Works said:
WELL THAT ABOUT WRAPS IT UP FOR VALVE!
For me it does :p But I'm sure everyone at Valve will be losing tons of sleep over it.
Oni Jazar said:
You can't see the benefits of eliminating the publisher from a producer/consumer relationship? I don't see how you can call them evil greedy bastards when they're sticking their neck waaay out on the line for a delivery system like this. Most any other development house would get annihilated for even thinking of something like this. I think it's brave and risky and I think it will eventually be the future of game distribution.

See the previous threads about Steam for my feelings on it. I don't feel like repeating myself here. Not to be rude, I'm just tired. Everytime I have to install the game (for whatever reason) I'll need to reactivate through Steam. What if Valve doesn't exist 5 years from now (hypothetical but it can happen)? What would I do then? BTW, I feel bad for all of the people that might've upgraded their systems recently to play HL2 that don't have internet access. I was going to be one of these people but luckily I waited till the last minute to upgrade. I guess I saved some money (trying to look at the bright side). Believe it or not, there are people out there with capable machines that don't have internet access. I don't have internet access at the moment but that shouldn't prevent me from being able to play an OFFLINE game.

epmode said:
avoiding this game because you don't like the way valve does business is insanity. if it was any other game, i might sympathize.. but it's half-life 2, for god's sake.i don't understand this either. hl2 will be cracked within days of release, even with this online authentication.. why punish the few people without internet access?

Makes sense to me to avoid HL2 if you refuse to use Steam. It's not like you have the choice. And yeah, it doesn't make sense to add this extra step that's supposed to prevent piracy, that'll end up getting circumvented anyways.

Hitokage said:
With Steam Silver being the best bang-for-buck package of HL2, they are.
If you think paying $60 for a download is Valve "passing on the savings" then, well, all I can say is that's your opinion. I think it's a rip off. Hell, the Bronze package is $50 which is the same price as retail, so how is this cheaper? Valve isn't doing shit but making me have to jump through more hoops so they can get richer. Are you a Valve employee by any chance? You're sure acting like one :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If you think paying $60 for a download is Valve "passing on the savings" then, well, all I can say is that's your opinion. I think it's a rip off. Hell, the Bronze package is $50 which is the same price as retail, so how is this cheaper? Valve isn't doing shit but making me have to jump through more hoops so they can get richer. Are you a Valve employee by any chance? You're sure acting like one :p
I said bang-for-buck, smart guy. Special retail is $80, but you get the same stuff in Silver for $60.

Hitokage said:
I said bang-for-buck, smart guy. Special retail is $80, but you get the same stuff in Silver for $60.
STEAM:
▪ Half-Life 2
▪ Counter-Strike: Source
▪ Half-Life 1: Source
▪ Day of Defeat™: Source
▪ Plus: Valve's back catalog available on Steam!

vs

RETAIL:
▪ Half-Life 2
▪ Counter-Strike: Source - The next generation of the #1 online action game
▪ Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game
▪ Free Limited Edition T-shirt - Offered in men's size XL only
▪ Half-Life 2 Prima Book - Information on character backgrounds, the making of the game, and more than 100 pieces of artwork

No you don't get the same stuff. You get a book and T-Shirt in place of DoD. So I save $20 by not receiving a tangible game along with the Prima book and T-shirt. What a bargain! I don't see the "bang-for-buck you are talking about. Like I said, it's your opinion, smart guy.

Hitokage said:
Half Life: Platnum Edition still costs a fair amount too.
Now I'm 100% convinced you're a Valve employee (or zealot).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hey, if you think that a tshirt and prima book are worth $20, DoD:S, and HL: Platnum... it's your opinion.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No you don't get the same stuff. You get a book and T-Shirt in place of DoD. So I save $20 by not receiving a tangible game along with the Prima book and T-shirt. What a bargain! I don't see the "bang-for-buck you are talking about. Like I said, it's your opinion, smart guy.

In terms of game content the steam silver package is the best deal, period. Tangible game? It requires activation either way, you can back up the data to cdr/dvdr either way, and you don't get a manual either way. The only luxury that the retail version provides is saving the "hassle" of burning a single DVDR, since the install discs and a backup disc will serve the exact same purpose.

When you enter in your Retail HL2 cd key, it becomes locked to your steam account and itself useless. Your HL2 cds cannot be installed on machines randomly and played without first activating through steam. Buying a steam package is just as "tangible."

SKluck

Banned
DVD version doesn't even come with the full prima guide or full raising the bar book. You get some cheap sampler shit with stuff from both.

Ferrio

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
STEAM:
▪ Half-Life 2
▪ Counter-Strike: Source
▪ Half-Life 1: Source
▪ Day of Defeat™: Source
▪ Plus: Valve's back catalog available on Steam!

vs

RETAIL:
▪ Half-Life 2
▪ Counter-Strike: Source - The next generation of the #1 online action game
▪ Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game
▪ Free Limited Edition T-shirt - Offered in men's size XL only
▪ Half-Life 2 Prima Book - Information on character backgrounds, the making of the game, and more than 100 pieces of artwork

Now I'm 100% convinced you're a Valve employee (or zealot).

You did read the collectors right? "Prima book sampler", it's not even the full book.

See:
What is the "Prima book sampler" that is included with the Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition?
º The sampler has 2 chapters from the Strat Guide and one chapter from the coffee table book (Raising the Bar).

What are the system requirements?
Minimum:
º 1.2 GHz Processor
º 256MB RAM
º DirectX 7 graphics card
º Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
º Mouse
º Keyboard
º Internet connection

sscrew

Mr_Furious said:
. I don't have internet access at the moment but that shouldn't prevent me from being able to play an OFFLINE game.
No net access and your posting on an internet message board? :D From what i heard, the PC you install it on doesnt have to be on steam, you can do it on a friends PC, at an internet cafe etc. You just activate your copy their, possibly have to backup the file which logs you into steam, and take it home and put it on... yes its a motherfucker to do, but it isnt necessary to have your PC on the net, its just easier for you.
I like steam, i have 99% of the game already, and when its released, i wait a few seconds to get the rest and play, i have my boxed copy sitting on a shelf already, but thats more just for the box... the copy on my hard drive was free with my Video card :)

Hitokage said:
Hey, if you think that a tshirt and prima book are worth $20, DoD:S, and HL: Platnum... it's your opinion.
Brilliant deduction because I never claimed otherwise.

EviLore said:
In terms of game content the steam silver package is the best deal, period. Tangible game? It requires activation either way, you can back up the data to cdr/dvdr either way, and you don't get a manual either way. The only luxury that the retail version provides is saving the "hassle" of burning a single DVDR, since the install discs and a backup disc will serve the exact same purpose.

When you enter in your Retail HL2 cd key, it becomes locked to your steam account and itself useless. Your HL2 cds cannot be installed on machines randomly and played without first activating through steam. Buying a steam package is just as "tangible."
Whatever makes you feel better about your purchase. I'm not going to pay full retail for a download. BTW, I don't own a burner so how exactly is "backing up" going to work for me? Why do people insist that everyone has the same equipment they do or have access to the same services they do? I do not own a burner and do not have access to the internet, so I'll say again: "I have no way to play an offline game on my offline computer because I don't have an online connection." This does not make logical sense to me. It baffles me that people can't grasp this concept that I am upset about. I didn't want to use Steam to gain access to HL2 but was more than willing to purchase the game through normal retail channels, there by, still giving Valve/VU my hard earned money. Now I'm not but it's not by my choice and it's HL2 of all games.

Mrbob

So does this mean Half Life Source will be available right away?

Also, one reason I'm glad Half Life 2 isn't unlocked for a special few: You biatches can't ruin the plot ahead of time! :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Whatever makes you feel better about your purchase

I didn't need to sate any sort of fanboyistic desire to give Valve as much money as possible, or cry myself to sleep about an online activation for a game whose staying power will be in its online content.

BTW, I don't own a burner so how exactly is "backing up" going to work for me? Why do people insist that everyone has the same equipment they do or have access to the same services they do? I

You don't have a cd or dvd burner? If that's the case, then I highly doubt you even meet the minimum requirements to play HL2 at 640x480 with gourad shading. Best wait 3 years for the Xenon port.

I didn't want to use Steam to gain access to HL2 but was more than willing to purchase the game through normal retail channels, there by, still giving Valve/VU my hard earned money. Now I'm not but it's not by my choice and it's HL2 of all games

Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for Valve, you're in a very small minority.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mr_Furious said:
Brilliant deduction because I never claimed otherwise.
I'm sorry, I thought I didn't have to explicitly mention the third option: getting just HL2 and nothing else. Thus I return to my original "bang-for-buck" statement.

Matlock

Banned
I'm still amazed that someone out there has a PC that can handle HL2, yet no internet connection.

That's like buying a new TV, and never hooking it to any input signal.

Ferrio said:
You did read the collectors right? "Prima book sampler", it's not even the full book.

See:
What is the "Prima book sampler" that is included with the Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition?
º The sampler has 2 chapters from the Strat Guide and one chapter from the coffee table book (Raising the Bar).

What are the system requirements?
Minimum:
º 1.2 GHz Processor
º 256MB RAM
º DirectX 7 graphics card
º Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
º Mouse
º Keyboard
º Internet connection
I don't care if it is a sampler, the book is still more than what I'd get through Steam. And it makes PERFECT sense to require an offline game to have internet access.
sscrew said:
No net access and your posting on an internet message board? :D From what i heard, the PC you install it on doesnt have to be on steam, you can do it on a friends PC, at an internet cafe etc. You just activate your copy their, possibly have to backup the file which logs you into steam, and take it home and put it on... yes its a motherfucker to do, but it isnt necessary to have your PC on the net, its just easier for you.
I like steam, i have 99% of the game already, and when its released, i wait a few seconds to get the rest and play, i have my boxed copy sitting on a shelf already, but thats more just for the box... the copy on my hard drive was free with my Video card :)
I use the PC at work. Thank you Valve for making it a pain in the ass for ME to play HL2. Oh, and good for you sscrew :p

Ferrio

Banned
So the analogy I made isn't ringing through?

Internet connection is a listed requirement, hence you don't buy the game unless you have one. Just like someone doesn't buy the game if they're on a 400 Mhz machine with 128 Mb of ram. It's not really something you can argue with if they've stated very clearly that you need a connection.

swoon

Matlock said:
I'm still amazed that someone out there has a PC that can handle HL2, yet no internet connection.

it's more like not getting cable, though. and that happens a lot.

steam is bad for the market and bad for everyone really.

Matlock

Banned
swoon said:
it's more like not getting cable, though. and that happens a lot.

steam is bad for the market and bad for everyone really.

Not really. Even rabbit ears would work, but he doesn't have those. ;)

EviLore said:
You don't have a cd or dvd burner? If that's the case, then I highly doubt you even meet the minimum requirements to play HL2 at 640x480 with gourad shading. Best wait 3 years for the Xenon port.
Yup, I don't own a burner. It's back to the x86 for me. Come on now.
Matlock said:

Some people don't live in areas that offer a "decent connection".

The unlocking thing is a novel measure, and if it keeps pirates at bay for a significant amount of time, I'm for it. However, it should be like XP activation in that it allows you to phone the registration in. The idea that what is in the box isn't enough to play is unsettling, bu that's exactly the way that the very OS it will be played upon has always been.

I'm buying the special edition on DVD so I know I'll have a good hardcopy in ten years. Sure hope the activation is chucked by then.

Matlock said:
Where do you work, and do they know you're wasting valuable time with bickering about a videogame?
That's none of your fucking business and I'm off the clock while doing this.
Ferrio said:
So the analogy I made isn't ringing through?

Internet connection is a listed requirement, hence you don't buy the game unless you have one. Just like someone doesn't buy the game if they're on a 400 Mhz machine with 128 Mb of ram. It's not really something you can argue with if they've stated very clearly that you need a connection.
I understand what you said. I just don't like that requirement because I feel it is unnecessary. Every other requirement affects the ability to play the game sufficiently due to system specs yet the internet connection is only there to give me "permission" to play the game.
Matlock said:
Not really. Even rabbit ears would work, but he doesn't have those. ;)
Yeah, I can use rabbit ears to see HBO or ESPN or TBS. Whatever you say toughguy.

Rorschach

You can buy internet cards with however many minutes you want at 7-11 and most retail chains like Target and Walmart.

You can do it from a friend's house.

You can do it from work/school.

I don't see how you can own a powerhouse pc and not have a modem on it. No network card or built in mobo ethernet card? :\ Anyway, you should realize you're a very small minority and will need to take some extra steps.

Oni Jazar

Ok here's the bottom line: If you've got a great computer that can handle HL2 but no possible way of ever connecting to the internet, You're Insignificant. An acceptable loss. Maybe you can start a support group for this issue. On the internet. kthxgby

PS- Do you honestly think that in 5-10+ years from now there could be a chance that one of the most popular games of this gen would be LOCKED because a company went bankrupt?

Falch

I have a question about the basic HL2 retail version: does it include Day Of Defeat Source too (whenever it is released) or will I have to buy it seperately once it's available?

epmode

you need to register half-life 2 on the computer that will play the game. how will your own internet-less computer know that you registered on another machine?
Falch said:
I have a question about the basic HL2 retail version: does it include Day Of Defeat Source too (whenever it is released) or will I have to buy it seperately once it's available?
seperately. dod source is not included on any of the retail packages. this is likely due to a conflict of interest between vivendi and activision (they distributed dod when it hit retail.)

Am I wrong in thinking there was supposed to be a way to "upgrade" whatever retail version you bought, essentially paying the extra to get the steam back-catalog? I remember someone telling me that, but I haven't seen or heard anything like that recently...

Bregor

ImNotLikeThem said:
Am I wrong in thinking there was supposed to be a way to "upgrade" whatever retail version you bought, essentially paying the extra to get the steam back-catalog? I remember someone telling me that, but I haven't seen or heard anything like that recently...

There have been rumors of it, but I haven't seen anything solid. Certainly it will not be possible at the time of release.

Slo

Oh shit, HL2 requires a mouse and keyboard? NO PUNCH CARD SUPPORT?!?!?!?!?! THANKS A LOT FOR RUINING MY LIFE VALVE YOU GREEDY FUCKERS!!!

Top Bottom