• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 Steam Offers Ready Thursday

epmode

Thaedolus said:
Let's see...60 bucks for HL2, HL1 with updated graphics and Counter-Strike.
don't forget about valve's entire back catalog + dod source.

edit: wish i wasn't at work.. i really want to try out cs: source.

Hooker

Will it be smart to try to register at clockstrike 11 PST?! Because I reckon there may be another 100.000 kids waiting with daddy's CC trying to crash Valve's CC Authentication server :p

EDIT: Does the "back catalog" include CS:CZ?!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'd assume so, Hooker. CZ Multi will be pretty obsolete, but CZ Deleted Scenes is a lot of fun (starts out kinda poorly, but it picks up).

Hooker

goddamn.gif

Finally got through, and need to update CS:S AGAIN! 30 more minutes

Coop

Any idea how big the d/l for CS:S is? I have a bandwith restriction here at school and dont want to go over it.

Hooker

No fucking server to play on :S

I did get 77 FPS on the stress-test at 1280*960 though

And no, I pre-loaded Half-Life2 this morning, part of which is for CS:S. The *.gcf for CS:S is 944 MB, but I don't know if it uses some stuff from the HL2 files. Which are 2.5 gig at the moment

Thaedolus

hmm...my credit card order wouldn't go through because the server was too busy, but it's letting me download the games regardless. However, CS isn't downloading because it's too busy :|

Hooker

Sure, but I can't seem to access online servers.

And CS_Office rocks. The whole office has cool vertical looking windows. When you shoot glass, it looks all shattered but will only break off when you move into it. The PC's, when you shoot the cover off, you can see the graphics card, heatsink etc. It's just SOOOO cool.

Thaedolus, keep trying, I got it after 2 times

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, my order didn't go through either, but it shows that I do own it.

However, you CANNOT upgrade to Gold with the ATI coupon. Just so you know.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, I'm not seeing any CS:S servers. Dove into office, though...VERY cool.

IJoel

ManaByte said:
Yeah, my order didn't go through either, but it shows that I do own it.

However, you CANNOT upgrade to Gold with the ATI coupon. Just so you know.

WTF!?

*anger rising*

epmode

IJoel said:
WTF!?

*anger rising*
yes you can. there may be a glitch keeping you from doing it now, but valve has confirmed that it's possible.

actually, you might jsut have to enter the ati coupon code, then buy the upgraded package. the $49.95 bronze credit might come off the total price.

epmode

EviLore said:
204.210.157.19 password ga . Attempting to host one.
i think there's a bug in the server browser right now. at least, that's what i'm reading on a half-life forum. no one is seeing any servers, even after setting them up.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
3 people got into my match. We played office. It was good.

And I need a better rig ;b

Thaedolus

Geez, after my shakey start I was glad I could come back and bat a little over .500, that was a good match Lore

nubbe

Hitboxes are so much better now compared to beta for some reason... I can actually hit and kill people now.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So if you get the silver, exactly what games does this include from the "backlog"?

Their website won't load where I am.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Mr Pockets said:
So if you get the silver, exactly what games does this include from the "backlog"?

Their website won't load where I am.

CS
TFC
DoD
HL
Deathmatch Classic
Opposing Force
Ricochet

It doesn't include CZ, and Codename: Gordon is free.

Rorschach

Half-Life
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero <---
Day of Defeat
Team Fortress Classic
Deathmatch Classic
Opposing Force
Ricochet

That's the copy/paste from the steam offer window.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder if they will release the half life source before HL2?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Rorschach said:
Half-Life
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero <---
Day of Defeat
Team Fortress Classic
Deathmatch Classic
Opposing Force
Ricochet

That's the copy/paste from the steam offer window.

Ah cool. They changed it then.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
PC Gamer (US) gave it a 98... I think that ties Alpha Centauri for highest score ever from them.

http://www.halflife2.net

Rating: 98 percent!

Pros - "Everything: Graphics, plot, gameplay. Its what experts have been predicting for this medium"

Lows - "Squadmates sometimes get in your way; low res textures in huge outdoor scenes"

"Valve has forged the framework for the next generation of games, demonstrating what our medium can and should be able to accompolish"

"An exhilarating entertainment that can emotionally move you one moment, kick ******* the next, and keep you immersed the whole time."

I'll probably buy Steam Silver package this weekend.

Rorschach

Fuck, I'm having network problems on my new pc (can't even stay connected to mIRC). I'm downloading, but it's kinda slow. I hope I can actually play. T_T

I'm gonna go rock back and forth in the corner until I see the CS:S Screen pops up.

[edit] omg got an error message at 2 mins...gotta start all over.a lkasdjf;asjdf;lkajdsf

SKluck

Banned
Shipping was $10 for the Gold package stuff. Considering that is the only pack with stuff to ship they should've just built it into the cost, IMO. $100 even.

When do they ship that stuff out? Anyone know?

epmode

SKluck said:
When do they ship that stuff out? Anyone know?
not sure, but if you check the official package contents listing, the extra stuff doesn't have an asterisk by it. meaning, there's a good chance they're mailing it out now.

in other news, cs_office is fucking awesome. much better than the other maps, polish-wise. i love shooting up the computers. you can shoot the ram off of the motherboard, for god's sake. and the heat sink!

Rorschach

I'm getting MAJOR choke, and I was worried it might be my pc, but I'm pretty sure it's my connection. Sigh...it's unplayable this way.

shuri

Banned
How many fps are you guys getting with the video test thing? I'm getting 98fps. Is that low or high? The effects werent exactly all that nice. And no i'm not being sarcastic.

Is the server browser still broken for you?

epmode

shuri said:
How many fps are you guys getting with the video test thing? I'm getting 98fps. Is that low or high? The effects werent exactly all that nice. And no i'm not being sarcastic.

Is the server browser still broken for you?
server browser is fine now. i see ~1000 games.

as for the stress test, i'm not sold on its accuracy.

i've seen it run on several different systems, with wildy fluctuating numbers. i have a 6800 gt, 1 gig ram, 3.2mhz processor, and i've clocked 58, 78 and 106 frames per second on different occasions (all at the same quality settings.) i've also seen a slightly worse system with a 9800pro get significantly higher rates than me, even though there was much more apparent slowdown. and i'm a slowdown spotting hawk.

so to answer your question, your framerate sounds great, but the program is unreliable. imo.

Top Bottom