• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life Alyx with PSVR2 questions re seated/playing area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman76

Hi guys. I have a gaming PC with a 4070 and 7800x3d, and a PSVR2. My PC doesnt have bluetooth built in.

On my PS5 most games are OK if I can play seated, but it wont play games like The Room where I have to move around because my space is too small.

Can Alyx be played seated, and will my PC handle this if I buy the adapter? I dont want to waste 60 quid only to find I cant play it as Alyx is the only reason to get this adapter.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Hi guys. I have a gaming PC with a 4070 and 7800x3d, and a PSVR2. My PC doesnt have bluetooth built in.

On my PS5 most games are OK if I can play seated, but it wont play games like The Room where I have to move around because my space is too small.

Can Alyx be played seated, and will my PC handle this if I buy the adapter? I dont want to waste 60 quid only to find I cant play it as Alyx is the only reason to get this adapter.

Half Life Alyx was made in a period where a 970 was the recommended card for VR. Your rig will totally kill it

I don't recommend playing it seated though. It can be done, but there's also the teleport option to stay stationary and have a small range of guardian around for picking up stuffs with your hands.

If you insist on sitting, accesibility settings is ingame : You can use both teleportation/free move and crouch with a button. Snap /smooth turning is ingame too.

Last edited:
If you adjust a few in game settings you could play it seated with no issues.

The question regarding whether or not your PC can run it seems a bit weird, the games older than your PC parts and it's reasonably high spec, of course you'll be able to run it. Just look at the minimum specs required to run the game. I ran it on a 2070 laptop with no problems.

Google probably would have helped you quicker than anyone here could lol.

Rubim

The question regarding whether or not your PC can run it seems a bit weird, the games older than your PC parts and it's reasonably high spec, of course you'll be able to run it. Just look at the minimum specs required to run the game. I ran it on a 2070 laptop with no problems.

Google probably would have helped you quicker than anyone here could lol.
Dude have the best CPU on the market and its worried about running the game.

Jesus christ.

If the only there was a website where we could've checked that.

Last edited:
Half Life Alyx was made in a period where a 970 was the recommended card for VR. Your rig will totally kill it

I don't recommend playing it seated though. It can be done, but there's also the teleport option to stay stationary and have a small range of guardian around for picking up stuffs with your hands.

If you insist on sitting, accesibility settings is ingame : You can use both teleportation/free move and crouch with a button. Snap /smooth turning is ingame too.
False. It needs pretty decent horsepower.

Freeman76

Thank you. Spec wise didnt know if VR takes a lot more power, new to pc gaming really

KaiserBecks

Your PC will run the game just fine. I wouldn’t recommend playing it seated, it’ll ruin the immersion. You really don’t need a lot of space though, you won’t move around like you would playing Beat Saber.

Griffon

Alyx plays perfectly well seated. The UI and controls work very well for it.

Your build is way too powerful for that game, so I suggest a swap with mine, free of charge.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If only there were more games on par with HL:A...

Any recommendations? Would love to remove the dust from my Index.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
False. It needs pretty decent horsepower.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Fake? Dude, I played it from beginning to end on a GTX 1060, which is nearly equivalent to a 970

Or the tsunami of peoples on youtube playing half life alyx with a 1060, you know, the #1 GPU on hardware stats during that time.

Its more prone to CPU performances for the physics than graphic rendering, especially those holograms and upgrade stations.

If you think it needs decent horsepower, you're fucking up your headset settings or you have a scaled-up resolution >200%

The graphics scale really well to low end PCs, low settings are fine

Hoddi

Different headsets have different resolutions so it's hard to give any real answer. It played perfectly well on my 9900k + 2080Ti with an original Vive headset but PSVR2 has a 3x higher resolution than that. You don't have to worry on the CPU front but it's hard to say how a 4070 will perform at that resolution.

I still think it should be fine with a 4070. I played it with a decent amount of supersampling so maybe the 3x resolution won't be a problem. I'm also pretty sure it supports dynamic resolutions and will adjust to the GPU load.

If only there were more games on par with HL:A...

Any recommendations? Would love to remove the dust from my Index.
Play the Doom3 and HL2 VR mods if you haven't. It's easy to discount them as being 'just mods' but they trounce most commercial games in the VR space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom