• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 - Who's going to be picking up their copy at 12AM?

marko

going to have the game in about 3 minutes. Can't believe going out and getting the game at midnight, but when super walmart/gamestop is only 5 minutes away....

thom

AniHawk said:
Oh, really? I live in Glendora, currently. San Dimas is just a drive down the 57.

Rancho Cucamonga here...If you guys didn't want to keep that Halo LAN idea exclusive

between the two of you.

*whistles

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
just got my copy, about 100+ at a small EB in boston - was #25 in line and got mine within 15 min of selling

plus 2 redbull girls were there giving out free drinks (brought it home to have redbull and vodka while playing with roommate)

we had everything in those 100 people, small kid nerds with their parents, BC football player, large nerd man, stoned guy asking if everybody was here for halo 2, and somebody ripping a huge fart that smelled up the whole room

Just got back from picking my copy up....I got there at 11PM and figured I was getting there way too early.....boy, was I wrong. There were already 30-40 people in line, and another 150-200 joined before I left. :O

So why are y'all playing Campaign dammit? Let's get online before XBL crashes! :lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
thom said:
Rancho Cucamonga here...If you guys didn't want to keep that Halo LAN idea exclusive

between the two of you.

*whistles

you, me, anihawk, defensor, what other peeps are down?
:D

909 (626, 951?) represent ;)

op_ivy

no pm requests!!!!!!!! i'm telling.

no, i dunno when i could actually. kind of a bad week

thom

Not anytime too soon. I would like to get together with some GA guys from the IE though.

What's wrong with PM's?

op_ivy

thom said:
Not anytime too soon. I would like to get together with some GA guys from the IE though.

What's wrong with PM's?

Outside advertisements or solicitations promoted by posting messages, private messaging, or e-mailing users via Gaming Age Forums is unacceptable and will be subject to banning.

^ the newly revised TOS.

and yeah, i'm interested for sure. hopefully we can arrange something for as soon as next week.

olimario

Banned
My friend called me from his EB and said he wouldn't be able to pick up our copy tonight because all he had was the reciept and not the EB sheet of paper he needed to pick it up (according to local EB employees).

My questions are...
Do you need that damnded sheet of paper or just your reciept?
If you need the sheet and didn't get one, when are you supposed to pick up your game?

Thanks GAF.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
op_ivy said:
Outside advertisements or solicitations promoted by posting messages, private messaging, or e-mailing users via Gaming Age Forums is unacceptable and will be subject to banning.

^ the newly revised TOS.

and yeah, i'm interested for sure. hopefully we can arrange something for as soon as next week.

You can tell someone to PM you or ask for a PM. That has nothing to do with advertising or soliciting.

thom

olimario said:
My friend called me from his EB and said he wouldn't be able to pick up our copy tonight because all he had was the reciept and not the EB sheet of paper he needed to pick it up (according to local EB employees).

My questions are...
If you need the sheet and didn't get one, when are you supposed to pick up your game?

Thanks GAF.

You should only need your ID as your name should be in their site specific records. Unless there is a problem in their records and you need to prove them wrong (ie. proof which version you preordered and how much you put down on the game).

Tell your friend to whip out his drivers license and tell them to fuck themselves or give up your copies of Halo 2.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Took me an hour to get the game; there were only about 75 people there as it turns out. Still took far too long. They had two registers going, and they should have divided everyone into two lines, and let the prepays go in first. Oh well, it's over now.

The Limited Edition case is SWEET. I wish all the Xbox games came in these.

olimario said:
My friend called me from his EB and said he wouldn't be able to pick up our
copy tonight because all he had was the reciept and not the EB sheet of paper he needed to pick it up (according to local EB employees).

My questions are...

Thanks GAF.

I just gave them my receipt and ID and I was good to go. They were handing out "Halo 2 Midnight Madness" papers that had your number in line on it, but all you had to do was ask to get one.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
op_ivy said:

909 representing here ;)

op_ivy, I just sent you a LIVE invite(accept from Kusaka).

Vargas

I left my house at 11 and made it to Gamestop at 11:30. There was a huge line already in place and I didn't get my copy until 12:16. I have to be up at 9 tomorrow but I am still going to try and put an hour in.

op_ivy

thom said:
gamertag: endtroducing

cool if I add you Defensor & op_ivy?

definitely. both of you.

but i'll need to get a new xbox for live on pay day, this friday. wont be on live till then sadly. so dont cancel it (aerogod, jesiatha and nutterbutter too)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
was just at hollywood video to return some movies. the attached gamecrazy is literally packed, and this at 10:00. one of the clerks was posted at the entrance, checking reservations like a bouncer at the world's nerdiest nightclub. even the hollywood video clerks have to stick around until they've gotten everyone out. they were understandably nonplused.

Tellaerin

Managed to pick up the Collector's Edition after about an hour on line at the local Gamestop, even though I didn't preorder. I was shocked at the sheer number of people out there, especially since it's just a small strip mall store near the local Pathmark (supermarket). o_O

And now that I've had dinner and read the manual, it's time to see what this game's got. :)

BuddyC

toys r us had like, 9 people in line. meanwhile, the best buy next door had 95.

and man, there sure were a lot of people online. at least 3/4 of my friends list was on, which is amazing considering that i never see more than 3 or 4 of them online at the same time.

AniHawk

op_ivy said:

I uh- have a tad problem playing OL. I don't have Halo 2 (wont until January), and I don't have Xbox Live.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Just to follow up, there were WAY more people at my local Gamestop than I was expecting. A line was wrapped around the little strip mall it's based in. Still, it was fun to shoot the shit with the other obsessive gaming fanatics there and I actually won some cheesey shit from the little contests they had for those waiting on the game. Plus, when I went to pay for the game, I asked if any Special Editions were left and had my reserved copy bumped up to that. Once I saw the case, I couldn't resist - now everyone can SEE what a sucker I was. ;) Only been able to play an hour or so, looking forward to neglecting more of my homework as I get home from work today....

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
AniHawk said:
Damnit. Were you there?

Maybe I was there ;-)

Anyway, I'll pay a visit to your store sometime after school when I don't have work afterwards. When do you work there(you quit BB?) and what school do you go to now?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Teh Hamburglar said:
I went to my Toys R Us this morning and they had plenty of copies. :lol @ people who stood in line ;)

I suspect most people who were standing in line last night weren't doing it so much as to insure their copy, out of excitement, and well, dorkdom. But you probably already knew that...

Jumpman

op_ivy said:

626 here! I'd love to get together for some Halo 2 action, but my schedule is busy until probably mid December (winter break). Like AniHawk, I don't have Xbox Live, so that's not an option for me yet. However, if you guys do decide to get together drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do. :)

I got to EB at 11:55 with my brother and their was already quite a crowd waiting. I was #75 in line, and it took almost an hour before I was able to get my copy. I also picked up Katamari Damacy and Midway Arcade Treasures 2. I'm guessing that at least 150 people picked up a copy by the time they closed at 2am. I must say, there were some pretty big dorks in attendance. One guy, after getting his copy and jogging out of the store, let out a blood curdling scream of jubilation. "OH MY GOD, I ACTUALLY HAVE HALO 2," he wailed, as the tears welled up in his eyes. Fucking dork.

Does anyone know how the 2 months trial for Xbox Live works? Does the 2 months begin the day I purchase the game, or could I activate it in mid December instead? I'd like to try it out, but I don't have a lot of time right now. One last question. Since I don't have the headset, is that going to negatively affect my XBL experience, or do most people not use it anyway?

Jumpman said:
Does anyone know how the 2 months trial for Xbox Live works? Does the 2 months begin the day I purchase the game, or could I activate it in mid December instead? I'd like to try it out, but I don't have a lot of time right now. One last question. Since I don't have the headset, is that going to negatively affect my XBL experience, or do most people not use it anyway?

2 months from when you activate it.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Jumpman said:
I got to EB at 11:55 with my brother and their was already quite a crowd waiting. I was #75 in line, and it took almost an hour before I was able to get my copy. I also picked up Katamari Damacy and Midway Arcade Treasures 2. I'm guessing that at least 150 people picked up a copy by the time they closed at 2am. I must say, there were some pretty big dorks in attendance. One guy, after getting his copy and jogging out of the store, let out a blood curdling scream of jubilation. "OH MY GOD, I ACTUALLY HAVE HALO 2," he wailed, as the tears welled up in his eyes. Fucking dork.

If only someone had a video camera!

ROFL!!!!!!

SyNapSe

Cubsfan23 said:
I would get a headset

Yeah, the voicechat for all is really the great (and sometimes bad) thing about XBL. Assuming you are getting in good matches or a clan or something, it's really great like Half-life. It can be annoying if you just do some random match for something and get an idiot.. you can turn it off tho.

skip

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6441598/

NEW YORK - New York City’s Time Square has seen everything from 25 cents peep shows to rampant "Disneyfication," but the hundreds of screaming males lined up late last night outside the Toys R Us on 44th and Broadway represented a Times Square first: The video-game release street party.

By 10 p.m. the crowd was so large even the crusty city dwellers were starting to take notice.

"Excuse me, what is this line for?" asked a passerby to a young man bearing a "Save the earth!" sign.

"Halo 2! Halo 2!" yelled the sign bearer. The entire line picked up the chant. "Halo 2! Halo 2!" they yelled.

"Get a life, you freaking losers!" yelled another passerby.

"Halo 2!" they yelled back.

one of you guys?

skip

oh man, I should have kept reading:

At one surreal moment, a pickup truck loaded with cameras and lighting equipment and pulling a bicycle pedi-cab slowly moved down Broadway parallel to the line. Showtime was shooting a show and they had stumbled, accidentally, into the equivalent of a lion's den.

In the pedi-cab, Kim Cattrall — Samantha of "Sex in the City" fame — whose face bore the shock one would expect of a sexy celeb running head-on into a thousand or so unshaven 25-year-old males. She quickly exited the pedi-cab into a nearby town car.

"Samantha!" They yelled. "Halo 2" fanatics may play video games, but they know their "Sex and the City."

One young man, his bare chest bearing the number "2" painted in blue paint, charged towards the pedi-cab. "Sex and Halo! Sex and Halo!" he chanted and once again the crowd took up the chant.

"'Halo has changed my life," Robert Caraballo, the bare-chested blue man admitted later. "I'm just so lost in the excitement here. I'm just realizing how many people love this game."

Caraballo added that he had just been laid off earlier that day and called it the best day of his life because he would have more time to play "Halo 2."

so...which one of you is robert caraballo?

JayFro

Banned
I picked up my copy of Halo 2 at EB last night around 12:30 am and went to return it earlier this evening. Why did I return it you ask? I ordered from MTV.com when they had that $38.38 special going on and the game arrived today! 11/9/04, talk about good free shipping from MTV. So I took the copy from MTV marched down to EB and with that copy I picked up DOA Ultimate. So I used the bargain copy from MTV to pick up a bargain price copy of DOA which was cool and the leftover $5 went towards MechAssualt 2. See you guys online!

JayFro

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
JayFro said:
I picked up my copy of Halo 2 at EB last night around 12:30 am and went to return it earlier this evening. Why did I return it you ask? I ordered from MTV.com when they had that $38.38 special going on and the game arrived today! 11/9/04, talk about good free shipping from MTV. So I took the copy from MTV marched down to EB and with that copy I picked up DOA Ultimate. So I used the bargain copy from MTV to pick up a bargain price copy of DOA which was cool and the leftover $5 went towards MechAssualt 2. See you guys online!

JayFro

:lol Did the store clerks look at you like "WTF, it's Halo 2 you can't return Halo 2! *sob*"

hgplayer1

me and my brother went to pick up my copy last night at a gamestop in a little shopping center strip. on the way to the store we saw a guy riding his bike and my brother goes, "look at that hes riding his bike at this time just to go get Halo." it was about 11:30 when we saw him.

so we get to the store and park and my brother is a little surprised at the number of people already there but I wasnt. Id say it was between 60 and 80 people. it was a nice cool night. it didnt look too organized so we asked and there were supposed to be two lines so we got in the line and wouldnt you know it, i got behind the guy just talks and talks. he wasnt that bad really but you know he was one of those guys where like I was talking directly to my brother and he answered or commented like I was talking to him. it was pretty annoying but I guess it coulda been worse. no one seemed to be drunk or anything.

there some idiots driving around the store doing like burnouts or something that was supposed to be a burnout in their cars. some chick was parking her car or something and backed into someones truck I think. I didnt see it but i definitely heard it. when the first guy got his copy and walked out most of the people kinda cheered, then later about half way through one guy comes out and holds his copy up in the air.....no cheer.some people would kinda run to their car when they got theirs and some would stick around and talk to their friends who were still in line.

there was a guy not too far behind me and i guess he was a proffesor or something cause one of the guys that got theirs first was his student or something and he joked with him about trading a passing grade for his copy of Halo.

as I was inching up towards the door we see this guy on a bike coming from the Wal Mart across the street and as he passed the crowd he goes " Wal Mart has Halo!" and held up his bag. :lol

before we made it into the store my back started killing me! Im not sure what happened but i felt like i could barely stand up straight. once that started happening i just wanted to get my copy and go. so i got mine and called my cousin who had reserved his at the mall and said he was waiting in a long ass line that wasnt moving still. so i asked him if he wanted me to check wal mart and hastings to see if the had copies i could buy so he could get out of line. he said yeah so we found a copy at Hastings and he came over to my house and we jumped online right away. he has already prepaid his in cash so when his wife went to get their refund today she said they looked at her like she was crazy :lol i gotta admit it was all worth it to get it early and play all night and experience some of that odd stuff that happens when your running around town at midnight trying to buy a damn game.

JayFro

Banned
deadlifter said:
:lol Did the store clerks look at you like "WTF, it's Halo 2 you can't return Halo 2! *sob*"

The dork behind the counter did look at me rather funny...........like you want to return this for DOA Ultimate? I live in a fairly small town and he said they sold around 100 copies in the first 24 hours already. This game is going to sell millions upon millions

AniHawk

Defensor said:
Maybe I was there ;-)

Anyway, I'll pay a visit to your store sometime after school when I don't have work afterwards. When do you work there(you quit BB?) and what school do you go to now?

I quit BB last April. They asked me to put in a leave of absence, and I did. However, the voluntary quit or whatever it's called reached HQ before the leave of absence did, and when it came time for me to go back to work, I found out I wasn't actually with the company anymore so I left completely (because they didn't want me out of inventory).

I was working today from 12:00-1:10 (AM) and 3:50-Closing. I'll be working next week *sometime* (probably). They've been making schedules that have me in for 3 hours a week, but it's gone up to 9 now. :p

Currently, I'm a student at CSU Fullerton.

Top Bottom