• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

JesseZao

I thought the
Trench Run
was a good fit for this game's last level
driving/escape section
. Besides, we got the traditional version earlier in the
ghost escape
. I wish there was more done with the fact that you could finally
pilot a pelican, but maybe there will be more in spartan ops.

Pop

Okay so I beat the game on legendary and got the Mark VI armor, but my brother just did the same thing and didn't get the armor, but got the achievement. Is there any other requirement to get the armor?

Check campaign commendations, it did the same thing to me. I did get the achievements but it never registered Mission 7 or 8 for me. So I had to redo them but did get the armor after that.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Don't turn this into metroid 343. Game sucks. Cortana is an anime fantasy

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I do this too lol

But I'm pretty accustomed to playing halo alone. All my friends play pc games exclusively pretty much.

What is this. Cortana doesn't say uguu or nii chan once in the entire campaign.

Yep I like playing these games' story solo. Halo 3 was amazing solo. They started fucking shit up in Reach because I could tell it was supposed to be played coop.

RedSwirl

What I think we've at least established here is that there should be a
Halo space combat game. Half the wars in the lore are probably space naval battles, why not make a separate franchise out of them?

Anyway, I still don't know where 4 sits among all the Halo campaigns. Maybe this is because I haven't played through 3 or Reach in a while. It's probably better than Reach, but also probably still doesn't beat Combat Evolved. It did do some really cool new and fresh things for the gameplay though so that counts a lot.

Sanic

Finished the campaign earlier.

Levels felt more linear than I remember in past games. There's nothing like Tsavo Highway or The Ark in Halo 4. It was a fun ride, but i'm not really happy with this kind of direction. I need my open ended levels.

Petrie

Banned
Finished the campaign earlier.

Levels felt more linear than I remember in past games. There's nothing like Tsavo Highway or The Ark in Halo 4. It was a fun ride, but i'm not really happy with this kind of direction. I need my open ended levels.

This I can agree with, but I'll give them a pass because it was a first effort on a time constraint, and so much is so well done.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Argh! Running out of ammo constantly.
This happened to me constantly during my playthrough......this is the first time ive ever run out of ammo this many times in a Halo game.....I think I ran out atleast twice in every level.

Im glad im not the only one suffering through this....I thought i just started sucking at Halo and was missing all my shots or something.

(- 343 Industries is a terrible studio name even if it relates to Halo lore.)

Other than Electronic Arts pretty much all studio names are terrible and we only love them because we love the games they make.

It's meant to be a co-op experience. That's like playing Borderlands 2 solo.

Haha how much you want to be he plays Borderlands solo as well.
I cant stomach Borderlands solo.....I tried some Spartan Ops co-op but got some lag spikes so I quit and tried it solo.....just doesnt feel right.
Ill keep hunting for good games and get this shit completed.

On Topic
How do i turn on the Meta-game for split-screen Campaign, ive looked everywhere and i dont see a prompt or anything, playing the co-op campaign without being able to gloat at my boys isnt as much fun, I need to know im kicking ass and taking names.

END GAME SPOILERS

So, am I supposed to understand anything that happens in this game? There's absolutely no explanation for anything. I don't know who the bad guy is, what his motivations are, what the threat is, or who anyone is. The lack of information given to players is mind-boggling. What's especially strange is how the Master Chief doesn't ask questions on behalf of the player, as this information should be new and confusing to him as well. But nope, the Didact is introduced, and Master Chief seems to magically understand everything about him.

And was I supposed to feel bad about Cortana? She's an AI, not a real person. It's like crying when your computer stops working.

Multiplayer is fun, though. Reminds me of Halo 2, which is a good thing.

Pop

END GAME SPOILERS

So, am I supposed to understand anything that happens in this game? There's absolutely no explanation for anything. I don't know who the bad guy is, what his motivations are, what the threat is, or who anyone is. The lack of information given to players is mind-boggling. What's especially strange is how the Master Chief doesn't ask questions on behalf of the player, as this information should be new and confusing to him as well. But nope, the Didact is introduced, and Master Chief seems to magically understand everything about him.

And was I supposed to feel bad about Cortana? She's an AI, not a real person. It's like crying when your computer stops working.

Multiplayer is fun, though. Reminds me of Halo 2, which is a good thing.

Cause there's the 3 other installments to the story. This should be known by now. They shouldn't have to hold peoples hands.

Fox Mulder

What I think we've at least established here is that there should be a
Halo space combat game. Half the wars in the lore are probably space naval battles, why not make a separate franchise out of them?

Anyway, I still don't know where 4 sits among all the Halo campaigns. Maybe this is because I haven't played through 3 or Reach in a while. It's probably better than Reach, but also probably still doesn't beat Combat Evolved. It did do some really cool new and fresh things for the gameplay though so that counts a lot.

I was disappointed in where they went with it given the options, and Reach also felt longer.

I still had fun though.

Sean

Banned
Can you set the shotgun as a primary weapon in your loadout for multiplayer? I don't see it but maybe I haven't ranked up enough yet, only level 20.

Would be nice to spawn with the shotty on King of the Hill games.

Petrie

Banned
Can you set the shotgun as a primary weapon in your loadout for multiplayer? I don't see it but maybe I haven't ranked up enough yet, only level 20.

Would be nice to spawn with the shotty on King of the Hill games.

I donqt believe so, and with good reason.

Havok

On Topic
How do i turn on the Meta-game for split-screen Campaign, ive looked everywhere and i dont see a prompt or anything, playing the co-op campaign without being able to gloat at my boys isnt as much fun, I need to know im kicking ass and taking names.
Unfortunately, campaign scoring isn't in the game.
I beat all five missions yesterday (online coop) and I did not notice any input lag. Weird.
Whoever is chosen as host doesn't get any lag. Having said that, your ping and those of your teammates is the determining factor of how bad the lag is, so you might just have the right mix of people and connections to not have any lag.

GhaleonEB

Every time there is a Banshee parked for us to pick up...

ackbar.gif

These things are plasma magnets in Halo 4. In every part of the game where one is made available, I'm taking fire within 2 seconds - usually less - of getting in. I'm fairly late in the campaign - climbing very tall towers - and the game turns to hell instantly if you touch the thing.

Just like the last time one was parked there, all innocent like.

FroJay

Banned
Got through the first mission on solo Legendary, was pretty damn tough, how tough is the rest of the campaign compared to the first mission?

Trickster

The AI seemed pretty dumb on Heroic. I had more banshees getting stuck in walls than previous campaigns.

I had a very different experience with the banshee's on heroic. They felt much smarter than in previous halo games, they were much better at avoiding my shots than in previous games. I previous games they would often just ignore the fact that you were right behind them, shooting them in the ass. Not so in Halo 4.

Grisby

Eh...Spartan Ops is alright when it's not a laggy mess. Just finished it all in about an hour or so. I think it's a poor substitute for Firefight.

Although that cinematic cutscene was amazing. Totally got me in to playing it but in game the objectives were short and not very interesting.

Got through the first mission on solo Legendary, was pretty damn tough, how tough is the rest of the campaign compared to the first mission?

Seems far harder to me then other Halo campaigns I've played on Legendary, but I've never played the first or second game on Legendary so those could be harder.

Trickster

Eh...Spartan Ops is alright when it's not a laggy mess. Just finished it all in about an hour or so. I think it's a poor substitute for Firefight.

Although that cinematic cutscene was amazing. Totally got me in to playing it but in game the objectives were short and not very interesting.

Totally agree, opening cinematic was so good. But the actual missions were very unimaginitive. 99% of spartan ops seems to just be kill a fuck load of enemies.

I'd love to see things like

- Big set piece moments

- Stealth mission(s)

- variety of interesting objectives

- Scale enemies based on number of players. Having to fight 5+ knights simultanously solo on legendary with only promethean weapons is just not a fun experience.

Does anyone else feel like the multiplayer is not balanced? Especially Big Team on certain maps it seems like there are tons of power weapons and vehicles.

I didnt like it up to that point either. And then mission 5 is all kinds of awesome. Now mission 6 seems to be going back to the 1-4 routine.

I hope to reach a point where my opinion changes, but at the same time, I'm not all that eager to get back to playing the game. I'm just not having much fun, and I don't particularly care for the changes to the covenant, either. I want funny Grunts back, dadgummit.

Oh, the music. I remember sampling the soundtrack via iTunes and said that I would reserve judgment until playing the game. Well, so I guess I can render at least partial judgment: Still not growing on me. It's bland.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
END GAME SPOILERS

What makes Chief more real than Cortana, living tissue?
Cortana was created from a cloned brain, you could call her a digital clone but she has her own personality and all.
Is living tissue the only thing you can care about on an emotional level?

Are mental connections between friends, borderline lovers not something you can empathize with.

They shouldn't have to hold peoples hands.
^This is all you needed to say.

Mod edit-watch your spoiler tags, people!

They gave the lower-level Covenant bigger frames and heads... so that it's easier for us to shoot them! It's people! Soylent 343 is people!

Beaulieu

question time ; i recorded a cut a video on the xbox, saved it, shared it.
is there anyway to access that video on the web so I can brag ?

Izayoi

Banned
The netcode makes SPOPs almost completely unplayable co-op. Which is weird, because co-op campaign seems to work fine...

I hope the next game will have a proper flight model for the Banshee and for the other flying vehicules.
Probably my least favorite Banshee in the series.

Why can't it look down? Why are the maneuvers useless? Why is it made of paper?

aFIGurANT

Does anyone else feel like the multiplayer is not balanced? Especially Big Team on certain maps it seems like there are tons of power weapons and vehicles.

YES. I'm done trying to play the BTB and Dominion stuff until I find people to play with. Between no spartan laser to pick up to counter the scorpion and generally shitty large maps (seriously thought Exile would be badass but no it's almost as incoherent as the cluttered Abandon), I'm disappointed. Invasion was ten times better than playing on some of these maps.

Top Bottom