• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I actually played with some cool people with mics tonight. Sent out my first friend requests to randoms in years. YEARS! Put your mics back on people. It might be safe to come back out and play. Doubt it.

StuBurns

Banned
It mostly stems from the issue of the DMR in that everybody on the map uses it and if you don't then you're at a severe disadvantage. It then comes due to people camping camping and taking potshots across the map. Due to the nature of the map being so open in areas, people can hit you far far back and you won't ever see them and it's also extremely easy to get double or triple teamed thus making individual encounters damn near impossible at times. Also the nonexistent respawn times means that you could kill someone and they could spawn far back and shoot right at you due how open and flat it is.

In short every match turns into a big DMR campfest.
I think it feels natural though. The mid-range combat is just a lot more enjoyable, and closer to the campaign experience on higher difficulties, it seems like how the game would settle.

Jarmel

Banned
I think it feels natural though. The mid-range combat is just a lot more enjoyable, and closer to the campaign experience on higher difficulties, it seems like how the game would settle.

It's really not as you're forced into a very particular playstyle for the most part. It's a problem with most of the larger maps but it's amplified on Complex because of the altitude advantage.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Anyone having problems with save data being erased? I started the game up today and all my campaign progress was deleted. I still have the commendations for the levels I beat on legendary, but all my progress says I haven't beaten any levels.

Also, all my loadouts got deleted. I still have all the stuff I unlocked, but my guy went back to default.

This is pretty fuckin lame.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I gotta agree, Vortex and Everybody get to the roof! are looking like the worst maps to me.

Meltdown has far too much cover, but it's fun and has a lot of variety in it.

fixed.

It is not a bad looking map but that is pretty much the only play style for it. Everyone tries to hold the highest ground.

Lol, I've had this weird thing with Halo where I always seem to love the map everyone hates. Isolation was my jam in 3, and I'm loving Complex as well. ah well.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Really hope the community starts making awesome maps in Forge and they start adding them in matchmaking. Barely any stock maps in infinity slayer

pakkit

Banned
It's easy to pick off the roof dwellers in Complex.

I have yet to encounter a map that has disappointed me, and I'm impressed that 343 has actually managed to draw me out into the sandbox. Bungie's Halo had a lot of diversity, but I still almost never chose vehicles in lieu of (in order now) Pistol/BR-Plasma/BR/DMR. That said I'd appreciate some more map tweaks. It'd be easy to introduce Ragnarok into 4v4, for example, if 343 just got rid of the vehicles for the map.

Reclaimer

Anyone having problems with save data being erased? I started the game up today and all my campaign progress was deleted. I still have the commendations for the levels I beat on legendary, but all my progress says I haven't beaten any levels.

Also, all my loadouts got deleted. I still have all the stuff I unlocked, but my guy went back to default.

This is pretty fuckin lame.

Sucks.

Have you tried not hitting "resume campaign" and instead entering into the campaign menu and manually choosing a mission?

I thought I had lost a bunh of progress, but I had not.

Love the campaign.
Love Spartan Ops.
Love Versus.

Had a lot of fun exploring Infinity Slayer and Big Team tonight. Everything has worked out great so far - good connections, some decent ad-hoc teamwork, quick respawns and especially ordnance - I really dig the ordnance system.

So far am also digging all of the maps, since they have a nice mix of encounter ranges. Complex has a lot of dominant terrain that favors ranged, but that's OK to mix things up. Haven and Ragnarok are just gorgeous spaces to run around in, albeit entirely different. Havent really gotten a handle on the other maps, but I fell in love with the battlefield madness of all the big team games and maps.

I'm not a multiplayer versus kindof guy really, but this has been approachable, responsive and just plain fun, which I didn't really expect. Maybe its just that I'm not sucking as bad as I feared I would, even with a few horribad matches under my belt.

Guess I like this game :)

Currently in mission 4 on my legendary solo run.

FUCKING HELL the second spire in mission 3 was bad. It took me around 1 1/2 hours to complete that part. Did anyone even test play this shit? This is like CoD on veteran, unbelievable.

Get into Ghost: banshee fuel rod instakill
Get into Banshee: if the banshee fuel rod doesn't get you, the billions of enemies who apparently have zero bloom on their fully automatic weapons will.
Stay on foot: banshee plasma cannons will shred you

What I did was the following: use banshee, boost to first node, destroy node, kill all enemies nearby. use plasma pistol, hijack banshee, boost to next node.
And so on. The trickiest part was the end, but I ended up using a banshee to bail out over the bride to the exit and quickly sprint to the exit.

I seriously felt the urge to deal the designer of this area a particularly savage beating. WTF were they thinking? Worst campaign encounter of any Halo game, even worse than Cortana (H3) or Quarantine Zone (H2). FUCK.

Ken

FUCKING HELL the second spire in mission 3 was bad. It took me around 1 1/2 hours to complete that part. Did anyone even test play this shit? This is like CoD on veteran, unbelievable.

Get into Banshee: if the banshee fuel rod doesn't get you, the billions of enemies who apparently have zero bloom on their fully automatic weapons will.

What I did was the following: use banshee, boost to first node, destroy node, kill all enemies nearby. use plasma pistol, hijack banshee, boost to next node.
And so on. The trickiest part was the end, but I ended up using a banshee to bail out over the bride to the exit and quickly sprint to the exit.

I seriously felt the urge to deal the designer of this area a particularly savage beating. WTF were they thinking? Worst campaign encounter of any Halo game, even worse than Cortana (H3) or Quarantine Zone (H2). FUCK.

So mission accomplished?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Complex is everything wrong with the multiplayer, all in one map.

Funny, Complex is my favorite map for slayer.

Complaint;
Why are there two sets of dogtags in the emblems section, but no fucking numbers?

This may or may not explain why i'm peeved about the emblem set. Two of the same shitty one, but a lack of so many great ones from past iterations.

Seance

Banned

I know the part you mean, and I would agree, legendary solo is just appalling at that stage.

How on earth do you use the secondary fire on banshees?

Protip for the Banshee: Engage fights with the repeating cannons (Halo Wars lingo <3), hold R-Trigger the entire time, press Y to auto-Banshee bomb while still holding, press Y again to continue into repeating cannons fluidly.

Mk.V armor should've been for campaign solo Legendary with the Mk.VI for co-op Legendary ;[ - Just looking at the armor and damn I miss that classic Halo helmet..

halo_mkv_caboose_helmet_finished_by_hyperballistik-d4s9eo3.jpg

I want one.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Loving the changes for CTF, with a good team it's so much fun. Fuck Complex though. Seriously. What a load of shit, how does that even make it through play testing? Oh look another round where 4 guys on roofs spawn kill me. On a good note, I fucking love the Mantis, got 46 kills with it at some point in a CTF match.

Is there an additional legendary ending? Is it worth beating the game for or should I just watch it online like halo 3?
Watch it online imo,
it's the same ending as the regular campaign with one slight difference

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I know the part you mean, and I would agree, legendary solo is just appalling at that stage.

Just went through, took me about an hour. The rest of this post can be considered spoilers for those who have not played the mission in full, but it does not necessarily spoil any plot points, just campaign encounters. Not going to tag it as to avoid a massive splurge of black lines, so here's your warning.

For that part in particular, i splattered the elite, went to the right and grabbed a PP from a dead grunt. EMP'd the banshee, killed the driver, immediately hopped out. Took out the first gennie, went back to the door and went for the gennie on the left. took out grunts, and again PP'd the banshee. This time, stuck it and finished it off with my light rifle (took the entire clip)

Went on to finish off the elites with a Scattershot that i had been juggling with the PPs (to avoid it disappearing)

Blew up second gennie, jumped in original banshee, bombed the third from afar and jumped out on the bridge to skip killing all enemies.

Wasn't too bad.

With the final encounters, i basically skipped the first one by sprinting left of the covie/promethean fight and going straight through the door.
Second encounter i let the prometheans fight it out, then took them out 1 by 1 with the scattershot

third and final encounter was all but skipped by full on sprinting up the ramp, jumping up the right side of the fight, and going straight for the hand terminals.

In legendary, especially with the Covie vs Promethean sections, only fight when you have to. A lot of my buds were getting frustrated because they thought they had to defeat every enemy to move on with the level. Nope!

I'm doing a Legendary mission per night to avoid getting tired/ragequitting. It's actually quite nice. I'd almost say Heroic was harder for me, as the difficulty didn't FORCE me to take things extremely slow. I kept challenging the 50% odds of taking everything out before death, whereas with legendary i know to take it one enemy at a time and use whatever resources possible.

I know a lot of Halo vets are reading this thinking "Well duh, dude." lol.

MJLord

So overall feeling.. Multi is fun. Campaign was meh. Spartan ops is meh.

Nah I don't agree. Multi is the most fun I've had out of any other halos multi, sounds are great, guns feel great and the maps and game modes are functional at worst but most of the time I don't feel like I'm being dominated and I have a lot of fun.

Spartan Ops is a nice change to the regime, I think of it a a horde mode with a purpose and your the one coming into the scenario rather than waiting for the enemy to come to you.

Campaign is different.. Its not got that "you must save the world vibe" that made me not want to put down the controller which I think the new focus of Chief and Cortana doesn't quite provide but its great nonetheless.

Anyone wanna play some MP? I'm hating not being on a team with people with no mic. I'm probably the best player on this forum too. No big deal....

Also, I've had a few beers, which dramatically improves my game.

GT: jacksk3llington.

DrBo42

Anyone wanna play some MP? I'm hating not being on a team with people with no mic. I'm probably the best player on this forum too. No big deal....

Also, I've had a few beers, which dramatically improves my game.

GT: jacksk3llington.

Added you. Looking for other peeps as well.

I did it on foot, never even touched the Banshees. It wasn't easy, but there's harder parts in the game. A lot harder. :lol Once you're on top of the tower, the Banshees don't even care about you anymore. You only need to be careful when going up. To be fair, they didn't use their Fuel Rod cannons on me all that often.

Top Bottom