• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

LordOfChaos

Can we talk about the Arbiter's armor?

It feels like a mixture of the armor of the arbiter (old world) and yet it has the high spine and headdress of nobility. It's cool, but it feels a bit... too fancy for the practical and genuine person that the arbiter is. I feel like the new armor is too flashy given who he is as a person. Maybe they will reveal more, but everything I've seen so far points to the armor feeling out of place.

Just a hunch, but I think he may have gone back to the ceremonial armor of Sangheili leaders pre-San'Shuum, abandoning the armor that the prophets made for them.

It does seem gaudy for his personality, but it would have important historical significance for the Sangheili getting back to self-reliance.

Korten

Banned
So... Has anyone seen the Halo 2 terminals? Like I've seen guides to find them but can't find a single video with them.

So... Has anyone seen the Halo 2 terminals? Like I've seen guides to find them but can't find a single video with them.

I've seen about 6 or 7 of them. They are all quite good so far. If you find them in the campaign, and they don't work right away, you should be able to play them directly from the Halo Channel app on Xbox.

LordOfChaos

Yeah it's weird, I havn't seen them posted on youtube yet except in german. The Halo 1 anniversary ones were up really fast. For 2 it's still just the two ones posted on the official halo page.

EBE

why are the halos halos? like why do they have landscapes and shit? aint no one on them. like what was the plan there.

BradC00

why are the halos halos? like why do they have landscapes and shit? aint no one on them. like what was the plan there.

i think the halos have landscape so when they are activated and destroy all life in the galaxy, they can create life on the halo and then start seeding the galaxy.

they are probably halo shaped for artificial gravity. the halo spins like one of those rides in at the fair and creates "gravity"

Fuchsdh

I feel it was more of convincing himself and others of human's worthlessness (yeah we're pink fleshy things, but we're not that bad :p) as well as his messiah/god complex. ''

And he is most definitely power hunger. He favored the Brutes in Halo 2 (claiming the Brutes found the Icon), and organized the Brute's overthrow of the Elite Guard. Most damning was when he was the Minister of Fortitude, he blackmailed the Prophet of Restraint with the knowledge of his illegitimate children so that the Vice Minister of Tranquility would take his place (he became Regret). Hell, I think all three Prophets (Truth, Regret, Mercy) worked to get their predecessors' positions.

Again, still don't think that's power-hungry. Is he scheming and occasionally ruthless? For sure. But I don't see his ultimate motivations as solely for personal gain.

Still, there's a lot about Truth that we don't get. For instance, Contact Harvest and Cole Protocol makes Regret out to be the one who wanted to get rid of the Elites and replace them with Brutes, while Truth went out of his way to elevate the Arbiter. In fact, of all the hierarchs, based on what we see pre-Halo 2, Truth is the one most on-board with the Elites. So you have to wonder what made him change his mind, and why he still went through with his plans when salvation was essentially a stone's throw away. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, but if they hadn't sparked the Covenant civil war... I don't see how they wouldn't have activated Halo and gotten what they wanted.

EBE

i think the halos have landscape so when they are activated and destroy all life in the galaxy, they can create life on the halo and then start seeding the galaxy.

they are probably halo shaped for artificial gravity. the halo spins like one of those rides in at the fair and creates "gravity"

it just seems a little strange. if the installation in the first game, which i just recently replayed as part of the MCC, is meant to house and contain the Flood, why have a habitat RIGHT FUCKING THERE for the Flood to grow on should they escape.

like why not lock them deep within a giant space cube with nowhere to go?

then i thought maybe they mightve been there for any emergent civilization to use as a new home should they ever find it - possibly humanity. kinda like a Mass Effect thing.

Fuchsdh

it just seems a little strange. if the installation in the first game, which i just recently replayed as part of the MCC, is meant to house and contain the Flood, why have a habitat RIGHT FUCKING THERE for the Flood to grow on should they escape.

then i thought maybe they mightve been there for any emergent civilization to use as a new home should they ever find it - possibly humanity. kinda like a Mass Effect thing.

The books give more detail that the Halos were essentially a compromise--some of the Forerunners wanted to build fortresses to protect themselves from the Flood (the Didact), some wanted to build Halos as powerful weapons (the Master Builder), and others were opposed to the power the Halo represent (the Lifeworkers.) So the Halos were made, but the Lifeworkers were placed on them as well, and used them as reserves, essentially.

Caayn

Do we've got any idea who the Spartans are that stand behind Locke when he's talking to the Arbiter in H2A?

LordOfChaos

I found all of them.

Link? I think he was asking for internet videos, not in-game.

In the forerunner trilogy of books, the rings housed multiple intelligent species, until they were re-seeded onto planets after the firing. So they also accommodated the function of the alternate plan of shield worlds as well, partly for political reasons (the Halos were an easier sell if they saved lives as well as destroying them).

I do agree that housing the Flood on one was beyond stupid for the Forerunners though.

Do we've got any idea who the Spartans are that stand behind Locke when he's talking to the Arbiter in H2A?

More of ONIs own breed of spartans for sure, but as to which characters they are, I'm guessing they're new, they may even remain no-names like several Spartan IVs and Elites.

Anyone else check out the Encyclopedia entries on the Halo Channel? I'm looking over the ones suggested by Nightfall, there's some very cool stuff there. A lot about the present state of the former Covenant races especially.

Anyone else check out the Encyclopedia entries on the Halo Channel? I'm looking over the ones suggested by Nightfall, there's some very cool stuff there. A lot about the present state of the former Covenant races especially.

There are some.great entries. Right now I'm nerding out over the Second Stories from Nightfall. Probably the most brilliant idea they've had. Really fleshes things out.
ONI is clearly going the be the "bad guys" to some capacity.

There are some.great entries. Right now I'm nerding out over the Second Stories from Nightfall. Probably the most brilliant idea they've had. Really fleshes things out.
ONI is clearly going the be the "bad guys" to some capacity.

Oh yeah, found those a little bit after I posted that. Seriously great stuff. I really liked the two in first person, but the interrogation one was great as well. The prosthetics on the alien work better than I expected.

Also, it's pretty clear that the first episode of Nightfall was trying to do waaaaaaay too much. They're trying to summarize basically the entire franchise backstory, establish the particulars of the setting for Nightfall, and cram what should have probably been 2 episodes of plot into one.

Oh yeah, found those a little bit after I posted that. Seriously great stuff. I really liked the two in first person, but the interrogation one was great as well. The prosthetics on the alien work better than I expected.

Also, it's pretty clear that the first episode of Nightfall was trying to do waaaaaaay too much. They're trying to summarize basically the entire franchise backstory, establish the particulars of the setting for Nightfall, and cram what should have probably been 2 episodes of plot into one.

Pacing was off, I agree, but hopefully the rest of the episodes will be full steam ahead.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, they even said in the interview right before it that the first episode had to do a lot of heavy lifting to get stuff out of the way, so hopefully this clears the next episodes for stronger pacing and storylines.

What's this second stories thing? Link for someone without an XBO?

Pacing was off, I agree, but hopefully the rest of the episodes will be full steam ahead.

It's not just pacing; a lot of the really bad lines make a lot more sense when you realize they're trying to cram exposition into what should just be dialogue (some of the lines when Locke & co are tracking the smuggler are especially egregious).

Yeah, they even said in the interview right before it that the first episode had to do a lot of heavy lifting to get stuff out of the way, so hopefully this clears the next episodes for stronger pacing and storylines.

What's this second stories thing? Link for someone without an XBO?

Sorry, it seems like nobody's uploading Halo Channel stuff for some reason. Second Stories are these little shorts or vignettes relating to the Nightfall episode. This one had
one that was centered around a nurse (and her family) at the hospital trying to deal with the outbreak, a more in-depth look at the interrogation of a suspect, and a look at an ONI survey of the burned out ring.
They're very good, and part of why I suspect that episode 2 of Nightfall will be much better.

I'd say access it through Halo Channel on Windows 8, but that requires a Windows 8 computer, and the code for Nightfall.

Also, the Halo Channel for W8 actually works really well. Hope the WP8 apps keeps the quality up.

zethren

Banned

If the flood were to ever break containment, they'd be right where the forerunner needed them to be: on the very machine they would use to effectively destroy them. The Forerunner were concerned with all living things, more or less the mantle, and thus created habitats to house different species for study/safekeeping.

The DNA of every sentient organism in the galaxy was housed on the Ark, which would proceed to re-seed the galaxy with life after an activation of the Halo array. Which it did, after the Didact activated it. The Halos wouldn't contain much life by default, unless purposefully placed there (notice no native life on 04, but there was native life on 05).

Fuchsdh

It's not just pacing; a lot of the really bad lines make a lot more sense when you realize they're trying to cram exposition into what should just be dialogue (some of the lines when Locke & co are tracking the smuggler are especially egregious).

Sorry, it seems like nobody's uploading Halo Channel stuff for some reason. Second Stories are these little shorts or vignettes relating to the Nightfall episode. This one had
one that was centered around a nurse (and her family) at the hospital trying to deal with the outbreak, a more in-depth look at the interrogation of a suspect, and a look at an ONI survey of the burned out ring.
They're very good, and part of why I suspect that episode 2 of Nightfall will be much better.

That, and it's nice that a part of the Xbox world (and the part I was inclined to be most interested in) is actually delivering on the rich transmedia stuff that was part of the original vision for the console.

Korten

Banned
I'd say access it through Halo Channel on Windows 8, but that requires a Windows 8 computer, and the code for Nightfall.

Also, the Halo Channel for W8 actually works really well. Hope the WP8 apps keeps the quality up.

Really sucks. Everything on Halo channel for non-MCC users just brings you to the page to buy MCC.

Just so I'm not imagining things or my memories are fuzzy...
The Forerunners aren't extinct, they're just in a different galaxy? Implying they'll soon return?

Jawmuncher

Ok I just need a quick confirmation.

So the beginning of Halo 3 is right after Halo Uprising.
In Master Cheifs case basically he was on that ship, some stuff happened, he tried to kill the prophet but couldn't, and then jumped off the ship and crashed in africa were Johnson found him.

Is that right?

LordOfChaos

The Forerunners aren't extinct, they're just in a different galaxy? Implying they'll soon return?

Unknown, all we know is
343GS thinks the lifeshaper (whether it's still the librarian or not) is alive and flew off to find her. Personally, I find it unlikely that all of the forerunners besides the didact and librarian died, I think there are likely still pockets out there that managed to get to shield worlds or some other defense, and now just avoid other species and stay in the dark, since they think they failed the mantle (and they did).

zethren

Banned

The Didact and however many Forerunner he had with him on the Ark are presumably still alive. They left the galaxy after firing the Halos, their time being "up", and leaving humanity to one day " reclaim " the Mantle.

I still hold to Bungie's canon, where humans are Forerunner. We are the re-seeded Forerunner, rising again after the Halos fired. This is why we are "reclaimers", and why humans are the only characters that can use Forerunner tech effectively if at all.

The Didact and his crew leaving the galaxy after activating the Halos, as told by Mendicant Bias, is the origin of the false Covenant religion.

Ok I just need a quick confirmation.

So the beginning of Halo 3 is right after Halo Uprising.
In Master Cheifs case basically he was on that ship, some stuff happened, he tried to kill the prophet but couldn't, and then jumped off the ship and crashed in africa were Johnson found him.

Is that right?

Yep!

Caayn

There's no hard evidence but it's implied a few times. Also I personally refuse to believe that the precursors are extinct, not counting the flood.

LordOfChaos

The Didact and his crew leaving the galaxy after activating the Halos, as told by Mendicant Bias, is the origin of the false Covenant religion.

I don't remember Silentium spelling this out? He was on the arc, pressed the button, and that was the last view we had of him? Or was it something else you got this from?

There's no hard evidence but it's implied a few times. Also I personally refuse to believe that the precursors are extinct, not counting the flood.

I'd agree with this just from thinking it through. The Precursors seeded life to other galaxies. The forerunners, while powerful, only hunted the Precursors down in this galaxy and Path Kethona. I'm sure there would have to be many of them remaining in other galaxies, as well as unfound in this one (and then maybe run away after). I doubt that all of them powdered themselves either.

zethren

Banned
I don't remember Silentium spelling this out? He was on the arc, pressed the button, and that was the last view we had of him? Or was it something else you got this from?.

I'm fairly certain it was from a Halo 3 terminal. I actually haven't finished Silentium, so I definitely didn't get it from there.

Halo 4 implies that the Didact was imprisoned on Requiem after the array was activated. Though again, I'm personally not a fan of the forerunner retcon.

LordOfChaos

Some Nightfall episode 2 stuff in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwJ-H6cj9Io

And I'm pretty sure the ur-Didact was imprisoned and tucked away before the array was fired, the librarian stunned him and then put him in the cryptum on requiem. The isoDidact fired the array a bit later. Where did Halo 4 imply otherwise?

The shield world is built to protect from it, so that's why he was in there before the array fired.

zethren

Banned
I actually just did a bit of digging around, and wasn't even aware that the Ur Didact was around. I thought it was just Bornstellar at that point. I should read Silentium.

LordOfChaos

I actually just did a bit of digging around, and wasn't even aware that the Ur Didact was around. I thought it was just Bornstellar at that point. I should read Silentium.

Yeah, the crazy dude in Halo 4 is the ur-Didact, Bornstellar/isoDidact is MIA at this point.

The Ur-Didact is the one imprisoned in Requiem. The Librarian sealed him in there so he could ponder on the Domain during the coming millennia, and help the humans once they discovered his resting place. Unfortunately for her, the Domain was destroyed when the Array fired, so the Didact had nothing but his own insanity to brood over for a hundred thousand years.

The Isodidact, aka Bornstellar, is the one who activated the Array. He's the one that remained loyal to the Librarian, and the one who we see in some of the Terminals in Halo 3. There's an epilogue to Silentium read by Greg Bear which goes into detail about what happens after he fires the rings. Basically, the Forerunners bury what remains of Mendicant Bias inside the Ark, where he is to wait for atonement. He travels to Earth, says goodbye to Riser, and says that the Forerunners will retreat from the Galaxy's affairs. Then they left.

My guess is they went to Path Kethona. That galaxy got wiped clean by the Halo array as well, so it's likely.

I'm with you on both counts. I want to see both Forerunners fighting as well as Precursors. There is no way in hell Didact and the ghost of The Librarian are the only Forerunners we will see in this trilogy. I hope to both fight and fight alongside Forerunners before the new trilogy concludes. And I hope the Precursors return is also set up by Halo 6 and we actually see it begin.

LordOfChaos

And I hope the Precursors return is also set up by Halo 6 and we actually see it begin.

I always got the feeling that while everything seems like a mess, it's all always been coming up Millhouse for the Precursors. If you think about it, they may have wanted to wipe out the forerunners and give the Mantle to humanity, and what happened...The Forerunners largely killed themselves, and the remanants likely fled the galaxy to leave it alone after their failures, and Humanity is now shooting ahead technologically to the point of dominating other species in the galaxy. Even the Covanant and the seperatist wars were just like iron striking iron to make it harder.

So basically I think the Precursors were just very, very, good planners.

Ooh, did I ever post my primordial theory here?
There's a lot of conflicting data within the forerunner trilogy about the Primordial. Some parts say it existed millions of years before the flood, and it itself says it IS Flood. The Lord of Admirals also thinks the earliest Forerunners must have imprisoned him, but it earlier says that humans communicated with him through Precursor lock technology, not Forerunner. And how would primitive forerunners lock him up in the first place? How can these things be reconciled?
My theory is that like the Forerunners deciding what to do with humanity, the Precursors were conflicted about what to do about the Forerunners who had risen up and mercilessly hunted down their species. Some had more extreme ideas, ideas to completely cleanse the galaxy and start anew. That would be the Primordial. His method for doing so was no doubt through the Flood. Like the Master Builder of the Forerunners, his ideas were too extreme, and he may have overstepped his bounds and so was locked up by his fellow Precursors, perhaps also with some forethought that if Precursors were ever wiped out, the dominant species would unlock him and thus they could have a sort of revenge in the end.
Now, what of his maybe control of the Flood while locked away? Precursors were said to be a transcendent species, above matter itself. I think that even in their powedered pre-flood form, they could think and communicate through the Organon, and were much more advanced at doing so than the Forerunners through the Domain. Thus in all the years they were (to us) inactive in the vials of powder, the Primordial convinced more and more of his fellow Precursors of his plan through their immaterial link through the Organon. They agreed upon this plan of slow infection to wipe the galaxy clean of those who would destroy them all, either to hand over the galaxy to the stewardship of humanity, or to eventually recalim it for their own - again, a parallel of how he corrupted Mendicant Bias over years of talk.

Fuchsdh

I always got the feeling that while everything seems like a mess, it's all always been coming up Millhouse for the Precursors. If you think about it, they may have wanted to wipe out the forerunners and give the Mantle to humanity, and what happened...The Forerunners largely killed themselves, and the remanants likely fled the galaxy to leave it alone after their failures, and Humanity is now shooting ahead technologically to the point of dominating other species in the galaxy. Even the Covanant and the seperatist wars were just like iron striking iron to make it harder.

So basically I think the Precursors were just very, very, good planners.

Ooh, did I ever post my primordial theory here?

That's a solid theory, and one that, even if it never gets explored, I find interesting.

Sci-fi races are always more interesting when they aren't treated as monolithic, and I think that was the great advantage of Greg Bear's books in particular and 343's work in general taking over the universe; the Forerunner were turned from an inscrutable entity into what they really could only have been; a powerful race that ultimately fell due to failures from within inasmuch as pressures without.

Likewise, it would be far more interesting to me if the Precursors themselves were divided, and their "legacy" is essentially the bad parts of their race--so malevolent to the end that it was better to essentially wipe the galaxy clean by an agent of their own creation than let their dominance be challenged.

LordOfChaos

All Halo 2 Anniversary Terminals in 1080p 60fps in one video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIWnxqf4O6Q

Finally! Thanks for posting! Looks like my guess about Thels new gold swag was right, there's an older set of Arbiter armor in the video that looks much like it. I have not seen the two terminals posted on the official xbox youtube page in this yet though, and I though they were the first and second ones?

That's a solid theory, and one that, even if it never gets explored, I find interesting.

Thanks! And i agree 100% about the monolithic bit, we know the forerunners weren't monolithic, we know humans aren't, none of the covanant species are (I guess the lekgolo come the closest, but even they have disagreements), so why have most theories so far assumed the Precursors are? I suspect the truth (if there is one, if 343/Bungie have even made up this stuff yet) is that the Precursors were quite divided as well, even if they were a telepathic race that could reach consensus quickly, individuals must have had varying opinions. The Mantle vs going Flood and killing everything is a good hint in that direction.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thanks! And i agree 100% about the monolithic bit, we know the forerunners weren't monolithic, we know humans aren't, none of the covanant species are (I guess the lekgolo come the closest, but even they have disagreements), so why have most theories so far assumed the Precursors are? I suspect the truth (if there is one, if 343/Bungie have even made up this stuff yet) is that the Precursors were quite divided as well, even if they were a telepathic race that could reach consensus quickly, individuals must have had varying opinions. The Mantle vs going Flood and killing everything is a good hint in that direction.

Didn't the Forerunners turn around and kill the Precursors? Not just kill them, but they hunted them into extinction, the only possible survivors having fled the galaxy.

That may have had an impact on their plans too. Even the most dedicated pacifist may change their tune when they and their entire species is facing oblivion.

Still interested on how the Forerunners could have managed to turn the tables like that though.

Top Bottom