• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Random17

Terminals seem to be taking a similar route to Halo 4's terminals; extra details on already established plot points.

We knew that Regret was not looking or expecting to find the human homeworld in Halo 2 itself, and we also knew about how the station near Io picked up the first sign of contact.

I'm half expecting a Mendicant Bias terminal in the mission High Charity or Gravemind.

I get the strong feeling that showing blue team in the terminals is a way for 343 to introduce them to Halo gamers who don't read the books, in preparation for Halo 5. Even more chance they'll be in there going off this, I'd say.

Some of those scenes seem directly from the books, I don't remember if it was The Flood or Fall of Reach when that dude on the distant observatory noticed all the Covanant signatures first. And then the other one, that must be a fragment of Mendicant Bias. Man, I want him in Halo 5 too!

While I do agree that they're ramping up to the introduction of Blue Team in game, they're gonna need a lot more than just the terminals. You can't just drop in characters with deep existing ties to the main cast, not without a lot of setup and justification. As glad as I am to see Fred and Linda even tangentially connected to one of the games, 343's still got a lot of work ahead of them.

And no, so far as I can tell they're wholly original scenes. I know the bit you're talking about in Fall of Reach, and that guy's reaction was pretty much the deliberate opposite of what this guy did.

No, just, no.

Constructive.

Can't wait to see all of these.. so much juicy goodness..

Terminal 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB5yso8d3gA

Terminal 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwgJ1FDU57U

I don't remember what was covered in Terminal 1 being really discussed before, but it sounds familiar. I don't think Halo 2 really covered the detailed how's and why's of Regrets appearance on Earth.

Really awesome.

Luminaries, sneaky Regret, Blue Team, even the Uneven Elephant... These ARE juicy.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is this a new race that 343 is introducing through Nightfalll?

Zwikm4g.jpg

source

Fuchsdh

Yeah, they're new. Interesting concept ("covenant fringe"), but they're pretty clearly limited by the budget.

Indeed. Some people in the OT were complaining they don't look alien enough... but either you make another CG alien that's not going to look good like the Elites, or you do cheaper prosthetics. Such is the reality of sci-fi. They've certainly got a generic 90s-2000s sci-fi look to them, but technically it still looks well done. Interested in learning more about them, because they definitely look like the guys we saw in Escalation.

Indeed. Some people in the OT were complaining they don't look alien enough... but either you make another CG alien that's not going to look good like the Elites, or you do cheaper prosthetics. Such is the reality of sci-fi. They've certainly got a generic 90s-2000s sci-fi look to them, but technically it still looks well done. Interested in learning more about them, because they definitely look like the guys we saw in Escalation.

Which guys? I don't remember

:/ that voice acting in Terminal 2. FFS.

LOL yeah.. well, just the Spartans really.. I justify it as saying perhaps they're not great communicators :) But otherwise the voiceovers sound find.

Regarding the new Alien(s).. sounds cool.. makes sense there would be more than just a handful of sentient species in the universe.

Fuchsdh

Which guys? I don't remember

There's a quick shot as Ray is looking over the slaver camp looking for Thorne (interestingly, he's with a Grunt without an apparent methane apparatus, which I dunno if it's a limit of the drawing or it's intended to be a hint of something either.)

Woah, I'm surprised. Didn't think we would really get any new species in the Halo verse. Guess I'll be adding a species to the main post when ever Halopedia makes a page for it.

Seems like they may be planning to introduce a bunch more, or at least set up the introduction of any future species they might want to bring in. The covenant fringe is an interesting concept.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Did stop reading the halo books, guys give me a hint, which books should I read (or reread
) to get back in the lore?

Korten

Banned
Seems like they may be planning to introduce a bunch more, or at least set up the introduction of any future species they might want to bring in. The covenant fringe is an interesting concept.

Yeah I really like the idea of the covenant fringe. Wonder what each of them think of Humans or better question. How many species where in the CF?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Fall of Reach is always a great pick. All the Nylund stuff, really. Then, in terms of importance, I'd take a look at the Forerunner trilogy.

Fall of Reach, The Flood, Ghosts of Onyx, yes I already read them in the past and own them.

I think I stopped with first strike!

But I just started reading the kindle version of fall of reach again.

Yeah I really like the idea of the covenant fringe. Wonder what each of them think of Humans or better question. How many species where in the CF?

I think that's the only reference to it we've gotten so far, though we may get more with Nightfall. No actual figures so far.

It kind of reminds me of SG-1, for some reason.

Trey

Did stop reading the halo books, guys give me a hint, which books should I read (or reread
) to get back in the lore?

The general, lore building books are Contact Harvest, Fall of Reach, and the Forerunner trilogy (Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium). If you can get your hands on the Halsey journal (came with the limited edition of Halo: Reach), that's a good one too.

If you want a direct relation to Halo 4 (the most recent entity in the canon outside of the comics), the Kilo Five Trilogy handles that. That's Glasslands, The Thursday War, and Mortal Dictata.

My personal order of Halo books is Silentium > Fall of Reach > Ghosts of Onyx > Cryptum > First Strike > Contact Harvest > Evolutions. the rest don't even rate to me.

So now that the floodgates are open, what are your thoughts on the added MCC cutscenes at the start and finish of H2A?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRAT-nzO-G4

Cheif gone Awol confirmed

Very interesting. Not sold on Locke's performance, but I'm liking what I'm hearing about the plot. Seems unlikely that the two other Spartans are
Fred and Linda
, as some people guessed, since they're definitely wearing Mark VII armor, which seems to be ONI exclusive for the moment.

Fuchsdh

Very interesting. Not sold on Locke's performance, but I'm liking what I'm hearing about the plot. Seems unlikely that the two other Spartans are
Fred and Linda
, as some people guessed, since they're definitely wearing Mark VII armor, which seems to be ONI exclusive for the moment.

He definitely feels less used to voice acting, but he's playing a fairly straight soldier at this point so it's not much of a hindrance (it also is kind of hard to compare to the scene-stealing gravitas that is Keith David and Steve Downes.)

LordOfChaos

Fred and Linda

Agreed, I think they're just more new spartans, the ONI exclusive kind. They're in Lockes new armor type, so nearly certain they're the new breed.

The voice acting stood out less in the epilogue for me than in the prologue, in a good way. I think I just got used to it. But I do think it should be perfected by Halo 5, while this is fine for MCC. But yeah, I think even a good VA would sound drab compared to Keith David's Thel.

So now that the floodgates are open, what are your thoughts on the added MCC cutscenes at the start and finish of H2A?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRAT-nzO-G4

Cheif gone Awol confirmed

Needless to say, I am teased.
The possibility of Arbiter and Locke in combat together pumps me up hardcore.
Between this and Nightfall, I'm liking Locke. He really is the good solider though.
Wonder if/how that'll change

LordOfChaos

Needless to say, I am teased.
The possibility of Arbiter and Locke in combat together pumps me up hardcore.
Between this and Nightfall, I'm liking Locke. He really is the good solider though.
Wonder if/how that'll change

Yeah, and the whole squad of multicolored ONI spartans fighting alongside a squad of Sangheili. Interesting indeed. From what the ships pilot seemed to say, they're fighting other Covanant, so probably Juls forces.

I wonder if the Arbiter will stay with Locke as he hunts down Master Cheif. Then, if there's a conflict of interests, who would Arbiter side with?

Yeah, and the whole squad of multicolored ONI spartans fighting alongside a squad of Sangheili. Interesting indeed. From what the ships pilot seemed to say, they're fighting other Covanant, so probably Juls forces.

I wonder if the Arbiter will stay with Locke as he hunts down Master Cheif. Then, if there's a conflict of interests, who would Arbiter side with?

I feel like Arbiter
will spend his time making Locke question what he believes, trying to make him more thoughtful, and when the three finally catch up Arbiter tries to get them to cooperate.

EDIT: Not sure if mentioned yet, but Nightfall's Aiken confirmed as Randall-037
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/characters/randall-aiken

At the very least it confirms the UNSC hasn't gone full retard, even with Parangosky trying to start shit back on Sanghelios.

Korten

Banned
Hey guys, I updated the Current section of the main post and the species section to include the Yonhet.

:)

Also I liked episode 1 of Nightfall! Even though I know many probably won't. :(

Random17

Hey guys, I updated the Current section of the main post and the species section to include the Yonhet.

In the bigger scheme of things the first episode of Nightfall means little. It wasn't great but the later episodes are more important like Forward Unto Dawn.

I liked episode 1. I mean, set your expectations at web series instead of at Game of Thrones and it's enjoyable. Especially if you're following the lore.

I feel like Arbiter
will spend his time making Locke question what he believes, trying to make him more thoughtful, and when the three finally catch up Arbiter tries to get them to cooperate.

EDIT: Not sure if mentioned yet, but Nightfall's Aiken confirmed as Randall-037
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/characters/randall-aiken

Similar to how Arbiter had his mind opened half-way through Halo 2, Locke will have his opened half-way through Halo 5. In Halo 2, it was Gravemind who brought Chief and Arbiter together. Who will it be in Halo 5? Maybe Chief, Arbiter, and Locke team up to fight the return of the Flood (or worse?).

jem0208

I just watched on of the terminals in the MCC. It showed the Heritic Leader talking to 343 Guilty Spark where 343 explains that the Halos are actually weapons.

It got me thinking, why do the Prophets believe the rings are some "Gateway to Paradise"? Are we ever told how they came about to believe this?

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I just watched on of the terminals in the MCC. It showed the Heritic Leader talking to 343 Guilty Spark where 343 explains that the Halos are actually weapons.

It got me thinking, why do the Prophets believe the rings are some "Gateway to Paradise"? Are we ever told how they came about to believe this?
They misinterpreted the word 'reclaimer' as 'reclaimation' and it snowballed from that point.

LordOfChaos

At the very least it confirms the UNSC hasn't gone full retard, even with Parangosky trying to start shit back on Sanghelios.

I think the UNSC was always somewhat more honorable than Parangoskys ONI. Though if Locke is any indication, these are ONIs own new breed of Spartans, not UNSCs.

That made me feel bad for killing the heretic in Halo 2...Dude was literally trying to save the galaxy.

Are the Halo 2 Anniversary terminals all up anywhere yet?

Fuchsdh

Ultimately, we don't know, but I think the indications are that all the Hierarchs actually believe in the Great Journey. To me, Truth's ultimate plan doesn't make much sense unless he actually does believe —otherwise he would be nuking himself when Tartarus activated the ring.

The only fly that makes you wonder why they didn't figure it out is that they were questioning 343 Guilty Spark—you'd think that he'd let slip what's going on, since he's nothing if not upfront if you give him a direct question. But I think that might be where the Prophets shot themselves in the foot—they never asked the questions they needed to because they were blinded by faith.

I've always wanted a sort of side story detailing Truth's thinking behind his actions. As many have noted, how Bungie presented him in Halo 3 felt like it robbed him of some of his subtlety, but there's also the fact that it seems odd to go ahead with his Brute uprising plans if you're so close to salvation.

As for the Heretic Leader---that terminal was already in CEA, or at least parts of it. They chopped off the first bit, and then spruced up the animation and shortened some lines compared to the original (which is a shame, because I liked the idea of why there are no Heretic Jackals being that 343 Guilty Spark wasted all of them :p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v105JzJrBmg

LordOfChaos

^That also makes me wonder why GS didn't do any blasting while Tartarus was taking him, or the prophets were putting him in the containment field.

Fuchsdh

^That also makes me wonder why GS didn't do any blasting while Tartarus was taking him, or the prophets were putting him in the containment field.

Well, aside from the obvious answer, that Bungie didn't decide to give him any offensive capability until Halo 3? :p He could have nuked Chief when they had the showdown in Two Betrayals too, or done something besides putter around in PoA Engineering. :)

There's actually a nice bit in Broken Circle where we see a monitor go into full combat mode.

Can we talk about the Arbiter's armor?

It feels like a mixture of the armor of the arbiter (old world) and yet it has the high spine and headdress of nobility. It's cool, but it feels a bit... too fancy for the practical and genuine person that the arbiter is. I feel like the new armor is too flashy given who he is as a person. Maybe they will reveal more, but everything I've seen so far points to the armor feeling out of place.

Can we talk about the Arbiter's armor?

It feels like a mixture of the armor of the arbiter (old world) and yet it has the high spine and headdress of nobility. It's cool, but it feels a bit... too fancy for the practical and genuine person that the arbiter is. I feel like the new armor is too flashy given who he is as a person. Maybe they will reveal more, but everything I've seen so far points to the armor feeling out of place.

I think you've got to consider his new position. Part of the reason kings historically wore finery is because having that sort of visual status actually allows them to do their job better. Being visually impressive is extremely important in a culture that prizes status and the visual displays thereof.

Finished Broken Circle last night finally.

Thought it was mostly good, the writing style grew on me, and I was genuinely interested to see how things turned out.

I was actually shocked when it jumped to 2552! I thought the whole book was going to be in the past a la the Greg Bear series. Curious to see how this ties into the stories moving forward.. why haven't we seen Enduring Bias since 2553?

Ultimately, we don't know, but I think the indications are that all the Hierarchs actually believe in the Great Journey. To me, Truth's ultimate plan doesn't make much sense unless he actually does believe —otherwise he would be nuking himself when Tartarus activated the ring.

The only fly that makes you wonder why they didn't figure it out is that they were questioning 343 Guilty Spark—you'd think that he'd let slip what's going on, since he's nothing if not upfront if you give him a direct question. But I think that might be where the Prophets shot themselves in the foot—they never asked the questions they needed to because they were blinded by faith.

I've always wanted a sort of side story detailing Truth's thinking behind his actions. As many have noted, how Bungie presented him in Halo 3 felt like it robbed him of some of his subtlety, but there's also the fact that it seems odd to go ahead with his Brute uprising plans if you're so close to salvation.]

Truth was insane as well. He knew the truth about the mistranslation, but he would give up all his power and control if the Covenant knew that humans were the true Reclaimers. After awhile he just started to believe his own lies.

Fuchsdh

Truth was insane as well. He knew the truth about the mistranslation, but he would give up all his power and control if the Covenant knew that humans were the true Reclaimers. After awhile he just started to believe his own lies.

What makes him insane? If the Covenant is a lie, his race is essentially doomed without the protection of the Elites. Aside from humanity, pretty much everyone was better off keeping things business as usual. Not saying he didn't have his own schemes, but I don't think he was insane or even particularly power-hungry (recall that he was instrumental in keeping the Covenant together even before he was a Hierarch, by making sure everyone received their share of relics, and trying to stop the Kig-Yar from poisoning the Grunts.)

Blinded to the truth by what he was doing? Sure. But that doesn't make one insane.

What makes him insane? If the Covenant is a lie, his race is essentially doomed without the protection of the Elites. Aside from humanity, pretty much everyone was better off keeping things business as usual. Not saying he didn't have his own schemes, but I don't think he was insane or even particularly power-hungry (recall that he was instrumental in keeping the Covenant together even before he was a Hierarch, by making sure everyone received their share of relics, and trying to stop the Kig-Yar from poisoning the Grunts.)

Blinded to the truth by what he was doing? Sure. But that doesn't make one insane.

I feel it was more of convincing himself and others of human's worthlessness (yeah we're pink fleshy things, but we're not that bad :p) as well as his messiah/god complex. ''

And he is most definitely power hunger. He favored the Brutes in Halo 2 (claiming the Brutes found the Icon), and organized the Brute's overthrow of the Elite Guard. Most damning was when he was the Minister of Fortitude, he blackmailed the Prophet of Restraint with the knowledge of his illegitimate children so that the Vice Minister of Tranquility would take his place (he became Regret). Hell, I think all three Prophets (Truth, Regret, Mercy) worked to get their predecessors' positions.

Top Bottom