• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

LordOfChaos

Ooh, glad we're talking about the Lekgolo, I've been wondering about this.

It takes multiple worms to become an intelligent entity, we know this. It also seems they require some sort of artificial shell to hold them together. I'm wondering then about this chicken and egg scenario, how did they form intelligent larger organisms pre-covanant so that they were intelligent enough to reach tier 3? And to have some sort of combat forms to fight the covanant very effectively?

So besides luring them in for a trap, what could be the reason for the mimicry?

I'd love to see their more intelligent side, and have this be a way to communicate to a group of humans...Either "this is the way", or "do not go here, flood", or something like that. Remember, this was a tier 3 race before the covanant, these aren't dumb worms that just do what they're told.

Fuchsdh

Yeeeeaah, but it filled my hunger for more BioShock at least.

Expect this to be line, writing-wise, too.

Well, yeah, it was solid from the lore standpoint, it just didn't really do anything besides that until the last third, when it discovered having the audience identify with a character might be a good idea. Hopefully this one is better; haven't read any of his work aside from Rapture so there's hope.

Toa TAK

Banned
Well, yeah, it was solid from the lore standpoint, it just didn't really do anything besides that until the last third, when it discovered having the audience identify with a character might be a good idea. Hopefully this one is better; haven't read any of his work aside from Rapture so there's hope.

Same here, although I'm not expecting much from this.

Akai__

In the Gravemind cutscene from Halo 2 we see the Monitor of Installation 05, right?

Do we know if other Monitors have been found? The Infinity's mission was to find the remaining Halo rings, iirc. I wonder, if we'll see something in that direction.

Fuchsdh

In the Gravemind cutscene from Halo 2 we see the Monitor of Installation 05, right?

Do we know if other Monitors have been found? The Infinity's mission was to find the remaining Halo rings right? I wonder, if we'll see something in that direction.

Aside from 343 and 2401 we've seen 859 Static Carillon and 686 Ebullient Prism. Installation 03's monitor is Abject Testament but we haven't seen him in the games at all, which is curious.

Akai__

Aside from 343 and 2401 we've seen 859 Static Carillon and 686 Ebullient Prism. Installation 03's monitor is Abject Testament but we haven't seen him in the games at all, which is curious.

Where did we see those?

Edit: I think it was in the Terminal videos. I remember it vaguely. Need to rewatch those.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Where did we see those?

Edit: I think it was in the Terminal videos. I remember it vaguely. Need to rewatch those.

686 - is from The Line installation from the Bloodlines comics.
859 - is from the Forge installation where the Composers are kept that Didact is after in the latest Halo: Escalation comics.

mcrommert

Banned

I end up naming my computers after forerunner Ai...totally forgot about 859 Static Carillon

Next computer

Well, I noticed a few grammatical issues, so hopefully that's been edited a bit tighter for the ship?

(Also this is going to be the kind of author who pisses off people who hate the "verb adverb" style of writing.)

Holy verb adverb is right! Wow.

Takes a little getting used to but in the end it's fine for me I guess. Excited to get this in my meaty paws. Wish the Halo 2 Anniversary soundtrack was on the same day.

Korten

Banned
Wanted to read the book, strange that it arrived at my college but I got no email from the package pick up place to pick it up. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Advanced Warfare arrived yesterday with no incident, so eh.

Also will update the thread. Going to add to the title (Now discussing: Halo: Broken Circle.)

Fuchsdh

I'll try and start in on the read tonight. Getting it digitally either B&N or Apple, because Amazon's publishing crap they pull and their DRM is not worth a buck or two lower price.

Forerunner trilogy (and to a lesser extent, Contact: Harvest) kind of soured me on the Halo lore. I would love for Nylund to get back to writing Halo books.

Anyway, I'll wait for reviews on these Covenant stories before I make my move.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'll try and start in on the read tonight. Getting it digitally either B&N or Apple, because Amazon's publishing crap they pull and their DRM is not worth a buck or two lower price.

Give in to the Kindle. Accept no inferior rival.

I'm going very slow on this book. Smelling the roses and all.

LordOfChaos

Still, better than the Traviss books.

Rebellious opinion time: So you mean it is thoroughly enjoyable? I did get a bit of whiplash going from the breakneck pace of Ghosts of Onyx to much slower Kilo-5, but I still enjoyed the story and characters by the end. And BB is the best AI.
(should I hide now?)

Toa TAK

Banned
Forerunner trilogy (and to a lesser extent, Contact: Harvest) kind of soured me on the Halo lore. I would love for Nylund to get back to writing Halo books.

Anyway, I'll wait for reviews on these Covenant stories before I make my move.
I feel the same just in general of 343i takeover on the EU.

But I'll follow the story to the ends of the Earf.

Fuchsdh

Rebellious opinion time: So you mean it is thoroughly enjoyable? I did get a bit of whiplash going from the breakneck pace of Ghosts of Reach to Kilo-5, but I still enjoyed the story and characters by the end. And BB is the best AI.
(should I hide now?)

I'm with you in parts. But to me, the K5 trilogy suffers from a double-whammy of audience expectations (people heard "post-Ghosts of Onyx trilogy" and never let it go) and the trilogy itself serving masters other than its own story. The first book had to wrap up plot threads that could have been their own book series, the second had to prep people for Halo 4; it was only with the third book that it seemed like we got to the story Traviss wanted to tell.

I did like several of the characters, especially BB and Phillips, and I appreciated the time we spent with the Elites and Jackals. I also think technically that Traviss is a good writer (although she definitely did too much of the "as the humans say".)

Rebellious opinion time: So you mean it is thoroughly enjoyable? I did get a bit of whiplash going from the breakneck pace of Ghosts of Reach to Kilo-5, but I still enjoyed the story and characters by the end. And BB is the best AI.
(should I hide now?)

My issues with the Traviss books mostly revolve around how she handled existing canon. The character of Halsey especially. I don't mind the view that she's a monster (because honestly, she kinda is), but there were huge segments devoted to hammering that in at great length, and with little to no response, and with great willingness to alter existing canon to get there (Fall of Reach Halsey was unwilling to lie to the children in the Spartan II program, Kilo 5 Halsey was). She did the same thing with her Star Wars books as well, apparently, so that's not really a surprise.

Otherwise, it was a fairly good series. But seriously, so much of it revolves around her expressing her views of Halsey that it ends up screwing the whole thing up.

For a fun time, check the trope pages for each book. Glasslands gets a decent sized page, Thursday war is a stub, Mortal Dictata doesn't even get an image. With the way the series is set up, despite the books arguably getting better, it's hard to care by the end.

Monocle

My issues with the Traviss books mostly revolve around how she handled existing canon. The character of Halsey especially. I don't mind the view that she's a monster (because honestly, she kinda is), but there were huge segments devoted to hammering that in at great length, and with little to no response, and with great willingness to alter existing canon to get there (Fall of Reach Halsey was unwilling to lie to the children in the Spartan II program, Kilo 5 Halsey was). She did the same thing with her Star Wars books as well, apparently, so that's not really a surprise.

Otherwise, it was a fairly good series. But seriously, so much of it revolves around her expressing her views of Halsey that it ends up screwing the whole thing up.

For a fun time, check the trope pages for each book. Glasslands gets a decent sized page, Thursday war is a stub, Mortal Dictata doesn't even get an image. With the way the series is set up, despite the books arguably getting better, it's hard to care by the end.
I'd like to second all of this.

H2A Heretic Prologue cut-scene with shite sound, , entire missing bits, visually de-synced and not even complete.

And posted all day yesterday in the main Halo community thread. So, no.

There was another vid floating around with better audio and minor framerate issues (at least the guy didn't pause in the middle of it). The full cutscene really is a bookend. More or less ends with Arbiter getting ready for "storytime" and goes right into the opening cutscene from Halo 2.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There was another vid floating around with better audio and minor framerate issues (at least the guy didn't pause in the middle of it). The full cutscene really is a bookend. More or less ends with Arbiter getting ready for "storytime" and goes right into the opening cutscene from Halo 2.

I'm quite aware there was a better video. :)

At chapter 3 of Broken Circle. I read so slowly.

Fuchsdh

Can't wait to see all of these.. so much juicy goodness..

Terminal 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB5yso8d3gA

Terminal 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwgJ1FDU57U

I don't remember what was covered in Terminal 1 being really discussed before, but it sounds familiar. I don't think Halo 2 really covered the detailed how's and why's of Regrets appearance on Earth.

We got a few hints here and there. Regret wasn't looking for the human homeworld, they were looking for the Ark; but this specifically spells it out.

Wish Fred and Kelly were in the right armor, though... confuses the hell out of me what time periods things are supposed to be in.

LordOfChaos

Terminal 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB5yso8d3gA

Terminal 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwgJ1FDU57U

I don't remember what was covered in Terminal 1 being really discussed before, but it sounds familiar. I don't think Halo 2 really covered the detailed how's and why's of Regrets appearance on Earth.

I get the strong feeling that showing blue team in the terminals is a way for 343 to introduce them to Halo gamers who don't read the books, in preparation for Halo 5. Even more chance they'll be in there going off this, I'd say.

Some of those scenes seem directly from the books, I don't remember if it was The Flood or Fall of Reach when that dude on the distant observatory noticed all the Covanant signatures first. And then the other one, that must be a fragment of Mendicant Bias. Man, I want him in Halo 5 too!

Top Bottom