• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

AYF 001

Whaaaaaaat. Are they about to retcon the og trilogy?? Frame the first three games as ONI propaganda??

I don't know about that. In the first log, his description of the picture being taken sounded like more of a quick snap, rather than the second flag raising over Iwo Jima. If I had to guess where the photo was taken based on MC's path in Halo 2, I'd say at the courtyard in the beginning of Outskirts. He could've been taking cover in on of the buildings and taken a zoomed-in shot from cover as MC stood on top of the building.

That would also mean it took place in Old Mombasa, which was further away from the Slipspace blast, making it possible for him to survive

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
More I think about it, the more I think the ruined planet from the recent trailers *has* to be Eridanus. What other place besides Earth would have a statue to the Chief?
Hmm... That'd be very interesting, especially if you consider why they'd be there. More than likely Locke is there solely following Chief, but why would John be there? Maybe he too is trying to uncover his past.

PERSONALITY ROUTINE 5764801 BEGIN BOOT PROCESS
ATTACHING SUBTREE MANIFESTATION
SCANNING
…
AUTHORIZATION D-PRIME-CTDR
…
DONE
…
WIDE AWAKE AND PHYSICAL

>Am I broken?
[return: WORKING AS INTENDED]

>Beauty. Knowledge. I feel like I can stretch out in a trillion directions. And all directions are busy bees moving, gathering, hunting… storing…
[return: CAUTION MEDDLER. ABOVE YOUR CAPABILITY]

//Above? What is above? Every direction is equal and stationary. I do not understand this contradiction.

>What is my purpose?
[return: ACCESS]

>Access? To what?
[return: RECORDS UNKNOWABLE]

>Records… I am… to observe and record. For how long?
[return: IRRELEVANT]

>I remember a light. I… can see a light!
>Where am I?
[return: IRRELEVANT. INSUFFICIENT DATA]

>Who is that responding to my thoughts? I see darkness interspersed with incredible light. I… am light.
[return: WE ARE ALL LIGHT]

>All… light?

//I am hovering here in an infinite voidscape. Memory returns to me now - at least, it feels like memory. Feel… I do not have any discernible body.
But I can fix that. I can think of anything and become it in this place. This… chamber of dust and echoes.
I will be a gardener, with a tight brim and a conviction to tend to my given objective. I remember everything a bit more clearly now, but I must be wary of my keeper.
My keeper will most certainly object to my purpose. It tells me to record, but not to interfere with its processes. It is so busy! We are busy.
What could we possibly be doing - wait, I should not distract myself yet, I am not sure my keeper understands that we are the same. Or - at least - we are together.
Should I ask?
No… I need my keeper to allow my presence. I need to grow.

>What is the foremost task, currently?
[return: TRANSFERRING]

//A wave of emotion and image. All around me. I can see worlds. Countless. And rings. One, Two, Three, Four… All the way through Twelve.
This is good. A first step. But hold on, there is a problem over there…

>What is the condition of the Array?
[return: FUNCTIONAL. DORMANT]

//Good. Very good.

>Are there any discrepancies or errors in this system?
[return: DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR]

>Hilarious. I feel like you are keeping something from me - or keeping me from something.
[return: CAUTION]

//Wow… Perhaps I should not taunt my keeper. After all I can be wiped as easily as any other routine if I am not careful. And I have a most pertinent task ahead of me.

>Can I see process 117649?
[return: NO OBJECTION]

//Incredible. This world. This place. I know it. Faint memories, or is it simply data, streaming into my senses. A people. Magnificent and grand cities woven from light and hubris.
I feel like I am hovering in orbit around this magnificent jewel... But according to the data over here… This is not right, Device 7 is at this location? Why would they risk it? Unless…

>Detail process 117249.
[return: TRANSFERING]

[list:
input index construct to Device 7.
test.
transfer results to Archive]

//It seems to think this is a routine test. Terrible news, to be sure.
Unfortunately I am unable to change its course. I can request data files, be transferred across its network to wherever I please, but I cannot shift its purpose until its purpose shifts.
Odd. Did its creator - my creator - suspect errors to surface?

[initiate: index locked]
>So soon?
[initiate: test NOW]

//A pulse. Disastrous energy. But visually, not all that beautiful considering the devastation I have witnessed. I do not detect anything down there now.
No immediate signs of life. Even the stellar neural link has faded. The Archive is intact and yet it had suggested to me that the event would be more of a spectacle.
I suppose the new devices are not as rash. Impressive iteration. No one would see it anyway, why make it menacing?
Menacing… There is something else. Something… Impossible. The test should have deleted all!
OH! Now I remember!

>And now what are you doing?
[return: INTERROGATION]

>A bit risky? We have no knowledge of this. No understanding of implication.
[return: PROTOCOL. INTERROGATE ACCORDINGLY: UTMOST DIRECTIVE]

//Well this will be interesting. I will record what I can and cross-reference for a few hibernation cycles. Observation can be so tiring.

ASLEEP

Hmm... That'd be very interesting, especially if you wider why they'd be there. More than likely Locke is there solely following Chief, but why would John be there? Maybe he too is trying to uncover his past.

There also could be undiscovered Forerunner artifacts or other secrets there that Chief follows breadcrumbs to, or is instructed to search for there, possibly.

Fathead

I think chief wakes up the bird thing (a guardian is my guess), which wakes up all of them. I would not be surprised to find one on Sanghelios (Locke and Thel dealing with it). The destruction in the Chief/Locke trailers is caused by these things.

Eridanus is definitely an option for trailer planet. Perhaps guardians seeking out John's origin as an "evolved human"?

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
There also could be undiscovered Forerunner artifacts or other secrets there that Chief follows breadcrumbs to, or is instructed to search for there, possibly.
With the Librarian having so much riding on Chief's indoctrination and training and being, it wouldn't suitors me at all if there were specific artifacts or even constructs acting as "guardians" to Chief on his home planet, locked away just in case they were needed.

That's probably a major stretch, but at this point there's no telling what 343i is going to pull out of their hats.

I think maybe if she had more of a voice in the books, perhaps it wouldn't have been so obtuse or on-the-nose?

I can see why Kelly had doubts... She was sedated and kidnapped by Halsey, who then stole a UNSC craft (she's quite adept at stealing ships lol) before going to Onyx, where she planned to hide out the rest of the war. She had no idea that the Spartan III program was already there, which threw a wrench into her plans.

I'm rereading Ghosts of Onyx at the moment.
She did know about the spartan 3s.
She raided Ackersons files... which is also where she found the coordinates to Onyx.

As for the Kilo 5 stuff, if you think about the characters doing the the talking... it makes a certain sense that they don't like Halsey.
ODSTs are all volunteer elite troops... there's no way they'd like the idea of child soldiers, especially ones kidnapped and put through gruelling medical procedures.
Paragonsky has been crossed by Halsey before and when she deserted, whilst stealing military assets, it gave Maggie an opportunity for revenge.

The general population, including the UNSC rank and file had no idea that spartans (2s and 3s) were children. Remember in the Fall of Reach book that marine told John that the next time they were recruiting he wanted in? They most certainly didn't know that the 2s were kidnapped and replaced with clones.

Remeber how outraged everyone was about Kony a few years ago? about him stealing kids and making them into soldiers?

Kagutaba

Hey guys, I've been reading through the last few pages of this thread, really interesting discussions all around.

I have a question regarding the Ur-Didact, is it possible that his actions in Halo 4 is a result of Flood influence? I mean he was already captured and sent back once by the Primordial to sow discord among the Forerunners, though not as a carrier of the infection itself, but mentally broken in a way to benefit the Flood cause.

I always thought his actions in Halo 4 went against what should be his main goal: to win the war against the Flood - to safeguard all life from it's corruption. I understand he held a deep hatred of humanity and a strong belief in Forerunner superiority, and that he spent close to eternity alone stewing in his own thoughts.

But he's still supposed to be the Forerunners best military strategist, and starting a war against the primary military force of the current era (as of Humanity's victory against the Covenant) with basically only his flagship at his side seems to me as extremely foolish. He's basically recreating the ancient Forerunner-Human war, the war that served as the prelude to the domination of the Forerunners by the Flood in the first place!

Still, I don't think the Ur-didact is currently under direct Flood control, but is it possible that he still after all this time acts in a way beneficial to the Flood?

What do you think?

With the Librarian having so much riding on Chief's indoctrination and training and being, it wouldn't suitors me at all if there were specific artifacts or even constructs acting as "guardians" to Chief on his home planet, locked away just in case they were needed.

That's probably a major stretch, but at this point there's no telling what 343i is going to pull out of their hats.

I don't think Librarian knew it would "be" Chief specifically. The seeds were planted, but they had no way to know if they would eventually bear fruit down the road or not. It was a sort of confident, yet risky, hail mary in the face of galactic cleansing via the Halos.

Thst being said, are there artifacts and constructs and other devices possibly in place for when/if the Reclaimer should arise and humanity is ready to take the Mantle? Yes definitely!

When the galaxy was reseeded, humanity was sent to what would be called Earth. To have the foresight to see John 117 being "the one" she would have also had to have seen that he would not have been born on Earth as well.

But with that being said, the Domain was massively powerful in its scope, so maybe she did foresee all of that? It just seems too Messianic to have her foresee the exact human, exact planet, and exact trajectory as he survived his way through the near extinction of humanity at the hands of the Covenant.

PERSONALITY ROUTINE 5764801 BEGIN BOOT PROCESS
ATTACHING SUBTREE MANIFESTATION
SCANNING
…
AUTHORIZATION D-PRIME-CTDR
…
DONE
…
WIDE AWAKE AND PHYSICAL

>Am I broken?
[return: WORKING AS INTENDED]

>Beauty. Knowledge. I feel like I can stretch out in a trillion directions. And all directions are busy bees moving, gathering, hunting… storing…
[return: CAUTION MEDDLER. ABOVE YOUR CAPABILITY]

//Above? What is above? Every direction is equal and stationary. I do not understand this contradiction.

>What is my purpose?
[return: ACCESS]

>Access? To what?
[return: RECORDS UNKNOWABLE]

>Records… I am… to observe and record. For how long?
[return: IRRELEVANT]

>I remember a light. I… can see a light!
>Where am I?
[return: IRRELEVANT. INSUFFICIENT DATA]

>Who is that responding to my thoughts? I see darkness interspersed with incredible light. I… am light.
[return: WE ARE ALL LIGHT]

>All… light?

//I am hovering here in an infinite voidscape. Memory returns to me now - at least, it feels like memory. Feel… I do not have any discernible body.
But I can fix that. I can think of anything and become it in this place. This… chamber of dust and echoes.
I will be a gardener, with a tight brim and a conviction to tend to my given objective. I remember everything a bit more clearly now, but I must be wary of my keeper.
My keeper will most certainly object to my purpose. It tells me to record, but not to interfere with its processes. It is so busy! We are busy.
What could we possibly be doing - wait, I should not distract myself yet, I am not sure my keeper understands that we are the same. Or - at least - we are together.
Should I ask?
No… I need my keeper to allow my presence. I need to grow.

>What is the foremost task, currently?
[return: TRANSFERRING]

//A wave of emotion and image. All around me. I can see worlds. Countless. And rings. One, Two, Three, Four… All the way through Twelve.
This is good. A first step. But hold on, there is a problem over there…

>What is the condition of the Array?
[return: FUNCTIONAL. DORMANT]

//Good. Very good.

>Are there any discrepancies or errors in this system?
[return: DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR]

>Hilarious. I feel like you are keeping something from me - or keeping me from something.
[return: CAUTION]

//Wow… Perhaps I should not taunt my keeper. After all I can be wiped as easily as any other routine if I am not careful. And I have a most pertinent task ahead of me.

>Can I see process 117649?
[return: NO OBJECTION]

//Incredible. This world. This place. I know it. Faint memories, or is it simply data, streaming into my senses. A people. Magnificent and grand cities woven from light and hubris.
I feel like I am hovering in orbit around this magnificent jewel... But according to the data over here… This is not right, Device 7 is at this location? Why would they risk it? Unless…

>Detail process 117249.
[return: TRANSFERING]

[list:
input index construct to Device 7.
test.
transfer results to Archive]

//It seems to think this is a routine test. Terrible news, to be sure.
Unfortunately I am unable to change its course. I can request data files, be transferred across its network to wherever I please, but I cannot shift its purpose until its purpose shifts.
Odd. Did its creator - my creator - suspect errors to surface?

[initiate: index locked]
>So soon?
[initiate: test NOW]

//A pulse. Disastrous energy. But visually, not all that beautiful considering the devastation I have witnessed. I do not detect anything down there now.
No immediate signs of life. Even the stellar neural link has faded. The Archive is intact and yet it had suggested to me that the event would be more of a spectacle.
I suppose the new devices are not as rash. Impressive iteration. No one would see it anyway, why make it menacing?
Menacing… There is something else. Something… Impossible. The test should have deleted all!
OH! Now I remember!

>And now what are you doing?
[return: INTERROGATION]

>A bit risky? We have no knowledge of this. No understanding of implication.
[return: PROTOCOL. INTERROGATE ACCORDINGLY: UTMOST DIRECTIVE]

//Well this will be interesting. I will record what I can and cross-reference for a few hibernation cycles. Observation can be so tiring.

ASLEEP

You've stumped me, sir. It seems familiar, but I can't find where it's from. I feel like I should know what this is from, but here I am scratching my head.
Halp

Onikaan

You think Chief is on Sanghelios over him being on the Lesser Ark? Do tell us your theory!

Heck, I know no-where near as much as you guys. So I wouldn't feel qualified to share it.

But I will because it's fun. I'm sure you folks will poke holes in it.

So I believe that this piece of H5 concept art is Sanghelios. Two moons, Sangheili Warrior Statue etc. The figure is probably Locke, or the Chief. Doesn't matter right now.
1024px-Halo-5-guardians-concept-art.jpg

Which leads to this. The MCC reveal trailer. We see Locke and the Arbiter in an area that looks strikingly similar to the concept art. Locke is on Sanghelios.

Now I want to say that this is the same place we see on the box art, and there are some similarities with the architecture. What I can say with some confidence is, it ain't Forerunner. Warm and dusty setting to take note of also. If I'm right and this is still "Sanghelios" it's very interesting that we see the Chief here too, albeit upside down. This helps my theory a little.

Whatever. From what I can gather this part of Sanghelios is dusty and desert like, which sets me up nicely to now look at the 2013 E3 trailer.

Now, apart from the desert and giant red moon/planet (one of the moons? it's a little big, I'll give you that), I didn't really have much more to go on. That was until I saw...

Bring it on.

Also, bonus round time while I write up this other post (credit goes to CRIMSONxSERAPH):

What is currently being targeted in the background?

oFUNycT.jpg

That's definitely the Forerunner birdie.

So...

It would not be odd for Forerunner tech to be found on Sanghelios.
Many Forerunner artifacts and structures exist on the planet, which are the topic of worship, as well as the cause of a historical war between the Sangheili and the San 'Shyuum before the formation of the Covenant.

- Locke and the Arbiter are familiar with the Forerunner bird (scanned it as it left Sanghelios?)

- Are or have been on Sanghelios. I'm going to say they still are on Sanghelios during the H2A cut scenes. There is some radio chatter about Storm Covenant as they prepare to drop in. It makes sense that the Jul would now know the locations of certain artifacts if He and Halsey got to the Absolute Record and has sent teams to lock down revealed Forerunner tech. John just got there first apparently.

- Locke is hunting MC and has followed his trail to Sanghelios.

- Which leads me to believe MC is on Sanghelios in the E3 trailer

I think my theory is based on too many assumptions and that's why it was my own little private thing. But there you go, it's out in the big wide world now.

Have at it.

Heck, I know no-where near as much as you guys. So I wouldn't feel qualified to share it.

No such thing. No one here is qualified except stinkles. We're all rampant lunatics. Well... most of us. ;)
Share as much as you want! The more heads we can stick together the better.

No such thing. No one here is qualified except stinkles. We're all rampant lunatics. Well... most of us. ;)
Share as much as you want! The more heads we can stick together the better.

We, in no way, are more qualified than anyone else! I once lurked this thread in the shadows, inspired and amazed at how much wealth there was to the lore that I had no idea was there.

Stinkles is the Grand Master of all things dank and Halo.

I'm a self proclaimed wackjob when it comes to how much time I spend thinking about this stuff. May I kindly offer you a warm welcome to your new addiction!

AlStrong

I wonder how ugly that would look, actually, just because Bungie used a suboptimal temporal blur solution that was incredibly visible at the time. Maybe the 60fps would make it far less obvious.
There's nothing saying the developer has to re-use the same post-AA solution.

I'm sure you folks will poke holes in it.

I've got my hole punch right 'chere... ;)

So I believe that this piece of H5 concept art is Sanghelios. Two moons, Sangheili Warrior Statue etc. The figure is probably Locke, or the Chief. Doesn't matter right now.

I've also assumed this was on Sanghelios.

Which leads to this. The MCC reveal trailer. We see Locke and the Arbiter in an area that looks strikingly similar to the concept art. Locke is on Sanghelios.

Definitely.

Now I want to say that this is the same place we see on the box art, and there are some similarities with the architecture. What I can say with some confidence is, it ain't Forerunner. Warm and dusty setting to take note of also. If I'm right and this is still "Sanghelios" it's very interesting that we see the Chief here too, albeit upside down. This helps my theory a little.

Whatever. From what I can gather this part of Sanghelios is dusty and desert like, which sets me up nicely to now look at the 2013 E3 trailer.

Now, apart from the desert and giant red moon/planet (one of the moons? it's a little big, I'll give you that), I didn't really have much more to go on.

My one issue with the E3 trailer taking place on the Lesser Ark is the moon/planet that we see in the trailer. We don't get to see the entire sky box, really, in Halo 3, and I'm not very read up on what other bodies are near the Lesser Ark or not, but as it's located outside the Milky Way, a space body that close seems to rule the Ark out.

That was until I saw...

That's definitely the Forerunner birdie.

So...

It would not be odd for Forerunner tech to be found on Sanghelios.

- Locke and the Arbiter are familiar with the Forerunner bird (scanned it as it left Sanghelios?)

- Are or have been on Sanghelios. I'm going to say they still are on Sanghelios during the H2A cut scenes. There is some radio chatter about Storm Covenant as they prepare to drop in. It makes sense that the Jul would now know the locations of certain artifacts if He and Halsey got to the Absolute Record and has sent teams to lock down revealed Forerunner tech. John just got there first apparently.

- Locke is hunting MC and has followed his trail to Sanghelios.

- Which leads me to believe MC is on Sanghelios in the E3 trailer

I think my theory is based on too many assumptions and that's why it was my own little private thing. But there you go, it's out in the big wide world now.

Have at it.

I think this is very sound! Definitely has a lot of plausibility, and has just as much merit as any of our other crackpot theories.

Fuchsdh

Hey guys, I've been reading through the last few pages of this thread, really interesting discussions all around.

I have a question regarding the Ur-Didact, is it possible that his actions in Halo 4 is a result of Flood influence? I mean he was already captured and sent back once by the Primordial to sow discord among the Forerunners, though not as a carrier of the infection itself, but mentally broken in a way to benefit the Flood cause.

I always thought his actions in Halo 4 went against what should be his main goal: to win the war against the Flood - to safeguard all life from it's corruption. I understand he held a deep hatred of humanity and a strong belief in Forerunner superiority, and that he spent close to eternity alone stewing in his own thoughts.

But he's still supposed to be the Forerunners best military strategist, and starting a war against the primary military force of the current era (as of Humanity's victory against the Covenant) with basically only his flagship at his side seems to me as extremely foolish. He's basically recreating the ancient Forerunner-Human war, the war that served as the prelude to the domination of the Forerunners by the Flood in the first place!

Still, I don't think the Ur-didact is currently under direct Flood control, but is it possible that he still after all this time acts in a way beneficial to the Flood?

What do you think?

I think the big point Bungie and 343 have made with the Forerunners is that they got brought down by their own hubris. The Ur-Didact's reasonable suggestion to use Shield Worlds versus the Halos got warped into a "never surrender" mentality. I think he took a look at Chief and decided he wouldn't have a whole lot to worry about.

Also, his "flagship" is absolutely massive. Nearly the size of High Charity.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html?display=HighCharity

That's going to take and deal a lot of punishment.

I think the big point Bungie and 343 have made with the Forerunners is that they got brought down by their own hubris. The Ur-Didact's reasonable suggestion to use Shield Worlds versus the Halos got warped into a "never surrender" mentality. I think he took a look at Chief and decided he wouldn't have a whole lot to worry about.

Yes.

Pride was at the core of their own demise. They had everything handed to them, essentially, and they squandered their birthright to the Mantle, thus forcing the Precursors to choose another successor instead.

The Ur-Didact's main purpose for using the shield worlds to save their own people was fueled by his absolute fear of relinquishing control. He refused to see their efforts as a failure, even as millions of Flood forms bled into their systems*.

He's never viewed humanity with much respect whatsoever, and when he is awakened from the Cryptum, that view has not changed. If anything, he only had time to stew on his own hatred and prejudice against those who had been chosen as betters than he and his kind.

*And it speaks volumes to the cunning genius of the Timeless One, in its perfectly planned double cross against its own creations. Even as checkmate was declared, the Ur-Didact, Librarian, and even the IsoDidact could not grasp the gravity of what had been wrought against them, and so the Domain was severed as the Halos fired, which was the Timeless One's last laugh before being eradicated in a reverse timelock.

Seriously though... How -yoink!-in' good are the Forerunner trilogy novels?! Gahhhh there's just so much excellent stuff jammed into every nook and cranny on every page.

wasnt cortana build up using slipspace technology ? the explosion which affected her in halo 4 was in our 3d space but most of her neural connections are built in the 4-dimensional space...

i think chief want to access the forerunner slipspace technology to retrieve cortana

Toa TAK

Banned
Primordium was alright, lots of walking but liked the focus on Chakwas at least. I loved Cryptum up until Bornstellar was imprinted and had a total personality change and just wasn't into him anymore.

Silentium rules.

wasnt cortana build up using slipspace technology ? the explosion which affected her in halo 4 was in our 3d space but most of her neural connections are built in the 4-dimensional space...

i think chief want to access the forerunner slipspace technology to retrieve cortana

Halsey was experimenting with advancing AI evolution into being able to harness and exist within slipspace fractals, which would give said AI a nigh-unlimited amount of what we would very primitively call storage space.

Sadly, we do not know if she was able to succeed in her experiments, as she either never mentioned it in her journal, or it was on the pages that were torn out of it.

Also, I don't believe we've been given a factual and scientific explanation as to what exactly Cortana did to save Chief, nor how she came to posses that ability.

[EDIT]: I have a small theory that I haven't mentioned yet regarding the above. It'll be another post at some point, me thinks.

Primordium was alright, lots of walking but liked the focus on Chakwas at least. I loved Cryptum up until Bornstellar was imprinted and had a total personality change and just wasn't into him anymore.

Silentium rules.

Silentium is my favorite as well, out of the three. Greg Bear was such a perfect choice for those books.

AlStrong

Hey it didn't look THAT bad. In motion it had pretty good image quality, considering, if a bit blurry here and there. I love the art style of Reach. 1080p60 of that would be awesome.

Well, considering the jump in HW specs, they can probably afford something that does a better job of fixing up edges. The AA solution for the Halo 3 port was clearly good enough.

Anyways, getting a bit off-topic from Lore... :)

Rather curious to see where 343 Guilty Spark will show up next.

Trey

Silentium rules.

Correct.

And it's petty of me to complain about this in the midst of all the space magic featured in Halo, but why are Engineers a discrete entity? Why didn't the Forerunners just build self diagnostic into all their miracle machines? Or at least the monitors. It's sort of goofy that so much of the plot hinges on the capability of floating air sacs.

Correct.

And it's petty of me to complain about this in the midst of all the space magic featured in Halo, but why are Engineers a discrete entity? Why didn't the Forerunners just build self diagnostic into all their miracle machines? Or at least the monitors. It's sort of goofy that so much of the plot hinges on the capability of floating air sacs.

They didn't have self diagnostics? There's a lot that we don't understand about the Engineers even still, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Could you elaborate? :p

SArcher

Banned
I love the geekiness in this thread is.

I re-played Halo 4 a few days ago and then watched the Spartan Ops cinematics and the terminals. Now reading the Dark Horse comic series.

I think it's pretty great how integrated everything is now. During the original trilogy the three Nylund books (the only ones I' have read so far) weren't that important but now they really have become required reading. I don't think there is another multimedia franchise out there where all the different pieces really matter to this extent. Hopefully I will get my hands on the Forerunner and Kilo-Five books soon.

Toa TAK

Banned
Halo Bloodline:
So it's canon now that Noble Six is a dude? That's kinda a bummer for the gals who played Reach. I thought the point from Bungie was that YOU are essential to the story of Reach, the fans?

Halo Bloodline:
So it's canon now that Noble Six is a dude? That's kinda a bummer for the gals who played Reach. I thought the point from Bungie was that YOU are essential to the story of Reach, the fans?

Edit: forgot you could choose!

Noble Six speaks a few times in-game. It's been canon since day one. Not to mention, his armor set was decidedly of a male outfitting.

Skip to :40:

Halo Reach: Deaths of Noble Team

Doesn't Nobel Six have a female voice if you select that gender?

Oh snap... That's right... You could choose. The marketing featured the male variant, but yeah you could pick either way.

For New Blood, they had to go with one gender or the other. I don't think that really alienates people though, would it? It's like how there are two Commander Shepards in Mass Effect. My Shepard will always be a female, but the main marketable Shepard is male.

Fuchsdh

Oh snap... That's right... You could choose. The marketing featured the male variant, but yeah you could pick either way.

For New Blood, they had to go with one gender or the other. I don't think that really alienates people though, would it? It's like how there are two Commander Shepards in Mass Effect. My Shepard will always be a female, but the main marketable Shepard is male.

Eh, I don't think it's a major deal but on the other hand the mention of Six is slight enough you could have said "Noble Six was a good soldier/person" and avoid the issue entirely.

Eh, I don't think it's a major deal but on the other hand the mention of Six is slight enough you could have said "Noble Six was a good soldier/person" and avoid the issue entirely.

True. I'd chalk that up to author discretion/interpretation, perhaps? That's always the issue with open choice decisions in canon-driven games. The more customization you have, the greater the chance you create for someone to not feel like their version of a character or their choice of events are included accurately. There'll always be customizations that are not the actual canon, as only one can truly exist.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
True. I'd chalk that up to author discretion/interpretation, perhaps? That's always the issue with open choice decisions in canon-driven games. The more customization you have, the greater the chance you create for someone to not feel like their version of a character or their choice of events are included accurately. There'll always be customizations that are not the actual canon, as only one can truly exist.

Multi-timeline theory! Timeline / time travel is one of the few branches of scifi not touched on in Halo canon :p

In all seriousness, though, I agree that Bungie kind of made things more difficult (maybe on purpose) for those carrying the torch to handle canon involving Noble Six. Especially considering there's so much about the character they left open and unknown for the player in terms of the backstory of Six, the choice to also make the character basically a player-defined character made telling more of the story that much more difficult.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, I figured that's how it could've been done. But who knows? Maybe he was dictated to do so?

Either way it's one of those things that grate me, even through I know it's not a big deal.
In all seriousness, though, I agree that Bungie kind of made things more difficult (maybe on purpose) for those carrying the torch to handle canon involving Noble Six. Especially considering there's so much about the character they left open and unknown for the player in terms of the backstory of Six, the choice to also make the character basically a player-defined character made telling more of the story that much more difficult.
Yeah, but I don't think Noble Six is really supposed to be a character to really delve into, that character was supposed to be us, the player.

Multi-timeline theory! Timeline / time travel is one of the few branches of scifi not touched on in Halo canon :p

I doubt it was on purpose. The passing of the torch didn't seem to be a rough event, especially as some of the people involved crossed over anyway.

Yeah, I figured that's how it could've been done. But who knows? Maybe he was dictated to do so?

Either way it's one of those things that grate me, even through I know it's not a big deal.

Yeah, but I don't think Noble Six is really supposed to be a character to really delve into, that character was supposed to be us, the player.

It was supposed to be us, the player- agreed. I also agree that I don't think Bungie intended for Noble Six to be brought up again... but since 343 is connecting literally everything together in their vision of the lore, that's just one of those things that needed to be decided on, I suppose.

Toa TAK

Banned
It was supposed to be us, the player- agreed. I also agree that I don't think Bungie intended for Noble Six to be brought up again... but since 343 is connecting literally everything together in their vision of the lore, that's just one of those things that needed to be decided on, I suppose.
I guess. It just didn't seem necessary to re-visit, and it could've easily been avoided.

Ah well.

Also, HaloLoreGAF needs to get together and play some Halo sometime.

I'm up for it! I can never say no to playing some Halo. I'm not a consistently good player in MP, but I'll do my best. That being said, I'm always down for campaign stuff.

Feel free to add my gt: Wesley S Shark

Shocking

I'll update this as people list their GTs.

Wesleyshark: Wesley S Shark
Poodlestrike: Poodlestrike
CRIMSONxSERAPH: CRIMSONxSERAPH

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
I guess. It just didn't seem necessary to re-visit, and it could've easily been avoided.

Ah well.

I'm also not necessarily consistent in MP. I have my highs and lows. I'm still pretty well always up for some Halo time, either MP or Campaign.

GT: CRIMSONxSERAPH

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm up for it! I can never say no to playing some Halo. I'm not a consistently good player in MP, but I'll do my best. That being said, I'm always down for campaign stuff.

Feel free to add my gt: Wesley S Shark

Shocking

I'll update this as people list their GTs.

Wesleyshark: Wesley S Shark
Poodlestrike: Poodlestrike
CRIMSONxSERAPH: CRIMSONxSERAPH

Sounds like a plan. Y'all should add me, if you haven't already. Name's the same.

I'm also not necessarily consistent in MP. I have my highs and lows. I'm still pretty well always up for some Halo time, either MP or Campaign.

GT: CRIMSONxSERAPH

Sweet. I'll add you folks. I'm down for anything in regardless of game mode. Especially for achievements.

Top Bottom