• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

New page. Carrying the list over.

Wesleyshark: Wesley S Shark
Poodlestrike: Poodlestrike
CRIMSONxSERAPH: CRIMSONxSERAPH
Toa TAK: Toa TAK
AYF 001: AYF 001
Fuchsdh: Fuchsdh
THEF3AR: F3AR THE LEGEND
GringoSuave89: GringoSuave89
Calm Killer: Calm Killer
MAX PAYMENT: MAX PAYMENT
IlSignorCornetto: SignorCornetto

Glass

Here's a pop quiz, hotshots!

What does 'The Reclaimer Saga' refer to? Am I right in thinking that's the unofficial name for this second trilogy? (If its to be considered a trilogy and not stand alone stories in their own right).

I know in 4 we see the symbol for Reclaimer whilst MC and Cortana are trying to track Infinities signal, but does it refer to MC specifically, or mankind or someone else? And what are they trying to reclaim?

What does 'The Reclaimer Saga' refer to? Am I right in thinking that's the unofficial name for this second trilogy? (If its to be considered a trilogy and not stand alone stories in their own right).

I know in 4 we see the symbol for Reclaimer whilst MC and Cortana are trying to track Infinities signal, but does it refer to MC specifically, or mankind or someone else? And what are they trying to reclaim?

Yeah, that's what they're calling it. "Reclaimer" refers to those claiming the Forerunner's legacy, most specifically the Mantle.

Yeah, that's what they're calling it. "Reclaimer" refers to those claiming the Forerunner's legacy, most specifically the Mantle.

And it's not a trilogy anymore. Originally, it was to be Halo 4 5 and 6 as the Reclaimer Trilogy, but they've changed it to the Reclaimer Saga, and Bonnie Ross stated that they want to move away from numbered titles. That's why Halo 5 has a number and a subtitle- it's a sort of transitional title. Not sure if they'll actually rid themselves of numbers, but they are definitely not limiting themselves to just two more games. They have a ten year plan for this.

VRMN

I'm looking to get a bit deeper into the lore surrounding Halo, but there's so much of it and I know I've heard mixed things about certain installments. Like, I've heard the Nylund books are really good and that the current post-Halo 4 books are good, but I've heard conflicting things about the rest of the non-game canon.

I was wondering which books and other media I should concern myself with and which I should maybe just read a plot synopsis of. I want to try and complete a replay of the MCC games and read whatever books are recommended before Halo 5 launches in October and was hoping someone here could give me some direction.

I'm looking to get a bit deeper into the lore surrounding Halo, but there's so much of it and I know I've heard mixed things about certain installments. Like, I've heard the Nylund books are really good and that the current post-Halo 4 books are good, but I've heard conflicting things about the rest of the non-game canon.

I was wondering which books and other media I should concern myself with and which I should maybe just read a plot synopsis of. I want to try and complete a replay of the MCC games and read whatever books are recommended before Halo 5 launches in October and was hoping someone here could give me some direction.

Early Forerunner History:
Cryptum
Primordium
Silentium
Silentium Rebirth

Pre-Halo:
Contact Harvest
Cole Protocol
Fall of Reach

Halo CE
The Flood (basically a Halo CE novelization)
First Strike

Halo 2
Human Weakness
Broken Circle​

Halo 3 ODST
Halo 3
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
New Blood
Hunters in the Dark*​

Halo 4
Halo 4 Spartan Ops
Halo Escalation
Saint's Testimony**
Last Light**
Shadow of Intent**​

Halo 5

* unreleased
** unreleased and timeline placement unknown

VRMN

So, there are no novels between Halo 4 and Halo 5, or is that all dealt with in Halo 4 Spartan Ops, that Nightfall miniseries, and the ongoing comic?

Trey

One man's opinion follows.

The good: the Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghost of Onyx, Contact Harvest, most stories in Evolutions, Cryptum, Silentium. I haven't finished Broken Circle yet but so far I'm engaged.

I dislike the Kilo Five Trilogy, but it does have a fair bit of establishing plot for Halo 4. You can safely skip the Flood and the Cole Protocol.

VRMN

Thanks for the help; I think I'll go ahead with chronological order just to try and assist with the whole "keep things straight" deal. Are there any of the books that you'd consider it wise to just read a plot summary for quality reasons even if the events are relevant, or is it not worth the hassle to try and parse that way?

EDIT: Read Trey's opinion. I'll go forward with the Forerunner trilogy right now and worry about the rest if reviews make me go "ugh." If The Flood is just a novelization of CE, then I probably will skip it. Cole Protocol I'll figure out if I want to skip it when I get there, I suppose.

The good: the Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghost of Onyx, Contact Harvest, most stories in Evolutions, Cryptum, Silentium. I haven't finished Broken Circle yet but so far I'm engaged.

I dislike the Kilo Five Trilogy, but it does have a fair bit of establishing plot for Halo 4. You can safely skip the Flood and the Cole Protocol.

There's a very vital AI character in the Kilo Five trilogy (Grasslands, Thursday War, Mortal Dictata) that is worth the price of admission, alone.

Thanks for the help; I think I'll go ahead with chronological order just to try and assist with the whole "keep things straight" deal. Are there any of the books that you'd consider it wise to just read a plot summary for quality reasons even if the events are relevant, or is it not worth the hassle to try and parse that way?

The Flood. Most of it is just a novelization of Halo CE, but there's a number of things in there that are really interesting that didn't happen in the game or expand some of what we did see in game.

I think they are ALL worth reading but...

Summary (unless you have the time):

Cole Protocol
The Flood

First Strike is either or. It's good but not necessary.

Halo Evolutions has short stories that are all over the timeline, but Human Weakness is very vital. Read that one at least.

I'm up for it! I can never say no to playing some Halo. I'm not a consistently good player in MP, but I'll do my best. That being said, I'm always down for campaign stuff.

Feel free to add my gt: Wesley S Shark

Shocking

I'll update this as people list their GTs.

i've started Halo 4 on Xbox One today, someone that want to add me? My GT is SignorCornetto. Good job for the lore reconstruction, you are awesome guys!

i've started Halo 4 on Xbox One today, someone that want to add me? My GT is SignorCornetto. Good job for the lore reconstruction, you are awesome guys!

Added ya to the list!

GAF : GT
DesertFox: Desert Fox 23

The Flood has that great subplot with the Elite that keeps failing to kill the Chief, though.

The Flood has that great subplot with the Elite that keeps failing to kill the Chief, though.

Yes, definitely! But... I'm just trying to help him narrow things down to the most important reads. They are all great books, but some can be glossed over or summarized for lack of time.

So what's up with this series now that it's no longer in trilogy form? Will Halo 5 be related to 4? Will the Didact be back? Will we even fight on Halo rings any more?

-----

Yeah skip "The Flood" as it's just Halo 1.

So what's up with this series now that it's no longer in trilogy form? Will Halo 5 be related to 4? Will the Didact be back? Will we even fight on Halo rings any more?

Halo 5 is a direct sequel to Halo 4, Spartan Ops and what's to come in Escalation.

We're not sure if the Ur-Didact will be back or not, given when he was seen last in Escalation.

Safe to say there'll be more adventures on Halo rings, as there's still the rest to be discovered. The Janus Key will possibly help in that regard.

VRMN

Yes, definitely! But... I'm just trying to help him narrow things down to the most important reads. They are all great books, but some can be glossed over or summarized for lack of time.

It'll probably come down to how fast I get through the books. I'm a decently fast reader, so I might be able to make it through everything in time, but we'll see. I appreciate the guidance.

DesertFox

Added ya to the list!

GAF : GT
Oh what's this? Will be adding each of you. I'm a completionist so I'm always down for achievements - prefer to go into MP as a party as well.

GT: Desert Fox 23

Trey

There's a very vital AI character in the Kilo Five trilogy (Grasslands, Thursday War, Mortal Dictata) that is worth the price of admission, alone.

I don't think there's a single salvaging plot point or character from that particular trilogy, but that's just me. I think the Kilo Five Trilogy is the ultimate "just read a synopsis" candidate.

We get plenty of driven, prideful Elite plotlines throughout the Halo books, and the one featured in The Flood is probably the least consequential of them all. A "notice me, senpai" subplot is not enough, in my opinion, to justify a read of The Flood.

I don't think there's a single salvaging plot point or character from that particular trilogy, but that's just me. I think the Kilo Five Trilogy is the ultimate "just read a synopsis" candidate.

Agree to disagree, there. I love that trilogy quite a lot,
and BB is going to be a returning character in the near future.

LordOfChaos

Agree to disagree, there. I love that trilogy quite a lot,
and BB is going to be a returning character in the near future.

Mother of god, is the bolded confirmed? That's quite exciting, he was my favourite bit of that trilogy. In what media will he be back? Who said it? Is he even
still alive for the Halo 5 timeline?

I'll repeat myself in agreement with you even though I've already done so before in this thread, but I really really enjoyed Kilo-5. At the start it was like hitting a major speed bump after the nonstop rush of Ghosts of Onyx, but it was good in its own way.

Mother of god, is the bolded confirmed? That's quite exciting, he was my favourite bit of that trilogy. In what media will he be back? Who said it? Is he even
still alive for the Halo 5 timeline?

I'll repeat myself in agreement with you even though I've already done so before in this thread, but I really really enjoyed Kilo-5. At the start it was like hitting a major speed bump after the nonstop rush of Ghosts of Onyx, but it was good in its own way.

- confirmed by Stinkles himself! Medium and scope was not specified, but it was unmistakably noted that we should expect to see him again.

- Glasslands slowed the pace as it opened, but man did it spiral into glorious spy vs spy type chaos once it found its feet. Thursday War was solid. Mortal Dictata was absolutely fantastic, as it broke down so many tropes and muddied the waters a bit, mirroring a lot of themes and pitfalls that were also touched on in Primordium and Silentium. Even though both trilogies are their own thing, they all flow together really well, overall, and as they both pour into the events of Halo 4.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member

EDIT: Read Trey's opinion. I'll go forward with the Forerunner trilogy right now and worry about the rest if reviews make me go "ugh." If The Flood is just a novelization of CE, then I probably will skip it. Cole Protocol I'll figure out if I want to skip it when I get there, I suppose.

Having read all of the books (save lacking finishing the last two most recent ones), I personally would recommend reading the Fall of Reach, and then playing through Combat Evolved. This is a great entry into the universe (similar to how many of us began our journey), and you won't miss specific shock-value moments that potentially could be in things like the Forerunner trilogy. Not to mention, these two will quickly build a love and respect for the universe long before you potentially feel it necessary to drudge through the tougher/less exciting readings. Just my two cents, though :D

Okay before I go further, do you all genuinely believe that Greg Bear planted a lot of seeds in the Forerunner trilogy foreshadowing future story lines?

AYF 001

Okay before I go further, do you all genuinely believe that Greg Bear planted a lot of seeds in the Forerunner trilogy foreshadowing future story lines?

I'd say so. They already had one element from that trilogy in Halo 4 (not saying what in case of spoilers), but I'd bet there will be a few more things that will be making appearances.

Top Bottom