• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

UKUMI0

So with the Halo 5 deets, what do we think is going on with the Domain?

In the Forerunner trilogy of books, the Forerunners destroying their own precious Domain (which was actually the Precursors Organon) was the ultimate FU the Floodcursors gave the Forerunners, as they did it with the Forerunners own Halo array. It was a big plot point.
Now in the Halo 5 footage from E3, we know the Domain has been opened, and not only that but Forerunner, not Precursor, structures are guarding it.

What could be going on? My first thought was that the Domain tricked the Forerunners into thinking it was dead to screw with them, or blocked them out after they made the biggest blow to the Mantle in the Halo arrays. But then, how are Forerunner structures in the Guardians guarding the Domain? What could be going on?

My understanding was that the domain denied access to the Forerunners just before the Halo's activation. Based on my interpretation of the info we've been given, the domain (which is Precursor in design) is opening itself up to the most advanced human (the Master Chief) so that we can reclaim the Mantle.

LordOfChaos

My understanding was that the domain denied access to the Forerunners just before the Halo's activation. Based on my interpretation of the info we've been given, the domain (which is Precursor in design) is opening itself up to the most advanced human (the Master Chief) so that we can reclaim the Mantle.

I thought that the Domain, being based on neural physics like all precursor tech, was also wiped out though, not just blocking access to Forerunners. They made it appear that way in the Forerunner trilogy at least, unless I interpreted it wrong, the Domain cried out one last time, it was acting weird for days before because the Halo firing also went back in time some ways, etc.

I thought that the Domain, being based on neural physics like all precursor tech, was also wiped out though, not just blocking access to Forerunners. They made it appear that way in the Forerunner trilogy at least, unless I interpreted it wrong, the Domain cried out one last time, it was acting weird for days before because the Halo firing also went back in time some ways, etc.

At one point it was hinted that the Forerunners of Path Kethona (extra galactic) were somehow able to create a small biological equivalent of the Domain. I'm wondering - even if that particular society were completely wiped out - that the Domain's structure being destroyed by the activation of the Halo Array didn't completely wipe out the information within it (billions of years worth), and rather just set it back in some respect. It was a Precursor construct after all, and they have a way with coming back round again. Maybe it's "ready" now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bungie Era, both were canon, and Halsey's journal helped fill in the details that caused canon problems. But with this new animated series, who knows.

Animated series is pretty literal adaptation of the book, with a few necessary changes for the medium (we make a big covenant ship a bigger class for dramatic effect) and for a couple of small logic fines (some numbers that don't stand up to proper scrutiny) but we basically don't deal with dates a lot so it won't grate every time you see a caption.

And it's slightly condensed scenewise. Including the PoA stuff.

We'll probably say a bit more at comic con.

Well... the domain isn't really well understood. It's assumed to be a purely Precursor creation, but it's also borderline space magic, so maybe there's more too it?

Theory: The Domain did not exist as a discrete entity. Rather, it was enormously distributed. Partial backups and fragments of the technology behind it exist(ed) in all Forerunner creations. As humanity goes around turning stuff on and pressing buttons, more and more pieces of the Forerunner-based Domain become active, and those fragments connect to others, and they begin to reconstruct what is missing. What's happened in Guardians is that this process has reached a critical mass and shit starts getting real.

Animated series is pretty literal adaptation of the book, with a few necessary changes for the medium (we make a big covenant ship a bigger class for dramatic effect) and for a couple of small logic fines (some numbers that don't stand up to proper scrutiny) but we basically don't deal with dates a lot so it won't grate every time you see a caption.

Hah, yes!

sweet, thanks Frankie!

And it looks like you were right Poodle :p

I'm stoked for that. Gonna be sweeeet. Who doesn't like Fall of Reach? Even the comic adaptation was awesome. Curious to see the art-style.

Dynasty8

Awesome...can't wait.

LordOfChaos

As humanity goes around turning stuff on and pressing buttons, more and more pieces of the Forerunner-based Domain become active, and those fragments connect to others, and they begin to reconstruct what is missing. What's happened in Guardians is that this process has reached a critical mass and shit starts getting real.

They're poking Forerunner stuff though, not Precursor, and Forerunners themselves didn't understand the Domain fully nor it's origin.

They're poking Forerunner stuff though, not Precursor, and Forerunners themselves didn't understand the Domain fully nor it's origin.

Right. They didn't understand it, or, really, the rest of the Precursor technology. This would be stuff they did unknowingly, not fully comprehending the systems they were tying into.

Deadly

I noticed this as well! I played back that part a number of times to make sure I was hearing everything correctly.

First:
Halsey is in a room with Laskey & Palmer [and Roland]! So clearly whatever happens at the Absolute Record proves Halsey is a 'good' guy again. She wasn't appearing overly restrained or anything either.
Where will they show this though? The E3 trailer (right after this scene) was said to be one of the first missions. We've also got the first or second mission where we control the Chief.

UKUMI0

Where will they show this though? The E3 trailer (right after this scene) was said to be one of the first missions. We've also got the first or second mission where we control the Chief.
No way what we saw at E3 was on of the first missions, closer to halfway me thinks.

Great. :) Thank you very much...:)

Captain Friendo

Neo Member

Not to act too spoilt but can you confirm if the classic Halo Wars/FoR Comic Mark IV will be making an appearance?

In the Game Informer article they said they were playing a mission before Chief goes AWOL, so one of the first two missions. That'd likely be before the E3 mission. I'm guessing the conversation referenced would be between the two missions we've 'seen/heard about'.

I'm guessing we play as Chief, get a recap on Blue Team, squad mechanics, etc. Something big happens, and then we get more exposition with supporting characters, leading to an introduction of Fireteam Osiris.

They did mention
the game is about the hunt for Chief in the beginning, but then becomes something much more.

So I got and finished "Hunters in the Dark" over the weekend. It was.. good. Not great, but good. It read very, //VERY// easily. But I think I was missing some of the hard Sci-Fi from the Greg Bear books, or even the attitude of the Karen Travis books. Hunters is like.. the plain turkey sandwich of Halo books. It's not bad, it's sometimes good, and useful, but nothing you're going to remember much about down the road.

Spoilers for Hunters incoming..

Armigers! Nice that we get a small introduction to them (In 2555!), as they seem to be playing a big part in Halo 5. What were they guarding? Why didn't we see them in Halo 3? (Or 4?) Hopefully they get explained a bit more in-game.

Getting to meet (soon to be) Spartan Vale. I like Olympia Vale after the book, seems like she could be a decent character. Doesn't seem like evil-ONI at all, which is nice.

Tragic Solitude 000? Who the heck is/was this? So many questions.. with very few answers. Took that name on itself, so it was called something else previously. I cannot fathom it being Mendicant Bias though.. since (a) it was an evil asshole and (b) it had a room with its data cores accessible.. and I'd think MB would be locked up tighter than that.

What happened with the Portal? Why has no one mentioned any of the Portal/Ark nonsense in the (chronologically) years since? Obviously it's because this book was just written, but it seems to me it'd be a pretty big event. Giant Forerunner robots came through and attacked Earth for Pete (Stacker's) Sake! I mean I guess you can kind of chalk it up to ONI cover-ups as usual.. but.. PORTAL!

Also, did the Portal close afterwards? Or is it still opened? They set up a research station on the Ark so I don't know. I'd guess if it was still opened that would have been one of the first places the Didact would have went in Halo 4.. but he never mentioned it.

The Elite-Human interactions were nice, nothing ground breaking, but it was nice to see the Elite characters again and get a little more insight into their being. They sound like bad asses! Imagine we'll be seeing them again in Halo 5.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. Good intro to Olympia Vale (and maybe Spartan Kodiak?), interesting to see the Armigers, though I wish we would have gotten more companion information about 343GS.

Fuchsdh

In the Game Informer article they said they were playing a mission before Chief goes AWOL, so one of the first two missions. That'd likely be before the E3 mission. I'm guessing the conversation referenced would be between the two missions we've 'seen/heard about'.

I'm guessing we play as Chief, get a recap on Blue Team, squad mechanics, etc. Something big happens, and then we get more exposition with supporting characters, leading to an introduction of Fireteam Osiris.

They did mention
the game is about the hunt for Chief in the beginning, but then becomes something much more.

So I got and finished "Hunters in the Dark" over the weekend. It was.. good. Not great, but good. It read very, //VERY// easily. But I think I was missing some of the hard Sci-Fi from the Greg Bear books, or even the attitude of the Karen Travis books. Hunters is like.. the plain turkey sandwich of Halo books. It's not bad, it's sometimes good, and useful, but nothing you're going to remember much about down the road.

Spoilers for Hunters incoming..

Armigers! Nice that we get a small introduction to them (In 2555!), as they seem to be playing a big part in Halo 5. What were they guarding? Why didn't we see them in Halo 3? (Or 4?) Hopefully they get explained a bit more in-game.

Getting to meet (soon to be) Spartan Vale. I like Olympia Vale after the book, seems like she could be a decent character. Doesn't seem like evil-ONI at all, which is nice.

Tragic Solitude 000? Who the heck is/was this? So many questions.. with very few answers. Took that name on itself, so it was called something else previously. I cannot fathom it being Mendicant Bias though.. since (a) it was an evil asshole and (b) it had a room with its data cores accessible.. and I'd think MB would be locked up tighter than that.

What happened with the Portal? Why has no one mentioned any of the Portal/Ark nonsense in the (chronologically) years since? Obviously it's because this book was just written, but it seems to me it'd be a pretty big event. Giant Forerunner robots came through and attacked Earth for Pete (Stacker's) Sake! I mean I guess you can kind of chalk it up to ONI cover-ups as usual.. but.. PORTAL!

Also, did the Portal close afterwards? Or is it still opened? They set up a research station on the Ark so I don't know. I'd guess if it was still opened that would have been one of the first places the Didact would have went in Halo 4.. but he never mentioned it.

The Elite-Human interactions were nice, nothing ground breaking, but it was nice to see the Elite characters again and get a little more insight into their being. They sound like bad asses! Imagine we'll be seeing them again in Halo 5.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. Good intro to Olympia Vale (and maybe Spartan Kodiak?), interesting to see the Armigers, though I wish we would have gotten more companion information about 343GS.

"Bland" might be the right word for it, I'm usually a big Peter David fan but parts of the novel just felt rote.

As for no one noticing the dustup around Africa, it was pretty immediately halted and I imagine even years after Mombasa, Voi, and the surrounding area are ghost towns, glassed, or both. No witnesses... if they'd been busy enough to carve up London then we mighta' heard something :)

I do wonder why 000 was so hellbent on
using up Earth and the solar system for materials when he still had some of that moon in the center of the Ark. I guess he was mostly just out for revenge, or I guess even the Forerunners can't get everything they need out of the raw mass left in the celestial body and would need to plunder other worlds.

As to the Didact... it just occurred to me, but maybe he doesn't even know about the Portal? I have to go back and reread Silentium and see what the exact sequence of events was. Also, he seemed preoccupied with wiping the humans out. Doesn't seem like looking for other Forerunners even occurred to him/were a big part of his plans at the present.

"Bland" might be the right word for it, I'm usually a big Peter David fan but parts of the novel just felt rote.

As for no one noticing the dustup around Africa, it was pretty immediately halted and I imagine even years after Mombasa, Voi, and the surrounding area are ghost towns, glassed, or both. No witnesses... if they'd been busy enough to carve up London then we mighta' heard something :)

I do wonder why 000 was so hellbent on
using up Earth and the solar system for materials when he still had some of that moon in the center of the Ark. I guess he was mostly just out for revenge, or I guess even the Forerunners can't get everything they need out of the raw mass left in the celestial body and would need to plunder other worlds.

As to the Didact... it just occurred to me, but maybe he doesn't even know about the Portal? I have to go back and reread Silentium and see what the exact sequence of events was. Also, he seemed preoccupied with wiping the humans out. Doesn't seem like looking for other Forerunners even occurred to him/were a big part of his plans at the present.

Yeah, it started off well enough I felt, but then I kept reading pages and pages but it didn't feel like it was 'going anywhere'. I spoiled myself ahead of time with some of the story details, so maybe that was part of it. I kept saying
"When is 000 going to show up?!"

The revenge/anger angle (that's a weird thing to say.. 'anger angle'...) was interesting, but didn't seem fully fleshed out nearly enough. Where's the backstory on WHO 000 was BEFORE the firing? Was he composed and made into a monitor like 343 GS? I don't remember the book notating his color changing or anything to imply any kind of rampancy either, which I would have appreciated.

I like the overall story, and I like what it added, just wish we got more lore exposition I guess and less
random monsters chasing the teams.

As for the Didact, I suppose you're correct. The Iso-Didact would have known, but Ur-Didact may have been in the dark I suppose. Though I'd guess the Mantle's Approach should have scanned the planet.. but who knows. It would be cool to get a novelization of Halo 4, or a novella from the Ur-Didacts perspective to give some more insight into his thinking and plans during the events of Halo 4 (other than.. I AM EVIL!). The Greg Bear books colored it somewhat for me, but I still feel there is room to expand on it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I thought of those two bit Lasky says he has gone off in search of her, since they are always with Chief it wouldn't be much of a search.

This is pretty much answered in the very first Halo 5 trailer we saw. Chief is standing on a sand world holding her datachip and the guardian appears....

16BitNova

So going back and playing Halo 3 I don't know why I never asked myself this before. The Ark is supposed to be a safe place The Forerunners built from which to fire the Halos. A place out of range from the Halos devastating blast. So why didn't the Forerunners just go here as a safe haven when firing the Halos and survive instead of being wiped out?

Fuchsdh

So going back and playing Halo 3 I don't know why I never asked myself this before. The Ark is supposed to be a safe place The Forerunners built from which to fire the Halos. A place out of range from the Halos devastating blast. So why didn't the Forerunners just go here as a safe haven when firing the Halos and survive instead of being wiped out?

A few did, but those Forerunners basically peaced out of our galaxy afterwards as far as we know.

It’s possible some Forerunners aside from those under the Iso-Didact’s command made it to Forerunner shield worlds and survived the catalclysm, but for the most part they all died.

Also, GameInformer video on the campaign: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...g-the-story-of-halo-5-guardians-campaign.aspx

Looks very likely Cortana isn't going to be in this one at all, which makes me happy.

This is pretty much answered in the very first Halo 5 trailer we saw. Chief is standing on a sand world holding her datachip and the guardian appears....

I *think* I read somewhere that that trailer was more of a 'set the mood' piece and not necessarily indicative of Halo 5 as a whole. All we know at this point is that supposedly the 4-player drop-in/drop-out co-op is through the entire campaign. Would it make sense to have 3 other people with you when you're supposed to be alone? They managed it in the other games, so I don't think it's impossible, but with how much work they're putting into making the squad thing front and center.. I don't know that we'll see a lone wolf style mission.

My guess is maybe it's a dream sequence, or hallucination.. or.. whatever.

On the face of it.. seems like that'd be the perfect answer. Peace out the galaxy, nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Timing wise though, I don't think the Ark (lesser Ark, the Greater Ark WAS assaulted by the Flood and destroyed) was really completed until things had gone from bad to worse in the galaxy. I also think the mantle was something that the Forerunners truly respected/cherished, and knowing they were going to wipe out all life in the galaxy (even knowing they were going to reseed SOME) was probably too much for them to bear.

We don't know the fate of those who did remain behind to activate the process (Iso-Didact, Chant to Green, etc), but I imagine wherever they went, it's been weighing heavily on them.

Looks very likely Cortana isn't going to be in this one at all, which makes me happy.
But the "ghost of cortana" is, according to the GameInformer article and you can clearly hear her voice saying Chief and seeing her silhouette in the beginnen of the E³ campaign demo

Fuchsdh

But the "ghost of cortana" is, according to the GameInformer article and you can clearly hear her voice saying Chief and seeing her silhouette in the beginnen of the E³ campaign demo

Yeah, but that doesn't really bother me (Force ghosts!) I'd just be disappointed if we went through Halo 4 and then Halo 5 Halsey shows up and says "oh I can fix that" and plucks her from the domain, good as new.

To use my oft-cited example, the reason Spock coming back in Star Trek III not totally shitting on his death in Star Trek II is because getting him back requires the destruction of the franchise's most iconic vessel, the death of a main character's son, the annihilation of a once-promising world and the sacrifice of everyone's career. There's a cost involved. If Cortana doesn't "earn" her resurrection, it's going to feel like the cheat it is.

Yeah, but that doesn't really bother me (Force ghosts!) I'd just be disappointed if we went through Halo 4 and then Halo 5 Halsey shows up and says "oh I can fix that" and plucks her from the domain, good as new.

To use my oft-cited example, the reason Spock coming back in Star Trek III not totally shitting on his death in Star Trek II is because getting him back requires the destruction of the franchise's most iconic vessel, the death of a main character's son, the annihilation of a once-promising world and the sacrifice of everyone's career. There's a cost involved. If Cortana doesn't "earn" her resurrection, it's going to feel like the cheat it is.

I agree. I don't want all those emotions from the end of 4 to be worthless looking back. It sure doesn't sound like it'll be a magic fix, though if her 'essence' or whatever is trapped in the Domain, that could be interesting for sure. Chief would definitely have to 'earn' her back (by using the Guardians perhaps?).

Just as long as it's not super cheeky I guess.

I don't know how I'd feel if, according to the audio we got from the video, Cortana is a 'threat' now or whatever. What if Halsey creates a replacement AI to 'do battle' with her? A la Mendicant and Offensive Bias. Could be interesting, and I'd like the parallels, but it could turn out terribly without the right emotional weight being put behind the decisions.

Did you guys hear from Bonnie mentioning the Steven Speilburg project?
It was on a video via GameInformer.

She said it's just starting to go into Production. I wonder what it is going to be about now. Most likely wont see it until next year now. 5 months for production and post-production doesn't sound like enough for a whole series.

Maybe they would latch on the LORE or bring in something from Escalation or maybe the newest book released??? HMMMM....

Did you guys hear from Bonnie mentioning the Steven Speilburg project?
It was on a video via GameInformer.

She said it's just starting to go into Production. I wonder what it is going to be about now. Most likely wont see it until next year now. 5 months for production and post-production doesn't sound like enough for a whole series.

Maybe they would latch on the LORE or bring in something from Escalation or maybe the newest book released??? HMMMM....

Yeah.. she said Hollywood takes their sweet time.. hah.

I am pretty confidant now we wont see it this year, which is fine, I imagine the hype train will be going full bore for Halo 5 with or without a TV show.

Frankie [I think] said that after Halo 5 'everything will change' or something to that effect, so that seems like it'd be a good stepping off point for a TV series.

Maybe we learn where the remaining Forerunners are, and a ship gets dispatched to another galaxy (a la Voyager) to find them?

Or maybe it's a buddy cop show with a gruff Sanghelli and a wacky ex-ODST. [They both have mustaches]

Yeah.. she said Hollywood takes their sweet time.. hah.

I am pretty confidant now we wont see it this year, which is fine, I imagine the hype train will be going full bore for Halo 5 with or without a TV show.

Frankie [I think] said that after Halo 5 'everything will change' or something to that effect, so that seems like it'd be a good stepping off point for a TV series.

Maybe we learn where the remaining Forerunners are, and a ship gets dispatched to another galaxy (a la Voyager) to find them?

Or maybe it's a buddy cop show with a gruff Sanghelli and a wacky ex-ODST. [They both have mustaches]

HAHA! Mustaches!!! .. now i want to see this be REAL!!

You're in for a world of disappointment ;)

She's definitely not gone forever. There's some big plans underfoot for where/who/why in regards to Cortana.

Edit: And also in relation to the Domain and the resurgence of the Flood.

T'Zariah

Banned
Hunters in the Dark is...decent. So far.

One thing that is really, REALLY rubbing me the wrong way is
Osman practically ordering Hood around.

Something about that is really annoying the shit out of me and I hope he puts her in her place.

Something about that is really annoying the shit out of me and I hope he puts her in her place.

I liked the exchange.. felt it showed that ONI had to work with Hood whether they liked it or not. Honestly wish there was more between them.

Curious if any of the other characters introduced during Hunters will make appearances in Halo 5. Guessing not, as to not add more new characters game-only peons players won't know.

link1201

I have been trying to catch up on the lore since Halo 5 is bringing in Blue team to the game. I am up to Ghost of Onyx so a ways to go yet. I have really enjoyed this look into the greater halo universe. My question is though : Are there hardcover options for all the books. I hate paperbacks but I like to buy the books I read. I don't mind collections, I just want hardback "real" books.

I have been trying to catch up on the lore since Halo 5 is bringing in Blue team to the game. I am up to Ghost of Onyx so a ways to go yet. I have really enjoyed this look into the greater halo universe. My question is though : Are there hardcover options for all the books. I hate paperbacks but I like to buy the books I read. I don't mind collections, I just want hardback "real" books.

The Kilo-5 trilogy and the Forerunner trilogy both came in hardcover.

I don't think Broken Circle or Hunters in the Dark had a hardcover option. Also doesn't look like Last Light will have a hardcover either.. what the heck!

I believe they changed publishers.. so maybe it's something to do with that?

I believe the only books offered in hardcover format are Halo: Evolutions, the Kilo-Five trilogy by Karen Traviss and Greg Bear's forerunner trilogy. I too am deeply saddened that I can't own the entire series in hardcover format. I just ordered 8 of the standard paperback format books, including like four that I already owned in the smaller, mass market paperback format, just to make my shelf look more uniform. The only hardcovers that I'll have will be the Forerunner trilogy, which I think is fitting as they are much deeper than the standard Halo lore...

Fotos

So what books should I read to learn more about blue team? I've seen you guys talk about Ghosts of Onyx. I've read part of Glass Lands but I just couldn't get into it. Would it be easier to get into GoO? Or is there another book?

Munki

So what books should I read to learn more about blue team? I've seen you guys talk about Ghosts of Onyx. I've read part of Glass Lands but I just couldn't get into it. Would it be easier to get into GoO? Or is there another book?

Fall of Reach
First Strike

First Fall of Reach, then First Strike, and only then Ghost of Onyx.

LordOfChaos

Osmans characterization continues to be a weird thing in my head. I mean, I guess she's supposed to go full dick the second she becomes ONI head, but she was so personable in Kilo-5.

Especially with
what BB said to her at the end about remaking her own ONI, it makes me a bit sad

Minor Hunters in the Dark spoiler:

So.... Haven't finished the novel yet, but 000 Tragic Solitude is an intriguing new construct. I was hoping "the voice" was going to be Mendicant Bias, but I'm certainly not disappointed. Tragic is a whole world of complexity so far.

Just saw Amazon has Saints Testimony on pre-order for $0.99.

Seems a little on the high side for a Stinklez product.. but inflation etc.

Coming at the end of the month!

Just saw Amazon has Saints Testimony on pre-order for $0.99.

Seems a little on the high side for a Stinklez product.. but inflation etc.

Coming at the end of the month!

They take me for a fool? I wouldn't pay .75! I'm down when it drops to .45, but only then.... wow 343...first micro transactions and now this?

Top Bottom