• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Does anyone have a full comprehensive list of every Halo book, including graphic novels, that have been released and what order to release them in?

I have quite a few of the books, but I'd rather get them all and go for a full read through in order.

Cant seem to find anything up to date.

AlStrong

Does anyone have a full comprehensive list of every Halo book, including graphic novels, that have been released and what order to release them in?

I have quite a few of the books, but I'd rather get them all and go for a full read through in order.

I guess you could start here for the novels http://www.halopedia.org/halo_novels

The comics are pretty straightforward:

Graphic Novel
Uprising - bridges H2-H3
Helljumper - ODSTs
Bloodline - Team Black
Fall of Reach - self explanatory
Initiation - Palmer
Escalation

Toa TAK

Banned
Is it too soon to start wishing for an Arbiter spin-off game again?

Halo 5-II: Keith David's Adventures In Outer Space (Now With Brutes!)

An Arbiter spin-off game would be awesome. Even if it's prequel stuff to see more of his side to the war to fight the Covenant.

An Arbiter spin-off game would be awesome. Even if it's prequel stuff to see more of his side to the war to fight the Covenant.

Interestingly, at one point very early in ODST's development they pitched the idea of having the game center around a squad of Sangheili commandoes. Would be cool to finally see something come of that concept. I've actually wanted a game like that for quite a while, so if we get Halo 5: Swords of Sanghelios I would totally be down for it.

Assuming it's written better than the actual H5...

AlStrong

Would love to see a tutorial to first person shooting featuring a grunt utilizing experimental technology akin to Spartan abilities.

For kids, of course.

The player-grunt ends up in the grunt hospital with food nipples at the end of the tutorial.

LordOfChaos

H5 musings
A lot of us thought Mendicant Bias's backstory would be a precursor (heh) to MB having a meaningful impact in the story (after H3) - but now that I think about it, it was precursor to humanities own AIs turning against them (even if they think it's for good). The parallels are all there, just a different villain. Huh. Well there's a hefty bit of foreshadowing and a huge ass Chekhov's gun fired.

A lot of Cortanas lines towards the end were the same lines the Didact had in the Halo 4 ending speech. I wonder if this is his digital mind screwing with hers.

H5 musings
A lot of us thought Mendicant Bias's backstory would be a precursor (heh) to MB having a meaningful impact in the story (after H3) - but now that I think about it, it was precursor to humanities own AIs turning against them (even if they think it's for good). The parallels are all there, just a different villain. Huh. Well there's a hefty bit of foreshadowing and a huge ass Chekhov's gun fired.

Mendicant Bias v Cortana is something that could very well happen.

MB could be the voice inside Chief's helmet for some of the campaign, even.

#ideas

Erimriv

Here.

Fuchsdh

Mendicant Bias v Cortana is something that could very well happen.

MB could be the voice inside Chief's helmet for some of the campaign, even.

#ideas

Stop trying to make MB happen, Wesley.

8c4b4d23-324c-4c4b-bfe8-23faf38cde0f.gif

(Or, alternatively)

tumblr_lyyiidLyVk1r2z94x.gif

I don't think what you want to happen is what's gonna' happen :p

Geist-

H5 thoughts
Man, I liked the Campaign, but I'm sad that they turned Cortana into the bad guy after what happened at the end of 4. In fact, I'm kind of hoping the writers are actually taking this in an interesting direction, like this is the birth of a 'Culture'-type utopia, with the AI taking on the role of the Minds.

I mean, we already see this type of thing with Governor Sloan, where Sloan isn't a tool to be used by humans, but a beloved leader and equal to humans, even despite the onset of rampancy.

LordOfChaos

H5 thoughts
Man, I liked the Campaign, but I'm sad that they turned Cortana into the bad guy after what happened at the end of 4. In fact, I'm kind of hoping the writers are actually taking this in an interesting direction, like this is the birth of a 'Culture'-type utopia, with the AI taking on the role of the Minds.

I mean, we already see this type of thing with Governor Sloan, where Sloan isn't a tool to be used by humans, but a beloved leader and equal to humans, even despite the onset of rampancy.

Hmm, that would certainly be a different direction than "we defeated the baddies and are now free to kill ourselves".

Interesting that
Forerunner creations like the Warden are agreeing with Cortana that AIs were the reclaimers, not humans, so maybe this is still all according to plan?

Fuchsdh

Hmm, that would certainly be a different direction than "we defeated the baddies and are now free to kill ourselves".

Interesting that
Forerunner creations like the Warden are agreeing with Cortana that AIs were the reclaimers, not humans, so maybe this is still all according to plan?

I think it's more that the Warden
would rather Cortana inherited the Mantle, as opposed to humanity

Mendicant Bias will show up eventually.

Lol I lost count of how many times folks told me to knock it off with trying to evidence how Cortana wasn't dead and would be coming back in Halo 5. And Welp... Here we are haha

I think it's more that the Warden
would rather Cortana inherited the Mantle, as opposed to humanity

I speculated in another thread that
it was mentioned that Warden was not "just a robot" by Witness. I wonder if Warden is somehow something created/descended from the Precursors. And he is manipulating Cortana into doing things for them?

LordOfChaos

Some people saying they heard BBs voice in the AI rebellion joining Cortana...If he joins the dark side, shit, I'm on the dark side :p

Or they just had the VA on hand for HTT so threw his voice in there :p

shiba5

Interesting that

But that would mean that pretty much everything the Librarian says in 4 and Escalation makes zero sense.

LordOfChaos

Was
BB
among them? I couldn't hear.

I've heard people say he was clearly among them, second last voice? Have to find the timestamp.

Seems more the type to subtly subvert the whole plot :p
MC and BB, together at last in Halo 6, baby!

Why was
Rolland
not subdued too?

shiba5

I've heard people say he was clearly among them, second last voice? Have to find the timestamp.

Seems more the type to subtly subvert the whole plot :p
MC and BB, together at last in Halo 6, baby!

Why was
Rolland
not subdued too?

They have some amount of free will. Some chose to join and some didn't. I guess he's "one of the good ones".

LordOfChaos

They have some amount of free will. Some chose to join and some didn't. I guess he's "one of the good ones".

I guess so. I guess it's interesting that in Saint's Testimony
him and BB had a conversation along the same lines of thinking, if it's true that BB was in the joined AIs and they weren't just recycling the VA they already had than it's interesting that their bro-mance is split

Fuchsdh

Honestly I'd see BB "joining"
Cortana in order to see if he could stop rampancy (which at the point of Halo 5 is only, what, a year off?) and/or to screw up her movement from within.

Also goes to question exactly what the nature of the logic plague is, and whether or not it's involved in the ending. The Forerunner Trilogy never really clarified whether it was akin to an actual sickness, a corruption of an AI's code, or if it was something more akin to an incontrovertible proof—"If X, The Forerunner are wrong, the Flood are right"—that no AI could actually argue with and thus it was pure logic that dictated their defection.

Outrun

I am waiting for the MC/Mendicant Bias hook up.....

Wouldn't that be something...

The
shamed AI from eons past, searching for redemption by helping to stop a newly deluded AI from wreaking havoc

Honestly I'd see BB "joining"
Cortana in order to see if he could stop rampancy (which at the point of Halo 5 is only, what, a year off?) and/or to screw up her movement from within.

Also goes to question exactly what the nature of the logic plague is, and whether or not it's involved in the ending. The Forerunner Trilogy never really clarified whether it was akin to an actual sickness, a corruption of an AI's code, or if it was something more akin to an incontrovertible proof—"If X, The Forerunner are wrong, the Flood are right"—that no AI could actually argue with and thus it was pure logic that dictated their defection.

I always preferred the idea of the Logic Plague as a memetic (rather than technological) virus. It's an idea, a set of arguments that poke away at the basis of logic itself until the subject comes to agreement.

I listened to the audio again and I couldn't hear
BB (as BB or Black Box)
. Could be there, but I couldn't tell.. can anyone else hear it, and maybe provide a video with time link?

LordOfChaos

So did we talk about how
A lot of Cortanas lines near the end were the same as the Didacts Halo 4 post ending speech. I think maybe his digital mind screwed with hers, or somehow she absorbed some of his? Using so much of the same speech can't just be on a whim.

So did we talk about how
A lot of Cortanas lines near the end were the same as the Didacts Halo 4 post ending speech. I think maybe his digital mind screwed with hers, or somehow she absorbed some of his? Using so much of the same speech can't just be on a whim.

Oh absolutely. Something is amiss.

At the end of Halo 4, part of her remained with 117 to protect him, but she said "most of me is down there". I am guessing that part faded into nothingness, and the part that remained 'down there' is what eventually came to be the Cortana in Halo 5, so perhaps shes 'not whole', or did combine with the Didact in some way (after his apparent composure in Escalation)

I do find it odd that we've never heard of the Guardians before, since apparently they
we're used a long time ago, and there are ancient records of their use, at least on Sanghelios. Also, there wasn't one on Earth I guess? The Forerunner used the Deep Reverence to keep the San'Shyuum system in line.. and that didn't sound like a Guardian at all.

So did we talk about how

I think it's supposed to be an ironic echo.
I don't think her mind was tampered with, really, she just... arrived at the same/similar conclusions the Didact did, and using the same phrasing is a useful shorthand to communicate that to the player.

It loses some impact, of course, because most people weren't exactly hanging on the Didact's every word.

Fuchsdh

Oh absolutely. Something is amiss.

I do find it odd that we've never heard of the Guardians before, since apparently they
we're used a long time ago, and there are ancient records of their use, at least on Sanghelios. Also, there wasn't one on Earth I guess? The Forerunner used the Deep Reverence to keep the San'Shyuum system in line.. and that didn't sound like a Guardian at all.

Aside from the obvious "they hadn't come up with Guardians" reason, we never saw an incident they would have used it. When the Prophets actually rebelled, they were wiped out by Faber and the Halo—it's possible under lest drastic command the Guardian would have been used instead.

Aside from the obvious "they hadn't come up with Guardians" reason, we never saw an incident they would have used it. When the Prophets actually rebelled, they were wiped out by Faber and the Halo—it's possible under lest drastic command the Guardian would have been used instead.

True. I wish we got a date or something on the last time the Guardians were activated.

I need a printed script of all the Halo 5 dialog.. as I feel like I am sure there is stuff I missed.

My question though, why were the Guardians not used against the Flood? If they're so powerful, and the Forerunner were throwing everything they had at the Flood.. why not use the Guardians as well, if nothing else, to help delay the Flood forces to buy time to get the Halo array fired.

... answering my own question, perhaps the Forerunners feared the Guardians being controlled by Mendicant Bias? I dunno.

Since they seem to be key to the story going forward, I imagine 343i will fill us in on some details.. hopefully..

Flipyap

My question though, why were the Guardians not used against the Flood? If they're so powerful, and the Forerunner were throwing everything they had at the Flood.. why not use the Guardians as well, if nothing else, to help delay the Flood forces to buy time to get the Halo array fired.
It's hard to say based on our limited understanding of what these things are capable of. Right now most of the destruction caused by them was due to their messy methods of self-excavation and Cortana's only (?) clear display of power at the end was an EMP on a planetary scale, which would be extremely useful for grounding species dependent on technology, and less so against endlessly replicating monsters made from dead stuff.

It's hard to say based on our limited understanding of what these things are capable of. Right now most of the destruction caused by them was due to their messy methods of self-excavation and Cortana's only (?) clear display of power at the end was an EMP on a planetary scale, which would be extremely useful for grounding species dependent on technology, and less so against endlessly replicating monsters made from dead stuff.

Would be good at keeping them ON-planet though!

Unless they can come up with another way to go planet hopping.. a la StarShip Troopers :)

But yeah, we don't know enough, I just hope it's on the list of things to fill us in on and not something we're never going to touch on again *cough* Mendicant Bias *cough*.

Fuchsdh

Would be good at keeping them ON-planet though!

Unless they can come up with another way to go planet hopping.. a la StarShip Troopers :)

But yeah, we don't know enough, I just hope it's on the list of things to fill us in on and not something we're never going to touch on again *cough* Mendicant Bias *cough*.

At the point where you would use a Guardian against the Flood, you'd probably just be orbitally bombarding the planet to kill all the Flood there anyhow. The EMP is going to hurt anyone *besides* the Flood a lot more than the Flood themselves.

Well I'd assume the offensive capabilities of the Guardians extends past 'just' an EMP.

Other Forerunner tech doesn't seem to be effected, and human tech can likely be shielded. It didn't take the Infinity long to power up and take off. I am looking forward to seeing what else they're packing if people decide to go against Cortana.

That being said, I wonder if the Guardians were used before the Forerunners fought against ancient humanity? Which would explain their absense from Earth and most known lore of that time period.

I still wish the Guardians were something the Forerunners had used in their war against the Precursors.. Would have been a lot more grand and evil that way.

Well I'd assume the offensive capabilities of the Guardians extends past 'just' an EMP.

Other Forerunner tech doesn't seem to be effected, and human tech can likely be shielded. It didn't take the Infinity long to power up and take off. I am looking forward to seeing what else they're packing if people decide to go against Cortana.

That being said, I wonder if the Guardians were used before the Forerunners fought against ancient humanity? Which would explain their absense from Earth and most known lore of that time period.

I still wish the Guardians were something the Forerunners had used in their war against the Precursors.. Would have been a lot more grand and evil that way.

But there's also the fact that Infinity is based on forerunner tech right?

also @ that precursor art. I'd love to finally see them in game and take them somewhere but at this point and the direction they're taking the story I doubt it. The reclaimer saga took a completely different turn than I expected it to before all of this began, not to say that's bad, just a little disappointing stuff from the forerunner trilogy wasn't really touched on or explored deeply in a present day setting.

The Infinity seems to be a special case somehow;
Cortana couldn't even find the thing until her Guardian happened to enter the same system it was in.
Maybe it's got something to do with the Forerunner engines and power core?

Fuchsdh

Cortana got a boob reduction, right? Plus is visibly wearing some digi-clothes now where it was ambiguous before.

Well I assume it's some kind of hard-light armature. I kinda' like it, although I feel like it's a bit more overwrought then it needs to be.

What I thought was interesting was
Cortana's hatred of Halsey. She refers to her as a monster, and as eventually 'paying for her crimes'. I can see a lot of people taking this as more Halsey-hate from 343, but I think it's actually rather personal—I think she has come to see Halsey's "callous" use and creating of the AIs like herself, sentient beings essentially that could not truly interact with the world and who were doomed to death from birth, as the crime.

I dunno why everyone's jumping to the conclusion
all the AIs are joining Cortana, though. Obviously she only needs a critical mass to essentially take over, and the pulse could wipe a lot of the rest out (presumably if she really is bringing the other AIs into the Domain to cure them, she could nuke at will without fear of harming her own.) but while she's certainly inspired a revolt we really don't know the full damage yet.

Also seriously, why is Cortana's face still changing every single game (it's also weird how round her face has gotten considering Halsey's more angular look, even accounting for age.)

Top Bottom