• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

AlStrong

huh. (Amazon.ca) Guess I'll be busy for a bit.

wjytXgV.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Fall of Reach is up on channel for le, LCE owners.

It is saying buy Halo 5. I bought it and have to download item for FOR installed. What more do I need to do now?

DOWN

Banned
For someone who wants to know the Halo 5 mainline story setup, what do I need to do? I know Halo 2 Anniversary has some stuff, that live action show has some, there's some Halo 5 ads to watch, and then Halo 4 of course. That's the mainstream content that sets up 5 right?

shiba5

Fall of Reach is up on channel for le, LCE owners.

Are all the episodes unlocked or just the first one - that's the only one I can watch. It tells me to "buy Halo" if I click on the others. I bought the limited edition console (plus a copy for my other X1), and I'm sorry Stinkles, but I'm not giving you guys any more monies right now.
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit and would like to watch the rest.

Flintty

I finally found time to start Hunt the Truth today and I'm hooked. Just started S2... Really powerful stuff. This deserves some kind of reward/recognition.

Kalentan

Huh. I never realized Lasky and Sully are 1 year older than Chief. As I was saying to my friend, that makes FUD even better. xD

For some reason I always thought Lasky and Sully were like a year or two younger than Chief.

Voror

I've been looking to start reading some of the EU books since while I'm not too familiar with the games, I am interested in the lore. But would I be better off starting with Fall of Reach and moving on through a few of those or perhaps starting with the Forerunner Saga?

I've been looking to start reading some of the EU books since while I'm not too familiar with the games, I am interested in the lore. But would I be better off starting with Fall of Reach and moving on through a few of those or perhaps starting with the Forerunner Saga?

Fall of Reach is always first.

Then First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, maybe some others.. then hit up the Forerunner trilogy. It's glorious, dense, but glorious.. but knowing some more EU may help.

Well, all the episodes of The Fall of Reach just unlocked for me and I just marathoned through all three of them. Have to say, I am impressed at its quality. I knew it was going to be good and 343i lived up to my expectations for the adaption of the book.

I definitely hope we get some more book adaptions going forward :)

Well, all the episodes of The Fall of Reach just unlocked for me and I just marathoned through all three of them. Have to say, I am impressed at its quality. I knew it was going to be good and 343i lived up to my expectations for the adaption of the book.

I definitely hope we get some more book adaptions going forward :)

Ditto.. watched them all..
Sam :(

So good.. Stinklez.. any chance we get something like this for First Strike?

Dat Tom Salta though...

LordOfChaos

For someone who wants to know the Halo 5 mainline story setup, what do I need to do? I know Halo 2 Anniversary has some stuff, that live action show has some, there's some Halo 5 ads to watch, and then Halo 4 of course. That's the mainstream content that sets up 5 right?

After those, an easy one would be the Hunt the Truth audio series, and if you really want to understand most of what's going on, the Forerunner trilogy is really the best prologue to Halo 4/5.

Huh. I never realized Lasky and Sully are 1 year older than Chief. As I was saying to my friend, that makes FUD even better. xD

Born 1 year older, now biologically a few more , wrap your head around that one :p
since Chief was in Cryo for a while

LordOfChaos

So, when is it safe to post my spoilerific thoughts on the events of Halo 5? I've got my black bars ready.

If they're marked as H5 spoilers and in spoiler tags go for it I'd say. Just everyone be sure to mark EVERY post indicating if the spoiler tag is for Halo 5 or something else.

cvk5zB0.jpg

The below contains spoilers for Halo 5's ending. And I mean all of it.

SO DON'T CLICK IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SPOILED. I MEAN SERIOUSLY GUYS, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

You absolutely sure? CLICK BELOW.

I'd like to talk about Cortana. As you all know by know, she’s cured herself of Rampancy by accessing the Forerunner domain. It feels a bit too easy, especially considering the fact that the Domain was destroyed at the end of the Forerunner trilogy. The Domain was a Precursor creation, built of neural physics. It died, along with every other piece of Precursor tech, when the Halo Array was fired. That it should return now doesn't seem to me like a coincidence. What if some Precursor is pulling Cortana's strings behind the scenes?

There's also something inherently wrong about Cortana when we finally meet her. Aside from the fact that her new look seems to have come from an Uncanny Valley clearance sale, I mean. When she’s finally confronted with her favorite Spartan, you finally realize the truth. She hasn’t cured her rampancy at all. She's gone fully insane and has the firepower to turn that insanity into one hell of a weapon.

It’s a sci-fi cliché, but you’ll excuse me if I think it’s a cool idea for the Halo universe. And the precedent has been there since as early as Halo: Reach, with the inclusion of its data pads.
The involvement of the Precursors is once again hinted at when you beat the game on Legendary difficulty. You hear Cortana humming as light dawns upon an unidentified Halo ring.

In her insanity, using a Halo ring wouldn't be too difficult, but I doubt that's what's really going on here. She's not looking to activate the rings. She's looking to release the specimens that are stored upon it.

The logic plague was a big part of the Forerunner saga. The Flood and the Primordial could turn A.I.'s against their creators. Just like Cortana has now been turned against humanity. She's been exposed to the whims of one Gravemind, why would she fare any better when she came upon something even older, even more ancient?

Whatever the case, this next phase in the Halo universe is going to be very, very interesting.

webkatt

Is there a good video recap of halos story up to five? I have have but am hesitant to play it as I don't really know the story of halo. My knowledge of it is that master chief fights aliens with the help of cortana

I don't care if it's a long video, I actually prefer those over let's recap in 12 minutes

Tawpgun

Spoilers for Fall of Reach animation

I get that its supposed to introduce you to chief and blue team... but they stopped the story after the first mission against the covenant where Sam dies. We didn't get to see them fighting on Reach :(

As for Halo 5...

RIP to anyone who never touched outside material. I still know nothing about Vale/Tanaka other than some very vague exposition. One can speak sangheili the other survived a glassing.

LordOfChaos

Is there a good video recap of halos story up to five? I have have but am hesitant to play it as I don't really know the story of halo. My knowledge of it is that master chief fights aliens with the help of cortana

I don't care if it's a long video, I actually prefer those over let's recap in 12 minutes

Watch the "game movies" of each Halo, plus Spartan Ops and all the terminals. Pretty entertaining that way actually, I enjoyed watching them as movies, particularly the Blur rendered H2A ones.

bidguy

Banned
cvk5zB0.jpg

SO DON'T CLICK IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SPOILED. I MEAN SERIOUSLY GUYS, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

I'd like to talk about Cortana. As you all know by know, she’s cured herself of Rampancy by accessing the Forerunner domain. It feels a bit too easy, especially considering the fact that the Domain was destroyed at the end of the Forerunner trilogy. The Domain was a Precursor creation, built of neural physics. It died, along with every other piece of Precursor tech, when the Halo Array was fired. That it should return now doesn't seem to me like a coincidence. What if some Precursor is pulling Cortana's strings behind the scenes?

There's also something inherently wrong about Cortana when we finally meet her. Aside from the fact that her new look seems to have come from an Uncanny Valley clearance sale, I mean. When she’s finally confronted with her favorite Spartan, you finally realize the truth. She hasn’t cured her rampancy at all. She's gone fully insane and has the firepower to turn that insanity into one hell of a weapon.

It’s a sci-fi cliché, but you’ll excuse me if I think it’s a cool idea for the Halo universe. And the precedent has been there since as early as Halo: Reach, with the inclusion of its data pads.
The involvement of the Precursors is once again hinted at when you beat the game on Legendary difficulty. You hear Cortana humming as light dawns upon an unidentified Halo ring.

In her insanity, using a Halo ring wouldn't be too difficult, but I doubt that's what's really going on here. She's not looking to activate the rings. She's looking to release the specimens that are stored upon it.

The logic plague was a big part of the Forerunner saga. The Flood and the Primordial could turn A.I.'s against their creators. Just like Cortana has now been turned against humanity. She's been exposed to the whims of one Gravemind, why would she fare any better when she came upon something even older, even more ancient?

Whatever the case, this next phase in the Halo universe is going to be very, very interesting.

you might be onto something but whatever remains of the precursors turned into flood. its been a while since i read the forerunner books but i remember reading that precursors made the flood spores as a last ditch effort to fuck the forerunners and they obviously succeeded lol. the last one of them was the primordial, a precursor turned flood gravemind so it might very well be possible that one is pulling the strings but who knows with 343

webkatt

Watch the "game movies" of each Halo, plus Spartan Ops and all the terminals. Pretty entertaining that way actually, I enjoyed watching them as movies, particularly the Blur rendered H2A ones.

Where do I find these? And is there a particular order I should watch them?

Fuchsdh

I do have to say, it's pretty amusing that after years and literally someone saying every game "
Cortana's evil
" it's funny that it's now actually true.

Definitely a sharp right turn away from what I expected, for sure, although the UNSC and insurrectionists coming to a head didn't seem like it'd quite work in the video games. Interested to see where we go from here.

cvk5zB0.jpg

snip

Ditto the above warnings..

Btw.. Loved your Halo 5 review!

I had the same thought. Something is amiss.

The Logic plague was my first guess. The Forerunner basically lost the war because an AI t(Mendicant Bias) turned against them. Why would the Librarian design their plan to have the Mantle taken over by AI? That just doesn't make sense to me at all.

A balanced and forcibly peaceful universe was not the Forerunner way either.

Releasing the Flood seems plausible as well. From a logic perspective, if the Guardians alone don't work at keeping the forced peace, Cortana may think that the Flood could be the great unifier.. Especially considering her history.. Which could be the long plan the whole time.

Really interesting to think of the 'Reclaimer Saga' being about Cortana and NOT 117!

Who is the Warden Eternal? I was guessing he was whoever left the Forerunner data pads? I didn't find them all so I dont know. Didn't seem like he was the Didact.

The AI thing.. SO COOL! Can't wait to see that fleshed out.. Makes Hunt the Truth and Saints Testimony so much more impactful. Still seems like Cortana can't take over dedicated Forerunner AI, which is interesting.

Loved the game. Everything I could want, except make it longer!

As for Halo 5...

RIP to anyone who never touched outside material. I still know nothing about Vale/Tanaka other than some very vague exposition. One can speak sangheili the other survived a glassing.

I really don't get this. People keep saying if you didn't consume outside material you wouldn't know what's going on, but I couldn't disagree less. I mean, for example the book and comic that introduce Vale and Tanaka respectively are far from required reading. You get just a little more backstory, but you don't actually need any of it at all.

Basically everything you need to know is mentioned in the game clearly enough. In fact really, the books and comics have basically no impact here at all. You could literally go directly from Spartan Ops to Halo 5 without reading a single comic without missing a single beat (I mean, Halo 5 doesn't explain the Janus Key, but that can be hand-waved away). The entirety of Escalation is completely unnecessary for Halo 5 to the point that it's almost not even worth bothering. New Blood, while great, ultimately serves to say "Buck is a Spartan now" and nothing more. Tanaka's story in the comics barely did much of anything for her anyway (she survived things, yay). Vale spent her book talking to a robot, not exactly a critical read. Even the books featuring Blue Team aren't essential, because the game literally tells us "they were raised together, they're family" as far as what they do with Blue Team that's the most you'd ever need. And HuntTheTruth seemingly fits into Halo 5's canon tenuously at best, it's certainly not required listening.

So yeah, again, that sentiment makes no sense to me. There's a couple areas where knowing the lore adds to it (like
the signal Blue Team used
) but if you didn't read the books it doesn't really hurt you.

That was such a fantastic campaign...I'll just go ahead and say I think it's my favorite one, based off of the lore and story advancement. There's just so much there. It's not perfect, but it sure was an enjoyable experience.

That was such a fantastic campaign...I'll just go ahead and say I think it's my favorite one, based off of the lore and story advancement. There's just so much there. It's not perfect, but it sure was an enjoyable experience.

............. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh................

I've never been more disappointed by a story. Any story. Ever. I don't know what happened here, because Halo 4 was my favorite story in a Halo game yet... :\

So flawed. Just.... So, so flawed.

I did like the idea of Cortana's ascension and whatnot, but that's about it.

............. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh................

I've never been more disappointed by a story. Any story. Ever. I don't know what happened here, because Halo 4 was my favorite story in a Halo game yet... :\

So flawed. Just.... So, so flawed.

I did like the idea of Cortana's ascension and whatnot, but that's about it.

What's wrong with it, exactly? Personally, I thought that it kind of suffered from a weak front half due to the
hunt the Chief
storyline being kind of... awkwardly implemented, but everything else was great.

Spoilers for Fall of Reach animation

I get that its supposed to introduce you to chief and blue team... but they stopped the story after the first mission against the covenant where Sam dies. We didn't get to see them fighting on Reach :(

As for Halo 5...

But wasn't the majority of the planetside fighting stuff written in First Strike

Ditto the above warnings..

Btw.. Loved your Halo 5 review!

Who is the Warden Eternal? I was guessing he was whoever left the Forerunner data pads? I didn't find them all so I dont know. Didn't seem like he was the Didact.

Thanks!

Halo 5:
He's not. In later data pads that Builder talks about not understanding why the Warden Eternal is walking again, and that it seems the Warden made a pact with someone. That later turns out to be Cortana, who begins hunting the Builder. So he was still alive until shortly after the events of Halo 4.The only thing we really know about the Warden Eternal is that he's not a robot.

But wasn't the majority of the planetside fighting stuff written in First Strike

TFOR:
It was, but it still seems odd to call your mini-series "The Fall of Reach" and then end it before Reach actually falls. It was a cute introduction to Blue Team, even with the changes made to Nylund's original story, but it wasn't the Fall of Reach. I was hoping 343 was gonna address the whole Pillar of Autumn-is-suddenly-planetside debacle.

TFOR:
It was, but it still seems odd to call your mini-series "The Fall of Reach" and then end it before Reach actually falls. It was a cute introduction to Blue Team, even with the changes made to Nylund's original story, but it wasn't the Fall of Reach. I was hoping 343 was gonna address the whole Pillar of Autumn-is-suddenly-planetside debacle.

I don't consider Halo:Reach as canon think bungie should have gone
with First strike, maybe as Red Team and a couple of mission as Chief
in operation first strike. Would have been a nice introduction for Fred and the Brutes first encounter..

Top Bottom