• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sephzilla

Ledge grabbing I think would also massively screw up some of the legacy maps depending on how high you can jump and if things like double jumps are also in place. For example, traversing Midship would be entirely different.

tootsi666

The problem about ledge grabbing is that it still needs to be a manually controlled event by the player. What if you are jumping to avoid a grenade but the ledge grab mechanic kicks in, climbs you up and you die as a result. This is all speculation and I'm open minded, but they would have to prove a lot with that.
Yep. There is no change it's going to work well enough.

jem0208

The problem about ledge grabbing is that it still needs to be a manually controlled event by the player. What if you are jumping to avoid a grenade but the ledge grab mechanic kicks in, climbs you up and you die as a result. This is all speculation and I'm open minded, but they would have to prove a lot with that.

Pretty sure I would quit Halo

That's my main worry about it. We'll have to see how it works. I think it could be pretty good if it required a well timed button press.

Impala26

Going to have to disagree a bit. Ever since I saw the Spartans in Halo Wars fight the Elites, I was convinced that that is how they should play. The Halo 4 opener with the Spartans fighting too was another good glimpse at their physical prowess.

Spartans were always written about as these elite, bad-ass soldiers who could defeat legions barehanded, yet they fight in the Halo games like normal soldiers with super armor. Walk, shoot, walk, shoot. The physical feats they're supposed to be capable of never really translated over into the games.

This sounds like getting back to core gameplay, with the physicality that I believe Spartans should have in gameplay. And as long as everybody spawns with the same abilities and it comes down to the skill of how you use it, I am perfectly fine with it.

Of course, this is just my analysis. We'll see for sure when we play.

Well put. We haven't see how this will play exactly just yet and people are ALREADY rushing to judgment. 343i has at least learned (I think) that loadouts and AA's are bad and that maps should have "points of control" based on map layout and power weapon spawns. To me, the latter has been the hallmark of the Halo franchise as well as longer kill times compared to other "modern" shooters. Increased movement speed, movement options, etc. are a WELCOME addition to me and I love the idea as you have put forth about making players feel like badass Spartan superheroes.

Again, we'll see how it all plays out, but based on early impressions it already sounds like it plays better than Halo 4 multi.

Just learned that I'm probably going to be out of town to shoot some videos on Tuesday evening overnight into Wednesday for work... I even finally got an Xbox One.

This is the first time this job has ever required something outside of my regular 9am-6pm work hours too. :(

It's a good thing it's games I've played before and not something completely new.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I was all on the Halo 4 hype train pre-launch and was wrong there, but I still typically say let's wait and see before melting down about rumored content. At least we get a beta this time to see if any of this is true.

Tawpgun

That's true. We get a beta so we can point and say "This part in particular sucks pls change"

And maybe it will get changed.

Maybe not.

Could just end up being one of those things where the masses (ie the people that will leave the game for the next shiny thing) love the new mechanics and the people that tend to stay and play Halo for years to come don't./

Sephzilla

I was all on the Halo 4 hype train pre-launch and was wrong there, but I still typically say let's wait and see before melting down about rumored content. At least we get a beta this time to see if any of this is true.

That's true. We get a beta so we can point and say "This part in particular sucks pls change"

And maybe it will get changed.

Maybe not.

Could just end up being one of those things where the masses (ie the people that will leave the game for the next shiny thing) love the new mechanics and the people that tend to stay and play Halo for years to come don't./

Yeah I'm reserving judgement until the beta.

This beta is pretty long by console beta standards too, isn't it? Maybe there's a good chance that H5 will be fairly different at start versus at the end of the beta.

Booshka

Halo really doesn't need Thruster packs or Sprint for movement, it needs faster base movement speed, and a good strafe, along with some solid jumping.

I imagine that a lot of these abilities are going to take the gun out of your hands while they are in use. This is the shit that bothers me, I want my gun at the ready at all times, running, jumping, shooting, grenades and melee all available at all times.

If the Thruster pack idea is going to be similar to Shadowrun's Wired Reflexes in that you don't lose control of your weaponry or ability to look around then I'll be alright with it. It's when movement based abilities actually make you feel clunkier and take the gun out of your hand that I feel it is counterintuitive to the idea of movement based abilities.

belushy

Banned
Well at least there is a beta a year before the game comes out. If there is a big enough uproar they might change things around. Personally I freaking hate the idea of mantle/ledge grabbing. I'm cool with everything else.

ibpOlVuFcMjZVA.gif

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I was going to be salty here, but, I don't want to be.

Let's just be optimistic and hope they please both sets of players.

I'm not terribly excited about pull ups, but not all skill jumps involve grabbing ledges.
It's likely skill jumping will exist, it'll just be different.
At least there's no Jetpack...

That new game mode sounds pretty interesting.
I love elimination style games, but it hasn't really worked well in Halo yet, so that'd be cool.

The whole 'vaulting into the battlefield' reminds me of the little trailer we saw of Spartans jumping into the map, I guess that's actually how games start.

Excited for Monday

we should really just trust 343, I'm sure it still feels like halo

8f70c6ea.gif

At least there's a beta this time so we can actually make that decision ourselves

This. The leak sounds a bit worrying but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with this one since they're giving us a beta so early. I imagine they'll be listening and adjusting the multiplayer as feedback is given to these new features. The ledge grab sounds like it'll be the most talked about though. Already sounds weird reading about it and imagining it in a Halo multiplayer game.

Booshka

If Halo 5 is bad and HaloGAF still plays it instead of all the good Halo games in MCC, then I won't even know what to say anymore.

Will the sprint ability work like lunging with the melee weapon?

I still don't believe it because of the loadout comment at the bottom.

In other news I still don't have the fucking patch.

I turned off auto download and restarted the Xbox one MCC showed up as 59Gb
but nothing downloaded. Given i have no download cap i just redownloaded everything just to be sure.

jem0208

I still don't believe it because of the loadout comment at the bottom.

In other news I still don't have the fucking patch.

I'm tempted to agree. Most of the stuff in the leak could also have been gotten entirely by watching the trailers and looking at images.

Also same.

Yeah, the beta alleviates a lot of my worry. 3 week long beta almost a year out from release? This isn't some stress test nonsense, this is the real deal. We have a chance to make a real, positive change on Halo 5.

- .-. ..- . / .- -. -.. / -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. . - . .-.. -.-- / .- .-- . ... --- -- . .-.-.- / -- .. -. -.. -....- -... .-.. --- .-- .. -. --. / .- .-- . ... --- -- . .-.-.- / -- --- -. -.. .- -.-- .-.-.-

"TRUE AND COMPLETELY AWESOME. MIND-BLOWING AWESOME. MONDAY."

L kdyh dq hadplqdwlrq rq Prqgdb :(

"I have an examination on Monday."

L grqw kdyh fodvv Prqgdb. :)

Is there a translator online for simple letter shifting? I did this crap manually.

I turned off auto download and restarted the Xbox one MCC showed up as 59Gb
but nothing downloaded. Given i have no download cap i just redownloaded everything just to be sure.

I've tried every trick in the book except deleting the game and redownloading it, that's my last resort come Sunday. I went over my data limit last month because of the MCC and I fear I'm gonna do it again this month because of it.

DJ Gunner

I've long felt now that the MCC is more than just a "collection"- it's a swan song to classic Halo. The path they started down in earnest with Halo 4 is just not going to change significantly. Sure, they probably learned that randomness, power weapons all over the map and unique abilities were bad for arena gameplay- but make no mistake about it, they intend to create a new arena shooter, not remake Halo 2 with prettier graphics.

At this point, I'm okay with this. We've got the classic games now in butter smooth visuals that we can play indefinitely, as far as we know. Old Halo fans will stick with those, and 343 is going to forge its own path.

Impala26

Any hints regarding playable Elites and/or Invasion-like mode in Halo 5?

Anyone find out if the rumored 16v16 BTB was bollocks?

Kampfheld

Banned
-.-. --- -- .--. . - .. - .. ...- . / . -. ...- .. .-. --- -. -- . -. - .-.-.- / .-. .- -. -.- ... / -. / -.. .. ...- .. ... .. --- -. ... .-.-.- / -.-. .-.. .- -. ... .-.-.- / -- .- .--. / -.-. --- -. - .-. --- .-.. / ..-. --- -.-. ..- ... .-.-.- / -. --- / ... - .-. . .- -.- ... .-.-.- / -. --- / -.. .-. --- .--. ... .-.-.- / -. --- / ... .... .. - .-.-.- / . -. .--- --- -.-- / .-- . . -.- . -. -.. / -. --- .-- .-.-.-

-.-. --- -- .--. . - .. - .. ...- . / . -. ...- .. .-. --- -. -- . -. - .-.-.- / .-. .- -. -.- ... / -. / -.. .. ...- .. ... .. --- -. ... .-.-.- / -.-. .-.. .- -. ... .-.-.- / -- .- .--. / -.-. --- -. - .-. --- .-.. / ..-. --- -.-. ..- ... .-.-.- / -. --- / ... - .-. . .- -.- ... .-.-.- / -. --- / -.. .-. --- .--. ... .-.-.- / -. --- / ... .... .. - .-.-.- / . -. .--- --- -.-- / .-- . . -.- . -. -.. / -. --- .-- .-.-.-

COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT. RANKS N DIVISIONS. CLANS. MAP CONTROL FOCUS. NO STREAKS. NO DROPS. NO SHIT. ENJOY WEEKEND NOW.

According to some random translator online.

Any hints regarding playable Elites and/or Invasion-like mode in Halo 5?

Anyone find out if the rumored 16v16 BTB was bollocks?

Nothing concrete. The fact that they're referring to 4v4 Arena like it's its own separate thing suggests that they're planning on something radical for BTB, but it's all just speculation at this point. I think my ideal Halo 5 multiplayer setup would have 4 distinct modes: Arena, Invasion, Warfare (BTB), and Firefight.

What does it say?

Hype:

COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT. RANKS N DIVISIONS. CLANS. MAP CONTROL FOCUS. NO STREAKS. NO DROPS. NO SHIT. ENJOY WEEKEND NOW.

Based Kampfheld! Based morse translators!

klodeckel

Banned

giphy.gif

belushy

Banned

Okay, mr. Kamp... what about WEAPON control? Is that still in?

Welfare

O.O

If that is "Arena", then I can see BTB getting the shaft on new "stuff">

jem0208

If you're going to tell us all this you might as well tell us if the other leak was true. Or if not, what it's actually going to be like...

;)

VinFTW

Okay... thats much better.

HaloGAF clan inc.

Wonder what "divisions" mean.

If you're going to tell us all this you might as well tell us if the other leak was true. Or if not, what it's actually going to be like...

;)

He already confirmed that with his first morse code post.

Top Bottom