• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I'm optimistic about Halo 5, despite the "leaks." Either way, that leak isn't altogether accurate and we literally see Halo 5 in a few days. The focus on the e-sports scene and 343 regulating the e-sport settings/modes could be an extremely amazing thing for Halo.

Havok

Re: Breakout - the series has had elimination gametypes in the past.

You might notice that its time in matchmaking was short-lived. This may have been for a reason. Could be cool, could die on the vine based on popularity and mechanics, who knows.

Tawpgun

Leaked Halo 5 Gameplay:

_1381424300.gif

_1382147066.gif

Would seriously love to play an Enders Game FPS

I'm in class, can anybody find that post where the guy said he's gonna tell us about halo 5? It's somewhere in this ot.

Also:

We are in this together guys, whatever happens with halo 5, happens, but let's at least give it a fair chance and at the very least give them the feedback they need to make the best halo game possible. It may not look like halo but it could be fucking awesome and end up being a true evolution of the Halo we know and love.

/raise fist

no I'm not being racist viewtiful<3
Or it could be another halo 4.

The one thing that bugs me about that leak is that we know that loadouts aren't in there. Other than that... eh, wait and see.

And yeah, Breakout does sound pretty cool.

Kampfheld

Banned
- .-. ..- . / .- -. -.. / -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. . - . .-.. -.-- / .- .-- . ... --- -- . .-.-.- / -- .. -. -.. -....- -... .-.. --- .-- .. -. --. / .- .-- . ... --- -- . .-.-.- / -- --- -. -.. .- -.-- .-.-.-

Welfare

Then play another fucking series.

Thank you.

343 should not go "crazy" just because we have 4 other games on here. When 343 went "crazy", we got a Halo 4. Unless you want 3 years to potentially be wasted just because 343 have to "Evolve" Halo, be my guest. I don't want to have to go back to previous games to get my Halo fix, just because some new people won't come to Halo because it lacks sprint and ADS.

If you want things to be drastically different in Halo because "X" game has it, or "Y" series have had it for years, then go to them.

- .-. ..- . / .- -. -.. / -.-. --- -- .--. .-.. . - . .-.. -.-- / .- .-- . ... --- -- . .-.-.- / -- .. -. -.. -....- -... .-.. --- .-- .. -. --. / .- .-- . ... --- -- . .-.-.- / -- --- -. -.. .- -.-- .-.-.-
Plz Kampfheld. Not like this.

tootsi666

Thank you.

343 should not go "crazy" just because we have 4 other games on here. When 343 went "crazy", we got a Halo 4. Unless you want 3 years to potentially be wasted just because 343 have to "Evolve" Halo, be my guest. I don't want to have to go back to previous games to get my Halo fix, just because some new people won't come to Halo because it lacks sprint and ADS.

If you want things to be drastically different in Halo because "X" game has it, or "Y" series have had it for years, then go to them.
Going crazy is the exact opposite of copying stuff from other games. Trying completely new mechanics is going crazy.

So I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but it seems that Italian rumor is most likely true regarding Halo 5. Press got to play Halo 5 the same day as the Italian article was posted, which all but confirms its truthfulness.

Of course, we will find out later today when our little friend comes on to talk about Halo 5 today like he promised (can't remember his username though).

I'm gonna go with of course it's true.

As soon as it hit 343 chimed in assuring that loadouts weren't a thing for 'Arena' and it has fair starts. They didn't touch on anything else.

I'm gonna go with of course it's true.

As soon as it hit 343 chimed in assuring that loadouts weren't a thing for 'Arena' and it has fair starts. They didn't touch on anything else.

If the map design smartly accommodates for any extra mobility then I think it could be a winner. I really resist the idea of any auto-ledge grabbing, because skill jumps have always been a big part of Halo and I think it should remain. Certain Affinity even realized that and tried to preserve skill jumps in Halo 2 Anniversary.

Let's hope AssCreed auto ledge grabbing isn't a thing ;)

Can a brother get a quick link to these leaks, if possible?

What I played in London was just a part of the Maxi-Beta that is going to hit on December 29th, the content of the Beta will be released over time and we will have the chance to play 7 maps and 3 gametypes. During our 2 hours of gameplay, we had the chance to try the first part of the Beta, which will be featuring 2 Gametypes on 3 maps, but before we had the chance to play, 343i introduced us to Halo 5's new features: There's many.

There have been added some small Thruster packs which allow for many new ways to move around, in a Titanfall fashion. A double jump has been intruduced; you can also stay in the air for a few seconds or evade side-wise, even while airborn.

Using a new animation system, our Spartans are able to climb on platforms with their arms with a very fluid and fast motion. There's also a couple of special moves:
The first one is the ability to sprint (faster than the usual run) to charge enemies from the front or from behind. Getting them from the front will remove the enemy's shield immediatly, from the back will insta-kill them; watch out though, Sprinting will prevent you from recharging your shields.

The second one instead is a charge from above: you can click the right stick while aiming on the ground to perform a Ground Pound, but you will be left vulnerable to enemy fire.

Our first game was a classic deathmatch 4v4; there was an indicator for The spawn points of Power Weapons like Rockets, Sniper and Sword. There's also a timer that will let you know when they will spawn.The first map we played on was on the top of a skyscraper, with many platforms with outside and inside zones.
The second one was instead (The guy is talking about Midship, I'll prevent you from reading his terrible description).The Multiplayer felt like an evolution to first person shooters, with a frenetic pace in which it's better to always run and jump, where aiming skills are more important than well knowing the maps.

The second Gametype is called Breakout. It's a 4v4 deathmatch without respawns; if you get killed, you'll be out for the rest of the round. The map is small, it has a Tron look to it, it's an open space with pyramids, parallelepipeds and cubes that can be used as cover. The game will start with the team been literally catapulted on the map: you must be very fast to reach the Power positions on the map. First team to 5 rounds wins,
This gametype is very immediate and fun.

From a technical standpoint, the game runs at 60 fps with an engine that shines for special effects like lights and reflections.
Unfortunately we had no chance to have a look at player customization that will surely be provided in the beta.

It will be possible to choose a loadout, but it won't be like in Call of Duty, the best weapons will be on the map in a typical Halo fashion.

Can't say I'm excited. This seems like another radical change to play catchup with what other shooters are doing. I'll wait to see gameplay before I jump to conclusions, but the leak doesn't sound like something I'd personally want for Halo.

What's up?

I'm the same...

Kamph is a verified person in the know (via Bish) so yeah...the Halo 5 impressions are "legit".

Get hype? Maybe?

I'm not too fussed if they do something crazy different and new. We have all the old games. If it's GOOD, then I'll play it. :)

EDIT: Wonder if I'll get to play it at this London Launch event thingy on Monday? *crosses fingers and toes*

VinFTW

The only thing I have massive issues with is ledge grabbing. I mean Ffs, skill jumps are even In halo 2 anniversary. That's so... Call of duty.

jem0208

The only thing I have massive issues with is ledge grabbing. I mean Ffs, skill jumps are even In halo 2 anniversary. That's so... Ca of duty.

Ledge grabbing doesn't mean we can't still have skill jumps.

They'll just be different. They'll just involve jumping higher.

Kamph is a verified person in the know (via Bish) so yeah...the Halo 5 impressions are "legit".

Get hype? Maybe?

I'm not too fussed if they do something crazy different and new. We have all the old games. If it's GOOD, then I'll play it. :)

EDIT: Wonder if I'll get to play it at this London Launch event thingy on Monday? *crosses fingers and toes*
Ah, yeah. I'm quite hyped.

I'd love to see something to freshen up Halo. These movement systems which have been described sound great.

I posted this before, but here it is again:

Assuming some of the leak is true, I am not happy about the implications of the ground pound ability, nor the automatic climbing of ledges while jumping. If we see an animation for climbing ledges it will eliminate the need for skill jumps.

I assume the response would be "The animation is triggered when a 'skill jump' would not be successful, but takes more time and leaves you vulnerable, thus rewarding successful jumps." Which makes sense on a competitive level to a degree, but it also changes the flow and pace of the game. I would rather fall down, missing the intended platform, keeping the gameplay more based upon calculated movements.

That said, this is a hypothetical response to a hypothetical response of alleged gameplay features from a less than verified leak seemingly verified leak.

Welfare

Ledge grabbing will make skill jumps pointless. Miss the skill jump? Don't worry, we'll give it to you. BS

Of course, if that's in the game.

Can't say I'm excited. This seems like another radical change to play catchup with what other shooters are doing. I'll wait to see gameplay before I jump to conclusions, but the leak doesn't sound like something I'd personally want for Halo.

Going to have to disagree a bit. Ever since I saw the Spartans in Halo Wars fight the Elites, I was convinced that that is how they should play. The Halo 4 opener with the Spartans fighting too was another good glimpse at their physical prowess.

Spartans were always written about as these elite, bad-ass soldiers who could defeat legions barehanded, yet they fight in the Halo games like normal soldiers with super armor. Walk, shoot, walk, shoot. The physical feats they're supposed to be capable of never really translated over into the games.

This sounds like getting back to core gameplay, with the physicality that I believe Spartans should have in gameplay. And as long as everybody spawns with the same abilities and it comes down to the skill of how you use it, I am perfectly fine with it.

Of course, this is just my analysis. We'll see for sure when we play.

Please do not do any Titanfall thruster pack movement bullshit. Please keep movement to feet movement like in previous Halo's.

What the fuck are you thinking 343i?

Goddamnit will someone hire me I'm sick of these people making shitty video games.

Its like they are trying to make features and additions to make bullet points to sell their shit, the game is going to sell anyway try focusing on just making a good game.

jem0208

Ledge grabbing will make skill jumps pointless. Miss the skill jump? Don't worry, we'll give it to you. BS

Of course, if that's in the game.

That's not true, there will still be a maximum height you can normally jump to. Skill jumps can still be created.

That's not true, there will still be a maximum height you can normally jump to. Skill jumps can still be created.

The problem about ledge grabbing is that it still needs to be a manually controlled event by the player. What if you are jumping to avoid a grenade but the ledge grab mechanic kicks in, climbs you up and you die as a result. This is all speculation and I'm open minded, but they would have to prove a lot with that.

Pretty sure I would quit Halo

It's definitely going to be interesting.

Basically the only thing that's going to measure the success of the game is how many people play it.

We can't measure it's success in terms of sales numbers, or whether it's going to have a active competitive scene or not, people go where the money is, even if it's a game that they don't completely enjoy.

Top Bottom