• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

You played really well. You were always there to stop me when I tried my sneaky attacks. I think BG CTF should be a thing for every Throwdown.

Thanks man. Glad to see my old HPC and OG H1 skillz are still there lol

Also just a recommendation for the next BG CTF, turn off touch return. It'll go by a lot quicker :D

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I wouldn't be sad to see the spartan abilities trimmed down to Thrusters + Clamber + Sprint.

The others just seem too situational right now and generally clutter up the control scheme / gameplay.

The gameplay though is really solid and satisfying.

DJ Gunner

You played really well. You were always there to stop me when I tried my sneaky attacks. I think BG CTF should be a thing for every Throwdown.

I know some folks weren't jazzed about the extended match length- but to me, that game was the essence of CE BTB. It couldn't have been more even. There were long lulls and coordinated pushes and some gradual (and not so gradual) changes in momentum and the whole thing was just beautiful- especially now that the shot registration works. I'm usually a 4v4 guy, but that was the most fun I have had playing BTB that I can remember.

nillapuddin

I wouldn't be sad to see the spartan abilities trimmed down to Thrusters + Clamber + Sprint.

The others just seem too situational right now and generally clutter up the control scheme / gameplay.

The gameplay though is really solid and satisfying.

This.
Mah granadier.

Granadier

This.
Mah granadier.

hFTyMcj.gif

Omni

I'm really enjoying the beta... but freaking hell my team mates are super frustrating. This morning I was near ONYX. Tonight I'm back at Gold 1. I haven't gone negative in regards to K/D at all and I'm hardly the best player out there. You can only carry people who go like 3 and 13 so far.

Remind me never to step foot into a ranked playlist in the future unless I'm with a full party. For my own sanity xD

CliQ

I know some folks weren't jazzed about the extended match length- but to me, that game was the essence of CE BTB. It couldn't have been more even. There were long lulls and coordinated pushes and some gradual (and not so gradual) changes in momentum and the whole thing was just beautiful- especially now that the shot registration works. I'm usually a 4v4 guy, but that was the most fun I have had playing BTB that I can remember.

I'm really glad you had a good time. Tonight's match was what I wanted the Throwdown to be all about. Long epic matches that tell a story everyone remembers. Just fun experiences throughout the whole game. I want to do this exact same thing next weekend. Until next week!

On a side note this is why I think a competitive 8v8 league should be a thing.

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
Halo 5 actually feels like a proper, modern take on Halo. It's early, but I'm really liking it so far.

DMR>BR

Playing alone, I actually find the spartan chatter really helpful. I'm caught off guard by how correct it can be.

and

I love that pop sound when you get a headshot.

I want to use stabalizers effectively, I can think of several scenarios in which they would be very usefull (avoiding grenade blasts, peaking over ledges, faking out enemies) but with the current state of bumper jumper it is nigh impossible.

They often get in the way when enabled by default.
If you set them to off by default, when you want to use them you are supposed to press (Right-Stick + A) at the same time.

Instead, I propose that bumper jumper control schemes should activate stabilizers by pressing the jump button again in the air while scoping.

+1 (・ω・)ノ

Granadier

Have you guys noticed that if you do a mid air thruster, then jump immediately as you land you can get a sort of "boost" jump with all your momentum?

CliQ

Just got done watching the sprint episodes. Very interesting but I wished they showed more of the meetings that took place.

The Midship remake conversation was very interesting and I wish I could sit in on something like that. I'll post more about the direction I think they should have taken tomorrow.

Overall the sprint is great for fans like me.

Akai__

Does anybody even use slide? Haven't seen in once. I feel like it's the most useless ability in any FPS games.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a thing, but I could swear I saw my grenade disappearing in geometry on Empire. Could it be lag?

belushy

Banned
Does anybody even use slide? Haven't seen in once. I feel like it's the most useless ability in any FPS games.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a thing, but I could swear I saw my grenade disappearing in geometry on Empire. Could it be lag?

I saw enable doing a slide/jump combo which is actually very useful in Advanced Warfare because I believe it makes you go faster. Not sure if it helps with movement in H5 though, he could just be doing it out of habit.

I saw enable doing a slide/jump combo which is actually very useful in Advanced Warfare because I believe it makes you go faster. Not sure if it helps with movement in H5 though, he could just be doing it out of habit.

It'll probably get used more as people start remembering it exists. I imagine it can make the difference in a BR duel and a slide causes your opponent to miss a headshot.

It's difficult to help a disorganized team when I can't do anything as an individual player. Just played against Walshy and I felt like I wasn't getting overpowered at all and pushed them back several times, but I can't make any sort of dent as an individual player against a team using motion tracker.

They just sprint away, thrust into cover, etc. and back up as their coordinated team reads my every move. I should never bother with surprises, chasing a kill to any extent or trying to punish a competent team with motion tracker on because it won't happen. The most effective strategy is to run away to my own safety and pop-shot.

Also, having your grenades explode right after you throw them because they can be blown up by enemy gunfire is not fun and I'm legitimately surprised it still exists.

//============

CLIP Time

That motion tracker is delicious against lesser-skilled players.
This is how you end the match! -- It would be awesome if someone wanted to GIF this with the victory taunt ;]
What the hell is this?

It's difficult to help a disorganized team when I can't do anything as an individual player. Just played against Walshy and I felt like I wasn't getting overpowered at all and pushed them back several times, but I can't make any sort of dent as an individual player against a team using motion tracker.

They just sprint away, thrust into cover, etc. and back up as their coordinated team reads my every move. I should never bother with surprises, chasing a kill to any extent or trying to punish a competent team with motion tracker on because it won't happen. The most effective strategy is to run away to my own safety and pop-shot.

Also, having your grenades explode right after you throw them because they can be blown up by enemy gunfire is not fun and I'm legitimately surprised it still exists.

//============

CLIP Time

That motion tracker is delicious against lesser-skilled players.
This is how you end the match! -- It would be awesome if someone wanted to GIF this with the victory taunt ;]
What the hell is this?

Yeah man that's the main problem with the beta right now. The motion tracker kills off any chance to be effective as an individual. On a larger scale it makes for a lot of back and forth boring stalemates between teams.

The wtf clip you got there is a common visual glitch I keep seeing in the kill cam where the ADS zooms out and back in for every shot.

Omni

I swear it's happened more times in the beta than it did in years of regular play. Haha

Did they increase grenade hitboxes? xD

Akai__

Yep, there's only been one Halo after all.

Wars.
Where the hell is that announcement?

Oh man, I remember when I was top 10 in 2vs2 with my buddy. So much fun.

It also has some of the best vehicle/unit designs. Sometimes I wished we could fight 10 Locusts with a Cobra in a FPS Halo campaign or just completely destroy Banshees, Vampires with a Sparrowhawk. 343i please...

jem0208

Something is wrong when the majority of teams that win, run around in packs like psychos spraying AR's and chucking grenades.

Starting to feel a little sour about this. I still love the feel of H5, but something is off.

The aim punch/flinch needs to go.

I blame radar as a major problem still
In my experience with the game, which admittedly is a lot less than yours, people who run around being crazy get completely donged on by a team who controls the map. Controlling the sniper spawns in Empire is fun. Especially the outside area.

Have you guys noticed that if you do a mid air thruster, then jump immediately as you land you can get a sort of "boost" jump with all your momentum?

I've noticed this, it's quite cool.

Random thoughts from my first impressions:

- Slide, hover and charge all feel pretty much useless... I hardly ever see them used. GP is actually quite fun IMO. It's kinda pointless but it is at least entertaining. Sliding and charging don't feel particularly fun to use whilst also being useless.

- The DMR is awesome, feels really satisfying to use. Actually, all the weapons feel great. They're all very useful as well. None of them are completely pointless which is nice.

- On the topic of AR/pistol starts... I actually quite like them in this. The seriously buffed AR is useful and actually feels pretty good. The addition of scoping makes it far more viable as a starting weapon as you can actually use it at mid range. The pistol also feels pretty good. It's not going to be winning many fights against a skilled BR user however I'm okay with that. You can still defend yourself with it at range. Although would be nice if they could up the red reticule range though.

- ADS on the whole I'm fine with. Precision weapons haven't changed at all and the reduced visual awareness actually seems to actually balance them at long range slightly. I do think the AR should have its spread increased when scoped though. It is a little too powerful at range.

- Movement is amazing. I love the thrusters and clamber is actually very good. It makes movement far more fluid. I also actually quite like sprint, although I never had a huge issue with it before, the shield thing does seem to address some of the issues people were having. I also must quite like sprinting around doing sprint jumps and stuff. It's quite fun.

- Maps are pretty good. I think I prefer Empire, lots of sneaky routes to take and loads of parkour opportunities. I love being able to skill jump basically across the entire map. Truth is also pretty good, however everyone saying it is too hazy are completely right. I don't think it takes advantage of the new movement set as well as Empire though.

Overall

I'm really loving it. It feels like Halo on crack then turned up to 11. It's very hectic and gunfights are far more dynamic than in previous games but I really like that. I've found the plodding gameplay of Halo to have grown a bit stale. It's very different yet I think it still retains a very Halo feel to it. Shooting a BR still had that very methodical action, even if your reticule I'd whipping around all over the place to hit the enemy.

343 have done really well.

Blueblur1

I want to use stabalizers effectively, I can think of several scenarios in which they would be very usefull (avoiding grenade blasts, peaking over ledges, faking out enemies) but with the current state of bumper jumper it is nigh impossible.

They often get in the way when enabled by default.
If you set them to off by default, when you want to use them you are supposed to press (Right-Stick + A) at the same time.

Instead, I propose that bumper jumper control schemes should activate stabilizers by pressing the jump button again in the air while scoping.

I play bumper jumper and I support this message.

Yeah bumper jumper feels kind of messy

On Friday's 343 stream, Josh said they're not happy with the controls yet. It's something to they intend to keep working on. I'm a bumper jumper guy as well and while I haven't played the beta I already prefer this idea.

jem0208

On Friday's 343 stream, Josh said they're not happy with the controls yet. It's something to they intend to keep working on. I'm a bumper jumper guy as well and while I haven't played the beta I already prefer this idea.
My biggest problem with 5 atm is the controls. They definitely need some work. Why not give us the ability to set the controls ourselves as well? It's so annoying that pretty much no console games do this. What are they losing out on by giving us the ability to choose the buttons...?

343i you have done Halo proud. When I have time I'll post something more in depth but the beta feels like what Reach and 4 wanted to do with the formula.

Now I feel like I'm a Spartan doing Spartan shit!

I'm so sorry for that last game btw.

I have no idea why I was playing so badly. Worst game I've had in this entire beta by far.

Knocked my KDA down to 6.9 from 8.2 as well :(

Scrub

Are the Spartan armor renders the final ones? The shiny "work in progress" ones looked way more bad ass.

Fucking A. Get this stupid shit out of Halo already.

This was me on a perfection and ultimately, the only death I had that match

http://youtu.be/QZCWfhhRQWQ

I want that out of Halo. It's really pervasive in H2:A as well. Adds nothing to the game and I know Tashi hates it with a passion from the Reach days, so he should just sneak in and change it when noone's looking.

Madness

Yeah I think ranks are messed in this and as disappointing as in the past. How I can get 17 of my teams 23 kills in a 50-23 loss, with the rest going 3, 3 and 0, and still have a performance decrease, I don't know.

How am I supposed to do any better offensive wise? I also can't do anything defensively against guys who secure power positions or push as a team with grenades and SMG much. It's only a beta and I get it, but you'd think they'd have figured out a way to take into account individual performance inside of a lopsided match, not just weight toward win/loss again.

JaggedSac

Yeah I think ranks are messed in this and as disappointing as in the past. How I can get 17 of my teams 23 kills in a 50-23 loss, with the rest going 3, 3 and 0, and still have a performance decrease, I don't know.

How am I supposed to do any better offensive wise? I also can't do anything defensively against guys who secure power positions or push as a team with grenades and SMG much. It's only a beta and I get it, but you'd think they'd have figured out a way to take into account individual performance inside of a lopsided match, not just weight toward win/loss again.

Were you fully ranked at this point? Hopefully blowouts like that become less common once ranking settles down.

Overdoziz

Banned

You shouldn't get a performance increase for losing. Get a good team.

I'm so sorry for that last game btw.

I have no idea why I was playing so badly. Worst game I've had in this entire beta by far.

Knocked my KDA down to 6.9 from 8.2 as well :(

It's cool mate, way to own it. We all have terrible games. I still feel out of sync with the controls anyhow.
Edit: cool we still playin together, sorry no mic, it's almost 1am here and my kids are sleeping.

Dat feel when the good team you matched up with the previous match gets split up and you have to mute two of your new teammates before the game even starts.

Madness

Were you fully ranked at this point? Hopefully blowouts like that become less common once ranking settles down.

Yup, I mean I'm not saying I'm a pro, but come on.

You shouldn't get a performance increase for losing. Get a good team.

Matchmaking. It'd be stupid if everything was still win/loss, there are so many factors that should be taken into account. Kills, deaths, assists, accuracy and headshots, placement relative to the rest of the team. How is it an individual rank in a sense then, if all it really counted was whether you won or lost.

tootsi666

Ranking system needs tweaking.
I won 5 games in a row, gaining ~15 points per win. Some games were close, some were easy wins. I rise to Onyx II. Then I lose one very close game 48-50. -83 points. Back to Onyx I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom