• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

It's cool mate, way to own it. We all have terrible games. I still feel out of sync with the controls anyhow.
Haha, it's all good now. The last few games have gone a lot better.

Edit: yeah, it was cool to play with someone. I saw your name and was just like... I recognise that... :p

Got to go now though, people want to use Netflix :/

Funny. All this talk about grenade explosions out of your hand and I launch up a game on empire. Shields pop from a random grenade and I hide for 15 seconds without moving and my shields still don't recharge lol

Next time I spawn and throw a grenade and it blows up in my face and kills me.

GafKarma

Overdoziz

Banned
Yup, I mean I'm not saying I'm a pro, but come on.

Matchmaking. It'd be stupid if everything was still win/loss, there are so many factors that should be taken into account. Kills, deaths, assists, accuracy and headshots, placement relative to the rest of the team. How is it an individual rank in a sense then, if all it really counted was whether you won or lost.
Maybe your rank should decrease less if you do well in a lost match, but asking for it to increase is just babbytalk.

On Friday's 343 stream, Josh said they're not happy with the controls yet. It's something to they intend to keep working on. I'm a bumper jumper guy as well and while I haven't played the beta I already prefer this idea.

Oh ok that's good to hear! Do you happen to have a link to that stream?

Madness

Maybe your rank should decrease less if you do well in a lost match, but asking for it to increase is just babbytalk.

I don't know, I thought ranks would be different with this CSR that supposedly took individual skill into account as opposed to just team win/loss. I just think it's not really great if you're the best player in the match, yet on a losing team you lose progression, and yet the worst player on the winning team gets backpacked to higher ranks. It's whatever though. I'm stuck with such poor teammates in these lopsided matches. Don't think I'll rank up for a while now. Just a beta after all.

dwells

Semantics. There is no penalty. But there is a boost to accuracy when scoped on auto weapons.
Are you serious? You could use the same logic if it only fired one round a minute hip fired or something absurd like that.

The gun performs worse without ADS. That's a penalty.

tootsi666

Aim punch is the worst. It's there to nerf good players (not me) and to buff automatics. Pistol should also be 4-shot with increased red reticle range and lowered rof. It's currently too spammable.

The whole talk about "no hip fire penalty" I think was regarding the context of slowing your movement speed or not. Either way, his statement wasn't the most accurate.

Haruko

From what I can tell on streams, the only real difference with ADS/Smart Scope compared to previous titles is the AR having one, and the benefit that provides. The SMG performs similarly to previous scoped SMGs (ODST/H2A). And the precision weapons all appear to perform like their old counterparts in terms of spread when scoped.

If the AR change makes it not garbage, I think I'm OK with that

From what I can tell on streams, the only real difference with ADS/Smart Scope compared to previous titles is the AR having one, and the benefit that provides. The SMG performs similarly to previous scoped SMGs (ODST/H2A). And the precision weapons all appear to perform like their old counterparts in terms of spread when scoped.

If the AR change makes it not garbage, I think I'm OK with that

I'm okay with the SMG and AR. it doesn't seem to be too unbalanced.

However, I think the pistol needs a buff at range.

Ground pound is a bit OP. Starting to dominate a bit with it.

I'm curious what rank the of players you are facing are.

I have been ground pounded once out of the 11 hours I have played. It's very easy to punish a player for trying it.

At semi pro level you rarely see someone try it.

Madness

Oh yeah don't say? Lol

Wait till this game is in the hands of the MCC community on the 29th. You're going to definitely feel different about a lot of things. Even guys like Ogre2 are saying it's very much like Reach and Halo 4 and going back and playing MCC.

Sprint nerf has done little to nothing combating the cat and mouse gameplay. Shields down? Sprint and thrust away and then hide for 2-3 seconds to have white bar cool down and then sprint on as normal. Game is very much who sees who first, with few defensive options beyond thrust to get away from things like ground/pound. What's that? You turned the corner and some guy is sprinting, well he can Spartan charge you into an insta-kill before you can even get a shot off.

m23

Wait till this game is in the hands of the MCC community on the 29th. You're going to definitely feel different about a lot of things. Even guys like Ogre2 are saying it's very much like Reach and Halo 4 and going back and playing MCC.

Sprint nerf has done little to nothing combating the cat and mouse gameplay. Shields down? Sprint and thrust away and then hide for 2-3 seconds to have white bar cool down and then sprint on as normal. Game is very much who sees who first, with few defensive options beyond thrust to get away from things like ground/pound. What's that? You turned the corner and some guy is sprinting, well he can Spartan charge you into an insta-kill before you can even get a shot off.

Charge is only instant kill from behind.

Are two human automatic weapons and three human precision weapons really necessary? Weapons should have well defined niches, not where every weapon bleeds into every other niche.

These abilities are awesome. Admitting I have not yet to play it myself until I own my xbone but it's pretty easy to mentally picture the outcomes like a chess game, which Halo is, imho. And GP, including other abilities must be altered and nerfed to get the true "perfect balance" which most who claim on streams and youtube channels do not know wth they are talking about right now being perfect balance. Hopefully 343 really listens and corrects every little thing to perfect their formula. And bring ghandi hopping back, add toggle features, and create a classic playlist sometime after launch asap. Halo 4's Legendary Playlist did not do it justice.

I know I'm late on this, but re: the H2AMP Suppressed SMG having a tighter spread zoomed in, someone should see if the same thing happened with the ODST Suppressed SMG. I'm pretty sure the "ADS Effect" with the H2AMP version is a 343 innovation and shouldn't really be considered "added the way Bungie intended."

Well. Here comes the angry tirade of bad players or those inexperienced with the beta making gross exaggerations and spreading angry unfounded opinions while referring to a raging immature Halo pro.

Go join him and play CE, cuz that's the proper response to a beta for a game that isn't trying to be CE.

-Ryn

Banned
Are you serious? You could use the same logic if it only fired one round a minute hip fired or something absurd like that.

The gun performs worse without ADS. That's a penalty.
I can't shoot at longer ranges accurately without scoping the BR/DMR/Pistol/Sniper/Rifle.

The gun performs worse without ADS (or classic scope).

How is this any different?

I feel like, if 343 was at a fountain soda machine, they would be like "All these flavors taste good on their own. Let's mix them all into one cup."
Hey... don't mock the magic of soda mixing.
It's like science for your taste buds..

Tawpgun

I just want to highlight this for being the first legitimately smart and good use of ground pound I've seen yet. Ground pound redeemed.

Ground pound is kinda silly in most cases since you give up the high ground for a risky play. Most times a grenade and or a few shots on someone is by far the best bet. Ground pound in h5 seems like a "hey this is really dumb to do but if I pull it off it will look so cool"

A classic "wouldn't it be cool if..." Game mechanic.

But that ground pound was legit

I just want to highlight this for being the first legitimately smart and good use of ground pound I've seen yet. Ground pound redeemed.

Ground pound is kinda silly in most cases since you give up the high ground for a risky play. Most times a grenade and or a few shots on someone is by far the best bet. Ground pound in h5 seems like a "hey this is really dumb to do but if I pull it off it will look so cool"

A classic "wouldn't it be cool if..." Game mechanic.

But that ground pound was legit

"You saved OBESE GOOFY"

Someone should try grenade jumping only to groundpound someone going in for a backsmack. Could be a good new ninja tactic.

jem0208

I'm curious what rank the of players you are facing are.

I have been ground pounded once out of the 11 hours I have played. It's very easy to punish a player for trying it.

At semi pro level you rarely see someone try it.

It's a pretty big mixture. I'm only in gold 2 but one been playing against onyx and gold etc.

I've come up with a few tricks to use it. It's really quite good on Empire due to all the little elevation changes.

www.xboxclips.com/Il+MeanBean+lI/32246cec-3327-49cb-98f7-5f623a0f3a3c

Here's a little clip. Done this a couple of times. It's also pretty good when you are on top mid and someone is running across the pit. Pretty easy to charge and track them from up there then quickly get back up.

It's a pretty big mixture. I'm only in gold 2 but one been playing against onyx and gold etc.

I've come up with a few tricks to use it. It's really quite good on Empire due to all the little elevation changes.

www.xboxclips.com/Il+MeanBean+lI/32246cec-3327-49cb-98f7-5f623a0f3a3c

Here's a little clip. Done this a couple of times. It's also pretty good when you are on top mid and someone is running across the pit. Pretty easy to charge and track them from up there then quickly get back up.

Oh wow nice clip. Pretty sure you shouldn't be able to do that so fast at such small height.

Madness

Well. Here comes the angry tirade of bad players or those inexperienced with the beta making gross exaggerations and spreading angry unfounded opinions while referring to a raging immature Halo pro.

Go join him and play CE, cuz that's the proper response to a beta for a game that isn't trying to be CE.

Lol? Raging and immature Halo pro? He just won the Iron Games tournament with his team CLG and is sitting in first place in HCS. Plus, he never raged at anything, just said it was very much like Reach and Halo 4 and went back to MCC. It's telling that perhaps the greatest Halo player of all time, doesn't really enjoy the beta, nothing to be so defensive about

The addition of the "perfect kill" medal is damn great. It is always satisfying to achieve it and I never thought that I would say that. I would even put "Reverse" on that list...

There are still too many medals, though. What the fuck does Hat trick do?

Why don't weapons have more unique properties? Plasma stun, Concussion knock back, remotely detonatable Grenade Launcher. Weapons seem pretty generic for a futuristic game like Halo.

link1201

The addition of the "perfect kill" medal is damn great. It is always satisfying to achieve it and I never thought that I would say that. I would even put "Reverse" on that list...

Yeah I really like the perfect medal, top gun is fun too. I was looking for a list of medals I have yet to find one though.

So, just thought of something. For Stabilizers, why not set it up so that pressing Jump button makes you jump, but holding it makes you Stabilize? If Destiny can have a press / hold Y distinction for standard weapons and heavy weapons, I'd think the controls could be precise enough to establish a jump / stabilize differential.

It'd also allow you to activate Stabilizers on the ground or at any elevation even after a jump without having to take your hands off triggers / analog sticks depending on your control scheme.

RSB

Banned
Why don't weapons have more unique properties? Plasma stun, Concussion knock back, remotely detonatable Grenade Launcher. Weapons seem pretty generic for a futuristic game like Halo.
Oh yeah, the grenade launcher from Reach was so good. Making more unique weapons like that would be a great way to evolve and expand Halo's gameplay. Why don't they try that kind of thing more?

So, just thought of something. For Stabilizers, why not set it up so that pressing Jump button makes you jump, but holding it makes you Stabilize? If Destiny can have a press / hold Y distinction for standard weapons and heavy weapons, I'd think the controls could be precise enough to establish a jump / stabilize differential.

It'd also allow you to activate Stabilizers on the ground or at any elevation even after a jump without having to take your hands off triggers / analog sticks depending on your control scheme.

Holding A is used to clamber so you could potentionally clamber when you don't mean too with your system. It's the same problem crouch jump and ground pound are currently having. An Xbox controller only has so many buttons that can accommodate a limited number of mechanics.

Karl2177

I love the simplicity of H5 compared to the shit show that was 4.

Still don't think it feels like Halo, but who cares, it's fun.
I don't think it is simpler than Halo 4, but less random.

You shouldn't get a performance increase for losing. Get a good team.
Anecdote time: I lost a game 49-50, and I went 20-10. I lost 25 points in my ranking thing. Next game my team won 50-24 and I went 22-3, but only went up 13 points. To me there's something wonky.

Looking at how the system works, I assume it is something like MMR in Starcraft, where it takes your skill level and your opponent's skill level into consideration. The only way I see my results happening is if in the first game, my opponents were Bronze 3, I was Silver 2, and my teammates were Bronze 1. The game says these are balanced numbers(not necessarily fair), and I was penalized greatly for losing to players that I shouldn't have(but I personally performed as I should -- >1 K/D). This would be a problem with matching players. The second game, the system said "match Karl against Bronze 2 players to gauge skill". I win handily, as I should in Silver 2 and it didn't reward me nearly as much, because it isn't as important of a win. This is also a fault with matching players.

jem0208

Hat trick is quench you get three head shot kills in a row I think...

Holding A is used to clamber so you could potentionally clamber when you don't mean too with your system. It's the same problem crouch jump and ground pound are currently having. An Xbox controller only has so many buttons that can accommodate a limited number of mechanics.

Oh, hold-jump is already clamber? Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom