• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

VinFTW

Vapor please stop lol

You talk about true halo but I can guarantee it's different for everybody AND every true and succesful halo has had a precision rifle to start. Other starts were changed. I want to say more but I'm in class.

Booshka

Oh hey, new thread, been away for a bit. Gotta catch up on my Beta streams and HaloGAF salt/slrp.

Teleport is Love, Teleport is Life, imo.

Glad you guys are enjoying some fun movement in Halo finally.

I wish we had a confirmation on this guys source. It would make a lot of sense.

No source needed. Its just an SDK pull and putting items together.

Seems to fit with what Frankie and team have been alluding to. And more than likely H5 is using the same system which is why it is having similar issues. The 2015 Multiplayer system is coming no matter what, so likely one of the reasons the H5 Beta was planned was to be the first go at this new system. More than likely during development, Halo: MCC shifted from 2014 to 2015 Multiplayer, but that was a mistake.

As a follow up, additional information and conjecture added to the original post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2rl1qa/sdk_leak_and_thoughts_around_mcc_issues/

Based on the November SDK leak, MS is re-doing the entire multiplayer system, specifically the party structure. They are calling the new system 2015 Multiplayer.
Per MS, the new system would work as follows:
Summary of the 2014 Multiplayer Design The 2014 Multiplayer design is based on the concept of the game party, exposed to titles using the Microsoft.Xbox.Services.Multiplayer Namespace in the XDK. The game party is an Xbox One system-level construct that titles use to manage a group of people who are playing together within a title. All joins and invitations are currently to the game party, and matchmaking is driven by game party membership.
In 2014 Multiplayer, the title places game party members into multiplayer session directory (MPSD) sessions to manage connectivity and report multiplayer interactions. The interaction with MPSD sessions by the title uses the Xbox Services API (XSAPI) and/or the Xbox Live Services RESTful API.
2015 Multiplayer Design The most obvious change implemented in the 2015 Multiplayer is that titles no longer need to access multiplayer functionality through game parties. Instead, they can now perform all multiplayer-related operations directly, using MPSD sessions. The following diagrams illustrate this change.
The XSAPI has been updated to enable titles to: Advertise a user’s current activity and availability for joins.
Send invites to sessions, along with user-visible (title-specified) context strings.
Discover and join sessions.
Maintain web socket connections to the MPSD so that they can receive shoulder taps on session changes, and so that the MPSD can rapidly detect and act upon client disconnection.
Use Smart Match matchmaking.
Use service-to-service calls to access new MPSD functionality."

The 2015 Multiplayer system has been in preview form for a period of time and I believe Halo: MCC was the very first game to try it out and it failed miserably. The issue is on the MS backend. They thought it was working fine but all the handshakes don't work. This is why 343 has been unable to fix the problem. They didn't really create the issue, they used the system they were given and they don't want to go back now because in the end it will be better.
I also believe this is why 343 included a p2p backup plan, if the new matchmaking failed to connect to dedicated then you would revert to p2p.
Thoughts?
UPDATE 1
Sorry I went off the grid for a little. Source is the SDK documentation. I have a whole bunch of other stuff that I could try and theorize about it, but everything seems to make sense. The ELI5 down below hits it on the head. For anyone looking to dig in on it more, download the SDK and open the documentation. Go to Xbox One Services and then into the multiplayer. There are a number of diagrams and etc that detail the changes.
Frankie said that the issues are all related and everyone is at fault. I think the issue was that the API they were using worked in the test environment, but when it was dropped into the actual XBL service the new MM setup failed. This is why 343 is having trouble fixing the issue. Its partially them and partially an issue with the new matchmaking setup.
Frankie promised a post-mortem when this was fixed and I have a feeling this is the case. The issues make way too much sense. Wouldn't be surprised to see the new party setup addressed in the W10 conference this month.
Other games don't have these issues and the reason is that they used the 2014 Multiplayer setup which had been tweaked and fixed. 343 knows what they are doing but they were working on the premise that the 2015 worked flawlessly which is obviously not true. The biggest changes in the new setup are related to parties and how MM is handled, and those are the biggest issues with H:MCC right now.
343 is doing everything they can but they are limited by how fast MS can fix it.

A little more copy paste:

The multiplayer in Xbox One enables the assembling of game players into groups. The system is secure, easy to use, and flexible, allowing you not only to build simple features quickly, but also to build more complex features and plug in your own services.
At the core of the multiplayer system is the multiplayer session. The session is a secure document that resides in the Xbox Live cloud, and represents a group of users who are connected while playing a title on Xbox One. All the aspects of multiplayer—such as matchmaking, chat parties, join in-progress, and so on—leverage the multiplayer session.
Two versions of the multiplayer are available for Xbox One:
2014 Multiplayer. This version is based on the concept of the "game party" and participation in games through parties. This version will be deprecated in later releases.
2015 Multiplayer (previously 2015 Multiplayer Preview). This multiplayer version abstracts the game party concept and uses the multiplayer session directory (MPSD) to control game sessions.
There are a bunch more details available but they aren't worth posting.

Tawpgun

Those were horrible maps.

All they came down to was pure setup/map control with BRs. Not a single thing to fight for on the map other than pure random positioning based on each respawn.

Seems like many of you have completely lost what Halo used to be.

You guys really think Halo 5 in its current state is true Halo?

Lol what is the baseline for true Halo?

Halo CE?

The Novermber SDK added the ability to more directly access various multiplayer functions through MPSD sessions, as opposed to being forced to work through the game party abstraction layer. From what I gather, it's a bit closer to the model used on the Xbox 360, which developers were more fond of.

Given that this functionality wasn't fully exposed to developers until Novermber (shell support in November, API support in October and September), I'm not so sure about it being the cause of Master Chief Collection's problems. While it's clear the game was way behind in development, it went "gold" (more like Iron Tier, am I right?) in the middle of October.

You have to figure matchmaking was implemented for the game to go gold, and I doubt they would've migrated their setup over to a partially exposed new platform over the course of a month. If they had, one would suspect that they had a working 2014 matchmaking model implementation that they could have temporarily reverted to while they work to resolve issues.

Given the vast number of other issues with the game which go way beyond the scope of matchmaking, it seems more likely that the game was just rushed and sloppily put together and tested. Even if matchmaking worked flawlessly, there's still plenty of other major, major issues.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is to that the theories on MCC's issues being attributable to the new multiplayer model in the SDK are all strictly conjecture and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Obviously all taken with a grain of salt, but H5 MM isn't exactly working perfectly either. The interesting thing is that couldn't the game have gone gold with the 2015 setup? They knew what they needed to code to, its just making sure that what they coded would line up with the rollout of services on MS' side?

Multiplayer Improvements
The November Recovery adds Shell support for Multiplayer 2015 game invite, game roster, and join ability mechanics (note the API support for these shipped in the September and October XDKs). Multiplayer services have been updated to include Server-to-server shoulder tap support for session changes, Matchmaking Rules customization improvements, and MPSD now has improved integration with Thunderhead. For more information, see 2015 Multiplayer.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Lol what is the baseline for true Halo?

Halo CE?

Well it's not blank maps missing powerups and power weapons.

I cant be in the minority when I say that Halo 5 is boring as snails to sprint around slaying people waiting for the announcer to call out when snipers are gonna drop...

That's fun?

Where is the arena in this game? Why shouldn't Halo 5 have item control?

Every map in Halo 5 should have camo, overshield, rockets, snipes, shotguns, and any other power weapons that make sense.

EDIT: Also, please don't flame me simply because I don't share majority opinion on Halo 5. I know you guys are more mature than that.

tootsi666

I cant be in the minority when I say that Halo 5 is boring as snails to sprint around slaying people waiting for the announcer to call out when snipers are gonna drop...

That's fun?

Every map in Halo 5 should have camo, overshield, rockets, snipes, shotguns, and any other power weapons that make sense.
I'm not sure if Halo 5 needs more power weapons but power weapons need to spawn more frequently. No point controlling spawns currently.

VinFTW

Like I said, please stop vapor. It's okay to have an opinion but you're not looking at the big picture. It's a working beta, things will be added and adjusted.

They've already stated powerups are in the final game. None of the power weapons are final, not even the placement on maps.

If you're bad at the game just say it. Go enjoy the heavy aim assist on 2/2a or the ridiculously easy MCC ce.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Like I said, please stop vapor. It's okay to have an opinion but you're not looking at the big picture. It's a working beta, things will be added and adjusted.

They've already stated powerups are in the final game. None of the power weapons are final, not even the placement on maps.

If you're bad at the game just say it. Go enjoy the heavy aim assist on 2/2a or the ridiculously easy MCC ce.

Do you want to 1v1 me or see my historical record of Halo stats starting with Halo 2 through Halo 5 today?

My gosh dude...seriously?

As for powerups being in the final game, and none of the power weapons are final, not even the placement...too little too late once the game ships...it'd be nice if we could actually give feedback on those things specifically.

jem0208

Do you want to 1v1 me or see my historical record of Halo stats starting with Halo 2 through Halo 5 today?

My gosh dude...seriously?

As for powerups being in the final game, and none of the power weapons are final, not even the placement...too little too late once the game ships...it'd be nice if we could actually give feedback on those things specifically.

1v1 me bro, I reck u lk.

Tawpgun

That's fun?

EDIT: Also, please don't flame me simply because I don't share majority opinion on Halo 5. I know you guys are more mature than that.

I agree they need better weapons and power ups. Halo 3 and Reach did this well. I used to time those weapons/power ups all the time.

The hydra is sometimes not worth picking up. The prophets bane is really only good for bad teams. Sniper is alright though. The game needs some power ups for sure.

But its still a hell of a lot of fun. The game feels fluid, shooting feels the best its been since Halo 3 due to the lack of aim assist. and its better than Halo 2 due to hitscan. All the abilities are awesome.

Akai__

All they came down to was pure setup/map control with BRs. Not a single thing to fight for on the map other than pure random positioning based on each respawn.

Well, that's your opinion. I thought those were really good maps, because the Mauler was a "Power Weapon" on those maps and it came down to team skill/communication and like you said good positioning and map control.

I said it several times, but I'll rather play Halo 3
or other Halo games in the MCC (except Halo 4),
than anything from 343i. This franchise is not about Halo anymore, it's about getting a new fanbase and making it a modern FPS game, by following other games mechanics. Sucks, that it's my favourite FPS franchise and that I'm still interesed in the Campaign. It also sucks, that people are showing huge interest in Halo 5 and pre-order a 250US$ mystery package, but there's nothing we can do about it. I'm tired of complaining about future Halo games, so I'll stick arround with good ones, if they finally work.

VinFTW

Oh the classic 1v1...

As if most halos weren't changes for the better post release. It's the norm to have patches to balance and fix issues.

Write off the game then man. I'm sure nobody here will care if you don't like it. Just don't trash it for the wrong reasons. Precision weapon starts have been in forever. Power ups are in. Etc etc

VinFTW

Visc you get too frustrated, just do what I do, don't play unless you're with a party it makes it far more fun/interesting and mitigates a lot of the frustration.

Plenty of us here who'd go to battle with ya.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I've said it before, but I think it overestimated my H5 skills. Last night I went 3/14 (k/d) and the rest of the day wasn't much better.

v I have only played in parties.

Visc you get too frustrated, just do what I do, don't play unless you're with a party it makes it far more fun/interesting and mitigates a lot of the frustration.

Plenty of us here who'd go to battle with ya.

Welp, we need to party up later.

jelly

I've been thinking, what if 343 actually made a new Halo IP that was more in line with COD and Battlefield and left Spartan Halo completely alone. Focused on ODSTs and Marines so you could have sprint, ADS, drops, quick kill times etc. In hindsight, leaving Master Chief to drift in space while they tried what they really wanted to do and then some without butchering the classic formula. I've always wanted Halo : Battlefield only with less unlocks, XP and actually works. That option was right there but then we got jock spartans, god awful new enemies, a terrible story etc. A mainline Halo game sells more but I think that ship is leaving port. Time to expand into new Halo IP that doesn't make the main series buckle under bad decisions and allows a clean break for 343 to do anything and let the game live or die, not hanging on the mainline Master Chief series success. I know that won't please people who want the classic game right now and next but 343 need to do something like that instead of their current strategy. Don't cross the streams.

dwells

I've been thinking, what if 343 actually made a new Halo IP

Ever since I read Fall of Reach, I wanted that book as a game outside the normal Halo formula. Something a lot more like Rainbow Six - tactical and squad based where you die really easily if you screw up. Something that really recreates the intensity in that book. Spartans are strong, but a single Elite is still very much a threat that will quickly punish a Spartan who makes a mistake, and even on Legendary you never get that sensation in the normal Halo games.

Make the first portion of the game Spartan on human combat with the Spartans fulfilling their originally intended roles as space SEALS, then suddenly unveil the Covenant and transition to that for the second portion. Stick to the intensity of the books throughout with human soldiers being taken down by single needler shots, combat medics using biofoam, the feelings of hopelessness and panic as the UNSC faces a hostile alien force for the first time, etc.

They could even have a level or two in the beginning or as a flashback of the simulation training games the Spartans played as children to show the history of the Spartans and the Chief. Something which is hugely important in the expanded lore but not explored at all in the games for some reason (maybe it's buried in a terminal, who knows).

Done right, it could be amazing. Unfortunately, I think Halo: Reach killed any chance of it ever happening.

Tawpgun

I've been thinking, what if 343 actually made a new Halo IP that was more in line with COD and Battlefield and left Spartan Halo completely alone. Focused on ODSTs and Marines so you could have sprint, ADS, drops, quick kill times etc. In hindsight, leaving Master Chief to drift in space while they tried what they really wanted to do and then some without butchering the classic formula. I've always wanted Halo : Battlefield only with less unlocks, XP and actually works. That option was right there but then we got jock spartans, god awful new enemies, a terrible story etc. A mainline Halo game sells more but I think that ship is leaving port. Time to expand into new Halo IP that doesn't make the main series buckle under bad decisions and allows a clean break for 343 to do anything and let the game live or die, not hanging on the mainline Master Chief series success. I know that won't please people who want the classic game right now and next but 343 need to do something like that instead of their current strategy. Don't cross the streams.

I remember being disappointing Halo Reach was just like Halo 3 + bad changes.

I was kinda hoping they'd go another direction at that point, but keep making Halo 4, 5 etc about MC and make it classic Halo

Ramirez

I think CE in the MCC is the worst Halo there is, so what's true to you, is not true to me.

Caja 117

No source needed. Its just an SDK pull and putting items together.

Seems to fit with what Frankie and team have been alluding to. And more than likely H5 is using the same system which is why it is having similar issues. The 2015 Multiplayer system is coming no matter what, so likely one of the reasons the H5 Beta was planned was to be the first go at this new system. More than likely during development, Halo: MCC shifted from 2014 to 2015 Multiplayer, but that was a mistake.

As a follow up, additional information and conjecture added to the original post.

So Basically MCC was a beta test for MP2015? is weird that MS will just have a new MM system on the wild without a real test.

So Basically MCC was a beta test for MP2015? is weird that MS will just have a new MM system on the wild without a real test.

I don't think that was the original plan. H5 beta was likely supposed to be the first which is one of the reasons it was planned from the beginning. It would make no sense for 343 to develop H5's matchmaking on the 2014 system when the roadmap already said that it would be outdated by next fall.

There was likely high confidence in the system and MCC was converted from 2014 to 2015 which was a huge mistake because it wasn't labeled beta. Whatever internal measures they used to test the system were way off which Frankie has stated.

MS provides steps for all developers to convert their games from 2014 multiplayer to 2015 and they will likely require most games to be patched to the next matchmaking as 2014 is phased out.

so, I know i'm a little late to the discussion, but H5G is the only Halo title I've been consistently good at / enjoy playing and making my way up the ranks since CE. There was just way too much shit to keep track of in 4 and to a lesser degree Reach.

Madness

I just wish they could give us classic zoom as a toggle. ADS plays like shit in Recon and more often than not, I'm only hip firing. If CoD kids needed ADS, let them have it, and let those who want classic zoom have what they want/are accustomed to.

Ramirez

I just wish they could give us classic zoom as a toggle. ADS plays like shit in Recon and more often than not, I'm only hip firing. If CoD kids needed ADS, let them have it, and let those who want classic zoom have what they want/are accustomed to.

It literally plays like every Halo before it, lol. Zooming in with the right stick has never felt as fluid as using a trigger in other games, but I refuse to give up grenades on left trigger.

Madness

It literally plays like every Halo before it, lol. Zooming in with the right stick has never felt as fluid as using a trigger in other games, but I refuse to give up grenades on left trigger.

It really doesn't. Yeah the controls are the same but the mechanics aren't. Halo 5 wasn't really designed with Recon in mind. I tried default again two days ago, and even though I'd switched to Recon this time, default just felt more fluid and natural with how the game is (grenades aside).

Also, I don't know how anyone can say this ADS is the same as classic zoom. It's so weird for me visually to have this giant ass scope with DMR, to have the horned iron sights on bottom of screen with BR, to have that graphical pop up with AR. Yeah functionally you can say, ADS and Classic Zoom allow you to see greater distance over hip firing. But I don't know. What difference would it make to people who want ADS, if I can use the classic zoom? When has more options ever hurt anyone, especially in this regard?

Ramirez

If you disagree, explain. Your post adds nothing to the discussion.

If it wasn't designed with Recon in mind, then why am I doing perfectly fine with it, Madness? You act like Recon is a handicap, it isn't. Add in classic zoom, and I pretty much guarantee nothing would change for you guys that seem to think it's the cure to all your problems.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think CE in the MCC is the worst Halo there is, so what's true to you, is not true to me.

So then define what you think is core Halo gameplay.

Also, I think it happened, people have conformed. Didn't think it would but damn, it happened.

Haruko

it AUTOMATICALLY re-scopes after a descope when you hold left trigger? i never even tried the default controls, but that is massive bullshit. why wouldnt they make you release and repress to mimic the right stick better!?

this probably explains how others are so dominant with the autos and they are only OK when i use them. i'm predominantly unscoped in a battle for the reasons you mention and they must be going in and out of scpe and getting a bigger advantage with the bullet spread because of it. again, super lame and no reason for it to behave this way.

I honestly think I'd be content with the Smart Down Sights as we have them, if they changed the "Left Trigger = Smart Scope" to require release/re-press upon descope.

Some of the killcams showing the current automatic re-scope speed look ridiculous. If that's actually how it's appearing/behaving for the user, that does seem like a big advantage with the automatic weapons.

Ramirez

So then define what you think is core Halo gameplay.

Also, I think it happened, people have conformed. Didn't think it would but damn, it happened.

Halo is power weapons, 4v4 team play, good precision weapons, and controlling a map.

Conformed to what, exactly? I don't regard Halo 2 as the second coming of MP, 3 is my favorite, and I think Reach & 4 were trash.

I'm realistic in knowing that a AAA dev company cannot release a barebones shooter on a console, like some of your CE purists want. I don't want that, and casuals sure as fuck don't want that. This beta adds enough new wrinkles to the base underlying Halo formula, and it works without completely changing what Halo once was, like Reach & 4 did. Is it perfect? No. It never will be, but I'm honestly puzzled as to what some of you are expecting out of a modern Halo game if you aren't some what happy with what they've given us in this beta.

Playing on Halo 4 is perfect imo.

Game needs custom mapping or a lot more control options

If you just had one less ability I feel like it'd be the perfect number of buttons. Just can Sprint (lol) and do something to the effect of:

Back | Scoreboard
Start | Start Menu
LT | Throw Grenade
RT | Fire Weapon
LB | Jump; Clamber, hold while airborne
RB | Melee Attack
LS | Move; click to Crouch
RS | Aim; click to Scope
DPad Left, Right | Switch Grenades
Y | Switch Weapon
B | Action
X | Stabilizers (toggle, not a hold)
A | Thrusters

To Ground Pound all you would do is hit Melee once while Stabilizing to bring up the crosshairs, and then press it again once you confirm your target. You could press X and RB concurrently to initiate it, as well.

DJ Gunner

I see Halo is different things to different people. Who knew?!

That goes without saying, but as far as "true Halo" goes I would submit this.

For nine years, Halo existed without sprint, without abilities. Maps that focused on weapon/powerup control and were simplistic yet brilliant in design (perhaps less so in 3 than 1 and 2, but always an interesting debate). For the competitive crowd, a utility weapon ever present.

There are some significant differences in each iteration from CE-3, but the above holds true for all of them. It's what I and I would guess many others think of right off when asked about "true Halo".

Reach fucked with that formula. 4 nearly completely abandoned that formula, and 5 seems largely headed in the same direction.

I don't fault anyone for enjoying what they are playing of H5, but as someone who loves the Halo formula of the first nine years of it's life, I want no part of it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Halo is power weapons, 4v4 team play, good precision weapons, and controlling a map.

Conformed to what, exactly? I don't regard Halo 2 as the second coming of MP, 3 is my favorite, and I think Reach & 4 were trash.

I'm realistic in knowing that a AAA dev company cannot release a barebones shooter on a console, like some of your CE purists want. I don't want that, and casuals sure as fuck don't want that. This beta adds enough new wrinkles to the base underlying Halo formula, and it works without completely changing what Halo once was, like Reach & 4 did. Is it perfect? No. It never will be, but I'm honestly puzzled as to what some of you are expecting out of a modern Halo game if you aren't some what happy with what they've given us in this beta.

You're missing what Halo is at its core. Halo has ALWAYS been about:
1. Timing power weapons, and it's better if they're on static timers
2. Timing powerups, again, better if on static timers
3. Controlling the map

There hasn't been a proper utility weapon since Halo CE and I see that they have a much better weapon balance in Halo 5, but you're missing my point when I say Halo 5 is missing the very heart of what Halo is.

343 can keep Halo 5 the way it is gameplay-wise in regards to mechanics, etc.

What they could easily implement is:
1. Floating weapons on the map with brightskins, e.g., like Quake, so they're easy to identify on the battlefield
2. Static timed power weapons
3. Static timed powerups, and put at least two of them on each map (depending on the size of the map)
4. Place counter power weapons on each map, e.g., rockets/snipes, sword/shotty, etc.

There is simply not enough going on in Halo 5 right now. If 343 are saying they didn't include powerups and more power weapons intentionally...then fine, but show me what the final is actually going to look like.

If Empire in the Beta had a rocket and snipe that dropped on a static timer, as well as an OS and camo nearby each power weapon...then we could realistically see how Halo 5 truly is.

If this is suppose to be a beta to give feedback on the core of the game...having features and items absent from the beta negates the entire purpose to begin with.

Game is boring as hell right now. Nothing to control on the maps. It's just sprinting around slaying...with precision weapons...that's boring and it's not Halo. If all we wanna do it have a Halo game to test who's got better aim and better setups...well congrats, you've got that.

Top Bottom