• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

He can rally all he wants, sprint's not going anywhere and we're lucky it's even nerfed to begin with. They could have easily left it the same as 4, so I'm happy that there was at least some trade off.

That's what most people can't seem to wrap their head around. A console FPS in the year two thousand and fifteen is not launching without sprint.

^ I didn't say it wasn't, just that I didn't even care enough about the game to explore its options past inverting controls.

Halo 5 would still have sprint, just like Titanfall does. Except there'd be largely no reason to not sprint once you're comfortable with the game, so you'd set "Automatic Sprint" to "Always" just like Titanfall and enjoy what is effectively Halo 5 with a faster base movement speed while also enjoying a modern shooter that launches with sprint.

Ramirez

Halo 5 would still have sprint, just like Titanfall does. Except there'd be largely no reason to not sprint once you're comfortable with the game, so you'd set "Automatic Sprint" to "Always" just like Titanfall and enjoy what is effectively Halo 5 with a faster base movement speed while always enjoying a modern shooter that launches with sprint.

But I mean we're arguing theories that are never going to be put into place. It's impossible to know if that would be more fun than the game currently is without playing it.

You don't need to answer if you can't, but why even keep Killcams? They've been buggy as hell for two games now. A lot of us don't really want them. They also take away from such things like teabagging, ruin situational awareness, post-death info is valuable for that second or two after you die. Have you guys considered maybe removing them, or making body death cam by default and allowing those who need to see how they died, the ability to press X to view the killcam?

Yeah they have never worked properly, Halo 4 always showed all the shots missing, same here, I know this is the beta, but if it never worked in Halo 4, I don't put much stock that it'll ever show what happened in Halo 5. It ends up looking amateur and takes away from the presentation of the game. They might as well take it out if they can't get it right.

Tawpgun

Halo 5 would still have sprint, just like Titanfall does. Except there'd be largely no reason to not sprint once you're comfortable with the game, so you'd set "Automatic Sprint" to "Always" just like Titanfall and enjoy what is effectively Halo 5 with a faster base movement speed while also enjoying a modern shooter that launches with sprint.

But.... Then whats the point of having it? You essentially want to have base speed. And then literally the same thing but pressing the button gives you a speed boost.

You're gonna have people complaining they want to have their weapon sway and sprint.

Haruko

That's actually a known bug in the killcam and spectator mode playback. What you're seeing is actually a player that had remained in scope the entire time but the playback is vascillating between zoomed in/out rapidly. It's purely a visual bug.

Gotcha; that's a bit relieving.

You don't need to answer if you can't, but why even keep Killcams? They've been buggy as hell for two games now. A lot of us don't really want them. They also take away from such things like teabagging, ruin situational awareness, post-death info is valuable for that second or two after you die. Have you guys considered maybe removing them, or making body death cam by default and allowing those who need to see how they died, the ability to press X to view the killcam?

Frankie mentioned last thread that "Kill cam is the most beta thing in the beta", so I'd imagine a lot of it is under review.

But I mean we're arguing theories that are never going to be put into place. It's impossible to know if that would be more fun than the game currently is without playing it.

We can already conceive of Halo 5 without sprint and a faster base movement speed. I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine these changes being implemented before Halo 5's release. It'd require new sprinting animations and the removal of slide and charge, but that's largely about it.

Ramirez

We can already conceive of Halo 5 without sprint and a faster base movement speed. I don't think it's too far-fetched to imagine these changes being implemented before Halo 5's release. It'd require new sprinting animations and the removal of slide and charge, but that's largely about it.

Alright bud, keep dreamin'.

But.... Then whats the point of having it? You essentially want to have base speed. And then literally the same thing but pressing the button gives you a speed boost.

You're gonna have people complaining they want to have their weapon sway and sprint.

I'm not certain I understand what people would be complaining about. Sprinting would have a different animation that conveys the increased movement speed, just like Titanfall.

And honestly, you could ask the same question about Titanfall. The answer to "Why does Titanfall have sprint?" is the same as why Halo 5 would have it: because modern shooters have sprint, and because new players aren't comfortable moving that quickly all the time. You get comfortable always sprinting. It's learning curve wrapped into a feature. And it checks a box.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Oh neat, beta ends early for me.

VAhHVKl.png

Ramirez

It's certainly possible. It'd require the community rallying around it, but I feel like that anti-sprint electricity is in the air. This is supposedly a beta that's looking for real feedback. Well here it is.

I think you are grossly overestimating the amount of people in the community who share your thought process.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
You're delusional.

Not really.

Empire has two sniper rifles...what all is being controlled on that map?

Truth has the sword...one power weapon.

This new outdoor mid-ship style map has one power weapon.

The night time map has....one or two snipers, I can't remember.

Do you see the theme here?

People complained about the game just being BR fights all the time in the old Halo games...but one thing that Halo 2 had at least was power weapon and powerup control.

Halo 3's Pit...an awful map in my opinion, had two snipes, camo, overshield and rockets. Plenty to control. Although I think the map sucks, at least it had a variety of stuff to time and control.

To me, everything in Halo 5 is indeed fun, but the maps feel empty and stale due to there not being the power ups and not being power weapon counters, e.g., two power weapons, one that counters the other, in otherwords, not the same power weapon twice.

VinFTW

That looks like great feedback there for the Halo 5 BETA. Not a valid complaint against the final release/outcome of the games playability.

Honestly, if you are going to use tentative test settings for the weapons on maps and beta settings, I and many others aren't going to listen or take you seriously.

Hopping on in 5. Play a match real quick, gotta save my game in DA.

Ramirez

Am I imagining all of the posts complaining about sprint in Halo 5?

Have you read the beta thread in gaming?

I'm willing to bet anything you want that sprint ships in the final game as it is in this beta, the only thing I could see changing is the recharge penalties, but I haven't seen much push back from casuals on that.

For example,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146561261&postcount=9459

Johnny Random expects sprint, that same guy probably doesn't have auto sprint enable on TF either, lol.

DJ Gunner

So no one here is frustrated about shooting someone one time and them boosting and running away? Or games playing so slow from all running away they don't reach the score limit? Am I the only one that thinks H5 is broken as hell and the map Eden is a clusterfuck of ramps, rooms, ledges, and hiding spots?

Everyone's drunk on the H5 koolaid, apparently. I have a strong suspicion that, like the last two games, what starts out as an addictive spectacle soon loses the attraction when people realize there's little substance. As long as the core gameplay revolves around playing run shoot run away in giant maps, it's going to wear thin and fast.

Ramirez

Everyone's drunk on the H5 koolaid, apparently. I have a strong suspicion that, like the last two games, what starts out as an addictive spectacle soon loses the attraction when people realize there's little substance. As long as the core gameplay revolves around playing run shoot run away in giant maps, it's going to wear thin and fast.

What poor soul was addicted to Halo 4?

Madness

Nope, but the reality is, they're just posts on a website. Most Halo fans don't like sprint, this is the third game we're getting it with. Most Halo fans vehemently never wanted ADS, it'll be in every game moving forward. Most probably could do away with killcams, they've been in Halo 4, H2A and now Halo 5. It's safe to say, we aren't influencing design decisions as much as we think, and the devs are listening instead to the overall shooter market.

Believe me, I know it sucks. But thems the breaks. You either will tolerate the changes and keep playing Halo or move on from the series, 'www.youshouldtryDota.com'. And I based most purely on anecdotal observations over the years. The various polls, discussions on Bnet, HBO, HGAF, gamefaqs, Waypoint, reddit etc.

Have you read the beta thread in gaming?

I'm willing to bet anything you want that sprint ships in the final game as it is in this beta, the only thing I could see changing is the recharge penalties, but I haven't seen much push back from casuals on that.

For example,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146561261&postcount=9459

Johnny Random expects sprint, that same guy probably doesn't have auto sprint enable on TF either, lol.

You're fighting the wrong fight Ramirez and it's frustrating. I'm not advocating against sprint. Sprint will be in Halo 5 just like Titanfall has sprint. And Johnny Random won't need to have Automatic Sprint to enjoy Halo 5, he'll just find himself sprinting quite often, not unlike in Titanfall. But I've already said this 3 different ways 3 different times.

Ramirez

You're fighting the wrong fight Ramirez and it's frustrating. I'm not advocating against sprint. Sprint will be in Halo 5 just like Titanfall has sprint. And Johnny Random won't need to have Automatic Sprint to enjoy Halo 5, he'll just find himself sprinting quite often, not unlike in Titanfall. But I've already said this 3 different ways 3 different times.

I'm not fighting any fight, just not giving myself false hope on something I know isn't changing. Same as toggable zoom functions, it's not happening dudes.

Tawpgun

I'm not certain I understand what people would be complaining about. Sprinting would have a different animation that conveys the increased movement speed, just like Titanfall.

And honestly, you could ask the same question about Titanfall. The answer to "Why does Titanfall have sprint?" is the same as why Halo 5 would have it: because modern shooters have sprint, and because new players aren't comfortable moving that quickly all the time. You get comfortable always sprinting. It's learning curve wrapped into a feature. And it checks a box.

But... there is sprint in Titanfall where you can't move side to side or backwards or shoot. Regardless of it being auto or manual. It's CLASSIC FPS sprint. In Titanfall you can just shoot SUPER quick, almost instant, when coming out of it.

There's a speed boost perk I guess? Is that what you want? I'm still confused.

Nope, but the reality is, they're just posts on a website. Most Halo fans don't like sprint, this is the third game we're getting it with. Most Halo fans vehemently never wanted ADS, it'll be in every game moving forward. Most probably could do away with killcams, they've been in Halo 4, H2A and now Halo 5. It's safe to say, we aren't influencing design decisions as much as we think, and the devs are listening instead to the overall shooter market.

Believe me, I know it sucks. But thems the breaks. You either will tolerate the changes and keep playing Halo or move on from the series, 'www.youshouldtryDota.com'. And I based most purely on anecdotal observations over the years. The various polls, discussions on Bnet, HBO, HGAF, gamefaqs, Waypoint, reddit etc.

I feel like 343 has turned a developmental corner, though. They've hired so many professional, traditional Halo players to give feedback. They've released this beta over a year out. Things like Spartan "bro"-iness are already confirmed removed. They certainly don't want to make another Halo 4.

I think they're open to big ideas and I think this is the window to share them. And I think this change addresses an otherwise clunky implementation of a feature they're determined to have.

Errr, shit, I see now. I did not mean for the e to be there, my bad.

Yeah, I meant to do 3x10^8, but my mind was telling me to do 3e8 and I typed the e anyway and then did x10^8 so I dun goofed. Feeling pretty stupid right now.

Probably not the case at all, but I thought you might have been banned for that math blunder at first.

Too be fair, there are a bunch of things to still to delve into.
All H5 has right now is 4v4 slayer, and a twist on 4v4 slayer.

A whole lot of multiplayer is yet to bee seen, hopefully they won't ruin a whole bunch of modes this time around.

But... there is sprint in Titanfall where you can't move side to side or backwards or shoot. Regardless of it being auto or manual. It's CLASSIC FPS sprint. In Titanfall you can just shoot SUPER quick, almost instant, when coming out of it.

There's a speed boost perk I guess? Is that what you want? I'm still confused.

Am I miss-remembering how sprint worked in Titanfall? Shoot. You're not confused, I just haven't played Titanfall in awhile.

Titanfall's implementation probably shouldn't be adopted 1-to-1 then, I think, because what we effectively want is a faster base movement speed while still having "sprint."

-snip-

If all people enjoy is the actual slaying part of the game...not sure how that's any different than playing a typical COD deathmatch game...where there are zero weapons on the map and nothing to control.

343 keep saying this is Arena combat...where's the "Arena" part of Halo 5? Other than it being arena-style maps...the gameplay itself isn't even remotely close to what I would call an "arena" shooter.

You look at Quake, Unreal Tournament, Painkiller, Halo CE, and other arena shooters, they all share the same principles which is controlling and timing powerups, power weapons, items and the map itself.

Only one of those things is taking place right now in Halo 5, and to me, that's what makes Halo 5 a snooze-fest.

I'm probably in the minority though with that opinion, but hey, I'm just being honest.
It's hard to disagree with this imo. I have friends who are into both CoD and Halo, some of which more into CoD over most Halo games, who like Halo 5 because you don't have to fight over Power-ups and power weapons as much as previous games lol.

Breaks my heart, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people who are liking the Beta agree with this as well. My thoughts? I was expecting Power-ups to have a huge presence in multiplayer, but after the Beta I'm not so sure anymore. I'm hoping the Power-ups just weren't used for the Beta for whatever reason and they will a big focus for the multiplayer when it releases.
No motion tracker would just be the pro playlist. Asking for no motion tracker in the base game is as delusional as asking for no sprint. It's even MORE delusional.

I don't think they will remove sprint. But there's no way they are removing motion tracker. It's been in EVERY Halo.

Best we can hope for is a change to it. Make it CoD style/Destiny style
zzzzzzz
CoD minimap
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Oh hey, new thread, been away for a bit. Gotta catch up on my Beta streams and HaloGAF salt/slrp.

Teleport is Love, Teleport is Life, imo.

Glad you guys are enjoying some fun movement in Halo finally.
Thoughts on the footage you've watched so far?
Lol what is the baseline for true Halo?

Halo CE?
Yes. What would you say and why?
I agree, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised, just disappointed. They wouldn't have to remove that stuff either:

Thrust + Crouch = Slide
Thrust + Melee = Charge​

Computer

Sprint is massively hated in H5 idk why that guy is being so defensive about it as if 343 pays him to argue. The guy he link in a post argues with everyone about how great sprint is as well. Probably why he linked him Ask any pro player or Go to the Teambeyond forums and tell them how great sprint is. Im sure you will be out number there. Sprint needs to be removed, nerfed, or cosmetic.

I'm not fighting any fight, just not giving myself false hope on something I know isn't changing. Same as toggable zoom functions, it's not happening dudes.

I dunno, when a big name player like Ninja refuses to use sprint when streaming what is essentially his livelihood, I reconsider what's possible. No one expected the Xbox One reversal on their always-online, everything's digital policy, and they weren't even doing a beta.

Halo 5 is malleable. If there's a better way to include sprint than the way it's implemented now and the community got behind it, I wouldn't be surprised to hear 343 adopt it. What I know for certain is that sprint isn't going away, and the solution I'm trying to figure out makes that conceit.

VinFTW

Sprint is massively hated in H5 idk why that guy is being so defensive about it as if 343 pays him to argue.Ask any pro player or Go to the Teambeyond forums and tell them how great sprint is. Im sure you will be out number there.

Lmao. No one is arguing that sprint is good. What posts are you reading? We're simply arguing it's a wasted effort to advocate for #nosprint.

It's not going to happen.

I dunno, when a big name player like Ninja refuses to use sprint when streaming what is essentially his livelihood, I reconsider what's possible. No one expected the Xbox One reversal on their always-online, everything's digital policy, and they weren't even doing a beta.

Halo 5 is malleable. If there's a better way to include sprint than the way it's implemented now and the community got behind it, I wouldn't be surprised to hear 343 adopt it. What I know for certain is that sprint isn't going away, and the solution I'm trying to figure out makes that conceit.

Bullshit argument. He was doing an experiment. He also went on to say 5 seconds after changed his title to "not using sprint" that sprint works in halo 5 and he wouldn't mind if it ends up in the final game.

Ramirez

Sprint is massively hated in H5 idk why that guy is being so defensive about it as if 343 pays him to argue. The guy he link in a post argues with everyone about how great sprint is as well. Probably why he linked him Ask any pro player or Go to the Teambeyond forums and tell them how great sprint is. Im sure you will be out number there.

Yes, 343 pays ME to defend them. You got me.

Computer

Lmao. No one is arguing that sprint is good. What posts are you reading? We're simply arguing it's a wasted effort to advocate for #nosprint.

Bullshit argument. He was doing an experiment. He also went on to say 5 seconds after changed his title to "not using sprint" that sprint works in halo 5 and he wouldn't mind if it ends up in the final game.

No he says he dose not want sprint. He was drunk and said he was tired of loosing because he could not sprint to his teammates aid due the huge maps due to? Sprint.

This implementation I'm trying to hash out isn't "#nosprint." That's not productive. Sprint is on the checklist that makes up Halo 5. But I think a version more along the lines of Titanfall's implementation where the natural setting is "always on" and shields recharge like normal is a preferable alternative to what we have now.

Tawpgun

Am I miss-remembering how sprint worked in Titanfall? Shoot. You're not confused, I just haven't played Titanfall in awhile.

Titanfall's implementation probably shouldn't be adopted 1-to-1 then, I think, because what we effectively want is a faster base movement speed while still having "sprint."
I think you are. Look up videos to make sure.

I just don't see the purpose of making movement speed and then movement speed+ on top of it

I think you are. Look up videos to make sure.

I just don't see the purpose of making movement speed and then movement speed+ on top of it

Isn't that essentially what Titanfall is doing, though? If it can be set to always on, it can't be that intrusive.

The purpose is to allow players to sprint, a feature that every modern shooter requires, while also essentially creating an environment where the base movement speed is increased because everyone is always sprinting.

This also removes the weird shield-doesn't-recharge balancing act introduced by the faster, more defensive sprint of old.

That's actually a known bug in the killcam and spectator mode playback. What you're seeing is actually a player that had remained in scope the entire time but the playback is vascillating between zoomed in/out rapidly. It's purely a visual bug.

I don't want to be that guy - seriously, I'm happy here - but wasn't Smart Scope described as purely a visual change?

#NoSprint
#NoMotionTracker // #SoundBasedRadar
#SaveCEPistol,SaveWeaponStarts
#ShutUpRam+Tawp
#CoherentlyComplain
#ThankYouAll.​

The cycle continues.

I don't want to be that guy - seriously, I'm happy here - but wasn't Smart Scope described as purely a visual change?

Yes, Frankie and someone else from 343 explicitly stated that. As it turns out, automatics are an exception. I don't disagree with this change, but it's unfortunate that default controls give the player an advantage over anyone using thumbstick to ADS.

Top Bottom