• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Anyone who has this game digitally and hasn't got a refund at this point is a fool, unless you just wanted the game for campaigns.

I was all for giving them time to fix it, but when I had that mindset, I never dreamed we'd be 3 months in and still be working with the same broke ass game. It's mind boggling, and you should most certainly get your $60 back if you can.

About the dedicated servers thing, I heard the countdown every single game I played the last time I booted it up. I was really confused why so many of you were saying the patch didn't even add the beep noise prior to a game starting like the patch said, because I was hearing it. Granted, we're talking <10 games, but yea.

I can't get the value of the Xbox One I purchased to be able to play the MCC, and I no longer have my xbox 360. They have my money, I have their feet to the fire to fix this to my satisfaction and the level they advertised.

And the starting match ping noise? I never hear it, whether dedicated server or not (mosstly not). But when DID I hear it? When my friend joined my lobby for custom games, forge or matchmaking. And since the game lags EVERYTIME a match or session ends, and takes up to 30 seconds to have other players show back up in your lobby guess what sound I heard a lot of?

Oh yeah, make me jump thinking my game started on it's own.

I'll put this as politely as possible: Is there any kind of meaningful quality control going on with the MCC?

I bought a physical copy, so I was screwed to begin with, but I enjoy the Campaigns enough to hold on to it, and I have a good feeling about his next patch. But make no mistake, MCC was a fustercluck the second it was released into the wild.

BokehKing

Banned
MCC is a mess, but I've decided to hold on to my copy because (unlike Destiny, which I did get a refund for), I'm reasonably sure it'll eventually be good, and in the mean time I've got other stuff to play.
You're going to play it when halo 5 comes out? What's the point, it was supposed to hold us over here until then.

Then again, I don't understand the logic of getting a refund on a working game but keeping a broken one.

Bungie built the game they wanted to make, a large sum of people all had ideas for a game that would have cost more than $60

Get those expectations in check.

As far as MCC, I just got an x1 (again) and came in to see if the game (MCC) ever got fixed, figured it could tide me over to Bloodborne, but nope..

Which is downright frustrating, because how else will you play these games online? Xbox 360? Two of the games can't even be played, Microsoft still owes an apology to us, who cares about getting odst if that's not going to work either.

Haruko

I have digital but didn't seek a refund, for a combination of campaign and I'd rather not download all of those GB again if I can avoid it.

That and you have a very finite number of digital refunds to use, as far as I've heard

SaganIsGOAT

I'll put this as politely as possible: Is there any kind of meaningful quality control going on with the MCC?

I just remember at PAX how after each game of Team Slayer on Lockdown they had to dashboard each Xbox and restart the game. At the time I viewed it as "hey this is early code no need to worry", but with how things launched...

You're going to play it when halo 5 comes out? What's the point, it was supposed to hold us over here until then.

Then again, I don't understand the logic of getting a refund on a working game but keeping a broken one.

Bungie built the game they wanted to make, a large sum of people all had ideas for a game that would have cost more than $60

Get those expectations in check.

As far as MCC, I just got an x1 (again) and came in to see if the game (MCC) ever got fixed, figured it could tide me over to Bloodborne, but nope..

Which is downright frustrating, because how else will you play these games online? Xbox 360? Two of the games can't even be played, Microsoft still owes an apology to us, who cares about getting odst if that's not going to work either.

I've been replaying the campaigns fairly regularly for years now, so yeah, I'll probably play it after Halo 5 drops.

As for Destiny, it's like I said: like the MCC, the game they advertised was a different beast than the game they delivered, but unlike the MCC, I don't expect that they'll go back and fix my problems with it. Thus, refund.

Madness

MCC is a mess, but I've decided to hold on to my copy because (unlike Destiny, which I did get a refund for), I'm reasonably sure it'll eventually be good, and in the mean time I've got other stuff to play.

So why not get the full refund and buy when it works then if you have other stuff to play? I'm almost certain when it's fixed they'll have some sort of massive sale to bring back some players, maybe even make it free or something. It's one thing if you went physical or even if you still try and play a few matches, but I don't know.

I've been replaying the campaigns fairly regularly for years now, so yeah, I'll probably play it after Halo 5 drops.

As for Destiny, it's like I said: like the MCC, the game they advertised was a different beast than the game they delivered, but unlike the MCC, I don't expect that they'll go back and fix my problems with it. Thus, refund.

What did they advertise Destiny as?

Karl2177

Except MCC isn't going to be fixed. Frank can come in here saying he has high hopes for the patch two thousand times and it still doesn't mean that the patch will do anything aside from add terrible Spartan Ops. #IStandWithRam

also they had a beta for Destiny. How did you not get what you were advertised when it was literally free?

So why not get the full refund and buy when it works then if you have other stuff to play? I'm almost certain when it's fixed they'll have some sort of massive sale to bring back some players, maybe even make it free or something. It's one thing if you went physical or even if you still try and play a few matches, but I don't know.

Mostly because I used my refund on Destiny.

Unless that's one hassle-free refund per calendar year, rather than one per 365 days. In which case I might do that.

What did they advertise Destiny as?

The phrase "epic story" comes to mind.

Except MCC isn't going to be fixed. Frank can come in here saying he has high hopes for the patch two thousand times and it still doesn't mean that the patch will do anything aside from add terrible Spartan Ops. #IStandWithRam

also they had a beta for Destiny. How did you not get what you were advertised when it was literally free?

Eh. I think they'll get it eventually.

As to the beta, like many people, I got swept up in the hype and advertising. I'm not saying that I'm blameless, here.

willow ve

So, have we reached the "this game is never going to be properly fixed" mode?

Just saying... what if one or two mega-patches later the matchmaking and things make it "mostly" working? This one has been cooking in the oven for quite awhile compared to the weekly/bi-weekly Band-Aid patches.

I understand no guarantees at this point, but still, what if...?

It's never going to be fixed.

They can't even launch a beta patch at this point.

Fraaaaannnnnkieeeeee

I had a feeling this was a case of skewed results. Glad the guy did the math.
Seriously I'm glade someone is actually using fact and unbias to prove the truth especially in this community.

Went to page two to see the OP of the original infographic trying to say that his is still arguably correct because he thinks an individual Breakout round counts as a whole "match"... The wonders of confirmation bias in action
I love People lol. Hearing some people on Waypoint is cringe worthy sometimes

Damn. I smell a retort deloping.

Is "confirmation bias" the new buzz word?
Yeah seems to be Since the Whole 11% thing.

N1BYHIi.jpg
lol HAHAHA i love this gif lol.

Hey! It's my day off.

At 12:30 pm PST, want to play a game? I have super fast Cox internet so I'll be the Hostess with the Mostest. My gamertag is AnonomissX. People call me AnonomissX.

It's BYOB.

Impala26

The phrase "epic story" comes to mind.

As to the beta, like many people, I got swept up in the hype and advertising. I'm not saying that I'm blameless, here.

2 rite m8

Seriously, aside from the raid(s) that I've yet to do, I'd rather continue replaying the same Halo campaign missions that I've probably already logged several whole days of my life playing than try to jump back into the RNG XP/loot grindfest that is Destiny.

I understand why some like it (it's the same addictive itch that a gambler or a WoW player might get), but it's just not for me and it almost felt like a slap in the face when it was advertised as "a new epic space adventure, from the people who brought you Halo&#8482;".

SaganIsGOAT

2 rite m8

Seriously, aside from the raid(s) that I've yet to do, I'd rather continue replaying the same Halo campaign missions that I've probably already logged several whole days of my life playing than try to jump back into the RNG XP/loot grindfest that is Destiny.

I understand why some like it (it's the same addictive itch that a gambler or a WoW player might get), but it's just not for me.

That is honestly the reason I quit playing. Then I learned I could earn high light gear simply by running strikes and buying it from the Vanguards thus removing randomness from the factor.

FyreWulff

The data collection method doesn't seem consistent enough to actually be a good control, and the data set is too small.

The UI being an indicator of dedis or not depends on both a) it being true in the first place and b) the MCC UI working correctly. Since 343 themselves has said the MCC is messed up and has a big incoming patch, it's reasonable to expect you can't depend on the MCC's UI as an indicator of dedi-ness.

The collectors of data are not disclosing their NAT or their ability to connect to MS's datacenters. Dedicated servers do not solve NAT, this will be a problem as long as we are on IPv4. In this case P2P will be the fallback so you can at least play. There may also be peers that are actually closer to you with enough bandwidth to host than any MS datacenter, so these people also need to disclose their geographical location. It wouldn't make any sense to connect to a Seattle datacenter if everyone in the game is in Texas (assuming Seattle is the only datacenter for shiggles), for example.

The amount of collectors of data is not large enough to be an indicator. This was like someone saying everyone vetoes for BR in Team Slayer in 360 H3 over 100 games played in one day, but then you looked at the unique games for the day, those "lots of games" became 0.0083% of the total games collected by the servers that day. You're looking at a thin slice of a thin slice of a thin slice of data.

jem0208

It blows my mind that there are still apologists and still people committed to giving more of their money to this company.

Personally, I just don't care. Yeah, the MCC is broken, yeah their communication probably hasn't been good enough and some of the stuff they've said has been a bit questionable. Honestly they're not a particularly good company. However I play games for fun, and skipping games to "send a message" isn't much fun.

That said, should probably wait until we find out if it works. However after a pretty reasonable experience with beta I'm not too worried.

Madness

Unless that's one hassle-free refund per calendar year, rather than one per 365 days. In which case I might do that. The phrase "epic story" comes to mind.

There is a one refund a year policy? Even for broken games? Never thought about that. I figured if you had a good reason for a refund you could get it, especially if the game has had issues.

There is a one refund a year policy? Even for broken games? Never thought about that. I figured if you had a good reason for a refund you could get it, especially if the game has had issues.

There's no hard-and-fast limit, but apparently if you get too many refunds in too short a period (whatever the reasons) they put your account on some sort of watchlist type deal. Not terribly sure of the specifics, just heard that 1 refund per year is the safety point.

dwells

The collectors of data are not disclosing their NAT or their ability to connect to MS's datacenters. Dedicated servers do not solve NAT, this will be a problem as long as we are on IPv4. In this case P2P will be the fallback so you can at least play.
That's not quite correct. While dedicated servers aren't a solution for extreme outlier network connectivity issues, they do pretty much solve the NAT issue. NAT connectivity problems really only affect peer to peer communications in this context. To oversimplify, issues occur when moderate or strict NAT users attempt to connect to other moderate or strict NAT users. Dedicated servers would be the equivalent of "open NAT," and skirt around the issue.

Once again, massively oversimplifying, take a computer behind a firewalled router with no port forwarding or UPnP. It's going to have strict or moderate NAT. But it's not going to have issues surfing the web and connecting to servers. If it tries to take on a role of server in either a host-client or peer-to-peer application, it'll have problems, sure. But strictly as a client it should be fine.

Regarding what you said about the small sample size, it's definitely true. However, it's enough to strongly call into question the ridiculous claim of "vast majority of games are on dedicated servers" when the data shows the absolute opposite. People like myself have also confirmed this through the more reliable method of monitoring their inbound and outbound network traffic. Given that I also saw a dedicated server occurrence rate of under ten percent, I'm willing to take these findings at face value.

Personally, I just don't care. Yeah, the MCC is broken, yeah their communication probably hasn't been good enough and some of the stuff they've said has been a bit questionable. Honestly they're not a particularly good company. However I play games for fun, and skipping games to "send a message" isn't much fun.
Personally, I'm of the mindset of if I give someone sixty dollars for something and they kick me in the balls instead, I'm not going to go back to them with another sixty dollars. But hey, that's just me.

RdN

The data collection method doesn't seem consistent enough to actually be a good control, and the data set is too small.

The UI being an indicator of dedis or not depends on both a) it being true in the first place and b) the MCC UI working correctly. Since 343 themselves has said the MCC is messed up and has a big incoming patch, it's reasonable to expect you can't depend on the MCC's UI as an indicator of dedi-ness.

The collectors of data are not disclosing their NAT or their ability to connect to MS's datacenters. Dedicated servers do not solve NAT, this will be a problem as long as we are on IPv4. In this case P2P will be the fallback so you can at least play. There may also be peers that are actually closer to you with enough bandwidth to host than any MS datacenter, so these people also need to disclose their geographical location. It wouldn't make any sense to connect to a Seattle datacenter if everyone in the game is in Texas (assuming Seattle is the only datacenter for shiggles), for example.

The amount of collectors of data is not large enough to be an indicator. This was like someone saying everyone vetoes for BR in Team Slayer in 360 H3 over 100 games played in one day, but then you looked at the unique games for the day, those "lots of games" became 0.0083% of the total games collected by the servers that day. You're looking at a thin slice of a thin slice of a thin slice of data.

Regarding bold: yes, they are.

On the rest, I would agree with you if this "survey" was the only one pointing at this result, but it's not.

We have most of the community complaining about the lack of dedicated servers since launch, to the point where the pressure got so big that 343i had to come out and say that they were working fine, which, of course, they weren't and still aren't.

Regarding bold: yes, they are.

On the rest, I would agree with you if this "survey" was the only one pointing at this result, but it's not.

We have most of the community complaining about the lack of dedicated servers since launch, to the point where the pressure got so big that 343i had to come out and say that they were working fine, which, of course, they weren't and still aren't.

But his whole point is that there isn't enough rigor in the analysis, and the anecdotal evidence doesn't contradict that, it confirms it. The MCC is in a shitty state, but we have no way of knowing exactly why, as things stand right now.

Haruko

From &#8207;@Brav:
The latest on MCC content & playlist updates - 2.9.15 Community Update:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-2-9-15

After further evaluation, the team has determined that that final testing for the content update will be completed internally, and we will not be conducting a beta test for the next CU. Also, it was determined that the additional time and work devoted to the beta would&#8217;ve actually postponed the public availability of the content update. Lastly, there were some added challenges surrounding the CU beta &#8211; including an extra series of required updates and rollbacks - that made us take a step back and reexamine the CU beta. Ultimately, this plan will allow us to deliver the smoothest possible experience, and ensure that the next content update becomes available as soon as possible.

Progress on the CU continues, and we&#8217;ll work to provide an ETA once the final date is locked. As stated last week, our current focus and priority remains delivering the upcoming improvements to the matchmaking and party systems, but the team is also working on and prioritizing additional items beyond this, and I look forward to discussing these &#8211; a lot more &#8211; as we get closer to those updates.

RdN

But his whole point is that there isn't enough rigor in the analysis, and the anecdotal evidence doesn't contradict that, it confirms it. The MCC is in a shitty state, but we have no way of knowing exactly why, as things stand right now.

Does it matter why?

Dedicated servers have been fucked up since launch. At first 343i was silent. When the pressure got too big, they came out with a footnote saying that everything is fine and most games are on dedis, which anyone who (tries to) play the game regularly can attest to the contrary.

I see this analysis as way to gain attention to the issue and call 343i out on their bullshit.

Does it matter why?

Dedicated servers have been fucked up since launch. At first 343i was silent. When the pressure got too big, they came out with a footnote saying that everything is fine and most games are on dedis, which anyone who (tries to) play the game regularly can attest to the contrary.

I see this analysis as way to gain attention to the issue and call 343i out on their bullshit.

Well... not really. The games play terribly, but that's no guarantee of P2P.

Though you do make a good point about keeping 343's feet to the fire.

Madness

From &#8207;@Brav:
The latest on MCC content & playlist updates - 2.9.15 Community Update:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-2-9-15

Damn, I know people want updates, but at this point, there is only so much "will provide ETA", "progress continues", "remains out top priority" you can take before you just say, eh, I'm over it. The beta for the patch was supposed to happen like 4 weeks ago. So they delayed it by a month to figure out that they didn't need a beta for the patch and that having a beta would have delayed the rollout of the patch. It's been a month, what's going on?

Halo The Master Chief Collection was released 91 days ago, and it's still not fixed. I highly doubt were gonna get this big update before the century mark.

dwells

Damn, I know people want updates, but at this point, there is only so much "will provide ETA", "progress continues", "remains out top priority" you can take before you just say, eh, I'm over it. The beta for the patch was supposed to happen like 4 weeks ago. So they delayed it by a month to figure out that they didn't need a beta for the patch and that having a beta would have delayed the rollout of the patch. It's been a month, what's going on?
It seems pretty clear that they have absolutely no idea what's going on. Announcing the beta patch, then delaying indefinitely, and then canceling it is one of their bigger fumbles lately.

Why does there always have to be a problem with this franchise.. Halo is a cursed brand :[
The only reason this post works is because no one cares about you enough to actually go through your 10,000,000 post history.
How could you say something like this to another, you monster..

"Why doesn't 343 ever talk? Just communicate already!"

*343 communicates*

"Ugh, why do they even bother communicating?"

Next few months to get Relic.

Were they planning DLC for May or June?

And internal testing...so people who signed up can't report to them all the things still MISSING. It feels like a collective "We are secretly sticking our fingers in our ears and not listening to youuuuuu!"

Artwork is nice. Hard to screw up Relic.

RowdyReverb

People say they want more frequent updates, but what they really want is the patch or a solid release date when 343 has neither.

Madness

"Why doesn't 343 ever talk? Just communicate already!"

*343 communicates*

"Ugh, why do they even bother communicating?"

Re-read what I said. I wrote that I know people want updates, but there is only so much fluff you can take week after week before you just go okay, I'm done. Bravo has literally said the same thing verbatim almost everytime, with the same buzzwords.

Don't know who you're trying to mimic, but I haven't really complained much about "343 not talking to us". But if they do talk, I want meaningful things to read.

Re-read what I said. I wrote that I know people want updates, but there is only so much fluff you can take week after week before you just go okay, I'm done. Bravo has literally said the same thing verbatim almost everytime, with the same buzzwords.

Don't know who you're trying to mimic, but I haven't really complained much about "343 not talking to us". But if they do talk, I want meaningful things to read.

Not trying to call you out specifically. Just the general sentiment.

Madness

Also includes Relic concept art:

relic_concept1_1120x630-8a9f56846fa5444aa95f19cb8d7209ee.jpg

relic_concept2_1120x630-e0256591c9d34e6f8775880f7e8d2a6e.jpg

Relic was selected not only due to its popularity, but also how it complements the suite of H2A maps and adds another map fitting for 12-16 players.

Probably also selected due to the fact it's a very simple map that is easy for Certain Affinity to recreate. Let's hope they keep the more color version, even though the original was very basic and brown and sandy.

jelly

Pity Relic will likely have that shiny Forerunner texture. 343 needs to bin that and go for the more ancient and mysterious look.

Akai__

I appreciate these weekly written updates. Even if they say no ETA, it's much better than the silence.

Team Snipers is also a pretty good addition. I wouldn't replace Team SWAT for it, though. Because it seems to have the best population currently and I'm finding matches every time, even in a party.

Pity Relic will likely have that shiny Forerunner texture. 343 needs to bin that and go for the more ancient and mysterious look.

An other map, that will probably be destroyed by Certain Affinity's terrible coloring and color filters. I really don't like how the map looks in H2A. :/

link1201

Seconded.

I am really getting bummed out. I just wanna play Halo...:'( I know it is somewhat playable now but it's not where I can get my group of friends together and play BTB and that is what really hurts..

Disagreed. I think they need to introduce some elements that are more clearly weathered and decayed in and around forerunner structures, to more clearly give an idea of their age, but I like the shiny look. It hammers home how stupidly advanced they are; they laugh at the passage of time.

Impala26

Probably also selected due to the fact it's a very simple map that is easy for Certain Affinity to recreate. Let's hope they keep the more color version, even though the original was very basic and brown and sandy.

Indeed, it's hard to be even MORE drab than the original map. The clouds and lighting did it no favors either--it was like distant storm approaching blotting out the sun if I'm recalling it correctly?

See above.
This is a case where the more organic looking Forerunner architecture would actually be WELCOME. I'd be fine leaving it similar to the original (it is called RELIC after all), but something else color-wise would need to be added. In that case, I'd call for added tropical trees/greenery or perhaps much like with Zenith they could wow us with another fantastic and bright skybox.

Top Bottom