• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

gAg CruSh3r

Maybe NeoGAF in general is just moving slowly on a Monday?
Even DestinyGAF (aka Destiny Looking for Group) is barely moving today.

Also MCC is still broken.

Yeah, I know. Mondays are always a drag anyways. The only thing I been doing with MCC has been forge. Even that has some hick ups.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I sent Josh Holmes a tweet asking what the population stats were for each starting weapons set during the Halo 5 beta.

I'm interested in those numbers.

Personally, I played a few games during the initial week of the AR/Pistol start, then a few games more during the BR/Pistol start, and then I couldn't stop playing the AR/BR start, then when they went back to AR/Pistol, I stopped completely.

ayyy

SnMAiGn.jpg

Lol Zach Anner is the best!

Halo.

jem0208

Leading off from some of the comments in the Gaming side thread, how well could a Battlefield sized BTB work?

I think it could be amazing. Although I wouldn't be surprised if loadouts returned for it.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I know. Mondays are always a drag anyways. The only thing I been doing with MCC has been forge. Even that has some hick ups.

Going through the par scores for the campaigns, and then I'm going to start practicing jumps for Legendary speedruns. Still having a lot of fun.

(Still trying to decide which incarnation of the Flood is the most annoying... the "psych, I'm not dead!" a la CE, or the "resurrecting constantly via infection forms" in 3. At least you can bash apart them so much easier in the latter game.)

Impala26

Going through the par scores for the campaigns, and then I'm going to start practicing jumps for Legendary speedruns. Still having a lot of fun.

(Still trying to decide which incarnation of the Flood is the most annoying... the "psych, I'm not dead!" a la CE, or the "resurrecting constantly via infection forms" in 3. At least you can bash apart them so much easier in the latter game.)

No debate. The latter you can prepare for and anticipate, the former is just too unpredictable at times.

Did the part of the Bungie dev team working on the Flood play a bit too much Resident Evil or something while working on them?

Fuchsdh

No debate. The latter you can prepare for and anticipate, the former is just too unpredictable at times.

Did the part of the Bungie dev team working on the Flood play a bit too much Resident Evil or something while working on them?

I suppose. I realize, especially with the MCC but starting with Reach and its infuriating Legendary mode, that I've started relying on campaign scoring as a bit of a crutch—when I see the little number I know I took down an enemy for good, so I'm not surprised by the Elite hiding behind the crate or getting shanked by the enemies I thought I cleared.

Mdot

Leading off from some of the comments in the Gaming side thread, how well could a Battlefield sized BTB work?

I think it could be amazing. Although I wouldn't be surprised if loadouts returned for it.

That thread was the first I read about Battlefield-sized BTB. It could be interesting depending on weapon balance and loadouts. Having a ton of vehicles available would be a lot of fun too.

Were there any posts or details to support the rumor/claim?

jem0208

That thread was the first I read about Battlefield-sized BTB. It could be interesting depending on weapon balance and loadouts. Having a ton of vehicles available would be a lot of fun too.

Were there any posts or details to support the rumor/claim?

It would definitely be quite difficult to balance. Vehicles especially.

Well there was Kamp's claim that the battles would be "Reach sized". Then there were comments was back from Ntkrnl saying the H5 beta maps will be huge. Maybe it was originally intended to be a larger betws which covered more than just arena.

Then there's obviously the clear distinction they keep making between "arena" and the "larger multiplayer experiences".

tootsi666

It could be amazing but it could also be just poor man's BF with long TTK and fast movement speed. Matches could easily be just pinging other players from 200 metres.

jem0208

It could be amazing but it could also be just poor man's BF with long TTK and fast movement speed. Matches could easily be just pinging other players from 200 metres.

It's going to depend on how the maps are designed. I think lots of interconnected arena style spaces could work very well. Large scale vehicle based combat would take place between and around the smaller arena spaces. The classic Halo infantry combat would then be retained inside the smaller spaces.

Halo 5 BTB like you guys are dreaming for would have to run at 540p and 24FPS on the Xbone.

Ehh, BF4 is 720p and 60 fps. It's also a cross gen game on 5 different platforms which was rushed for the console launches. Focused on a single platform, 343 could use some wizardry and push for 900p, 60fps.

Computer

It's going to depend on how the maps are designed. I think lots of interconnected arena style spaces could work very well. Large scale vehicle based combat would take place between and around the smaller arena spaces. The classic Halo infantry combat would then be retained inside the smaller spaces.

This could work and it sounds like a wet dream. Would like to see dynamic maps and destructible environments. Make it happen 343.

Halo 5 BTB like you guys are dreaming for would have to run at 540p and 24FPS on the Xbone.

I was thinking the same thing. The frame drops in the strong hold game type at 720p is very sad. I was very underwhelmed when it comes to H5's graphics so far.

Madness

BF: Hardline plays well enough, I might just get that, and put MCC away to get my shooter fix. Who knows when the new transformative patch coming, when ranks come, etc.

Mdot

Yea, that would be the key. Maintaining the same gameplay over huge areas would be needed and could be accomplished by having smaller skirmish areas. I think when you consider it on BF scale but with Halo dynamics, it becomes exciting. Thinking of it just as BF in the Haloverse wouldn't be too hot.

dwells

Great post on reddit showing 343i's lies about dedicated servers on TMCC:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2vb1e0/proof_most_mcc_games_not_on_dedicated_servers/
I've been saying this for a while, I was just monitoring my network traffic to do the same thing. Nice seeing some numbers though. Apparently "vast majority" actually means "well under ten percent."

This is what you're supporting if you buy Halo 5, everyone. A company that has no qualms with lying directly to the fans who purchased their game. Do you really want to send the message to 343 and the rest of the industry that consumers are okay with being sold a broken product and lied to about it?

I've been saying this for a while, I was just monitoring my network traffic to do the same thing. Nice seeing some numbers though. Apparently "vast majority" actually means "well under ten percent."

This is what you're supporting if you buy Halo 5, everyone. A company that has no qualms with lying directly to the fans who purchased their game. Do you really want to send the message to 343 and the rest of the industry that consumers are okay with being sold a broken product and lied to about it?

Different teams. MCC is a weird situation with too much on the line and too much wrong. We're not electing a politician, we're playing video games. Something something Halo 5 is gud.

RdN

Different teams. MCC is a weird situation with too much on the line and too much wrong. We're not electing a politician, we're playing video games. Something something Halo 5 is gud.

While the development teams might be different, the people doing the communication will be the same.

The same Bravo, Bonnie and, unfortunately, even Frankie, that have time after time outright lied to us about dedicated servers will still be at the helm for Halo 5.

Ramirez

That refund option is looking mighty tempting right now.....

Anyone who has this game digitally and hasn't got a refund at this point is a fool, unless you just wanted the game for campaigns.

I was all for giving them time to fix it, but when I had that mindset, I never dreamed we'd be 3 months in and still be working with the same broke ass game. It's mind boggling, and you should most certainly get your $60 back if you can.

About the dedicated servers thing, I heard the countdown every single game I played the last time I booted it up. I was really confused why so many of you were saying the patch didn't even add the beep noise prior to a game starting like the patch said, because I was hearing it. Granted, we're talking <10 games, but yea.

jem0208

Anyone who has this game digitally and hasn't got a refund at this point is a fool, unless you just wanted the game for campaigns.

I was all for giving them time to fix it, but when I had that mindset, I never dreamed we'd be 3 months in and still be working with the same broke ass game. It's mind boggling, and you should most certainly get your $60 back if you can.

I've been playing a lot recently. Not trying to defend the game, it's been a massive failure, however I'm glad I never got a refund.

Tomash

Great post on reddit showing 343i's lies about dedicated servers on TMCC:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2vb1e0/proof_most_mcc_games_not_on_dedicated_servers/

Same thing is happening in Advanced Warfare, Driftor used some network tool to find out IP's of hosts he's connecting to, and only 1/3 of his games were hosted on dedicated servers. And his connection is not at fault, he has 15 ms ping to closest dedicated servers. It's just Activision being cheap.

Unlike MCC, dedicated servers were not advertised and they were not major selling point for Advanced Warfare. Dedicated server were advertised for CoD:Ghosts, but Activison backtracked on dedicated servers and said game will use hybrid system of dedicated and listen servers p2p. Was it known(before release) that MCC will use p2p as 'fallback'?

willow ve

About the dedicated servers thing, I heard the countdown every single game I played the last time I booted it up. I was really confused why so many of you were saying the patch didn't even add the beep noise prior to a game starting like the patch said, because I was hearing it. Granted, we're talking <10 games, but yea.

I wonder if they'll refund my X1 purchase?
Bought the MCC "bundle" that was offered last November with MCC as a digital download code in the box.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Madness

Obviously the new "debunk" seems more plausible when he does the math but it's just funny seeing people try to draw conclusions using inaccurate statistics they don't really have. Who cares which one is played more or less.

On a related note, I'm just thinking if MCC worked perfectly day one, just the sales that could have been. The game was charting ahead of all Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare games on Amazon. If it worked, I can easily see it having gotten 3-5 million sales this holiday. Imagine the impact it would've had on the H5 beta then as well.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Went to page two to see the OP of the original infographic trying to say that his is still arguably correct because he thinks an individual Breakout round counts as a whole "match"... The wonders of confirmation bias in action

N1BYHIi.jpg

jem0208

No, not you. Never.

When have I actually ever defended the state of the MCC? I have said time and time again that the game is a complete mess.

Went to page two to see the OP of the original infographic trying to say that his is still arguably correct because he thinks an individual Breakout round counts as a whole "match"... The wonders of confirmation bias in action

To give his theory credit the average number of kills per match seems to be around 9...

181'389'366/20'000'000 = 9.069...

The dude is a chode. I love that he's saying "I won't apologize, and won't remake it, but if the information is wrong sorry I guess".

Karl2177

When have I actually ever defended the state of the MCC? I have said time and time again that the game is a complete mess.

The only reason this post works is because no one cares about you enough to actually go through your 10,000,000 post history.

MCC is a mess, but I've decided to hold on to my copy because (unlike Destiny, which I did get a refund for), I'm reasonably sure it'll eventually be good, and in the mean time I've got other stuff to play.

dwells

While the development teams might be different, the people doing the communication will be the same.

The same Bravo, Bonnie and, unfortunately, even Frankie, that have time after time outright lied to us about dedicated servers will still be at the helm for Halo 5.
I believe Digital Limit's post was a parody of the people who actually buy into all the misdirection and are okay giving more money to 343.

Like you said, the whole "separate teams" argument is bunk given the involvement of people like Bonnie, Dan Ayoub, Frankie, Bravo, etc. It's still the same company managed by the same higher-ups who are allowing this to happen. The same people who limited "compensation" to pre-holiday players, who haven't offered a refund/recall program, who have allowed for constant lies and misinformation, who have been okay with zero transparency and extremely poor communication.

It blows my mind that there are still apologists and still people committed to giving more of their money to this company.

Impala26

So, have we reached the "this game is never going to be properly fixed" mode?

Just saying... what if one or two mega-patches later the matchmaking and things make it "mostly" working? This one has been cooking in the oven for quite awhile compared to the weekly/bi-weekly Band-Aid patches.

I understand no guarantees at this point, but still, what if...?

Top Bottom