• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

Was able to get the survey. Let's hope whoever gets to test the update will be able to help them finally lock the issues down and get the game as good as it can be.

Finally played some games of the MCC and I must say Halo 2 anniverasry just feels so slow in comparison to Halo 5. I adjusted so much to Halo 5 gameplay that now going back is quite harsh. I wasn't expecting that.

Any of you nerds gonna be in San Antonio tomorrow night and want to hang out? I should be all checked into my hotel by 8/9 PM, so if anybody wants to get together for a few hours, I'd be down.

PM me with # to txt or DM me on Twitter if we're already buds.

EDIT: to clarify, tomorrow means Thurs.

-Ryn

Banned
Let's see if this breaks your internet:

binary_rifle_frame_60fps_by_prinzeugn-d8ewbge.gif

Backstory for those who missed it.
waffle-falling-over-explosion.gif

I want this in Halo. DO IT 343. DO IT NOW.
Please...

in other news, I discovered 1080/60 monstercat videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7djAdK3HAuk

chansub-global-emoticon-3a624954918104fe-19x27.png
My ears are having a little party in the sound scape. It's wonderful.

Mix

Any of you nerds gonna be in San Antonio tomorrow night and want to hang out? I should be all checked into my hotel by 8/9 PM, so if anybody wants to get together for a few hours, I'd be down.

PM me with # to txt or DM me on Twitter if we're already buds.

EDIT: to clarify, tomorrow means Thurs.

PM'd

EDIT: Aaaaaand PM'd again, forgot to send my number

fxByH9F.png

Can't... form... a party...
Can't form... Can't form a party...

I've got something to tell ya
I've got news for you
Gonna put some wheels in motion
Get ready 'cause we're coming through
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
Happiness is just around the corner
Hey now, hey now, hear what I say now
We'll be there for you

The Betabus is coming
To Master Chief's Collection
Cairo to New Mombasa
This game's a real kielbasa
But things just might get patched, wow!
They've said the same for months now...
Hey, don't be such a hater
And opt-in to the beta

Move over Duncan, the Vengabus is coming.

Akai__

Does anyone know how to get into the preview program? I'd like to be able to participate in things like this in the future.

Somebody who is already in the preview program has to invite you.

If nobody has done it yet, just tell me your GT and I will send you an invite. It usually takes like 1 or 2 days, until you get accepted.

dwells

1.23.15 MCC Content Update Beta Announced.

BETA.FOR.AN.UPDATE.

Recall it already.
It's seriously mind-blowing. I think what bothers me the most is the lack of transparency and communication that has accompanied all this. Things have been shady from the start with this collection.

No reason to recall it, looks like they've literally rebuilt the matchmaking from the ground up.

I would have assumed anyone not riding this ship into the bottom of the ocean would have gotten a refund by now anyways.
We can only speculate, but one would guess that the fact that the beta won't be compatible with the current build (alpha?) means there's a pretty drastic change in there. Now they just need to fix the dozens and dozens of other issues outside of matchmaking.

And if only it were possible for us physical copy folks to get refunds. I would have a long time ago, but the retailer I bought from shot me down.

I love modern video games.
Isn't it great how games go gold without being finished and then you download the rest and this is deemed industry-acceptable? Mater Chief Collection is definitely exceptional in its terrible-ness, but buying games in general sucks now. Don't worry, though - once you drop another $60 for the season pass you might wind up with all the content that should have been in the original game.

Were all Halo junkies. Regardless of what happens, come November, we're all going to have bought the game and will be playing it. We know it, 343 knows it.
Hey man, speak for yourself. Halo 5 is a skip for me, even if Master Chief Collection miraculously winds up becoming everything that was promised. 343 has damaged the franchise and their brand reputation enough that I've just decided to move on. Plus, I just wasn't a huge fan of Halo 5; even at the semi-pro level it wasn't all that exciting.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's seriously mind-blowing. I think what bothers me the most is the lack of transparency and communication that has accompanied all this. Things have been shady from the start with this collection.

We can only speculate, but one would guess that the fact that the beta won't be compatible with the current build (alpha?) means there's a pretty drastic change in there. Now they just need to fix the dozens and dozens of other issues outside of matchmaking.

And if only it were possible for us physical copy folks to get refunds. I would have a long time ago, but the retailer I bought from shot me down.

Isn't it great how games go gold without being finished and then you download the rest and this is deemed industry-acceptable? Mater Chief Collection is definitely exceptional in its terrible-ness, but buying games in general sucks now. Don't worry, though - once you drop another $60 for the season pass you might wind up with all the content that should have been in the original game.

Hey man, speak for yourself. Halo 5 is a skip for me, even if Master Chief Collection miraculously winds up becoming everything that was promised. 343 has damaged the franchise and their brand reputation enough that I've just decided to move on. Plus, I just wasn't a huge fan of Halo 5; even at the semi-pro level it wasn't all that exciting.

You bring up a good point about games going gold.

Im not a game developer, but when I read up on the process of game development...there is a lengthy process leading up to when the game goes gold.

For example, via wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development

Milestones[edit]

Commercial game development projects may be required to meet milestones set by publisher. Milestones mark major events during game development and are used to track game's progress.[149] Such milestones may be, for example, first playable,[150][151] alpha,[152][153] or beta[153] game versions. Project milestones depend on the developer schedules.[149]

There is no industry standard for defining milestones, and such vary depending on publisher, year, or project.[154] Some common milestones for two-year development cycle are as follows:[149]

First playable[edit]

The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets,[149] this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements.[150] It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production.[151] Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha.[150] First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.[153]

Alpha[edit]

See also: Alpha release

Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[153] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[154] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[153] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[154] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[152] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release.[153]

Code freeze[edit]

Code freeze is the stage when new code is no longer added to the game and only bugs are being corrected. Code freeze occurs three to four months before code release.[153]

Beta[edit]

See also: Beta release

Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed.[152][153] This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable.[152] No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.[153]

Code release[edit]

Code release is the stage when all bugs are fixed and game is ready to be shipped or submitted for console manufacturer review. This version is tested against QA test plan. First code release candidate is usually ready three to four weeks before code release.[153]

Gold master[edit]

See also: Release to manufacturing

Gold master is the final game's build that is used as a master for production of the game.[155]

Crunch time[edit]

Overtime is expected in the games industry.[156] Particularly, crunch time or crunch mode[157] is unpaid overtime requested by many companies to meet project deadlines and milestones[158] that negatively affects game developers.[159] A team missing a deadline risks the danger of having the project cancelled[160] or employees being laid off.[159] Although many companies are reducing the amount of crunch time,[156] it is still prominent in smaller companies.[161]

Many companies offer time-off, called comp time or extra paid time off after product ships to compensate for crunch time's negative effects. Some companies offer bonuses and financial rewards for successful milestone reach.[162] Sometimes on-site crunch meals are offered and delivered to the team during crunch time.[157]

The International Game Developers Association (IGDA) surveyed nearly 1,000 game developers in 2004 and produced a report to highlight the many problems caused by bad practice.[163]

Post-production[edit]

After the game goes gold and ships, some developers will give team members comp time (perhaps up to a week or two) to compensate for the overtime put in to complete the game, though this compensation is not standard.

If this is pretty accurate...how could MCC make it past first playable?

Furthermore...why was this not tested with friends and family via Xbox Live? Practically every Halo game prior to this has always been close-tested through Friends and Family.

Just floors me that this was actually considered okay to ship.

willow ve

This right here. I'm skipping on Halo 5. Feels bad to be done with the franchise, but I can't see myself enjoying it like previous titles.

Hoping end of the year to have rumours of a Borderlands / Borderworlds game to fill my life. Until then it's Destiny grinding and / or MCC if it ever gets fixed.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This right here. I'm skipping on Halo 5. Feels bad to be done with the franchise, but I can't see myself enjoying it like previous titles.

Hoping end of the year to have rumours of a Borderlands / Borderworlds game to fill my life. Until then it's Destiny grinding and / or MCC if it ever gets fixed.

I would never pick Destiny grinding over Halo 5. Or any game with grinding over Halo 5.

-Ryn

Banned

Getting déjà vu here...

Something about grinding and lesser of 2 evils. Destiny is not the lesser of 2 evils IMHO.

Plus, grinding over actual fun? Nope.
Unless you enjoy the grind... for whatever reason...

willow ve

I would never pick Destiny grinding over Halo 5. Or any game with grinding over Halo 5.

Getting déjà vu here...

Something about grinding and lesser of 2 evils. Destiny is not the lesser of 2 evils IMHO.

Plus, grinding over actual fun? Nope.
Unless you enjoy the grind... for whatever reason...

I appreciate cooperative "grinding" tasks like daily missions, kill "x" enemies, or participation in public events. These allow me to pickup a controller at any random moment and join up with other people to complete tasks. Personally I really enjoy this type of structured-yet-unstructured gaming environment.

Along the way your characters level up, your weapons and armor level, and you have chances to get new loot (or buy new loot). To me that's more enjoyable than whatever it is Halo 5 is trying to be. Now if MCC works as promised we have a different story - then I might spend my precious gaming moments rushing rockets or sniper, but as of today MCC is still broken.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Again only North America, same as with the feedback programm for the H5Beta.

You know what fuck you, 343.

At least Nintendo understands how to fuck NA.

I appreciate cooperative "grinding" tasks like daily missions, kill "x" enemies, or participation in public events. These allow me to pickup a controller at any random moment and join up with other people to complete tasks. Personally I really enjoy this type of structured-yet-unstructured gaming environment.

Along the way your characters level up, your weapons and armor level, and you have chances to get new loot (or buy new loot). To me that's more enjoyable than whatever it is Halo 5 is trying to be. Now if MCC works as promised we have a different story - then I might spend my precious gaming moments rushing rockets or sniper, but as of today MCC is still broken.

The loot treadmill is infinite and inconclusive. No matter how it is presented, I would rather play a game with a clear, attainable goal that is achieved through a well-defined sequence of accomplishments that reward skill and punish bad play.

Mdot

This whole thing is hilarious. Remember when games shipped and you couldn't update them? They might have sucked, but they worked.

I will never pre-order a game again. Prove to me your product works and then I will purchase.

Do we know if this beta test of an update is due to the matchmaking changes done to overall Live that was mentioned a while ago? Correct me if I'm wrong, but where MCC was shipping with the newest, non-fully tested update to the entire structure of Live matchmaking?

jem0208

Their reasoning for it makes sense though.

It sounds like they're going to have set play times when they want everyone on so they can do lots of testing. They wouldn't be able to do the testing for internationals because it'll be the middle of the night...

-Ryn

Banned

Well if it floats your boat, float it.

Not much point playing a game you don't enjoy. Hopefully this patch beta will lead to a solid improvement to the MCC.

Isn't there legal disputes or something they've gotta work with? I remember Frank saying something to that effect about the 3 day early access beta or something.

Impala26

At least Nintendo understands how to fuck NA.

The loot treadmill is infinite and inconclusive. No matter how it is presented, I would rather play a game with a clear, attainable goal that is achieved through a well-defined sequence of accomplishments that reward skill and punish bad play.

Japan-exclusive Pokemon events immediately comes to mind to me. XD

I actually quite enjoyed Destiny for a time, but it was once I took some time away from it that I was able to see the forest through the trees--the game is a shallow loot grind fest (presented through attractive environments, music and gameplay loop). I'm not saying folks shouldn't play it, but I personally don't really have the motivation to grind the same tasks against the same enemies in the same locations anymore.

IHaveIce

Banned
Their reasoning for it makes sense though.

It sounds like they're going to have set play times when they want everyone on so they can do lots of testing. They wouldn't be able to do the testing for internationals because it'll be the middle of the night...

Or you have multiple sessions. It is no secret Microsoft is awful at handling worldwide communites.

The problem is MS has no real studio in Europe and other parts of the world.

If I'm again being connected with US people AFTER their little beta test is over and I still have more network problems then US players... well yeah.

Being in several game tests that were also not for the public or only for interns seeing how 343 and MS justifies their beta tests and feedback program is hilarious.

Edit: Oh I also went back to Destiny, while there still the same issues, the game works, I can connect to other players and can have fun in coOp.
From a technical point Destiny shits all over the MCC, game design decisions in Destiny though are dumb and I often wonder if really Bungie developed it or a crazy horde of monkeys

Edit: -Ryn despite Frank or anyone else telling you this (they said the same about the feedback programm) there are no real legal issues. Other games did the same just fine, I have like 6 on my mind from last year where there were no "legal issues"

Overdoziz

Banned
Isn't there legal disputes or something they've gotta work with? I remember Frank saying something to that effect about the 3 day early access beta or something.
Not sure what makes this so special that it causes legal issues. Other games seem to be doing fine with similar stuff.

-Ryn

Banned
Or you have multiple sessions. It is no secret Microsoft is awful at handling worldwide communites.

The problem is MS has no real studio in Europe and other parts of the world.

If I'm again being connected with US people AFTER their little beta test is over and I still have more network problems then US players... well yeah.

Being in several game tests that were also not for the public or only for interns seeing how 343 and MS justifies their beta tests and feedback program is hilarious.

Edit: Oh I also went back to Destiny, while there still the same issues, the game works, I can connect to other players and can have fun in coOp.
From a technical point Destiny shits all over the MCC, game design decisions in Destiny though are dumb and I often wonder if really Bungie developed it or a crazy horde of monkeys

Edit: -Ryn despite Frank or anyone else telling you this (they said the same about the feedback programm) there are no real legal issues. Other games did the same just fine, I have like 6 on my mind from last year where there were no "legal issues"
Not sure what makes this so special that it causes legal issues. Other games seem to be doing fine with similar stuff.
Eh, I don't understand it myself.

Just figured it might be a possibility if it was one before... *sigh*

I hate not knowing what's going on.

Madness

You guys do realize that limiting it to North America only means that not only is the time zones within 3 hours of each other only, but that they could also account for any lag or connectivity issues. Remember, they are based in Kirkland Washington and will probably be online to test with people who are selected.

6pm PST for 343 is 9pm EST for people in the east, but its 2am for people in London, 3am in Berlin etc.

Pretty sure it's just a case of convenience and simplicity to limit it to the US, Canada and Mexico. Plus if it gets fixed, it benefits everyone.

RowdyReverb

I opted into the beta, but had to say no for availability tomorrow night on the survey. Would like to participate on Saturday/Sunday though. We'll see if they still pick me.

IHaveIce

Banned
You guys do realize that limiting it to North America only means that not only is the time zones within 3 hours of each other only, but that they could also account for any lag or connectivity issues. Remember, they are based in Kirkland Washington and will probably be online to test with people who are selected.

6pm PST for 343 is 9pm EST for people in the east, but its 2am for people in London, 3am in Berlin etc.

Pretty sure it's just a case of convenience and simplicity to limit it to the US, Canada and Mexico. Plus if it gets fixed, it benefits everyone.

Or like I said arrive in 2015 and have a community team that also tests if the game works for people outside of the US.

Extrem case, let's say they tune something on the dedicated servers and from now on the servers think European and Aussie connections aren't good enough and put them on p2p.
I mean that would not happen but can anyone guarantee me this at this point?

it more like they don't even try to hide it and do something comparable for the EU/Oceania and other folks. Why don't we get any feedback program at all?

Madness

Or like I said arrive in 2015 and have a community team that also tests if the game works for people outside of the US.

Extrem case, let's say they tune something on the dedicated servers and from now on the servers think European and Aussie connections aren't good enough and put them on p2p.
I mean that would not happen but can anyone guarantee me this at this point?

it more like they don't even try to hide it and do something comparable for the EU/Oceania and other folks. Why don't we get any feedback program at all?

But you're just assuming the worst here. The point of this beta is to test their new patch which likely changes the underlying matchmaking and party systems. I don't know about you, but it makes zero sense, financially and from a developmental standpoint, to also have the same test done in Europe or Australia largely so that fans don't get upset. The US is the largest market for Halo, and the studio is based out of Washington state, as is Microsoft/Xbox. 343 is not some Ubisoft entity large enough to have several branches across the world, nor would they dedicate any large resources to things like this. The studio is busy at work on Halo 5. This is probably a limited beta test where they can get potentially hundreds of players who live close to each other, can play at the same time with their test and networking teams in Kirkland.

I get what you're saying about having a shitty experience outside of the US. But I don't think that's the point of this patch, about whether it will improve anything in terms of region or geographically, but whether it can keep parties together, lobbies together, match people quicker, who knows? Maybe Frank or Tashi can explain why this wasn't opened up to non-NA users.

-Ryn

Banned
How is spartan assault on the xbone? It looks kinda fun
I've heard mixed reviews but been unable to try it out myself aside from the first level which was kinda fun. Supposedly the co op is good.

I'd give it a shot if you can stand Palmer.

Well damn. That's pretty awesome. Great silhouette. Love the bayonet-like tip that lines up with the barrel underneath.

edit: Only thing I'm not too sure about is the practicality of the stock/butt of the rifle being animated where your arms would normally be wrapped around.
Thanks! Yeah, that part of the transform is little rough, I'll probably change it later to extend differently. I was thinking of the player literally holding it more or less at the hip, then as they start actually shoulder the stock it extends. Ergonomically it's kind of a mess, but then again that's almost a trope for Halo weapons (do not trip while holding a needler).

I prefer v.1. Both are really good though.
Thanks! I'm working on having it transition between the two with the animation, but it's tricky to get it to look good both ways with the same parts.
I like it and all the moving pieces, it would be cool to see even more of it move around and change.
Yep! I might try to do more later, this was actually my first foray into animation in several years. I also used Photoshop's timeline animation for the first time, so definitely a work in progress as I get the hang of it. Ideally there'd also be a firing and reload animation, but we'll see since I also want to color it.
waffle-falling-over-explosion.gif

I want this in Halo. DO IT 343. DO IT NOW.
Thanks!

IHaveIce

Banned
But you're just assuming the worst here. The point of this beta is to test their new patch which likely changes the underlying matchmaking and party systems. I don't know about you, but it makes zero sense, financially and from a developmental standpoint, to also have the same test done in Europe or Australia largely so that fans don't get upset. The US is the largest market for Halo, and the studio is based out of Washington state, as is Microsoft/Xbox. 343 is not some Ubisoft entity large enough to have several branches across the world, nor would they dedicate any large resources to things like this. The studio is busy at work on Halo 5. This is probably a limited beta test where they can get potentially hundreds of players who live close to each other, can play at the same time with their test and networking teams in Kirkland.

I get what you're saying about having a shitty experience outside of the US. But I don't think that's the point of this patch, about whether it will improve anything in terms of region or geographically, but whether it can keep parties together, lobbies together, match people quicker, who knows? Maybe Frank or Tashi can explain why this wasn't opened up to non-NA users.

To the first bolded, that's what the MCC taught me to do.
Financially??? You let people at home who are still owed a working game test it for you.
And Xbox IS big enough, 343 may be not.
And yes Halo and Xbox's biggest market is in the US and with things like this this won't change.

Sure it may have some sense in this case, but I'm seeing the bigger picture 343 and Microsoft are handling for years now.
And of course it would make some (at least some little) developmental sense since EU players are responding to different servers for all their apps and games than US people.

Other AAA games DO the same test for a game at different times on different continents. Sure they also test their games before they release so whatever.

I'm fully aware my points are biased and probably aren't objective at all but this just happens when it gets more and more clear you don't want to support a company anymore which works on your once favorite franchise.

So I've been playing the 4 playlist waaay too much. Ended up getting like 3 perfect games yesterday, I guess not many good players jump over to that playlist. But on a funny note I beat a team on pitfall using the turret with the gunner perk and got a hate message over it.

A hate message because I beat you with the turret. So good.

Seriously though does anyone wanna jump on 4 with me some time? I can only play H2A so much.

Chitown B

seriously? There have been perpetual updates and update lists.

Ergonomically it's kind of a mess, but then again that's almost a trope for Halo weapons (do not trip while holding a needler).

Now I really want to see some kind of contextual "hoisted by his own petard" assassinations where you forearm-check the enemy and then jam their own needler's business end right into their face, triggering a supercombine. Kind of raises a "where's the gore" question, but I could absolutely see a move like that getting used in a book featuring more Headhunters. Dudebro-191 smashes a nerfle's munitions into an Elite's maw and his head blows up like firecrackers in a cantaloupe, etc.

dwells

seriously? There have been perpetual updates and update lists.
Yes, seriously. Patch notes for largely ineffective patches and sticking to the same "none of these issues existed before launch" nonsense don't count as transparent and effective communication. I mean come on, Dan Ayoub still hasn't come out of hiding.

Mix

OH YASS

The new book focuses on Buck and his ODSTs
becoming Spartans!
This is going to be so good, I need it now.

Suggestion: if the enemy's wielding a power weapon, hit Melee and Action (pick up weapon) while initiating an assassination to use the enemy's weapon against them during the vignette. Jam Needler into their face, punch a sizable dent into the ammo ports of the Rocket Launcher and action roll out of the way before it explodes in the enemy's hands, rip out the power supply of a Binary Rifle and spear the dude with it causing him to get composed, etc.

Top Bottom