• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
How're yall gonna use the paddles on the Elite Controller with Halo 5? I'm thinking:

- Thrust on the upper left
- Swap grenades on the bottom left
- Swap weapons on the upper right

And then I'll try reload on the bottom right, but I'll probably just leave it unassigned. This is using bumper jumper, of course.

something involving ADS. unless 343 ditch the auto re-scope system from the beta. please.

i made it more marketable ;)

T7B5N0K.jpg

Shia-Labeouf-motivation-just-do-it.gif

They were ramping Thorne up a lot- I wonder if he'll be in Halo 5 in some capacity, even though Buck took the spot.

Also, was looking at the art book on amazon and saw this:

YV5F5CQ.jpg

That's gotta be a decent sign for the reception of the Elite Controller. Any of you guys getting it? I definitely am.

I'll be stalking amazon and the stores for a good deal come this holiday massacre, er I mean black friday

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Speaking of Hunters in the Dark-
someone said many pages ago that there's a lot of walking. Finished it the other day... And yes. There was a lot of walking lol. At least with Primordium, it was engaging, and carried the story and it gave you a vivid sense of scale. In this, seemed more of a placeholder to get characters from A to B, and I had a hard time imagining where the hell they were in regards to Ark locales.
My early points validated!

Really disliked the travelling. Also hated how the characters were in one location but within walking distances of others. This is supposed to be the fucking Ark.

500px-ArkScaleComparison.gif

It dwarfs the Earth, yet the book didn't convey the scale at all. In fact, it made it seem very, very small.

Also, the meatborg stuff was downright insultingly stupid. Showhorning that crap into the book was not needed.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What the hell is a meatborg? Spoil me I don't care

In the latest Halo book, set a few years before Halo 5, the
monitor of Installation 00, Tragic Solitude, kills a team sent to Ark after the events of Halo 3. He spares one of the team and uses him to reactivate the Halo firing sequence. This is a plot to force the Ark's portal to Earth to be re-opened, as the monitor wishes to seek revenge against Humanity for damaging the Ark. He plans to sent thousands of Retrievers - Forerunner bots, to harvest Earth for resources, along with the rest of the Sol system, before re-firing the entire Halo array for shits and giggles.

Instead of just keeping the sole survivor alive, TS turns him into a shitty version of Robocop, with knives and blades in his hands. He needed a human to activate the firing sequence, as that's how the system works.

MmayW6rcng-2.png

He also happens to be the brother of the
second team member they send to Ark to stop the array firing. Funny how he always talks about his brother in case you forget that they are brothers. They are related. Brothers. Bros. Family. Brothers. He is brainwashed to kill on command! He defeats Tragic Solitude via his love and humanity. Ugh.

TTK will be up your alley then. That's what they're going for with the Dreadnaught. It's a giant space dungeon.

Wait, what thread am I in?

Ohh, ok I am certainly more interested now.

Found a new Warzone gameplay video, and the Magnum's Smart Scope has a glitch at one point (about 50 seconds in). The gameplay itself is pretty average, but it's like 16 minutes long and covers a good amount of the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_wTs0N2VJM

Also, the Banshee seems to have some sort of shield system where when it breaks, bubbles come out.

Seems pretty cool.

I wonder if power weapon and vehicle spots still exist outside of the stations.

Oh, whoa.

This actually looks great.

So, took me a few days to complete H1-H4 legendary solo and I am almost done with H3:ODST. Some thoughts on H1-3(ODST) compared to Halo 4 and some of my remarks.

• Really glad that the Covenant (and Prometheans this time around) will be speaking English once more in Halo 5. I sorely missed the personality of the Covenant in Halo 4, with Prometheans it was sort of even worse. None of the Promethean enemy variants had any personality whatsoever, and it didn't do any good on my tolerance for the Promethean knights (more on that later). I also preferred the attitude of the Marines in earlier iterations, nothing more amusing than seeing one get all cocky and then suddenly get vaporized by the enemy, Halo 4's seemed more silent..
  • Promethean knights are not a fun enemy to fight. I came upon this revelation when I was at the last console in Midnight. Weapons seem to despawn a lot faster in Halo 4, having to make do with a light rifle and a boltshot versus a plethora of knights is not really fun inducing. They just sponge and sponge and teleport around, their melee can either one hit kill you or bounce you away and that will probably also lead to death. Not to mention that if you don't have the means to kill the watchers, it's gonna be rough.
    In general I hope that the Knights get somewhat of a rework and become the Hunters of the Promethean faction. This would open up Soldiers to be more like Brute and Elites in their behavior and number.
  • Minor nitpick, but I hope that Halo 4 had a lack of blood due to the original 360 version's limitations. I loved how in H1-H3 blood would actually stain the ground, seeing a bunch of grunts getting torn to bits and the ground stained with fluorescent blue blood is a nice touch, a battlefield isn't emaculately clean. On that note, in '343 Guilty Spark' it was actually used to good effect that something was coming, entire hallways were covered, shit had went down there!
  • Sound mix. Playing these games back to back it actually became very noticeable. The older games would pump you up with the proper music thrown in, Halo 4's was most of the time not really that memorable (bar 117) or way too silent. Nothing beats the OG Halo theme in getting you ready to finish those damn fights.
    Also, thank the lord that we're going back to a more classic style of Halo music in Halo 5, I don't mind some experimental tracks by Kazuma (he did good in 4) but god.. unlike Unforgotten or any version of it, I actually am glad that Halo 4's menu music isn't continuously being played.
  • Finally, while on the topic of sounds. The weapons. Mind you, by now it probably seems like I am ripping good into Halo 4, but I am highlighting my negatives when I am comparing them back to back. I LOVED the sounds in Halo 2 anniversary, sadly it seems that they aren't being retained for Halo 5. The wimpy storm rifle doesn't hold a candle to the classic sound of the plasma rifle. The plasma pistol suffers from the same issue, the old sounds are just superior. Now, the carbine.. damn that thing sounds like it packs a punch in H2A, but it sounds so dinky in Halo 5.. hell, from the footage that I saw the Halo 4 iteration even sounded like it packed more of a punch.

The BR, sniper and shotgun also sound very much superior in H2A than they do in H4/H5.

It's been so much fun to play through all the campaigns again. It's actually funny how all the other campaigns (bar perhaps CE) feel like heroic mode after completing H2 on legendary.

Anyone else having issues with MCC? My group that im playing with has constant issues right now. Disconnects in a match, freezes, crashing...

Wasnt like that yesterday.

blamite

Well... That sure sounds like something that'd happen in 343's version of the Halo universe.

That is to say, it's completely fucking stupid.

By the way, does
the recovery of that 343 clone or whatever
come up at all? Can we expect that nonsense to become relevant any time soon?

-Ryn

Banned
Why would you ever do that?
Lookin to make a special connection probably.

monitor of Installation 00, Tragic Solitude, kills a team sent to Ark after the events of Halo 3. He spares one of the team and uses him to reactivate the Halo firing sequence. This is a plot to force the Ark's portal to Earth to be re-opened, as the monitor wishes to seek revenge against Humanity for damaging the Ark. He plans to sent thousands of Retrievers - Forerunner bots, to harvest Earth for resources, along with the rest of the Sol system, before re-firing the entire Halo array for shits and giggles.

Instead of just keeping the sole survivor alive, TS turns him into a shitty version of Robocop, with knives and blades in his hands. He needed a human to activate the firing sequence, as that's how the system works.

MmayW6rcng-2.png

second team member they send to Ark to stop the array firing. Funny how he always talks about his brother in case you forget that they are brothers. They are related. Brothers. Bros. Family. Brothers. He is brainwashed to kill on command! He defeats Tragic Solitude via his love and humanity. Ugh.
irk8dutwfcmio7nooruurto.gif

Novocaine

Well I just finished Halo 4. I've beaten all of the MCC single player campaigns now including ODST.

At first I was cool with Halo 4, but after completing it I can now totally understand why fans are upset with 343, I'm not even sure I want to get Halo 5 now. I mean it checked a lot of the boxes for Halo but none of the new stuff was interesting or fun, maybe the animations for the new guns. And the ending was just awful. The other games had cheesy endings but this really took it to a new level. I guess if I was more into the multiplayer I'd have a different opinion? I don't know. I went in with an open mind though but overall I'm kind of disappointed with it. I'm looking forward to playing Reach whenever it comes out on BC or as DLC for MCC.

In any case as far as enjoyment of SP campaigns go my ranking would be;

Halo 3 > ODST > Halo > Halo 2 > Halo 4.

Also is Spartan Assault worth playing? Reviews seem somewhat mixed.

Well I just finished Halo 4. I've beaten all of the MCC single player campaigns now including ODST.

At first I was cool with Halo 4, but after completing it I can now totally understand why fans are upset with 343, I'm not even sure I want to get Halo 5 now. I mean it checked a lot of the boxes for Halo but none of the new stuff was interesting or fun, maybe the animations for the new guns. And the ending was just awful. The other games had cheesy endings but this really took it to a new level. I guess if I was more into the multiplayer I'd have a different opinion? I don't know. I went in with an open mind though but overall I'm kind of disappointed with it. I'm looking forward to playing Reach whenever it comes out on BC or as DLC for MCC.

In any case as far as enjoyment of SP campaigns go my ranking would be;

Halo 3 > ODST > Halo > Halo 2 > Halo 4.

Also is Spartan Assault worth playing? Reviews seem somewhat mixed.

Don't bother with Spartan Assault and if you're interested in th story of Halo 5, you should definitely give it a shot; it looks very promising. I am concerned about the level design for the campaign, though. The E3 presentation was really weak.

darthbob

MmayW6rcng-2.png

god I miss Nylund

My early points validated!

Really disliked the travelling. Also hated how the characters were in one location but within walking distances of others. This is supposed to be the fucking Ark.

500px-ArkScaleComparison.gif

It dwarfs the Earth, yet the book didn't convey the scale at all. In fact, it made it seem very, very small.

Also, the meatborg stuff was downright insultingly stupid. Showhorning that crap into the book was not needed.

Agreed.
It made the Ark seem very small. They crash-landed somewhere on the Ark and within 100 pages or less they were already where they needed to be. Granted, they probably crashed close to their intended destination, but none of that is really explained in great detail. Any references to locations or distance are glossed over any time they are mentioned, as if they were moving at high velocity. In Primordium, you feel the distance as you read along. The traveling/journey is almost a character in of itself... But I'd surrender that to the writing skills of Greg Bear- the dude knows how to write in scale.

Yeah and the meatborg stuff was just unnecessary imo, unless it's a subtle hint of what "surprises" may be in store for enemies that will be faced other than Covenant and Promethean... But why go through all of that instead of just using the Flood instead. :p

Well, it's not necessarily the meatborg that was unnecessary, but it being Kodiak's brother was what made me roll my eyes. It was shoehorned in there pretty lazily and had no emotional threat or payoff. The mental struggle with the Elites was much better character development and I wanted to read more about it than what was written.

By the way, does
the recovery of that 343 clone or whatever
come up at all? Can we expect that nonsense to become relevant any time soon?

343gs is still MIA and in control of the UNSC Rubicon. Not even 000 Tragic Solitude knew where he went.

god I miss Nylund

Reading Hunters In the Dark made me love Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx, and the Forerunner trilogy even more than I already do. Nylund... Bear... We need more of that pls.

That all being said- I'm still very hopeful for Last Light this fall. And we have Frank's new novella really soon.

MmayW6rcng-2.png

I uh, wat.

343 needs to get some better quality control for the expanded universe.

Novocaine

Don't bother with Spartan Assault and if you're interested in th story of Halo 5, you should definitely give it a shot; it looks very promising. I am concerned about the level design for the campaign, though. The E3 presentation was really weak.

I'll keep an eye on it for sure, but it will not be a day one get for me. The idea of Warzone actually has me interested in multiplayer but knowing me I'll get frustrated with/bored of it rather quickly. I skipped the E3 presentation because I was still mid way through 4, maybe I'll go back and watch it now.

I'd recommend Spartan Strike over Assault, for the most part it improves on it in everyway. Fun game.

I can't get Spartan Strike on my XBO, only assault. I'll keep an eye out for it if it releases though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

MmayW6rcng-2.png

r872Yfl.jpg

god I miss Nylund

Yeah...

Vico

Thorne is listed on Halo 5's page on Imdb.
I'm not saying it confirms anything, but I'd be surprised if he isn't in it, considering most of the characters introduced by 343 are confirmed to be in.

Thorne is listed on Halo 5's page on Imdb.
I'm not saying it confirms anything, but I'd be surprised if he isn't in it, considering most of the characters introduced by 343 are confirmed in the game.

True. And they had "Spartan Tanaka" listed well over a year ago on imdb and it was taken down later. I hope he returns. He's a solid character.

I'll keep an eye on it for sure, but it will not be a day one get for me. The idea of Warzone actually has me interested in multiplayer but knowing me I'll get frustrated with/bored of it rather quickly. I skipped the E3 presentation because I was still mid way through 4, maybe I'll go back and watch it now.

What I love about Warzone is that it is a great way for Campaign players to transition into multiplayer. Since there is a mix of AI and players, you can be occupied and contribute by taking down the AI and occasionally duel players for practice before you jump into the Arena. Plus, all the DLC will be free, so you'd be missing out on a complete multiplayer experience.

MmayW6rcng-2.png

And 343 allowed this to go to print?!

It sounds like bad fanfiction!!

What the fuck?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom